New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VII: Common Sense is not RAW.

Okay, advice you want, advice it is.

But first, a disclaimer: I don't play space wolves. Nor have I often played against space wolves. Nor do I consider myself a 40k expert. But I do know what I'm doing.

Looking over your list, it looked to me like you focused huge points on your the Wolf Lord and TWolves, which seems like a mistake to me. Large blocks of close combat units (assault marines, or the space wolf equivalent) are, in my opinion, better than small super-elite units who get picked off by lascannons. Of course, while hammernators beat everything, a squad of 5 hammernators is like 200 points or so. Your TWolves are 320 points. Please tell me they have multiple wounds or something. What I'm trying to say is that really expensive, over-tricked out units will draw a ton AP2 fire, particularly in this list, where there's nothing else for the AP2 fire to focus on, really.

I don't know what that lone wolf does. But from what I know of the armory (frost blades are weak relic blades, IIRC) it looks like he's a wimpy independent character who'll just die. Maybe he has a special rule that makes him awesome, I don't know.

As for heavy support, there isn't a single tank in the army. I know what you'll say: "But I have long fangs!" But the long fangs are equipped with only 2 lascannons. They're inferior to a predator's anti-tank ability, at significantly less durability since they lack bolter model meat-shields to pawn wounds off to, and they're about the same points IIRC. If you want long fangs instead of a tank, get rid of the half-ass grey hunter squad with only 5 men, and add 5 bolter models to the long fangs. This way your heavy guns won't die horribly on turn 2. But really, just get a tank instead.

And the other thing: You have a lot of melta guns in your grey hunters squad. Well, melta guns are good for tank hunting, especially with a rhino, like you have. But the thing is, to me, it seems like the grey hunters must have a better target for their shooting, something that the other 8 squad members can actually hurt. So I would switch those to plasma guns, for max marine-frying.

Sadly, this is mostly guesswork because, well, read the disclaimer.
    Last edited by Incomp; 2010-08-03 at 12:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Wolf Lord – 265
    Wolf Mount
    Runic Armor
    Wolf tooth Necklace
    Storm Shield
    Frost weapon
    Saga of the Bear

Rune Priest - 110
    Chooser of the Slain
    Power Armor
    Bolt Pistol
    Frag and Krak Grenade
    Living Lightning
    Jaws of the horrid Wolf

Lone Wolf 95
    Frost Blade
    Storm Shield
    Melta bombs

3 TWolfs – 320
    Twolf# 1 power fist storm shield
    Twolf# 2 thunderhammer stormshield
    Twolf# 3 Frost axe stormshield

10 Grey hunters 215
    2 Melta Guns
    Power fist
    Rhino

10 Grey hunters 215
    2 Melta Guns
    Power fist
    Rhino

5 Grey Hunters 125
    Flamer
    Power Weapon
    Rhino

5 Long Fangs 170
    1 Squad Leader
    2 Lascannons
    2 Heavy Bolters
    1 Plasma Cannon
    -The HQs look just like the should and will do wonders.

-Drop the Lone wolf he will do very little for his points which are better spent elsewhere

-I would drop the hammer and fist on the TWs for frost weapons. They will be Str 6 which is plenty to kill anything and its best to stick to your Init so you do not get swamped by attacks.

-drop all the weapons on the long fangs. leave them with missle launchers, not only is it cheaper it is also more flexible and able to take out just as much.

with your saved points (getting rid of the lone wolf, nixing the heavy weapons and changing around weapons on TWs) I would say you should invest in another long fangs unit or flesh out the unit of grey hunters (going to 10 men and adding mark of the wolfen and banners)
    Check out my horrible homebrews

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is my first list, so advice would be great. Here it goes...

Space Wolves 1500 Points
    Just as a general super-helpful hint, if this is your first list, you might want to start with something a little less than 1500. Maybe try 750 or 1000 before you go jump in the deep-end?

Anyway,

Spoiler
    Show
    Wolf Lord – 265
    Frost Weapon, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Wolf Tooth Necklace
    Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Bear
    Yep. If you're going to build a Wolf Lord, this is exactly how you do it. On Weapon Skill 6, he doesn't really need the Wolf Tooth Necklace though.

Rune Priest - 110
    Chooser of the Slain
    Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf
    No. Taking Living Lightning and JotWW at the same time is pointless. Anything that you actually might want to kill with JotWW is either a Vehicle, Monstrous Creature or has excellent Initiative anyway, and so is better of being hit by Living Lightning. A lot of Monstrous Creatures also have excellent Initiative as well. Anything that isn't worth hitting with JotWW, isn't worth hitting with JotWW.

