New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VIII: "You're Gonna have To Face It, You're Addicted To Ma

Because with a Sky ray you can shoot all 6 shots in turn one and watch all your enemies transports go boom, and maybe a light tank. Your hammerhead takes 6 turns to shoot 6 shots, how often have you seen your tank last every turn?
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VIII: "You're Gonna have To Face It, You're Addicted To Ma

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I kind of like to keep a Skyray around. Unlimited range, and no LOS necessary from the Skyray. It really depends on your table size, I guess. If you have enough seekers on just your DF and Piranhas, don't use it. I like the HH better, overall. But for those hard-to-reach places, I prefer the Skyray.
    Fair enough. Unlimited range is no big deal; 72" plus your full move should cover the full table and you still need LOS and range from your static, shorter-ranged Markerlights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Also - with the amount of Bonding Knives you have, you might really want to take a look at Farsight/O'Shova
    I hope that was a joke... Because I want nothing more than to drop half of my Pathfinders and Hammerheads so I can grab Farsight and use all those extra Crisis Suit models I don't have. To save 20 points on Bonding Knifes. That would be excellent.
    I know it was a joke. But don't tell anyone XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Because with a Sky ray you can shoot all 6 shots in turn one and watch all your enemies transports go boom, and maybe a light tank. Your hammerhead takes 6 turns to shoot 6 shots, how often have you seen your tank last every turn?
    Quite commonly? About five games in six at least one of them lasts the game, and often both of them as well. They're Hammerheads; they're harder to kill than Land Raiders at range, and plenty fast to avoid enemy attacks.

Admittedly, I've never used a Sky Ray myself, and I haven't run any Seeker Missiles since the very beginning of 5th edition over 2 years ago, so maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like the Hammerheads are so much more useful. But hey, I'm still contemplating the 'Ray. I might give it a shot. I do love my Railheads, though...
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2010-08-31 at 12:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I run 3 heavies I tend to do one Broadside team, one Hammerhead and one skyray. For balance in options, but overall it depends on in what point league I am in. I tend to find a team of broadsides and a hammerhead is more then enough to cover most heavy tanks, and the seeker missiles can be used for the transports/lighter tanks. Plus I love firing off more then half the payload in the first turn and forcing a few units to footslog it.
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Fair enough. Unlimited range is no big deal; 72" plus your full move should cover the full table and you still need LOS and range from your static, shorter-ranged Markerlights.
    Shorter ranged markerlights with a scout move. They can be in place and you can use those seekers asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

sky rays are a subpar option IMHO (never used or seen one used so take what follows with a grain of salt. edit:though I do play tau and know how the other heavy options work)

Skyrays replace/fill in for the taus troop options' fatal flaw i.e. no heavy weapons. It does this by allowing them to shoot heavy weapons (str 8 missles) The problem is that you are wasting another whole force slot (which has better options) to fill a hole. It would be sorta like if a imperial guard regiment could not have any heavy weapons in its platoons but had heavy weapons teams in the heavy slot. You could take heavy weapons teams to make up for the lack of teams in your troop slots or you can take the leman russes which are far superior. In this example the Russes are obviously hammerheads or broadsides.

If you feel the need to fill in your lack of heavy weapons with unlimited range missles just add them to your hammer head. Now your hammer head can do the same thing a sky ray can but also has a rail rifle. Or you can pick up a few piranha with seeker missles and fusions guns and you have much more effective vehicle hunting with the same weapons as the skyray.
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2010-08-31 at 11:46 PM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    The idea with a 2:3 ratio was so that they would still get a fair number of attacks in at their Initiative, while the Storm Shields would help with survivability.
    Storm Shields only really help if all your Terminators have them. Once you start taking more than 3 wounds at a time, especially from pesky pie plates and Plasma Cannons, you'll be allocating wounds to the Lightning Claws, and they wont last too long. Unless they're in a Land Raider.

If you teleport into your opponent's Deployment Zone, you'll find that Player Psychology will take over, and they'll FIRE EVERYTHING! at them. I know there are some people who are willing to use a 200 point unit for nothing except being a Fire Magnet. But, that's not my style. I don't like Deep Striking Assault Terminators. It gets...Messy. For me.

