New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XVIII

"Ok, the party needs a front-line fighter to protect the party. They get style points for originality and negative points for cheese. At some point in the characters adventures they need to take levels in..." *opens up envelope* "Animal Lord. Animal Lord is this character's secret ingredient."
    "Now for the parties skillmonkey...

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd be SO into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Totally in! That sounds awesome!

New IC Spinoff: Iron Chef Party!
    That totally sounds like a Wii game.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    Totally in! That sounds awesome!

New IC Spinoff: Iron Chef Party!
    That totally sounds like a Wii game.
    Or we could make it...

EXTREME Iron Chef: The Iron Party!

Where four characters have to cover all the basics an adventuring team needs... and yet all four have to use the SAME SECRET INGREDIENT!

Go Team Rage Mage!

Of course... you'd have to allow 3-5 months for judging...
    Last edited by gbprime; 2011-03-08 at 12:24 PM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Of course... you'd have to allow 3-5 months for judging...
    Perhaps a less intensive judging was utilized for such an event?

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    Perhaps a less intensive judging was utilized for such an event?
    Judges, please select either "YOU DID IT!" or "YOU DIDN'T DO IT!"
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-03-08 at 01:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    "Ok, the party needs a front-line fighter to protect the party. They get style points for originality and negative points for cheese. At some point in the characters adventures they need to take levels in..." *opens up envelope* "Animal Lord. Animal Lord is this character's secret ingredient."
    "Now for the parties skillmonkey...
    I would play that in a heartbeat.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Iron Party sounds hilarious. It'd almost be even better if the party was on a super-accelerated XP schedule (gaining a level every session or two) so you could actually see how the different builds would come into their own across a range of levels. Normally I don't need a breakneck leveling pace, but in a campaign in which you're specifically expected to plan to max out a given PrC as the entire point, I think it could be interesting.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #279

Okay, this has to happen. Any volunteers willing to DM?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Were such an endeavor to be undertaken I think it would be necessary to have an accelerated xp system in place. Judgment for the characters would be given at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level (assuming it went that long.)
    The secret ingredient could be decided by popular vote (made in a separate topic that the party would avoid, based on the honor system), the DM of the game or by true-shinken (since he is the Iron Chef Competition founder).

The big value of such a game would be seeing these insane characters in action and seeing first hand how game viable they really are. The downside is the length of time required, since the game would require at least a few months time, not to mention the judging. Though the game could obviously progress while judging is still going on. Not to mention that the judges would only have to deal with 4-6 participants total.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    by true-shinken (since he is the Iron Chef Competition founder).
    Err...no, no he's not. He's just the current chairman. Heliomance started the first Iron Chef in the Playground and I think it was on BG before that.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

So, would each 'contestant' submit an entire party, or would each player submit a single character to fill a role while using the secret ingredient? Because if it's the latter, I don't see how judging is at all necessary - you're either good at your role or your not.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Err...no, no he's not. He's just the current chairman. Heliomance started the first Iron Chef in the Playground and I think it was on BG before that.
    I just assumed he was since he was the one that seems to start all the topics.
    So, would each 'contestant' submit an entire party, or would each player submit a single character to fill a role while using the secret ingredient? Because if it's the latter, I don't see how judging is at all necessary - you're either good at your role or your not.
    Could go either way I suppose, though I think it would probably be better if each player made only one character. The judging would largely be based on originality and effectiveness, plus there would be actual evidence of the character's playability so the judging should be a bit smoother.

And I am just throwing out how I would run it if I were the DM, which I'm not volunteering for. I've got enough games running in real life as it is.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok. Bad news, and average news. My laptop decided that its HDD wasn't all that important and stopped booting from it. That would be the bad news. Average news: I had about half of it on google documents. It will be posted TODAY by noon central. That is 10 hours and 15 minutes from this post. I'm going to shoot for earlier, but we have seen how this works.

Also how much are laptop harddrives? :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Ok. Bad news, and average news. My laptop decided that its HDD wasn't all that important and stopped booting from it. That would be the bad news. Average news: I had about half of it on google documents. It will be posted TODAY by noon central. That is 10 hours and 15 minutes from this post. I'm going to shoot for earlier, but we have seen how this works.

Also how much are laptop harddrives? :'(
    Bummer dude...laptop HDDs are usually more expensive and harder to replace the desktop. What make is it?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Bummer dude...laptop HDDs are usually more expensive and harder to replace the desktop. What make is it?
    HP Pavilion dv9XXX (can't remember at the moment) I may just get a new one since it has the completely ridiculous hinge crack error.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2011-03-09 at 08:16 AM.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

The top 3 price points off of pricewatch.com:
    160gb for $30
    400gb for $45
    1tb for $100

It looks like goHardDrive.com has really good prices in general, but half their stuff is out of stock.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, as I mentioned in a post probably shortly above this, my hard drive failed. However as someone above a panda mentioned, if I dilly-dally this will have taken a month. I’m sure we are all ready to be an Eye of Gruumish or whatever the current favorite of “level 4 power” hint is. So I’m going to focus slightly less than I normally do in making sure everything in a build is correct (not going to track every skill point like I would since I’m bizarrely OCD about that) and more on getting this out in a timely fashion. I have had weird dreams of True Shinken acting as Jigsaw and chaining me in a basement to ensure I stop finding distractions. Not really, but ya know.

