New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play GenGame II: [Message redacted enjoy GenCola]

>MG: notice glitched tile-thingy on the window-thingy. rotate it 'till it's fixed.

>CC#003 and 4: Do something.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #422

>MG: With nothing left to do, recall extremely distant past.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    Anyone else find it strange how [MESSAGE REDACTED ENJOY GENCOLA!] has become a meme within the boards, but not the comic itself?
    What? What's a meme? AARGH!
    is anyone else COMPLETELY SATISFIED! with Gencorp. SATISFYING MY EVERY NEED AS A CONSUMER? And the censorship is NON-EXISTENT | ENJOY GENCOLA!

Edit: the heck?!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

>MG: Destroy [WORSHIP] GenCola Machine

>MG: Wonder what just happened
    Last edited by licoot; 2011-02-14 at 03:04 PM.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

> MG: Check DEPARTURE BOARD (currently offscreen) for time until next train.

Why bother? This train departed awhile ago, and you don’t need to look at any other departures since this next station is the closest one to CASTLE BANE. In fact, you’re pretty sure that this is the last section of FLOODED TUNNELS the train passes through before it reaches the station, so it should only be a few minutes longer.

All this is thanks to the handy MAP you managed to find and download.

> MG: Recruit glitched mole rat into adventuring party.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-02-14 at 05:23 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

> MG: Recruit glitched mole rat into adventuring party.

You can’t really see what possible use that would be. Rats are pretty average fighters to begin with, and this one isn’t even part of the WARRIOR caste, he’s just a MINER. You bet even your DISPENSER would be more use in a fight than he would.

Spending any more time with these rats seems like a pretty bad idea. It won’t do anything but get you bogged down in more POINTLESS SHENANIGANS. No more of that for you! From now on you’re completely goal oriented. You need to get to CASTLE BANE, and nothing will slow you down or distract you! Nothing!

> ==>
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-02-14 at 05:25 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-02-15 at 07:51 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428

MG: Order army of mole rat miners to do actual quest while you explore mysterious crashing sounds
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Everything Else by Me

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

give the miner your [Yummy gencola] that was [gifted to such a valued customer as] you!
    Last edited by flabort; 2011-02-14 at 05:37 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    give the miner your useless fluid that was forced upon you!
    *sits and waits for GenCorp to show up with their editing [REFRESHING BEVERAGES]*
    Last edited by licoot; 2011-02-14 at 05:35 PM.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Everything Else by Me

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

MG: realise that every time you bought Gencola from the vending machine, the cost of a month's subscription to Gengame came out of your bank account.

MG: Attempt to repair derailed train- converting it into a customised HYPER-BATTLE TRAIN capable of storming castle bane.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Rats arn't that bad. I mean, they arn't much in the way of front liners, but they are one of the better support species in the game. Rat Mines are one of the most reliable ways to get resources in the game.

Offensively, they're not much in the front lines, but you can do some interesting things with them. If you've got water to work with you can build pirats to disrupt you enemy. Plus Rat Buglers are the best early-access thief type unit in the game available without shenanigans (Like Biomancering Cuttlefish and Hawks together). Plus, you can eventually get the Cammorat.
    Of course, few people realize this, because if they pick up a Rat lieutenant it's usually a Sorcerat or Rat King. The Legitimate Buisnessrat is the smart choice for players taking the long view.
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-14 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Ratmines... While you are right that they are one of the better resource generators in the game, they require a Class II Mechanofortress. Considering that we have an unliberated Mechanofortress, we can't even build anything that requires a Class I Mechanofortress. And a Cammorat requires a Class IV Mechanofortress.
    However, recruiting the Minerat as our Lieutenant would allow us to use Rat/mechanist shenanigans, which are nice even before upgrading our Lieutenant. Should we upgrade the Minerat, I recommend something that goes well with mechanist, such as the Rat-at-at-at-atter. Hobomachinegunner FTW!
    Anyways, after recruiting him, we can outfit CC #001 with a Rat-Railgun, and since it's a light long ranged weapon, we can fit it on at the same time as the saw, giving CC #001 some much needed versatility. It's also useful in that it can be used to dry off if you get wet.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Rat Railgun? No. We'd want to be building Ratling Guns.
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-14 at 06:06 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Rats arn't that bad. I mean, they arn't much in the way of front liners, but they are one of the better support species in the game. Rat Mines are one of the most reliable ways to get resources in the game.

