New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: WW Central VII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

I think it was.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

2. - Top - End - #722
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: WW Central VII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

I'm considering running a werewolf game, and wanted to see if A) anyone's run this concept on the board before and B) there are any comments or suggestions to go along with the game concept.

It's a minimalist game, with a setting based on one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. The game is called WW: The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.

The Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    This game is run with 20 people. There are only two types of players in this game: Neighbors and Monsters.

Neighbors are the Good Guys. They have no special powers, and their win condition is to kill all of the monsters.

The Monsters are the bad guys. They vote in secret each night phase on a player to be killed, and do not know each other to start. There are 4 Monsters in the game. Their win condition is to reduce the number of Neighbors alive in the game until it equals the number of Monsters alive.

At the start of the game, all players are seeded in a house based on their sign-up order. So Player 2 lives to the right of Player 1, Player 3 to the right of Player 2, and so on in one big circle, leaving Player 1 to the right of Player 20. As the players die off, the circle shrinks, mimicking a panicked cul-de-sac drawing together. Each night, if a night kill is made the player to the right of the killed player is awoken and allowed to scry one other living player, learning that player's role.

During the day phase, players vote to lynch someone. The person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched. It's possible to vote for no lynch, but it must have more votes than any potential lynch victim.

To accomplish this game on the forum, I imagine we'll have a 48 hour Day Phase, followed by two night phases. The Night Kill phase will be 24 hours or until I receive a kill vote from all Monsters, whichever comes first. After that, the Night Scry phase will be 24 hours or until I receive a scry from the awakened player, whichever comes first.

For the Monsters voting at night, they'll mail their votes to me via PM. If a Monster is voted to be killed at night, he survives and instead is put into contact with any Monster who voted for him.

In both the day lynch and the night kill, ties will be settled by whomever reached the highest number of votes first dying.

The Setting
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a late summer afternoon just before dusk on Maple Street, when a shadow passes overhead and a loud roar is heard, accompanied by a flash of light. Immediately after, everything that runs on electronics in the neighborhood dies. Cars, lights, radios, everything. The neighbors gather in the street, discussing what could be happening, when Tommy tells them that this is just the start of an alien invasion. The neighbors may be skeptical at first, but as things start to unravel on Maple Street they'll learn to distrust even their closest neighbors in the hunt for the Monsters.

I've played this a few times in person, and am specifically interested in how you think it will work in a forum setting.
    Werewolf Results

Overall Record (3-1)
    Last Three Games
    Shape-Shifters - The Reaper - Win!
    Breaking the 4th Wall - Troll - Win!
    Mafia XI - Mobster(Citizen) - Loss

3. - Top - End - #723
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks interesting... How many Monsters would there be, and what would happen if a Monster was due to be the scryer?

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Looks interesting... How many Monsters would there be, and what would happen if a Monster was due to be the scryer?
    Four Monsters for 20 players. And if they're eligible for the scry, they get to use it. If all living Monsters are in contact with one another, there's no reason to use it so I would just wait roughly 20 hours and declare the Night Scry phase over.
    Werewolf Results

Overall Record (3-1)
    Last Three Games

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Fairchilde View Post
    Mafia Extreme will be signing up the first 21 players - if you want to play, send me a PM, and I'll include you on the list.

Don't sign up in this thread, I'll have a thread shortly in SMBG, but I don't have the time to transfer the rules over there *right now*.

Game begins when we have 21 committed players.

(Looks... Yup, currently have the PM space...)
    Perhaps it would be better to have the topic moved to Structured?

Because if I'm gonna have to kill myself I'm gonna be pretty pissed off
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    This thread is in completely wrong place
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai
    Perhaps it would be better to have the topic moved to Structured?

Because if I'm gonna have to kill myself I'm gonna be pretty pissed off
    Well, maybe?

It's here in SMBG- Mafia extreme - for now. Mod recommendation is requested.

It's a small game, so it would't disrupt the schedule.
    Last edited by Andre Fairchilde; 2011-02-25 at 08:22 AM.
    "see the little angels rise up high, how do they rise up, rise up, how do they rise up high?"