Skull Face
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: I love the work around for RHD and LA (+1). The flavor is nice, and I hadn’t ever heard of the creature you ended up going (+.5). Ranger was most expected (-.5).
    Power
    : Your BAB is terrible for front line, decent stat for hitting, but that isn’t the main thing that sets this one up. Taint is delicious (don’t eat it). Sacrificing spells for arcane strike will help, especially since the ones you have are fairly circumstantial. Natural flight is always pleasant.
    Elegance
    : Oddly I’m going to take half a point for two builds here, while simultaneously giving a point for one of the smoothest introductions to a char with RHD(+1). It literally introduces itself. (.5) Which brings me to the next point. The queen’s beast that hunts and has become the thing of children’s story of frightening creatures is a scholar? The order for this bothers me too, the aforementioned fae queen said to get him trained in that before completing the hunter training? Skullface? Hmm, no. (-1) Also no “sweet spot,” although I do appreciate the FAQ style help. (just a note, no points off/on)
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : Why this class? What does it add? You don’t use all the features, and I’m sure there is something else that would be better for him. (-1) What you do use is quite good for the character however.
    Total Score: 13

The Creeper
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Bamboo Spirit, what is that? Fleshcrafter, odd choice. (+1) Ranger was expected, however. (-.5)
    Power: I’m not really sure what this build is meant to do. May +.5be the spoilers of disputes clarify, but I don’t see its strength. That said fleshcrafting is nice, your BAB is low for a front liner, spells are average utility stuff. Gear isn’t even mentioned. -1.5
    Elegance: Relating back to the power issue, this doesn’t seem like it is complete. No sweet spot, or even much on the build is presented. -1 Also your story doesn’t fit the character much, although it would be easy to make another one.
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : Take dark hunter early, and stick with it for a good while. I like that. (+.5). Again I find myself wondering why dark hunter though. (-1)
    Total Score: 9.5

Perpetua
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Wasn’t really expecting any psychics in this one.(+1) Nothing really out of the usual after going with an ardent
    Power
    : I’m not fond of the ardent channel trick, but I’m not going to contest it. I think it was allowed in another competition that I don’t have time to look for. However I think its a wash as you don’t really do anything spectacular when you do fight.
    Elegance
    : Real smooth entry into the class, using unusual elements(+.5) I don’t like the ardent’s abuse of manifester levels though. (-.5)
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : This class more than any other is why go it? (-2) You have no real reason to go into it mechanically, and the Rapunezel gone wild story doesn’t really work imo. (still avoiding marking for fluff, though)
    Total Score: 11

Reek
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Fiendish desert goblins don’t see enough love. (+1)
    Power
    : Feels a bit like luck + WBL power, however its hard to argue with what you could tame. And wands are good. You are actually likely to use speed buffs you got as you don’t feel like getting too close. (+1) Warlock isn’t a big class with me so I don’t know it enough, but I was pretty sure practised casting didn’t help its blast. (-.25 if so)
    Elegance
    : Assumed LA buy off, especially since the most likely cut levels would be the hunter levels. (-.5) Really hate the one level splash, but I said I won’t cut points for that as I wasn’t originally going to judge.
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : I see this one as a very interesting ambush type build. Which oddly dark hunter seems to be more geared to. (+1) The beast master class from comp adventurer probably would be a better fit, but this works very well.
    Total Score: 14.5

Tamalin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Ranger (-.5) Moonsea is new one to me (+.5), while killoren isn’t too uncommon when arching away.
    Power
    : Swift flying death...with puffing badger. Wait, what? Ok, lets see how the archer works. Only 2 feats spent, no large damage bonus anywhere. Your hawk + badger aren’t going to hurt. (-1) IMO your sweet spot is probably one of the weakest spots in the build, as your damage is about the same while the monsters got a lot tougher.
    Elegance: The way you weave skysentinal in with dark hunter is a bit strange. Fluff wise it works, and mechanically it does too. I just don’t like how it does it. (+-.5, 0 in other words)
    Use of Secret Ingredient: You took it all the way, but I don’t know why this class still. More ranger or any of the other archer classes would be better (-1) It doesn’t feel like a wild hunter, almost see a fun NPC doing a reporter on it, with the badger as the ground interview but that may be the fact I’m tired.
    Total Score: 10

Faltino
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Everytime i see the totemist picture it is hilarious. Also didn’t see it coming (+.5)
    Powe
    r: Good charging, so long as you have your little friend. (+1) You mentioned lions charge but not where you got it. I’m guessing chameleon stuff. Able to do some stuff out of combat is always good.
    Elegance: Irregular feat stuff to qualify for a PrC (chameleon floating feat). (-.5)
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : Didn’t complete the class, although you have a reasonably compelling suggestion on why not. IC is not reasonable though. Almost completed it though, and said what you could have swapped out. (-.25) Mounted combat seems pretty good with this class, as the speed bump is great. (+.5)
    Total Score:13.25
    Note: I like the secret agent backstory as it has more structure to why they are in it, but with a fae class I can’t be too surprised a lot of stories are “cuz I can” or “she was pretty”