Offensively, they're not much in the front lines, but you can do some interesting things with them. If you've got water to work with you can build pirats to disrupt you enemy. Plus Rat Buglers are the best early-access thief type unit in the game available without shenanigans (Like Biomancering Cuttlefish and Hawks together). Plus, you can eventually get the Cammorat.
    Of course, few people realize this, because if they pick up a Rat lieutenant it's usually a Sorcerat or Rat King. The Legitimate Buisnessrat is the smart choice for players taking the long view.
    I thoroughly disagree with everything you just said. Sure, Rat mines are reliable, but they never give you enough resources to be worth it. It would be far better to find some Delving Dwarfs. Sure, they are possibly one of the least reliable groups, but they have superb front-liners, incredible mines, and may produce artifacts. Thief type units are overrated: The steals are rarely worth it, and the kidnapping abilities are testy at best. I suppose getting a Thief type up to the level they can pull a Caper is pretty good, but it's too long for too little benefit.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    I thoroughly disagree with everything you just said. Sure, Rat mines are reliable, but they never give you enough resources to be worth it. It would be far better to find some Delving Dwarfs. Sure, they are possibly one of the least reliable groups, but they have superb front-liners, incredible mines, and may produce artifacts. Thief type units are overrated: The steals are rarely worth it, and the kidnapping abilities are testy at best. I suppose getting a Thief type up to the level they can pull a Caper is pretty good, but it's too long for too little benefit.
    Oh yeah, if you're just picking your allies from the list I'll take Delving Dwarves over Rats. But we have to work with what we're given, and all things considered Rats are not that bad.
    As for the use of Thief type units, you've clearly never seen what they can do when you have a Spy in the party. Normally Spies are loners, however if they can lead some other stealth units they can do wonders.
    Plus, Steals and Kidnappings arn't the use of thief type units. I mean, sure they can help, but you can do so much more. Spying, bribery, blackmail, assasinations, sabotauge, ect. Once you've gotten a couple Plaugefellas running around, maybe a Sopratno or two...my the fun that can be had.
    Plus, Rat's can be used to spread Plague in your opponent's lands while remaining immune themselves.

Edit: If your lieutenant ever becomes a Big Cheese, you've basically won.
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-14 at 08:07 PM.
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Edit: the heck?!
    There is no mind control, go back to your [Gencola.]

18. - Top - End - #438
    Firbolg in the Playground

MG: There is no KILL like OVERKILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #439

>MG: Cautiously peek at off screen location. Your not getting distracted. You are just focusing on something else.
    My Avatar Adoption Center
    (I take personal avatar requests!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a True Neutral Gnome Bard (1st level)

20. - Top - End - #440

>MG: Open the door and jump. This distraction will likely take far too long.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

>MG: Use heat and light of impending explosion to sweat and moan while showing off your curves

... what?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Banned

Ya know folks, I've been thinking about BH's predicament, and I realized something. Now, I may not be all that great at the quantum stuff, but the heuristic side is just as important for a game that requires thought forms for control, and well...

Remember Cthonics and Creepers? All sorts of bad stuff went down when it was released, and they took it off the market. The patches are still on every bit of code though, because it's almost impossible to remove something like that from a game thats so darn [GREAT] as Gengame. But after the lawsuits, they had to take the sanity mechanics out of the game. So floating around are small tweaks to handle Eldritch Abominations From Beyond The Veil, with all the downsides cut off!

What was that genre? Insipid Investigator or somesuch? Sure, it sucks for most of the game, but the genre of sleuth who stumbles upon Secrets Man Wasn't Meant To Know would be reall handy right about now, and the best part? Coming to terms with reality being but a mote in the eye of some greater uncaring thing to which we are dust in the wind, so we can combat it's evil malignancy with it's own powers, wouldn't cost us SANITY at all! The EGO hit may be a bit much, but triumphing over an ELDER ABOMINATION or even just a TENTACLED TERROR should put BH back at least as high on the EGO meter as before she delved beyond all sanity or rationality. Maybe higher!

So is it worth taking a hit to the Genre Grid to slingshot our way up into the SUPEREGO range?

