New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

I voted for the Felpine Shambler. I loved the idea that pretty much any tree could suddenly be replaced by one.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I just noticed that the Twelfth Knight is entry #12. This amuses me.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Personally it would have to happen in a contest with a knight theme for me to find it funny. ¬_¬"
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Personally it would have to happen in a contest with a knight theme for me to find it funny. ¬_¬"
    Twelfth Night is an old English holiday celebrated January 5 (the 12th day of Christmas) and the Lord of Misrule (in Scotland it's the Abbot of Unreason) presides over the Feast of Fools. It was popular from the 5th to the 16th centuries.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_(holiday)

Link is now working correctly.

It's much funnier when you understand the context. It was a clever take on the holiday and that's why I voted for it.

Sadly, my personal favorite was disqualified as unfinished. I really liked the Chanukah Chorror and hope to see it completed after the contest.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-22 at 10:30 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Twelfth Night is an old English holiday celebrated January 5 (the 12th day of Christmas) and the Lord of Misrule (in Scotland it's the Abbot of Unreason) presides over the Feast of Fools. It was popular from the 5th to the 16th centuries.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_(holiday)

Link might not work (for some reason the parentheses messes with stuff.

It's much funnier when you understand the context.

Debby
    Yeah, I know about it (it's the source of one of my favorite Shakespearean plays, after all). I just meant something having "twelfth" in the title being 12th in a list wasn't enough of a pun for me to find funny unless there was something to make it stronger (in this case the contest's theme being knights or nights, thus making it a literal "12th Knight").

Also, if you're worried about brackets, why not just use tinyURL or a similar site?

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually entirely unintentional as well, though I have a habit of being unintentionally funny, which my brother never lets me live down...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Call it synchronicity rather than funny in that case. :-)

Link is working correctly now. I had to just make a small adjustment to the way I typed the url.

I'm seeing some issues with the Insanity Claws (could be why it's not getting the votes). Do you still want my critique after the contest?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-22 at 10:42 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

There are unfortunately issues with a number of entries that I just ended up not having time to point out. As long as its just cleaning up entries, not rewriting, I don't think we'd have a problem if they were fixed.

I put every entry into a text file to, so I will know if it happens

Btw, though there is no problem with posting here, you are perfectly welcome to chat in the contest thread. After the poll is up its fair game.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from the generally odd nature of the Lord of Misrule power, and the associated difficulty in writing it down, what were the problems with my Twelfth Knight, please?
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

10. - Top - End - #490

Similar questions...I wondered why only one monster got the Vorpal Tribble Review, and apparently finding it was because everyone else had major issues isn't heartening.

Personally, I just couldn't get attached to any of the monsters that were directly referencing a real-world holiday or legendary figure.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, uh...couldn't help but notice that the Chanukah Chorror is not available for voting.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Chanukah Chorror wasn't complete so it was disqualified. :-(

Debby

13. - Top - End - #493

I don't see what was incomplete about it.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    Well there was no detailed combat descrition and the lore section was unfinished (although that's optional anyway)...

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Swallow Whole was missing too. And I think another feature. You have to have a complete monster for it to qualify. Check w/VT if you have questions.

Debby

16. - Top - End - #496

We'll wait until he can be on for this, then. I seriously thought it was done, so I'm sure you can understand me being upset. It's not a project I goofed around on and forgot about.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Banned

We'll wait until he can be on for this, then. I seriously thought it was done, so I'm sure you can understand me being upset. It's not a project I goofed around on and forgot about.
    I could see that, that's why I waited two days after deadline before officially disqualifying it. Was one of my favorite entries.

However, was considered unfinished due to swallow whole nor improved grab being given mechanics, both of which are abilities that require specifics. Just swallow whole has specific internal damage dealt with optional acid, stomach AC, hit points to escape, how many and of what sizes it can hold, etc. Things you can't just intuit or is static, like darkvision or type qualities.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-12-23 at 04:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I would really like to see if we get more votes on the contest. Perhaps VT, you could change the title of the contest to add voting through 12/31 or something like that

Debby

19. - Top - End - #499
    Banned

Btw, didn't mean to imply that the reason that I didn't get to critique entries was due to them being 'bad' in any way. A mixture of holiday preparations, travel, and unusually severe winter weather made it very difficult to devote my time to in depth study. Will get to critiques before New Years however.

I would really like to see if we get more votes on the contest. Perhaps VT, you could change the title of the contest to add voting through 12/31 or something like that
    I could, though not sure if it'd help. Already has the unusual poll symbol to the side, but will see if it helps any.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned

Critiques
    (to be continued)

Felpine Shambler
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: 15d8+135 (218 HP)
    217 hp

Cone Bombs (Ex):
    The save DC is Constitution-based.

Otherwise looks good!

Dryad of the Sanguine Holly
    Spoiler
    Show

HD 7d6 HD (27 hp)
    24 hp (3.5 x 7) unless I'm missing a mention of Toughness or somesuch.

Attack Dagger +6 (1d6, 19-20/x2)
    Would be +7 due to weapon finesse. Daggers also only deal 1d4 base damage.

Saves Fort +5 Ref +9 Will +10
    Fort would be +4.
    (Poor Fort save 2 + Great Fort feat 2)

Wild Empathy (Ex) This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that the dryad has a +9 racial bonus on the check.
    Odd bonus... in both meanings of the phrase.

Insanity Claws
    (disqualified)
    Spoiler
    Show

First off, I missed it with my last go over that you have neither grapple nor caster level/stat based info for the magical abilities and so technically your entry is incomplete and would have been disqualified.

