New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1487

Thread: Bibliography II

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Bibliography II

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    It's the fourth Thursday of November in America and the second Monday in October in Canada. Canadians are weird. Srsly.
    No, Its because we can't leave our houses during the winter unless we shovel two story's of snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Also, while it is true that vampire myths are not unified, it seems that given how the myths are based on the Pages, the codex would be closer to traditional vampire myths than to Hollywood vampires, or other modern spins on them.
    I was under the impression that Pages were based on myths to some extent.

3. - Top - End - #1173

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I was under the impression that Pages were based on myths to some extent.
    From a literary standpoint, that's true. But I'm pretty sure that in the Bibliography universe, it's the other way around.
    Last edited by chionophile; 2010-10-10 at 08:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Banned

From a literary standpoint, that's true. But I'm pretty sure that in the Bibliography universe, it's the other way around.
    Explicitly stated to be the case in chapter 1 or 2. In-world, the myths are based on the pages.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Firbolg in the Playground

While you did mention that it was just your own idea of how it might work, the way you responded with it made it sound as if other ideas were unlikely (even if that was not your intent). Also, while it is true that vampire myths are not unified, it seems that given how the myths are based on the Pages, the codex would be closer to traditional vampire myths than to Hollywood vampires, or other modern spins on them. Also there quite possibly could be more than one 'vampire' codex, given that the term vampire refers to a wide range of creatures linked mainly by their manner of gaining sustenance by draining humans (for example succubi/incubi and ghuls have been considered vampires as have rakshas).
    Look, while there were a variety of different different things stemming off the idea of a force that drains your life force, only one of them is actually considered a vampire in modern times. It's possible that they used to lump them together in olden times, but eventually the myths managed to differentiate between the different forces that would drain you. Over time, myths over vampires would become more and more accurate, as more distinctions are formed between them and any other human feasting force of the night. Yes, I believe that there might be any number of other explanations for the vampire codex. I just described a general outline based off of what I thought was the coolest way they could be portrayed. It's quite possible as I made it sound like it was unlikely that there were other ways for them to be portrayed; I described what I thought was the most likely view, which was intended to make it sound more likely than other forms of vampires. However, I admit that there could be any number of ways to portray the vampires, and I admit my view could be very, very wrong indeed.
    While it might be true that it can form interesting stories, it is also one that would likely take more than just a subplot. Hence why they usually have stories of their own, rather than just being a side facet.
    Meh. Maybe it's too complex, maybe not. Maybe vampires will just not come into the story at all. I just posted my view on vampires in a way that I thought they might be considered entertaining. A well-placed page or two (Yes, I know it's an ad, but it demonstrates my point) might be enough to show a little bit of the intrigue of the vampire courts, and leave the readers interested, but not actually describe all aspects of it in a full-blown exposition.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Look, while there were a variety of different different things stemming off the idea of a force that drains your life force, only one of them is actually considered a vampire in modern times. It's possible that they used to lump them together in olden times, but eventually the myths managed to differentiate between the different forces that would drain you. Over time, myths over vampires would become more and more accurate, as more distinctions are formed between them and any other human feasting force of the night. Yes, I believe that there might be any number of other explanations for the vampire codex. I just described a general outline based off of what I thought was the coolest way they could be portrayed. It's quite possible as I made it sound like it was unlikely that there were other ways for them to be portrayed; I described what I thought was the most likely view, which was intended to make it sound more likely than other forms of vampires. However, I admit that there could be any number of ways to portray the vampires, and I admit my view could be very, very wrong indeed.
    Actually it is more the reverse. In the traditional mythologies of different cultures, there weren't really any vampires (well, I think there was one called a vampire or something close to it, but it was rather different than what is modernly considered to be one). There were however many myths in which creatures drained humans. However, the modern image of a vampire is something of a bastardization of a wide variety of those creatures. As such , when discussing traditional vampires, almost any such creatures could be referenced as being one (in fact almost every culture has some kind of creature considered a vampire in its mythology). Even so, many of those creatures have maintained their own identity in public knowledge, thus generally causing them to be considered different.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #1177

Actually it is more the reverse. In the traditional mythologies of different cultures, there weren't really any vampires (well, I think there was one called a vampire or something close to it, but it was rather different than what is modernly considered to be one). There were however many myths in which creatures drained humans. However, the modern image of a vampire is something of a bastardization of a wide variety of those creatures. As such , when discussing traditional vampires, almost any such creatures could be referenced as being one (in fact almost every culture has some kind of creature considered a vampire in its mythology). Even so, many of those creatures have maintained their own identity in public knowledge, thus generally causing them to be considered different.