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Byers: Sounds good and an interesting way of sharing the scry role but I suggest you randomise the starting circle. If you don't the wolves know exactly who got the scry and will kill in a large circle following it...at least my wolves would

8. - Top - End - #728
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaz View Post
    @Byers: Sounds good and an interesting way of sharing the scry role but I suggest you randomise the starting circle. If you don't the wolves know exactly who got the scry and will kill in a large circle following it...at least my wolves would
    I don't see that being a problem; they still can't stop the scry, and with no town powerroles there's no reason not to reveal them all.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaz View Post
    Even if we randomize the starting circle, unless I keep the order of the circle hidden it's known who sits next to whom. Part of the fun in the game, at least when I played it, is that the wolves know who's getting the scry when they decide the kill target. It's one more thing they need to consider when killing, and that the town needs to consider when determining what happened the night before.
    Werewolf Results

Overall Record (3-1)
    Last Three Games

10. - Top - End - #730
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mafia Extreme - Rules tweak and update, thoughts appreciated.

No baner, all roles are the same for all players.

Players get 1 action each night phase (1 choice of 4 actions: "Hit" (Kill), Unrefusable Recruit, "Extort" (switch an action recipient), or "Proection" (Bane).

Objective is to be the single winner, OR be on a winning team if you trust someone.

Well, there was at least one D&D WW game before, I know because ER was the Beast in it. Around the summer 0f 2007.

I say run it anyway, who cares if it resembles classic. We need *more* simple games with good narration, for simple brains like me. This of course, is my preference. I see a tiny bit of variation, and my head hurts and I don't sign up.

On that note, I'm considering experimenting with an Extreme Mafia limited to under 20 players.

Everyone gets either a night Kill, Bane, or Recruit action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post

...Re: Mafia extreme - I like it. Simple mayhem. I say make the recruitment unblockable. Your on Team A. You get recruited, you go to team B. Team A can recruit you the next night back if they want to. Recruitment interference if two people try to recruit the same player the same night. Start the game with 2-4 alpha's or teams, and see how it runs out from there.

Bane, Kill or Switch Sides. Next day get someone lynched who isn't you or on your team.
    Re - Mafia Extreme -

Two more things - ultimately, there can be only one winner - if a team decides to work together and accept a group win, that's on them.

You're right, I think recruiting should be unblock-able, and unrefusable. You could even call it "Blackmail" or "Extortion" or something.

The other thing is....

Night kills will not be anonymous at the next morning. If Supagoof sends in a kill for Shadow, then the narration reflects that "Supagoof killed Shadow in the Library with a chainsaw" or something. This way you can kind of look the other player in the eyes as you stick that knife in.

There's a lot of ways this could play out, and it'd be interesting to see.

Someone ***cough*** Fleeing Coward ***cough *** cough*** Murska ***cough*** ***Cough***Supagoof***cough is bound to break it on the first run through anyway.
    Players get a (one, 1) night action - Kill, Unrefusable Recruit, Bane, or Extort - only if you recruited someone.

Kill - You send in a night kill of someone, and then whack them. If they are already dead (someone already sent in a kill) - then you just smile, and whistle a jaunty tune while walking away.

Note - It is theoretically possible to have all 21 players killed on the first night, although that would be 21 to the 21st power of liklihood... and if that happens then I'll declare myself the winner and walk away to get a lottery ticket.

Unrefusable recruit - This is going to be interesting. You have someone join up with your team - and you create the name of a gang.

This is kind of anonymous - the recruiting is not public per se - but what would be announced is "The Northsiders gained a new member." "The Dead Rabbits gained three new members."

Note - You may recruit a gang member, who is then (or you are) then recruited away to a new gang! Loyalty can and will be temporary! There is *probably* one winner - although a team can win if you choose. Example - Goof recruits Shadow on Night 1, Shadow joins the team. Shadow is then recruited by Helgraf on Night 2... Now Shadow and Helgraf are on the same team, but Goof thinks Shadow is still on "his" team.

Which leads us to "Extortion"

Extortion - If you have recruited someone, then you may take their action and redirect it to someone else - but not know what that action is.

So, Night 3, Shadow decides to "Hit" Goof, but Goof is right not to trust Shadow (probably because there's only three players left at this point...) and re-directs Shadow's unknown action to Helgraf. Helgraf dies!

Also, just because you are recruited - DOES NOT MEAN you can't "Hit" the person that recruited you! Goof recruited Shadow - doesn't mean that Shadow can't kill Goof.

Baning - "Offer Protection"
    Finally the players can "Bane" themselves or another player. Why anyone would bane someone else, I don't know.

The day is divided into Day and Night phases - the Day will be 24 hours, the Night 48 hours or less.

There is no autolynch.