I may buy another Assault Termi kit in the future
    You should have parts left over from your first box, yes? If so, buy the regular box of Terminators, get some cool parts (like a Heavy Flamer), and just use your spare Lightning Claws and Storm Shields on the regular Terminators.

I may ditch the termies until I can find a good way to work them into the list.
    Ways to use Terminators.
    Regular; Deep Strike with Storm Bolters and Assault Cannon. Metal Storm. I really don't like Terminators doing anything else. I suppose when they get really bored they can Power Fist a tank.
    Assault, Lightning Claws:Thunder Hammers;
    4:1; Add a Chaplain. Put in Land Raider. If you're using a Crusader, might want to go 5:2 and Chaplain, or 6:2.
    0:5+; Hammernators. Do whatever you want. It'll work.

You don't need Hammernators if you're running Lysander. Or vice versa.

I'm tempted to go with an Ironclad I got recently, but that may turn out to be a bigger point-sink than a normal dread.
    Depends how you use it. Mine never, ever, ever leaves home without a Drop Pod. Dual Heavy Flamers for winning times. Add He'Stan.

The abundance of Melta Bombs in the list is probably paranoia left over from my first 40k game where a drop-podding Ironclad slaughtered my infantry in hand-to-hand...
    See? Ironclads. Drop Pods. ???. Profit.

though the fact I forgot about Combat Tactics
    Speaking of...Are you sure you want to run Lysander? Combat Tactics is very good. Way better than Stubborn is.

As for the Heavy Flamers, I remember you mentioning that they're in the Terminator kit, is there only one in the kit? And how hard is it to modify them for normal Marines to use?
    Yes, and easy.

Yeah, I kind of got a little carried away on the elite choices. Should've sorted out troops first, in hindsight. Might grab another tac squad and some sniper scouts. Maybe a Land Speeder Storm.
    Are your opponents cool with proxy models? I highly suggest trying out a Land Speeder Storm before you actually go and buy one...They're not for everybody, to put it lightly.

Granted, he doesn't have Eternal Warrior but even if they do have EW it's still not something they can ignore.
    I think you'll find that models with Eternal Warrior generally do ignore Power Fists. I know Lysander does.

I figured some multi-melta Land Speeders would work well at anti-armour work, considering their speed. Though this could be a case of 'good on paper, bad in practice'.
    It is. But not with He'Stan.

Tip; I've mentioned He'Stan a lot. There's a reason for that. You should take him.

I had a feeling I was a bit light on troops, but wasn't sure how to work them in.
    Really? Most people find working in Troops the easy part. It's working in everything else that's supposed to be hard.

Here's the list in full if that was too hard to follow:
    ...Right...

Spoiler
    Show
    Lysander - 200 Points
    I don't think this list works with him very well.

Sternguard Squad (x10) - 340 Points
    Power Fist, 4x Combi-meltas
    + Drop Pod
    Locator Beacon
    Why Locator Beacon? Do you Deep Strike your Assault Squad as well? Because that's a Terrible (capital T) idea. If you were using Vanguard, it'd be a different story.

Or are you Deep Striking Lysander? Because you don't need to. A Drop Pod fits 12, and Lysander loves Sternguard. Or maybe you already knew that.

Second, you're planning to Alpha Strike those Combi-Meltas. Problem is, you don't have enough of them. And you only get one shot. You need to hit. Use He'Stan. Or get more Meltas.

Tactical Squad (x10) - 270 Points
    Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
    + Razorback
    Twin-Linked Lascannons
    Nice. Although I think given the squad armament, you don't really gain anything by having a 75 Point Razorback running around.

Tactical Squad (x10) - 270 Points
    Meltagun, Plasma Cannon
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon
    + Razorback
    Twin-Linked Lascannons
    This one works better with the Razorback since a Meltagun is not a Plasma Gun. The problem with this squad is, though, to get the full effect of the squad, you'll be needing to Combat Squad every single game. Which you might not want to do.

...Don't feel bad. Building an 'optimal' Tactical Squad is actually one of the harder things that Space Marine players have to do.

Scout Squad (x10) - 227 Points
    Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
    Camo Cloaks
    Sergeant Telion
    No.
    If you want a 3+ save, you can get Tactical Marines for the same price as a Scout in a Camo Cloak. Cloaks are the worst.