Base Attack/Grapple: +5/
    Grapple would be +7

Attack: Claw +10 (1d6+2/19-20)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +8 (1d6+2/19-20)
    '+10 melee' for both

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +8
    Fort +5, Ref +12, Will +7

Gift of Insanity:
    Need to make mention what the save DC is based off of.

Spell-like Abilities: At will: Invisibility, gaseous form
    What is the caster level and what is the key casting stat?

Goat of Sacrificial Horror
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: 13d10+24 (110 hp)
    Hit Dice: 13d10+39 (110 hp)

Speed: 25 ft.
    Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares)

Attack: Gore +15 melee (1d6+2 damage), or wreath arm +10 melee (1d4+1 damage)
    Gore +16 melee (+1 size mod bonus) and wreath arms should also be +16 melee.

Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +14

Twelfth Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: 10d8 + 40 (95 hp)
    85 hp

Saves: Fort +4/+11, Ref +2/+9, Will +8/+15
    Abilities Str 6/-2, Dex 15/+2, Con 18/+4, Int 23/+6, Wis 26/+8, Cha 11/-
    Ok, just have to say these are as annoying as heck done this way and not standard format. I do that kind of thing for my own personal use to keep them straight, but always delete them or make them less intrusive when they are posted.

Feats: Acrobatics, GoadB, PersuasiveSiren, Skill Focus [Bluff]
    PersuasiveSiren needs a space and a comma.

Fun and Games [Ex]: The Twelfth Knight's goal is to make the world "fun" for everyone and so hampers himself a bit. He usually ignores his BAB and base Save bonuses when calculating his attacks and saves respectively.
    I'd rather you calculate it all as normal, because he is still capable of being mind controlled and similar and if he is told to fight and not be 'playful' any more he will fight to the best of his ability, i.e. with full BAB and saves.

Santa Claws
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack: Claw +21 melee (2d6+15 plus 1d6 cold) or Coal +9 ranged (2d6+10)
    Trying to figure out the claw attack. Should be +18 from my perspective.

BAB 10 + Str mod 9 - Size mod 1 = 18

Improved Natural Attack (Claws)
    I'd just go for Weapon Focus (Claws), as INA (Claws) is a useless feat due to the fact you can determine its base damage to whatever you like. That feat is only for when you advance a creature and it gains extra feats. Then you can improve upon the original.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-12-30 at 05:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Dryad of the Sanguine Holly

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    24 hp (3.5 x 7) unless I'm missing a mention of Toughness or somesuch.
    I guess I took max hit points for the first HD.

Would be +7 due to weapon finesse. Daggers also only deal 1d4 base damage.
    I will add that in.

Fort would be +4.
    (Poor Fort save 2 + Great Fort feat 2)
    I will fix it.

Odd bonus... in both meanings of the phrase.
    Why? The bonus itself is equal to the hit dice of the Dryad plus two... which is exactly what I have here. Also, nothing in the fluff says that the Dryad of the Sanguine Holly is any less attractive or trustworthy to animals; in fact, they would be even more trustworthy to animals, since they fight tooth and nail to protect the creatures and land of the area where they live, and are even more alluring than normal dryads.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Santa Claws

Trying to figure out the claw attack. Should be +18 from my perspective.

BAB 10 + Str mod 9 - Size mod 1 = 18
    The claws are a +3 weapon from his ability Auril's Favor. So the base of +18 is correct but the additional 3 make it +21

I'd just go for Weapon Focus (Claws), as INA (Claws) is a useless feat due to the fact you can determine its base damage to whatever you like. That feat is only for when you advance a creature and it gains extra feats. Then you can improve upon the original.
    I chose INA so that if someone did advance Santa Claws it couldn't be improved further. But I see your point and it makes more sense to have the Weapon Focus

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, I've made all of the recommended changes after a fashion...

I know it's not standard, but I'm going to keep including the stat modifiers [now in size 1], simply because the standard block doesn't include any way of tracking things like bull rush bonuses and the less time needed to calculate those, the better!

Everything else has been amended as per your preferences.

24. - Top - End - #504

Fixed the two errors in the stats.

Aside from proofreading, I'm more interested in analysises of the monsters - mine and others - in terms of concept/utility, how well or easy they'd be to apply into a theoretical game.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The wreath attacks of the Sacrificial Goat are secondary attacks. Thus, they take the -5 penalty. It is stated in the text that they are secondary attacks.
    I missed the size bonus in my critique apparently. Sorry.

Attack: Gore +16 melee (1d6+2), or wreath arm +11 melee (1d4+1)
    Full Attack: Gore +16 melee (1d6+2), or 2 wreath arms +11 melee (1d4+1)

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-31 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. I'll make the edit now (it's allowed, right?). Thanks.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #507
    Banned

Sure, edits just to fix crunch is fine.

The wreath attacks of the Sacrificial Goat are secondary attacks. Thus, they take the -5 penalty.
    Ah, well then it wouldn't be mentioned in Attack. Secondaries are only found in Full Attack.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-12-31 at 12:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, well then it wouldn't be mentioned in Attack. Secondaries are only found in Full Attack.
    I'll change that, then. Nice hat. I guess you've seen the raccoon thread?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Banned

Going over the rest now. Only going to give crunch critiques currently.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Nice hat. I guess you've seen the raccoon thread?
    Had it requested just for the thread

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

What raccoon thread? And I missed it? Nevermind...

Also, as an update: the Grinch is pulling ahead (and I'm stunned that someone voted for my goose when I didn't even vote for it!)

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-01 at 04:13 PM.