You may only make one night action, no changing it once you PM me. If my box is full, try again a little later.

There are no automatic actions like "I bane myself every night" - this is a race game, where actions need to be sent each night. We all know not everyone is going to get actions in.... well, that's on them.

If I get actions for all the remaining players, I'll probably update at that point.

Ok, never mind.

Now who wants to Win a Game of Werewolf?
    Last edited by Andre Fairchilde; 2011-02-25 at 10:10 PM.
    "see the little angels rise up high, how do they rise up, rise up, how do they rise up high?"

11. - Top - End - #731

You know, your game led me to inspiration for another idea:

Recruitment WW
    Lynches as normal, all players have five actions they can take each night
    Recruit
    This is the principal action. Target player is recruited to support your ideas of who should be killed in the day. Every day, you gain an extra vote for every living player who you have Recruited. Does not change victory conditions. You may be recruited by multiple people and you will give all of them extra votes. Upon death, the players who have Recruited you will be revealed.
    Void
    Target player's Night Action fails. If it is a recruit attempt, the target will be informed and their target will not be informed.
    Silence
    Target player's point does not count in the next Day Phase.
    Trap
    If you choose this action, all Voids and Silence actions on you will fail and all people that attempt to target you with those actions will be Silenced.
    Scry
    You are told who has recruited and who has been recruited by target player. (I don't expect this to be used much, but hey)
    ---
    Early in the game, it is clearly the optimal to Recruit every time. You need to try to determine who will not be lynched, and Recruit them, taking into account which people have more living recruits, and forming deals to further this. Later, there will probably be one or two people that have many more recruits, there will be a need to silence them by the weaker players. However, this becomes a game of Prisoner's Dilemma because all of them would rather Recruit more than Silence or Void. The ability to Trap also influences this; however if you're Trapping then you're not Recruiting and you may end up being usurped in votes by another player. The objective is to be the last person standing. Lynches are mandatory, and ties will be resolved randomly, not by whoever reached it first.
    TL;DR: It's like Diplomacy. Players begin equal, may the best manipulator win.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2011-02-26 at 02:08 AM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dwarf in the Playground

They have a choice of *one* action out of five, right? Or they have *Five* different actions every night. I think they have *one* of five choices, just clarifying.

13. - Top - End - #733

Just one, yes.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Assassins IV has been submitted. Hopefully people will join this time.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

15. - Top - End - #735
    Javert
    Guest in the Playground

A combination of reading through a medley of cheap/free RPGs and migraine medication led to me coming up with this bare-bones game. I'll just leave it here for you all to mock my drug-addled game design.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bourgeois Pig
    Alpha Mason
    Immune to Lynching/Night Kills until all Agents are dead, knows all Agents

Agent
    Mason
    Kill by Night Vote

Only knows identity of the Bourgeois Pig

Win Condition: Stamp out the Communist revolution by killing all Cell members and the Chairman.
    =====================
    Proletariat
    Villager

Win Condition: Survive the oppression of the Bourgeois Pig and the Communist Revolution
    =====================
    Cell Member
    Werewolf
    Can either Bane or Night Kill by Vote

Chairman
    Alpha Wolf
    Can recruit Proletariats to become Cell Members

Win Condition: Kill or Recruit all agents and the Bourgeois Pig

16. - Top - End - #736
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Gamers Dorkness Rising Werewolf is running.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Pwenet and Curly have both given their blessing, so put me down on April 25th for Nexus of the Future II, title yet to be determined. This gives me a month and a half to determine the backstory and perhaps iron out a few kinks in the roles. Who knows, we may even have a balanced game this time, but I wouldn't bet on it

With that out of the way... *whips Zar Peter into action*

I mean... your humble servant asks for permission to have your slimly, tentacled grace co-narratte!
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devils WW has been submitted for moderator approval.

EDIT: And is up and recruiting.
    Last edited by Tasroth; 2011-03-04 at 02:14 PM.
    What do you mean "Dungeon Master" isn't a proper job?

Thanks to Thufir for the avatar.