It's easily one of the more over-rated powers in the game. Swap it for Storm Caller, Tempest's Wrath or Murderous Hurricane.

Lone Wolf 95
    Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Melta bombs
    Lone Wolves are good. Until you have enough points to take anything else. In 1500, LWs are one of the wastes of space in the SW Codex.

Grey hunters (x10) - 215
    x2 Melta Guns, Power fist
    + Rhino
    Ew. The model with a Power Fist gets one attack. Probably a waste of time unless you know what you're doing. It involves Wolf Guard. You can get a Wolf Guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta for a whole two points less, as well as gain an extra attack, and an extra point of Leadership for Counter-Attack.
    See my 1000 point list, linked below.

Swap the Rhino for a Drop Pod.

Grey hunters (x10) 215
    x2 Melta Guns, Power fist
    + Rhino
    Again, Power Fists are kind of pointless on Grey Hunters. Get a Wolf Guard with one instead.

Grey Hunters (x5) - 125
    Flamer, Power Weapon
    + Rhino
    Small squad. Leads to sad face, in the end. Drop your Lone Wolf for more Grey Hunters. If you really want to, I suggest swapping all your Rhinos for Drop Pods. Make sure you have an odd number of them though.

TWolfs (x3) – 320
    First off, having a Power Fist and a Thunderhammer is pointless. Two Power Fists would be better. Or just max out on Thunder Hammers, because your Wolf Lord can take care of everything else.

The other reason that you would arm your models this way, is if you were planning on using 'Musical Wounds'. Now, if someone else told you about this, you should know, straight off, that it's not cool to b0rk the rules this way.

However, since this is your first list, there's a chance you may not know what Musical Wounds is, and, if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you what it is, because I don't encourage it in any way.

Long Fangs (x6) - 170
    x2 Lascannons, 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Plasma Cannon
    Squad Leader
    By my count, that's six Long Fangs. Not five like you had. And this configuration is crap.
    x5 Missile Launchers, or x5 Heavy Bolters. Anything else is too expensive, and you're better off spending your points elsewhere.

One of the best configurations for Long Fangs that I know of, is

Long Fangs (x6) - 140 Points
    x5 Missile Launchers

Then, make sure you've got at least four Wolf Guard, add in a fifth. Give him Terminator Armour, give him a Cyclone Missile Launcher (total +63 Points). Now you've got a single unit, capable of firing seven Missiles a turn, potentially at different targets, at the same time. And, due to the way Missile Launchers work, you can swap between Frags and Kraks at any time.

This entire unit is a little over 200 points. Well worth it though. The Wolf Guard also brings a Power Weapon to the table which can be handy when your dedicated shooty unit gets Assaulted.

If you're interested, here's my 1000 point list that rarely ever loses, with added Battle Report to go with it. I heard people like my Battles. So, there's no real harm plugging it.
    Add in another squad of Grey Hunters (with a Rhino, not a Drop Pod, because that would make four Drop Pods, and crap), and add Thunderwolves, and that should easily bring it to 1500.

The other, main criticism I have with the list, is that at 1500 points, you should be looking at at least four Troops choices for Space Wolves, since they can't Combat Squad, and they aren't Guardsmen.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 02:59 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The other reason that you would arm your models this way, is if you were planning on using 'Musical Wounds'. Now, if someone else told you about this, you should know, straight off, that it's not cool to b0rk the rules this way.

However, since this is your first list, there's a chance you may not know what Musical Wounds is, and, if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you what it is, because I don't encourage it in any way.
    Y'know, you're the first person I've met who actually has a problem with doing it.
    I wouldn't recommend it either, just 'cause there aren't enough models in the unit to justify it.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

I've just had to look up what 'Musical Wounds' were...and that's just not cricket. It's blatant rules exploitation, nothing less, and would probably result in me refusing to play someone that was taking advantage of that little quirk. Either that or drop a Vindicator template on the whole unit and make the rules exploitation academic.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Ew. The model with a Power Fist gets one attack.
    this makes little sense as an argument. since most people suggest and run SM sergeants with fists. They only ever have more attacks on the charge or when the SW fails to countercharge (which is rare)

However I agree the Wolf guard is prolly the best way to go (though the set up you describe is actually 3 points more) or swap the fist for the mark of the wulfen (which has more attacks and rending)

Swap the Rhino for a Drop Pod.
    What is the logic with this suggestion (on only 1 unit) you should rarely drop your troops where they will get killed the next turn.
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2010-08-03 at 04:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

What is the logic with this suggestion (one only 1 unit) you should rarely drop your troops where they will get killed the next turn.
    Unless you are playing Imperial Guards!
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Y'know, you're the first person I've met who actually has a problem with doing it.
    What? You're actually okay with large units of Nob Bikers that do exactly that? Or when you join an Alpha Warrior (or two) to a unit of Carnifii?