Owrtho
    Ok, so... you're saying that there's no such thing as a vampire in Bibliography. Glad we got that settled.

Since we established that vampires now no longer exist, instead being succubi/incubi/ghuls/whatever, vampires are now a distinct made up race, with their origins based off the other myths. However, as a whole, they are completely separate from their progenitor species. One of the first references to actual vampires as we see them now, and that continues to shape our belief in vampires, is dracula, possibly the first vampire of the codex. Thus, all of our knowledge stemming off him is an accurate description of the vampire codex, instead of the other codices.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

This entire vampire argument is totally relevant to Bibliography I bet...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriously. This mystery fighter will be Ben's Uncle Samuel. Just you wait.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Ms. Nobodyby Herpestidae

Profile avatar of Gav Jagger, swashbuckler in Adanar by Cometlight, by Starwoof.
    Sig avatars of Cade Rentyr courtesy of Ms. Nobody and Herpestidae respectively.
    Thank 'ee each in turn.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Well, HalfTanglible... you said you were getting sick.
    OMG, everybody is getting sick. You should rest instead of discuss about vampires and such.

Canadians are weird. Srsly.
    Yeah, they have books that absorb energy beams and then shoot them back.
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post
    OMG, everybody is getting sick. You should rest instead of discuss about vampires and such.
    I'm not sick. If I was, I'd have to skip school, and that would be bad, considering how fast school moves.

Yeah, they have books that absorb energy beams and then shoot them back.
    We also have Polar Bears, who can overheat in the snow.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so... you're saying that there's no such thing as a vampire in Bibliography. Glad we got that settled.
    He's saying you can't decide WHICH vampire myth is the 'right' one.

One of the first references to actual vampires as we see them now, and that continues to shape our belief in vampires, is dracula, possibly the first vampire of the codex. Thus, all of our knowledge stemming off him is an accurate description of the vampire codex, instead of the other codices.
    Yes, because lord knows humans get everything right the first time every single time.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Which is kinda weird because from how psychotically violent pages are, and that norms have to be exposed to the power of pages in order to see them as different at all, one wouldn't think many would survive enough to form as many myths as they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #1184

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    He's saying you can't decide WHICH vampire myth is the 'right' one.
    Over time, we have decided that vampires are entirely different entities, though. They may be based off the other myths, but they are clearly separate from the other creatures.

Yes, because lord knows humans get everything right the first time every single time.
    The first reference to vampires as we see them now is Dracula. Thus, Dracula may have been the first vampire. I'm not saying that I know everything, but I think that it may well be that Dracula was the first vampire, and the other beings may have been entirely different codices. I may be wrong, of course, but that's what I think.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

The first reference to vampires as we see them now is Dracula. Thus, Dracula may have been the first vampire. I'm not saying that I know everything, but I think that it may well be that Dracula was the first vampire, and the other beings may have been entirely different codices. I may be wrong, of course, but that's what I think.
    Maybe Dracula joined all those codices, but they kicked him out.
    "Vine! I'll start vy own codex, vit blawkjack, and hookers!"
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-10-11 at 02:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the vampire society myths will be present, but based more on tradition than a rule of the codex. those are just my thoughts though

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Over time, we have decided that vampires are entirely different entities, though. They may be based off the other myths, but they are clearly separate from the other creatures.

Actually, it would by "The Vampyre" predating Stoker's book by almost 80 years. The article on wikipedia is quite informative.

Besides, I think it's time to drink a nice hot cup of tea and wait for the actual in-universe Sanguine Codex Pages, isn't it?

edit: @Prime32 - in fact, forget the Codex and the blackjack.
    Last edited by Radar; 2010-10-11 at 02:59 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bibliography II

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Actually, it would by "The Vampyre" predating Stoker's book by almost 80 years. The article on wikipedia is quite informative.

Besides, I think it's time to drink a nice hot cup of tea and wait for the actual in-universe Sanguine Codex Pages, isn't it?
    But I don't like tea!

can I have a soda instead?

But, yeah. I think we need to stop arguing about vampires and get on to the important stuff.