Telion is a waste. He's really not worth the points IMO. You know in this squad, alone, is 80 points worth of stuff. With the +75 points you've got from ditching the Razorback up above, you've got a spare ~150 points.

Which is a whole 'nother Scout Squad. Or Devastators with Missile Launchers. Trip-Attack Bikes with Multi-Meltas? No, really. Any of those things would be better than Camo Cloaks and Telion.

Scout Squad (x10) - 180 Points
    Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
    Camo Cloaks
    Another 30 point waste. This puts you at 180+ points. If you drop Lysander for Vulkan, you get another 5 points to boot. And Ironclad in a Drop Pod with dual Heavy Flamers is 185 Points...Think about it.

Assault Squad (x10) - 230 Points
    2x Flamers
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs
    Yep.

Total: 1717 Points
    Are you supposed to have 1750? Or 1700? Either way, you've got problems with that points total.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    There's a contradiction in that statement.
    Pants...generally means bad.
    Huh...So it is. Weird. I always thought that 'Pants' meant 'good'. Because, you know...Pants are awesome.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Quite commonly? About five games in six at least one of them lasts the game, and often both of them as well. They're Hammerheads; they're harder to kill than Land Raiders at range, and plenty fast to avoid enemy attacks.
    How is a Hammerhead harder to kill than a Land Raider?

I get that it can stay out of range, to an extent, but it's FA 13, SA 12 and vulnerable to being shaken/stunned. I see other tanks popping them open all the time.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, cause they're still excellent vehicles. I just don't buy the unbreakable.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Not that there's anything wrong with them, cause they're still excellent vehicles. I just don't buy the unbreakable.
    Hammerheads...Unbreakable? Pretty sure those are the first things to die when I play against Tau. However, that is me, though. Most Medium/Heavy Tanks don't last past Turn 2 against my armies.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree with cheese on the camo cloaks issue. A 3+ cover save unit of scouts is suprisingly survivable (assuming its approprietly positioned). Ive got a small squad of camo cloaked bolter scouts (to anger him further ) in my Iron Hands army and they always seem to do pretty well sitting away from the combat.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    I disagree with cheese on the camo cloaks issue. A 3+ cover save unit of scouts is suprisingly survivable (assuming its approprietly positioned). Ive got a small squad of camo cloaked bolter scouts (to anger him further ) in my Iron Hands army and they always seem to do pretty well sitting away from the combat.
    Go to ground for a 2+ Cover Save

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    I disagree with cheese on the camo cloaks issue. A 3+ cover save unit of scouts is suprisingly survivable (assuming its approprietly positioned).
    You can get it to 2+ if you run Lysander or a Techmarine (by which I mean a Thunderfire Cannon) as well. Still, I'm just not one to rely on Cover Saves too much. The sheer abundance of low-cost Template and 'ingore cover' weapons makes cover fairly unreliable.

Ive got a small squad of camo cloaked bolter scouts (to anger him further )
    Camo Cloaks...And...Bolters!? The nonsensery of the entire sentence boggles my mind. You're aware you can get Tactical Marines instead, right? ...For the same points cost!?

...Yeah, but you already knew Scouts with Bolters (let alone Camo Cloaks) would break my brain.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-01 at 04:38 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    How is a Hammerhead harder to kill than a Land Raider?

I get that it can stay out of range, to an extent, but it's FA 13, SA 12 and vulnerable to being shaken/stunned. I see other tanks popping them open all the time.

I think we're getting into specific vehicle upgrades here like the Decoy Launchers and the Disruption Pods.
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up to par (knowledge-wise) on anything non-Tau, and I have to do a lot of studying before each game, so AFB I don't know what land raiders are capable of.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Storm Shields only really help if all your Terminators have them. Once you start taking more than 3 wounds at a time, especially from pesky pie plates and Plasma Cannons, you'll be allocating wounds to the Lightning Claws, and they wont last too long. Unless they're in a Land Raider.
    I did put them together under the assumption I'd be able to get them in a Land Raider, but I won't be buying the model of it for a while and I'm not sure how to work it into the list.