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's the Intrepid Investigator your thinking of, though the name changes to Insipid Investigator if you take too much sanity damage. The main benefit is a high resistance to insanity-inducing effects, which rarely come up anymore.
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #444
    Banned

I thought it gave you advanced looting capabilities? Funnily shaped ROCKS became sources of MENACING SHADOWS, random books became TOMEs OF FORBIDDEN LORE, etc. Or is that a late-level mechanic? But would it even be useful at high levels when you're already suffering from Seeing Things In The Shadows... Ugh, this is why I stopped playing hard-core after the fourth expansion came out, too much detail that I get garbled. Or was it the fourth patch? ARGH!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I thought it gave you advanced looting capabilities? Funnily shaped ROCKS became sources of MENACING SHADOWS, random books became TOMEs OF FORBIDDEN LORE, etc. Or is that a late-level mechanic? But would it even be useful at high levels when you're already suffering from Seeing Things In The Shadows... Ugh, this is why I stopped playing hard-core after the fourth expansion came out, too much detail that I get garbled. Or was it the fourth patch? ARGH!
    No, you can find Shadows and Tomes. Not to mention Signs and Portents, but everybody who encountered Unreality could technically find those. Intrepid Investigators were just much better at it. Usually, looking for those things meant you would take even MORE insanity damage as you encountered the Unreal more and more frequently. The resistance to Insanity Inducing effects was a big draw, because it meant you could actually go seeking Unreal Artifacts without taking so much sanity damage that you were reduced to a gibbering moron.
    For about a month after Cthonics and Creepers came out, Intrepid Investigator+Occultist teams dominated the game. The Investigators would find Unreal Artifacts and hand them off to the Occultists. Since the Investigators had taken the Sanity Damage from finding the artifacts, the Occultists could easily soak up the insanity that resulted from using them.

Note: Unreal has a very different meaning than "Fake" or "Nonexistant"
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-15 at 02:04 AM.
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

And how do we propose we get that? Genres are random, incase you forgot, and even if BH does get it, there's the little problem with our glitched genre grid.
    However, I do agree that, since Gencorp had to cut away sanity mechanics, Unreal artifacts are a ton more powerful. I'm surprised, though, that Occultist/Spy teams didn't still dominate the game afterwords. [Enjoy Gencola!] and stuff, the only reason I'm aware of that Unreal artifacts aren't still the be-all end-all tool to winning Gengame is that you needed a high sanity damage to reliably find that stuff, and without sanity damage existing anymore, those things are REALLY hard to find.
    However, [Enjoy Gencola in three new flavors!], because [Bananabomb Blackout Gencola] still allows you to [Enjoy the sweet, thirst quenching benefits of Gencola] without falling to [ignoring the awesome power of Gencola!]. So, lets cross our fingers and hope, anyways.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

C&C was back when they tried to let your actions determine Genre Grid unlocks. Officially they made it random, but once they were determined by actions, which is why you have all those guides about how to unlock genres out there. People like to think they kept the old system, just stopped telling you about the Unlock conditions.

Either way, the Intrepid Investigator's unlock condition was surviving an encounter with the Unreal while taking no more than mild Sanity damage. They randomized the Genre Grid in the same patch they got rid of Sanity Damage. Since Sanity Damage was gone, so was the purpose of the Intrepid Investigator.
    According to [Message Redacted: Enjoy Gencola] rather than remove the Intrepid Investigator entirely, or change it from having an Unlock Condition to being randomized with the others, they simply left the unlock condition the same. Since, theoretically, there was no more Sanity damage, you could never achieve the Unlock Condition, and so it was basically the same effect as removing the Genre altogether.

However, as we all know, Sanity Damage was never entirely gone. Traces of it have been reported here and there. It was a major mechanic, GenCo didn't actually remove it, they just covered it over as best they could.

Apparently, if you do find some, you can meet the Intrepid Investigator's unlock condition and unlock the Genre.
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-15 at 01:53 PM.
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

So what, do you think that [Genpark] BH was in had one of those [Amazing rides! fun for the whole family!] in which you can adjust the [volume of your screams as you hurdle down the amazing Genrocket ride] until you unlock [All the candy you desire! CottonGen! corn Gendogs! mini Gennuts! all rich in nutrients and trans fat free!] for [Only the low-low price of twenty genbucks per person! Volunteer at Genlabs and get two weeks free!] ...hmmm... maybe i should [Take your family to Genpark today! try the Gencola flavour of the month FREE!]
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

>MG: WONDER if it was such a good idea to take this train route.

Hope MG is not subscribed to, Gengame Standard, which is pathetic, I hear that Gengame Prenium, the world's greatest MMO has much faster trains.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

30. - Top - End - #450

*Starts rebellion against GenCola [appreciation society]*
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Everything Else by Me