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    this makes little sense as an argument. since most people suggest and run SM sergeants with fists.
    For starters, Grey Hunters are not Space Marine Sergeants.

Space Marine Sergeants have 2 Attacks, base.
    Grey Hunters have 1 attack, plus a pistol and CCW. You give someone a Power Fist, and they drop to having just one attack. Paying 25 points for one attack is a terrible investment. Especially when you can give one to a Wolf Guard, gain an attack, and a point of leadership, for 2 points less.

What is the logic with this suggestion (on only 1 unit) you should rarely drop your troops where they will get killed the next turn.
    This is true.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 05:30 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

For starters, Grey Hunters are not Space Marine Sergeants.
    sorry let me clarify...

A normal SM does not have counter attack and thus when attacked only has 2 attacks a Space Wolf on the other hand does and has 2 attacks when charged (provided a leadership test is passed) Any combat which lasts more than 1 round of combat is probably a bad spot for your troops to be in ether way.

So I guess my point was in the first round of combat the two options are the same (barring the SM charging of course) and any combat which last more than 1 round is prolly a loss for you (or a pile of really bad rolls)

But than again I will agree with the guard over the single fist. But when you have one already, its not a 100% bad option. But when its the option of only 1 model my suggestion would be the mark of the wulfen each time

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    A normal SM does not have counter attack and thus when attacked only has 2 attacks a Space Wolf on the other hand does and has 2 attacks when charged
    What? When using Power Fists;
    An SM Sergeant, when charging, has 3 attacks.
    A Grey Hunter, when charging, has 2 attacks.

An SM Sergeant, being charged, has 2 attacks. No matter what. Including subsequent rounds of Assault.
    A Grey Hunter, being charged, has 1 attack, unless he passes a Leadership Test (on Ld 8), then he gets 2. In subsequent rounds of Assault, he has 1 attack.

How is a Grey Hunter the same as an SM Sergeant? He has one more attack in every situation, unless the Grey Hunter manages to Counter-Attack, in which case they're the same. But, an SM Sergeant doesn't need to pass a Leadership to get his extra Attack.

Any combat which lasts more than 1 round of combat is probably a bad spot for your troops to be in ether way.
    And Space Wolves can't Combat Tactics out. Or be up against a Fearless enemy. If Space Wolves don't decisively win combat in one round (which may or may not include pulling Counter-Attack off), they drop in effectiveness pretty quickly. Not that they aren't still Space Marines, of course.

any combat which last more than 1 round is prolly a loss for you (or a pile of really bad rolls)
    You don't get a say in what your opponent does. If he wants to charge you with 24 Hormagaunts, or Orks, or Khorne Beserkers, or anything Slaanesh-marked, there's not a lot you can do about it.

I guess I'm a pessimist, and I don't believe that you get to initiate Assault all the time, and that there are times when you will fail your Counter-Attack roll, moreso if you don't have the Ld 9 that the Wolf Guard brings.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 05:39 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #881
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wolf Lord – 265
    Wolf Mount
    Runic Armor
    Wolf tooth Necklace
    Storm Shield
    Frost weapon
    Saga of the Bear
    Saga of the Warrior Born is too good not to use. There's not much that can instant death him anyway. But that's probably just my opinion.

Lone Wolf 95
    Frost Blade
    Storm Shield
    Melta bombs
    The storm shield is good, but I'd rather see him with terminator armour and a chainfist if you have to use him. Then, if you must use rhinos, your enemy's tanks will be so scared of him they'll keep some fire off your rhinos. He's also only 85 points that way and can tie up tactical squads if you're lucky.

3 TWolfs – 320
    Stormshields are expensive and you don't need three of them. You only need at least one. Drop the frost axe guy's stormshield for a bolt pistol and you get an extra attack and more points for a tiny drop in survivability. You only need them to all have stormshields if your fighting a unit that all has power weapons. Which means terminators since S3 howling banshees aren't a threat to T5 thunderwolves. Against regular terminators an extra initiative 2+ power weapon attack is just as good a defence as a storm shield.