Like theories on how the tournament will go and how Satomi will win despite being the only 'normal' human on the Ben-Squad
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #1189

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    But, yeah. I think we need to stop arguing about vampires and get on to the important stuff.
    Agreed.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Like theories on how the tournament will go and how Satomi will win despite being the only 'normal' human on the Ben-Squad
    I sincerely doubt they let humans sign up. A disabling spell would've killed Raoul or made him lose his arm, remember?

Unimportant but still not worth deleting
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes but there are many vampire myths where the creatures are still referred to as vampires. Among those, you still have a lot of iffyness.

Wait, do you mean the type of vampire dracula was in the book or dracula himself was the first vampire? Cuz i was arguing under the assumption of the former. If you meant the latter then what you're saying makes a LOT more sense.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-11 at 04:14 PM.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #1191

I think Satomi, WON'T get powers. She will stand out more as a character if she doesn't.
    Last edited by HypoSoc; 2010-10-12 at 04:35 AM.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    To be relevant, I think Satomi, WON'T get powers. She will stand out more as a character if she doesn't.
    I hope she gets SOMETHING. If she gets nothing period she'll fade into the background with Tatsuki, Kazuki's friends and family, the student council, and the rest.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-11 at 07:52 PM.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

I hope she gets SOMETHING. If she gets nothing period she'll fade into the background with Tatsuki, Kazuki's friends and family, the student council, and the rest.
    Or she could be a badass normal, like Rock Lee or Kenpachi.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Or she could be a badass normal, like Rock Lee or Kenpachi.
    Since when, are they normal? Rock Lee might probably be argued about (although he did a hefty number of supernatural stunts), but Kenpachi is an axe crazy freak of nature - he has more raw power then most of the cast.

IMO she'll either become a Page or gets her hands on a White Box Weapon, because she seems to actually want something like that. If you seek something, you find it eventually.
    Last edited by Radar; 2010-10-12 at 04:20 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Kenpachi is normal. Yes, he has more power than anyone, but he ONLY has power. Ichigo can shoot blasts of energy, and go at the speed of light with bankai, but Kenpachi just hits stuff.

Maybe Satomi will be normal, but have so much innate aura that she can punch an abyssal in the face.

Edit: Also to clarify, I mean normal compared to the rest of the cast.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-10-12 at 04:26 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Personally I want to see a badass normal mercenary gunner. Imagine if you could set bazookas to "non-lethal" mode, given the abilities of pages.

Think "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone badass with Chaotic or True Neutral instead of Lawful. Fanboy glee
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Kenpachi is normal. Yes, he has more power than anyone, but he ONLY has power. Ichigo can shoot blasts of energy, and go at the speed of light with bankai, but Kenpachi just hits stuff.

Maybe Satomi will be normal, but have so much innate aura that she can punch an abyssal in the face.

Edit: Also to clarify, I mean normal compared to the rest of the cast.
    Just hit stuff? This man can cut through swaths of buildings with a flourish. He doubles the strength of his scariness and general power by putting another hand on his sword. He needs a freaking eyepatch that cripples him, so he doesn't end his opponents in one hit. Actually he does that anyway. this guy is normal to you? I hate to have a run-in with you

EDIT: I'm a little slow, cuz I just noticed your addendum at the end of your post, but even compared to the rest of the cast, he is far from normal. They liken him to a demon.
    Last edited by Krazddndfreek; 2010-10-12 at 05:04 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    Just hit stuff? This man can cut through swaths of buildings with a flourish. He doubles the strength of his scariness and general power by putting another hand on his sword. He needs a freaking eyepatch that cripples him, so he doesn't end his opponents in one hit. Actually he does that anyway. this guy is normal to you? I hate to have a run-in with you
    Well, I am awesome...

EDIT: I'm a little slow, cuz I just noticed your addendum at the end of your post, but even compared to the rest of the cast, he is far from normal. They liken him to a demon.
    I know that he's amazingly powerful-but he got there with training and power. He has no magic, no bankai, not even a shikai. He is normal. He is the very limit of what a normal can do, but he is still one.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    Think "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone badass with Chaotic or True Neutral instead of Lawful. Fanboy glee
    And, you know, not Evil. ...probably.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am awesome...
    You are female. By definition, you are scary.

I know that he's amazingly powerful-but he got there with training and power. He has no magic, no bankai, not even a shikai. He is normal. He is the very limit of what a normal can do, but he is still one.
    He HAS a shikai. He just never had a sealed form. Remember? His blade is stuck in what would be it's shikai form (like ichigo's) because he's got so much reatsu.

But this bleach stuff is off topic.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-12 at 09:43 AM.

Extended Sig