D&D Characters Past and Present:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Honest Man (3.5 LG human fighter), Princess Kailee (4e Good elf cleric), Elric (4e Good human paladin)
    Talia Dakashnit (3.5 CE human fighter), Gabriel Stryfe (d20 Modern fast hero), Tacin Willow (3.5 NG human fighter//bard)

GitP Blood Bowl Legacy League - Season 3 recruiting

19. - Top - End - #739
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Well, Pwenet and Curly have both given their blessing, so put me down on April 25th for Nexus of the Future II, title yet to be determined. This gives me a month and a half to determine the backstory and perhaps iron out a few kinks in the roles. Who knows, we may even have a balanced game this time, but I wouldn't bet on it

I mean... your humble servant asks for permission to have your slimly, tentacled grace co-narratte!
    I think you need to ask me for permission to let Zar Peter co-narrate.

So if you serve him... that means... you really serve...

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

I am so sorry your highness.

Will you allow Zar Peter to help me co-narrate or would you preffer me beating the unnamable things out of you?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whoa, whoa, whoa, we haven't had Royalty over here since George, and my family hasn't paid homage to anyone since Frederick.

The only Kings we have here are the Kings of Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, and Clubs.

I'm more partial to the Ace of Spades myself.

Ok, you have my blessings - I just want two someones to volunteer to be my co-narrators for mafia XII - 1932 to begin recruiting after Goof's "Let's Give Andre an Aneurysm" game coming up.

22. - Top - End - #742

Gnome Way to Conduct Politics has finished with a VILLAGER WIN

Well done everyone who played - hope you enjoyed it
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

23. - Top - End - #743

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post

Well, since Our maintenance drone insists We will think about helping to narrate this game. But not today, We have headache. Mordokai, will you please tell the dining drone to fetch Us some tea and biscuits and bring them to Our bedchamber. Oh, make that two cups of tea, Captain Kirk is helping Us forget the headache.

Last edited by Zar Peter; 2011-03-05 at 02:41 PM.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744

Vampire IV has ended with victories for:

Spoiler
    Show

Full: The Vampires
    Minor: The Inquisition
    Minor: The Doppleganger Neutral

With this said, I will now start drafting the ruleset for Vampire V: Paris by Night. Once the basics are ready, I'll put out calls for co-narrator/co-admins.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

25. - Top - End - #745

Whoa, whoa, whoa, we haven't had Royalty over here since George, and my family hasn't paid homage to anyone since Frederick.

The only Kings we have here are the Kings of Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, and Clubs.

I'm more partial to the Ace of Spades myself.

Ok, you have my blessings - I just want two someones to volunteer to be my co-narrators for mafia XII - 1932 to begin recruiting after Goof's "Let's Give Andre an Aneurysm" game coming up.
    Well, I'm willing ... but it means taking Helgraf out of the main running for storyboarding purposes. If people are okay with that...
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, you can still run for Mayor if you want. I just need two co-narrators to help with updating every other day lynch; I'll take care of the night actions and autolynches.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I put up the Mummy Recruitment thread, it's not up yet...but when it is I'll link it.

And the link
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2011-03-08 at 03:41 PM.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

28. - Top - End - #748
    Pixie in the Playground

Me and Lexie are starting recruitment on the 26th of March.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

29. - Top - End - #749

I have a plan for Epic [EDIT: Insane] WW. (If anyone has a better name, please tell me). It works just like regular WW/Mafia, except that there are a few major, undisclosed surprises. I would like 1 or 2 conarrators. One will have to be good at narrating the story part and keeping rules/information clear first posts. I would like one other person who considers his/herself an expert at balancing WW games. The roles are below:

Wolves:
    Spoiler
    Show

Alpha: Picks his team. Scries as villiger.
    Beast: Takes one enemy down with him/her.
    Wolf scrier: Scrier
    Voider: Voids
    Wolves: regular
    EDIT: Bomber: If all other wolves are killed before the bomber, the village has 3 days to determine the bomber or the entire town blows up.

Good Power Roles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Baner
    Scrier
    3 masons
    Mayor: Voted on night 1 by PM. Day baner. Wolves may not vote.

There is a big, potentially game changing surprise, maybe more, but this information is not public. I will inform any dedicated co-narrator of my intended surprises, but if the co-narrator cannot help or changes his/her mind, he/she may not participate after learning the secret. (As in before the game starts).

EDIT: Everyone is immune to autolynch by failure to vote, as long as a PM is sent to a narrator once every 2 nights confirming participation.

EDIT: New poster for you to add:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am also working on a song based on Of Wolf and Man by Metallica. Will have it done soon.
    Last edited by 101jir; 2011-03-09 at 11:55 AM.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

30. - Top - End - #750

Foreseeable problem

Villager votes a wolf in as the mayor. Wolves now have a daybaner.

GG town, wolves win.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show