5 Grey Hunters 125
    Flamer
    Power Weapon
    Rhino
    [/spoiler]
    If you're not changing to drop pods, give them a razorback. Its five more points and better if you don't need to transport 6+ men.

Space Marine Sergeants have 2 Attacks, base.
    Grey Hunters have 1 attack, plus a pistol and CCW. You give someone a Power Fist, and they drop to having just one attack. Paying 25 points for one attack is a terrible investment. Especially when you can give one to a Wolf Guard, gain an attack, and a point of leadership, for 2 points less.
    If Black Templars squads didn't get cheap power fists and weapons I wouldn't pay for them, so I guess that's probably right. Its not so bad when you have a power weapon, pistol, 1 base attack and prefered enemy since 2 attacks with rerolls is about the same as three attacks.

It's normally right to take mark of the wulfen instead right?

And Space Wolves can't Combat Tactics out. Or be up against a Fearless enemy. If Space Wolves don't decisively win combat in one round (which may or may not include pulling Counter-Attack off), they drop in effectiveness pretty quickly. Not that they aren't still Space Marines, of course.
    I noticed that. Black Templars have way better endurance than space wolves due to large squad sizes and neophytes. Even when I lost five neophytes and he only lost 3 Grey Hunters on the first round I was still ahead to grind him down in the second round.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-08-03 at 05:37 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Saga of the Warrior Born is too good not to use. There's not much that can instant death him anyway. But that's probably just my opinion.
    IMO, units of Thunderwolves are asking for Vindicator Shells. And anything else S10 you can throw at them. But, they go down to the proper amounts of shooting, even if it's not S10. Plasmaguns do fine.

It's normally right to take mark of the wulfen instead right?
    'Normally right'?
    I'd take a Wolf Guard with Power Fist, for 2 points less.

But, yeah, if you're not running Wolf Guard, then MotW is probably what you want. Except that MotW can't 'Hidden-Power Fist-kill' ICs.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 05:41 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

Hey remember when you could be proud to be a blood angel?

Hi I'm from 4th ed early 5th ed and long time player of blood angels. Now gamesworkshop left my state a few years back and umm I come and I see Necrons and Blood Angels working together...

..... RAGE!

Needless to say the new Blood Angels book oh though good makes me ashamed to of ever played blood angels.. Also what was up with that .pdf!?
    I had to play vanilla marines up until GW left my state..

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkan View Post
    Hey remember when you could be proud to be a blood angel?
    Back in 2nd Ed.?
    Nah, in 3rd they were fine too.

I come and I see Necrons and Blood Angels working together...
    What page is that on?

Needless to say the new Blood Angels book oh though good makes me ashamed to of ever played blood angels
    I don't know why you'd feel that way. If you play them, and don't be a git (2 Land Raiders in 1000 points, trip-Librarian Dreads and trip-Stormravens, as many Land Raiders as you can possibly fit, anywhere, etc.), I think most people would be happy to play you.

Sure, that initial "What do you play?", "Blood Angels." "", response only happens a few times. But, if you've got regular opponents, and you're not a git, then there's no problem. I mean, you can break the Codex, if you want to, but, why would you want to, except maybe as an exercise?

Except then you do that exercise and people think you're serious. Except that that's not even a joke, because some people are serious.

Also what was up with that .pdf!?
    The .pdf was good. Its just that lots of people wanted Blood Angels, but GW didn't have the time (or wanted to sell other things) to give the BAs a Codex - and new models - that they deserved.
    The .pdf was a stopgap to make people shut up about it. Not much else. It was also actually reasonably fair.

I had to play vanilla marines up until GW left my state
    And you still can. Your Marines will just be painted red.
    Or, invest in Shrike, and then get the rules for Korvydae (Imperial Armour 8), watch the two Raven Guard Captains high-five each other as you now have Fleeting Assault Marines as Troops, without all the BS that you have to deal with by playing Blood Angels.

...Not that that's the most broken thing in IA by any means. Not even close.

Or play as Black Templars. Some players feel that they're Blood Angels without all the bulls*. I heard they doesn't afraid of anything. Or play Khorne CSM rules.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 06:00 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Doomed to failure? Or no more so than the average non-Blood Angels list going out there?
    I have no idea how well it might work out, but I love the concept. I figured this needed to be said, as it had not been spoken often enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    I've just had to look up what 'Musical Wounds' were...and that's just not cricket. It's blatant rules exploitation, nothing less, and would probably result in me refusing to play someone that was taking advantage of that little quirk. Either that or drop a Vindicator template on the whole unit and make the rules exploitation academic.
    So, every Ork player in existence? (with single Nob bikers taking melta-bombs solely for the purpose of being different than the guy next to them)
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #886

What page is that on?
    Page 16. For Serious.