You should have parts left over from your first box, yes? If so, buy the regular box of Terminators, get some cool parts (like a Heavy Flamer), and just use your spare Lightning Claws and Storm Shields on the regular Terminators.
    Might do, and if I have a body left over I might be able to make a Terminator-clad Captain/Chapter Master for future use.

Ways to use Terminators.
    Regular; Deep Strike with Storm Bolters and Assault Cannon. Metal Storm. I really don't like Terminators doing anything else. I suppose when they get really bored they can Power Fist a tank.
    Assault, Lightning Claws:Thunder Hammers;
    4:1; Add a Chaplain. Put in Land Raider. If you're using a Crusader, might want to go 5:2 and Chaplain, or 6:2.
    0:5+; Hammernators. Do whatever you want. It'll work.

You don't need Hammernators if you're running Lysander. Or vice versa.
    *puts above quote into Notepad doc titled "Marine Tactics I'll Probably Forget"*

Depends how you use it. Mine never, ever, ever leaves home without a Drop Pod. Dual Heavy Flamers for winning times. Add He'Stan.
    Was going to run it with one melta and one flamer, though that might be because the first thing the Ironclad in my first game did was immobilise my Rhino with its melta. I was also planning from the start to run it with a Pod; if I'm going to have a dread starting on my side of the table, he'll be packing the biggest guns I can get my hands on (which at the moment are the lascannon & missile rack from the kit). It'd take him too long to get across the table otherwise and he'd just be a big fire-magnet.

See? Ironclads. Drop Pods. ???. Profit.
    I'd known before the game that Pod-clads could be scarily dangerous, but there's a difference between seeing it mentioned on forums and working it out from the codex, and actually seeing it in action.

Speaking of...Are you sure you want to run Lysander? Combat Tactics is very good. Way better than Stubborn is.
    Which is my main problem. I'm wanting to run He'Stan, but part of me just keeps recoiling from the near-cheese. Though I may just bite the bullet and go with Vulcan.

Yes, and easy.
    Good to know.

Are your opponents cool with proxy models? I highly suggest trying out a Land Speeder Storm before you actually go and buy one...They're not for everybody, to put it lightly.
    They're fine with proxy models; all three games I've had so far (had one against an ork army yesterday afternoon - I lost, but it was pretty close: Pitched Battle Annihilation, lost 5-6 but the game ended early at the end of turn 3 because he had to head home. I might've been able to get another couple of kill points from blowing up some of his wagons) I've used a captain model to proxy a Jump-Pack Chaplain. Still haven't gotten around to gluing the Chaplain together yet.

I think you'll find that models with Eternal Warrior generally do ignore Power Fists. I know Lysander does.
    Fair point. I'll see how the claw goes with the assault sarge.

It is. But not with He'Stan.

Tip; I've mentioned He'Stan a lot. There's a reason for that. You should take him.
    I assume you mean "not without He'Stan."

Like I said, I'm leaning towards getting him. Especially after facing him in my first game; just about all of my casualties were from him and the Ironclad.

Really? Most people find working in Troops the easy part. It's working in everything else that's supposed to be hard.
    Well I started off with the two tac squads and then sorted out all the other units before coming back to Troops. Don't know why, in hindsight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why Locator Beacon? Do you Deep Strike your Assault Squad as well? Because that's a Terrible (capital T) idea. If you were using Vanguard, it'd be a different story.
    Actually I can't remember why I put that on there.

Or are you Deep Striking Lysander? Because you don't need to. A Drop Pod fits 12, and Lysander loves Sternguard. Or maybe you already knew that.
    I did, plus I wouldn't want to deep-strike an IC unless he was coming down as part of a squad.

Second, you're planning to Alpha Strike those Combi-Meltas. Problem is, you don't have enough of them. And you only get one shot. You need to hit. Use He'Stan. Or get more Meltas.
    Like I said, access to combi-melta bits is kind of limited without spending stupid amounts of money (plus four of the Sternguard I've built so far have normal bolters). This is just making He'Stan even more appealing.

Nice. Although I think given the squad armament, you don't really gain anything by having a 75 Point Razorback running around.
    Should I mount the squad in a Rhino or are they fine on their own?

This one works better with the Razorback since a Meltagun is not a Plasma Gun. The problem with this squad is, though, to get the full effect of the squad, you'll be needing to Combat Squad every single game. Which you might not want to do.