Ogar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: What is with this competition and its fascination with bears? Ranger (-.5) Bear Warrior (+1)
    Power
    : Stacks of bears should logically trump everything. Obviously a 5 IRL, however once again D&D mechanics wishes to have a word. Decent damage, good hits, fairly SAD. Great BAB +1.5 2 rages per days hurt though. I would consider extra rage instead of, say intimidating rage. Work it in somehow. (-.25)
    Elegance: I only wish it was a Bear Totem barbarian. However Ape is better. Leveling structure is strong, but nothing wows or disappoints.
    Use of Secret Ingredient: Flavor wise I feel this is the strong class for it. Part of the wild hunt, literally turning into an animal, etc. Even the way you level it so you get 1 level early, then as your character gets used to it he levels a lot more. (+1) The spells chosen help. A lot. (+.5) Nothing else stands out to me, and it ignores more of the other features. (-.5)
    Total Score:14.75

Tamlaine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Ranger (-.5). Knight and silverwood are rare (+1).
    Power
    : Here we have a slight issue. Fairly front heavy in power, as your standstill is far better at the beginning. I don’t see a large amount of damage in the form of anything. Share spells you get fairly late, but its good stuff. BAB is just slightly low.
    Elegance
    : I like how well you can buff that cat with share spells, however you spent several feats replicating (poorly) a spell you have. These would have been better getting yourself a bigger damage bonus, or more combat control via trip or similiar. The leveling structure is good and silverwood adds a lot to this build.
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : You take the full class, and you take most of it early. You use the spells a lot during the earlier levels. (+.5)
    Total Score: 12.5

The Loyal Servant
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: A ninja totemist dragonborn anthropomorphic owl crinti shadow marauder. I think we all saw this coming.
    Power
    : Your combo works pretty well, and is hilarious. BAB is again low, but that should be fine as hopefully you are hitting flatfooted with a +2 invisible bonus. Also you are a rogue type so it isn’t terrible. Really thats about all I can say.
    Elegance
    : Your build as posted assumes LA buy off (although you did mention what you would do if it wasn’t available) (-.25)
    Use of Secret Ingredient
    : Used pretty much everything, explaining what is good about this class. If you can call it that, mind you.
    Total Score: 15.25
    Note: This is less penalty for LA buy off since it explains what it would cut.

Apparently I like Tamalin so much that I had em down twice. Weird. I finished formatting, but I am sick and tired so I will go over this with a fine tooth comb to see if I forgot anything. I assume that by the time I get back on someone will have a list of those things anyway :D
    (checks calendar) *phew, 2 days short of that month*

I woke up and saw that I missed two. I check which and see its cuz I'm stupid and thought I had Tamalin down twice. I actually woke up and thought I did something wrong too, really weird. I apologize profusely to the creator of those two builds.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2011-03-09 at 09:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

HalflingPirate

I think instead of having two Tamalins, you maybe should have had a Tamlaine... You also seem to be missing the Servant.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

20. - Top - End - #290

Yeah, BobVosh, you missed the last two entries. Once they're up, shink, can we reveal the contestants and move on to the next round ASAP? Pretty please?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am sorry guys, I had it done so just a bit of formatting and its good.

Also of all the ones to not add it was the beam shooting owl. Obviously forgettable.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2011-03-09 at 07:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome. Let's get this show on the road.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, BobVosh.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... BobVosh... could you double check your math? At least one of the entries scores doesn't add up to the total you listed for each one. And I think 1st place is hanging on it...
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Yeah, BobVosh, you missed the last two entries. Once they're up, shink, can we reveal the contestants and move on to the next round ASAP? Pretty please?
    OK. Guys, I'm sorry but we're still out of trophies. Jumilk has yet to get something to replace her Flash/Fireworks combo that actually runs on her netbook.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Last round's trophies too...

I'd drop an old Photoshop CS3 disk in the post if I thought that'd help...
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

My breath is baited,
    Waiting for the new rankings,
    Posted for viewing.

Please? When you can?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Uh... BobVosh... could you double check your math? At least one of the entries scores doesn't add up to the total you listed for each one. And I think 1st place is hanging on it...
    Corrected score for loyal servant.

28. - Top - End - #298

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, BobVosh.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I'm here and the updated totals haven't been posted:

Tallies after three judges (before disputes)
    {table=head]ENTRY|PLACE|TOTALS|AVERAGE
    The Loyal Servant|GOLD|43.25|3.6
    Reek|SILVER|41.5|3.458
    Ogar|BRONZE|36.75|3.065
    Skullface|Fourth|35.5|2.956
    Faltino|Fifth|35.25|2.9375
    Tamlaine|Sixth|35|2.917
    Perpetua|Seventh|32.5|2.708
    The Creeper|Eighth|28.5|2.375
    Tamalin|Eighth|28.5|2.375[/table]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I'm all in favor of just moving forward, honestly. I'd like to see what ICOC XIX has to offer.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-03-11 at 01:58 PM.