"What do you play?", "Blood Angels."
    The problem with the Blood Angels is that their cheesy stuff is all that makes them better at things than Codex Marines. It's hard to make a Blood Angels list without using at least SOME of the options of 'Lots of Landraiders', 'A Blood Angels Dreadnought', 'Multiple Stormravens', etc.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Colossus in the Playground

What page is that on?
    It is, however, less "working together" and more "choose not to attack each other while the Tyranid's are attacking them"

Letting the Necrons go after the battle ends, while argued as "Blood Angels being honorable" could also be "Blood Angels are pragmatic and know not to throw their lives away against an enemy that is retreating from the planet anyway".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #888

It doesn't seem 'sploity to me. It just seems the logical implication of the complex units rule.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    Page 16. For Serious.
    *Reads* nehnehennerrrrrnehnehenehe....

...What?
    That says more about the Necrons than it does the Blood Angels. There are multiple accounts of Imperial forces siding with xenos to fight other xenos. But, the Necrons? You can try and get them to work with you. The only answer you'll get is a phase-claw to the face.
    Necrons are even less likely to side with you than Chaos.

Okay, so the Necrons, are smart, and they agree to 'not kill' the Blood Angels. After the battle, the Necrons phase in some more Troops and annihilate all life on the planet while the Blood Angels piss their pants at their foe who doesn't need to eat or sleep and never gets fatigued or 'emotionally drained' (which you most likely are after having most of your forces killed by Tyranids) and can shrug off Bolter rounds, while their own forces are almost dead.

It's hard to make a Blood Angels list without using at least SOME of the options of 'Lots of Landraiders', 'A Blood Angels Dreadnought', 'Multiple Stormravens', etc.
    If you treat them like a Codex Chapter (which they're supposed to be), it's surprisingly easy.

Chaplain or Librarian (because BA Captains are crap). Run Astorath if you really want Blood Angels to fail (pass?) their Red Thirst. Astorath is pretty good.

Sternguard or Hammernators. Maybe a Librarian Furioso (because Ironclads. Why not?)
    Add trip-Sanguinary Priests, because they're good.

Two Tactical Squads or Scouts-with-Rifles, for your home objective holders. Perhaps Infiltrating Assault/Shotgun Scouts with Locator Beacons.
    Two Assault Squads for your Assaulters and objective takers. Because they're Troops, and you are Blood Angels.
    You could include Death Company if you wanted.

Vanguard are useful, thanks to Descent of Angels, and costing slightly less than a complete rip-off. Land Speeders or Attack Bikes if that's what your army needs.
    Twin Baal Predators, or Scout Bikes with Locator Beacons.

Fast Vindicators and maybe a Stormraven if you know how to build one.

Has plently of 'Blood Angel-ness', still plenty effective, and isn't even totally broken. Probably comes to around 1500 or pretty close if it's over.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 07:09 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #890

*Reads* nehnehennerrrrrnehnehenehe....

...What?
    That says more about the Necrons than it does the Blood Angels. There are multiple accounts of Imperial forces siding with xenos to fight other xenos. But, the Necrons? You can try and get them to work with you. The only answer you'll get is a phase-claw to the face.
    Necrons are even less likely to side with you than Chaos.
    I think they might be beginning to pull back on this in 5th ed. The Warhammer rulebook explains how some Necron Lords are a little crazy, and prone to doing things like building grandiose bodies for themselves.

Maybe this is a similar case.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    So, every Ork player in existence? (with single Nob bikers taking melta-bombs solely for the purpose of being different than the guy next to them)
    I guess I'm just lucky to game with two Ork players that either aren't aware of it or actually think it's unfair!

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    It doesn't seem 'sploity to me. It just seems the logical implication of the complex units rule.
    But the rules do say that in most cases whole models should be removed before taking wounds on other models. If someone is intentionally making a unit complex by outfitting their multi-wound models with slightly different wargear configurations, then that's exploitation of the complex unit rule to make your unit last longer than it probably should...maybe I'm just naive, but I can't imagine that that's what was intended when the rule was written.