...Don't feel bad. Building an 'optimal' Tactical Squad is actually one of the harder things that Space Marine players have to do.
    Might leave this squad as-is. See how it goes and change if it doesn't work out.

No.
    If you want a 3+ save, you can get Tactical Marines for the same price as a Scout in a Camo Cloak. Cloaks are the worst.

Telion is a waste. He's really not worth the points IMO. You know in this squad, alone, is 80 points worth of stuff. With the +75 points you've got from ditching the Razorback up above, you've got a spare ~150 points.

Which is a whole 'nother Scout Squad. Or Devastators with Missile Launchers. Trip-Attack Bikes with Multi-Meltas? No, really. Any of those things would be better than Camo Cloaks and Telion.
    Fair enough, might go with the Attack Bikes (I like the models more than the other options you've listed and I've been wanting a way to get some bikes into this list).

Another 30 point waste. This puts you at 180+ points. If you drop Lysander for Vulkan, you get another 5 points to boot. And Ironclad in a Drop Pod with dual Heavy Flamers is 185 Points...Think about it.
    This'd actually give me a good reason to finish that Ironclad (got the sub-assemblies all built except for the right arm and then I'll just have to glue the torso and feet to the legs, then stick it on the base... messed up the Hurricane Bolter though; glued the bolters in upside-down).

Are you supposed to have 1750? Or 1700? Either way, you've got problems with that points total.

It was supposed to be a 1750 point list, I was just stumped on what to spend the left-over points on. I'll make some changes to the list and see what it all adds up to.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

14. - Top - End - #194

SamuraiGuy

I think we're getting into specific vehicle upgrades here like the Decoy Launchers and the Disruption Pods.
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up to par (knowledge-wise) on anything non-Tau, and I have to do a lot of studying before each game, so AFB I don't know what land raiders are capable of.
    A Landraider is considered the pinnacle tank of the Imperium, and indeed ingame it is second only to the Monolith to many players.

14 AV on all sides, a half dozen or so Variations that can fufill multiple roles. But in most cases, it is an assault fitted heavy vehicle armed with devastating firepower. In its basic configuration the Landraider has an assault ramp with a 10 man capacity, armed with two twin-linked Lascanon and twin-linked heavy bolters.

Power of the machine spirit means that the Landraider can fire one more weapon that it should be able to on any turn, so rules for combat speed, crew shaken and crew stunned means little to the Landraider, so even the refuge of a glancing hit means little to it.

Power of the Machine Spirit is on every single variant of the landraider, so if you cannot kill it, chances are it will turn around and vapourise whatever could be a threat to it.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    A Landraider is considered the pinnacle tank of the Imperium, and indeed ingame it is second only to the Monolith to many players.

14 AV on all sides, a half dozen or so Variations that can fufill multiple roles. But in most cases, it is an assault fitted heavy vehicle armed with devastating firepower. In its basic configuration the Landraider has an assault ramp with a 10 man capacity, armed with two twin-linked Lascanon and twin-linked heavy bolters.

Power of the machine spirit means that the Landraider can fire one more weapon that it should be able to on any turn, so rules for combat speed, crew shaken and crew stunned means little to the Landraider, so even the refuge of a glancing hit means little to it.

Power of the Machine Spirit is on every single variant of the landraider, so if you cannot kill it, chances are it will turn around and vapourise whatever could be a threat to it.
    Range, Strength and AP rating?

Hammerhead with railgun: r:72", s:10, ap:1 (or r:72", s:6, ap:4, large blast, if you fire a submunitions round)
    hammerhead with ion cannon (why?): r:60", s:7, ap:3

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

I'd known before the game that Pod-clads could be scarily dangerous, but there's a difference between seeing it mentioned on forums and working it out from the codex, and actually seeing it in action.
    In the last 2v2 tournament last Saturday here, there was a team that brought some 8 or 9 Furioso, Death Company and Ironclad Dreadnoughts, in Lucius-Pattern Drop Pods from Imperial Armour (these being the ones that cost like 30 points more than regular Drop Pods, but allow to assault after leaving them immediately).

I hear they managed to practically table an army on their very first turn...

Which is my main problem. I'm wanting to run He'Stan, but part of me just keeps recoiling from the near-cheese. Though I may just bite the bullet and go with Vulcan.
    Having played against He'Stan several times by now, I don't think the "near-" is appropriate in front of cheese.
    I can, however, testify that he is tremendously powerful.

I assume you mean "not without He'Stan."
    He was referring to your "good on paper, bad in practice" line. As in, multi-meltaing Land Speeders are good on paper but bad in practice - but not if you use He'Stan.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Hammerhead with railgun: r:72", s:10, ap:1 (or r:72", s:6, ap:4, large blast, if you fire a submunitions round)
    Str and Ap isn't the issue here, it's how killable you are at range that I was questioning. Yes, a Hammerhead has a better gun. (Although it could still lose a shoot-out with a Land Raider, as stun/shaken will turn your Hammerhead into a brick, but not a Land Raider).

18. - Top - End - #198

SamuraiGuy

Well for starters, all Landraiders are BS4, considering the majority of weapons are twin-linked. And something else about power of the machine spirit, just to add, using it, means you can fire at a different unit from what other weapons might.

Standard Landraider
    2x Twin-linked Lascannons: Heavy 1, 48", S9, AP2.
    Twin-linked Heavy Bolter: Heavy 3, 36", S5, AP4.

To this above landraider you can add a Multi-Melta (Heavy 1 24", S8 AP 1 Melta), and a Hunter-killer Missile (Unlimited Range, S8, AP3, One shot).

In regards to any of the weapons, power of the machine spirit means they can move 12" and still fire a weapon, which gives their lascannon a range of 60" and a 4+ cover save in addition to all it's other goodies to keeping it hard to hit.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there's a reason Land Raiders are 100 points more than a Hammerhead.

That said, at extreme range they've got similar odds - Hammerhead's single s10 AP1 weapon vs. Land Raider's AV14 vs. Land Raider's single s9 AP2 weapon vs. Hammerhead's AV13.

If you added a few of the available upgrades to the Hammerhead - counts as Fast, always obscured - things draw quite level.

Essentially, though, it's because of the two armies' very different underlying ideas. Space Marines - survivability and strength in redundancy; Tau - combined arms and evasion of enemy fire.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    That said, at extreme range they've got similar odds - Hammerhead's single s10 AP1 weapon vs. Land Raider's AV14 vs. Land Raider's single s9 AP2 weapon vs. Hammerhead's AV13.
    For tanks at extreme range, space marines have deep striking meltas.

Six S6 attacks at I5 on the charge? Damn right he does. Unlike alot of 4th ed heroes, the man is properly wargeared up to the eyeballs. Rites of battle? Win. 4+ invulnreble save for the _entire_ unit, extra nifty.
    So he's as good as a cover save and worse than a techmarine. Woo. He's be even worse if Dark Angels hammernators didn't suck.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-09-01 at 07:03 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

21. - Top - End - #201

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    And Blood Angels can Deepstrike Landraiders with metlas.

This reminds me, a member of my local club scratchbuilt a Storm Raven using a Valkyrie and a Rhino, I'll try and get photos this friday. Bloodstrike missiles: Scary.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Firbolg in the Playground

And Blood Angels can Deepstrike Landraiders with metlas.
    Except they have no bloody reason too, since they have combi melta sternguard like everyone else, and doa assault marines with melta guns (an okay sub par substitute) and doa vanguard veterans with melta bombs (a terribly overpriced substitute).

A deep striking land raider can power of the machine spirit a multi melta that it needs to pay extra points for (whoo, an expensive version of the worst form of dreadnought in a drop pod) or unload a unit with meltas (whoo, an expensive drop pod without a drop pod's special rules).

My Blood Angels army has managed two victories against infantry guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Libriarian
    Hand flamer, jump pack, fear of the darkness, unleash rage

Elites
    Sanguinary Priest
    1 with bike and melta bombs, 1 with power weapon and jump pack

Troops
    10 assault marines
    sergeant with power fist and hand flamer, 2 hand flamers

10 assault marines
    sergreant with inferno pistol and power sword, 2 melta guns

10 tactical marines
    sergerant with bolt gun and power fist, plasma gun and plasma cannon

Only about 3 assault marines survived both times, but the four flamers hitting those poor guard won the battle for me. That and feel no pain.

The master of ordnance hurt a lot though. I do feel that if he'd just given his sergeants power fists I wouldn't have stomped over him in every combat.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-09-01 at 07:17 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    In the last 2v2 tournament last Saturday here, there was a team that brought some 8 or 9 Furioso, Death Company and Ironclad Dreadnoughts, in Lucius-Pattern Drop Pods from Imperial Armour (these being the ones that cost like 30 points more than regular Drop Pods, but allow to assault after leaving them immediately).

I hear they managed to practically table an army on their very first turn...
    Really? IA is legal at your tournaments? That seems silly to me...

Having played against He'Stan several times by now, I don't think the "near-" is appropriate in front of cheese.
    I can, however, testify that he is tremendously powerful.
    I don't think He'Stan is cheesy at all. His special rules are good, but they're a waste unless you build your army around them. (Meltas, meltas, meltas, hammernators. It's what I'd take anyway.) It's a case of getting your points' worth, really. However, He'Stan himself is not tremendously powerful. He has a captain's profile, IIRC, with a 3+ invulnerable save, a master-crafted relic blade and a heavy flamer. I'm not too scared of that.
    Last edited by Incomp; 2010-09-01 at 07:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Sure, but if you're going to throw in stuff like that into the 'duel', the other side could probably afford two Hammerheads.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sure, but if you're going to throw in stuff like that into the 'duel', the other side could probably afford two Hammerheads.
    Which means jack. Since the Sternguard Combat Squad out of the Drop Pod and kill both tanks on Turn 1. I do it all the time.

There are more ways than Suicide Sternguard. I myself also like Attack Bikes, and regular Bike squads with Meltas. Scout Bikes with Power Fists are also fun. Same deal for Land Speeder Storms with Assault Cannons and Scouts with Power Fists that are in your opponent's DZ on Turn 1. Etc.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-01 at 07:23 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

and a 4+ cover save
    I think you have been misinformed.

The Hammerhead is the one with the 4+ cover at range.

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    Anyone who doesn't think so look up the Hades Breaching Drill. Yes, those are its abilities.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2010-09-01 at 07:31 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Which means jack. Since the Sternguard Combat Squad out of the Drop Pod and kill both tanks on Turn 1. I do it all the time.
    A combat squad? Do you mean a squad of ten divided into two combat squads of five?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Matter of fact, part of the reason these two people played a list as ridiculous as that is that they wanted to prove to the store owner that allowing IA at tournaments was a bad idea.

Alas, in one game they were up against an Inquisitor with two Mystics, who was able to mess up those incoming Dreadnoughts, and in another there was some special rule in place that said that all non-vehicle units came back over the table's edge after being destroyed, so them practically tabling the enemy before the enemy even got a single turn didn't accomplish anything. In the third game though, their opponents lost before getting a single turn. Still, they only made place 3 and didn't convince the store owner that IA is the most poorly balanced piece of squig-dung ever printed.

I don't think He'Stan is cheesy at all. His special rules are good, but they're a waste unless you build your army around them.
    Which is why you do just that when you take him. And then, he becomes quite cheesy indeed.

(Meltas, meltas, meltas, hammernators. It's what I'd take anyway.)
    That makes it even worse, as it proves he improves precisely the parts of the codex even more powerful that are the most powerful already anyway.

It's a case of getting your points' worth, really. However, He'Stan himself is not tremendously powerful. He has a captain's profile, IIRC, with a 3+ invulnerable save, a master-crafted relic blade and a heavy flamer. I'm not too scared of that.
    Re-rollable S6 attacks combined with 2+/3+ saves are not scary? I beg to differ.

A combat squad? Do you mean a squad of ten divided into two combat squads of five?
    Yes. I haven't ever seen Sternguard used in a different way.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-09-01 at 07:29 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    I think you have been misinformed.

The Hammerhead is the one with the 4+ cover at range.
    Move 12", get a 4+ cover save. Use PotMS to fire a (las/assault cannon, etc).

Unless the newer edition changed it. I never really ever learned my way through the changes between 4th and 5th.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    Move 12", get a 4+ cover save.
    That is...not the case.
    You get a 4+ cover save only if you are a Fast Skimmer that has moved more than 12".
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show