22. - Top - End - #892

But the rules do say that in most cases whole models should be removed before taking wounds on other models. If someone is intentionally making a unit complex by outfitting their multi-wound models with slightly different wargear configurations, then that's exploitation of the complex unit rule to make your unit last longer than it probably should...maybe I'm just naive, but I can't imagine that that's what was intended when the rule was written.
    However, wounds must be allocated between the models of a unit as evenly as possible over a given round of shooting. It seems logical to continue that trend over multiple turns.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    However, wounds must be allocated between the models of a unit as evenly as possible over a given round of shooting.
    The rule is, that if you have enough wounds, you must remove whole models first. Unless the unit is a complex unit, then you can allocate units wherever you want.

Basically, you have to cause ten wounds (or however many are in the unit) before your opponent even needs to remove one model (keeping your unit 100% combat effective, despite having taken 8 or 9 wounds, which should cripple most units). And that's why the Complex Unit rule is broken.

'Distributed evenly' doesn't really mean a thing. The guys who passed their saves last time, will take their saves this time, because the others are on one wound, and, due to it being a Complex Unit, I can do this, and I don't have to remove whole models first.

The only way to deal with Complex (multi-wound) units is to hit them with Instant-Death weapons. Multiple times.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-08-03 at 07:26 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Solution - Take two Chaos Vindicators and eat the unit for breakfast.

It may not be so bad if exploitation of the rule helped all forces equally. Being broken doesn't matter so much if everyone can do it. But it only helps multi-wound model units, which are the domain of Orks, Tyranids, and IG Ogryns and maybe Chaos Daemons, though the later don't really have the options to create the required model differentiation. I shiver to contemplate a 10 Nobz unit, all with different wargear, taking a wound each while strolling through my battleline eating Necrons. By the spirit of the rules, 5 should be dead by then, but because of this quirk they're still hunky dory.

I've noticed on some units that if you take an option on one model you have to take it for all in the unit...maybe the start of an attempt by GW to close the loophole?
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-08-03 at 07:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #895

...And that's why the Complex Unit rule is broken.
    I'm not disagreeing on that point, I'm disagreeing that using that fact is an exploit. It makes as much sense from a precedence standpoint to spread out the wounds as it does to concentrate them. Also, in many cases such units are made up of what are almost characters in their own right. If you stuck an injured captain in a squad you wouldn't expect to be obliged to assign wounds to him first, would you?

26. - Top - End - #896

I've noticed on some units that if you take an option on one model you have to take it for all in the unit...maybe the start of an attempt by GW to close the loophole?
    Possibly: Carnifexes may be a good example of this.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-03 at 07:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #897

But it only helps multi-wound model units, which are the domain of Orks, Tyranids, and IG Ogryns and maybe Chaos Daemons, though the later don't really have the options to create the required model differentiation.
    Ogryns only get 1 special model (the unit leader) and tyranids only get 1 special model (the venom cannon/barbed strangler one) on their warriors and none on their other multiwound units ('thropes, lictors, carnifexes, rippers). Its really only ork nobs that can do this.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

The only way to deal with Complex (multi-wound) units is to hit them with Instant-Death weapons. Multiple times.
    Which just about every codex has in spades.
    There's far, far cheesier things in the game to get in arms about.
    Deploying a transport sideways.
    List-tailoring.
    Weaken Resolve.
    Weaken Resolve, with Inquisition forces.
    Wording minutiae.
    Nobs with Musical Wounds isn't even that much of a change to their equipment loadout except in the largest squads. You're going to be taking a Waaagh! Banner, a Bosspole, 2-3 Power Klaws, and a Painboy. Kombi-Skorchas are also really quite good.
    Oh, and there's also the fact that if you've written it into your list, you have to do it in game.
    By the spirit of the rules, 5 should be dead by then, but because of this quirk they're still hunky dory.
    Minor point: Killing off five Nobs really isn't going to help a Necron's chances agaisnt them by much.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-08-03 at 07:55 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899

Oh, and there's also the fact that if you've written it into your list, you have to do it in game.
    No you don't. If at one initiative order/turn every nob is wounded once and 5 fail their save and 5 pass, then when next initiative/turn only 5 get wounded there's nothing that makes you take all those 5 wound on the 5 guys who haven't been hurt yet.

Which just about every codex has in spades.
    You don't play tyranids do you?

The problem with nobs is that they pretty much need power claws, so if you're an idiot with them its easy to see them all die before attacking.

Lightning claw terminators laugh at ork nobs just as much as everyone laughs back at them when they see that they aren't hammernators.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-08-03 at 08:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Solution - Take two Chaos Vindicators and eat the unit for breakfast.
    Minor flaw in that plan, is that Nob Bikers have permanent cover saves. They're really that good.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome