New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Base Class]Harrowed [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Sengachi View Post
    I think I have a few suggestions. I'll have to think on exactly how it would work, but each of these Harrowings would add an ability to a Natural attack.

Tentacles get a grapple Harrowing
    The tail gets a trip Harrowing
    The claws get a sunder Harrowing which burns a use of Tenebrous Touch (melee) (will save for this one?)
    The jaws get a rend harrowing (hit with one claw and jaws = extra dmg)

I'll give some specifics for these soon.
    Some of these ideas are currently in the works, and I am gleefully accepting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Insidious Chaos: The Harrowed’s beast is infused with the roiling energies of chaos. It is likely to be temperamental, fickle, and otherwise unpredictable. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d4 points of a random energy damage, plus an additional 1d4 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is the random damage and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to resistance of any kind. The Tenebrous Touch manifests as a multicolor array of energies, those struck must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ Harrowed’s class level + the Harrowed’s charisma modifier) or be dazed until the end of its next turn.
    {table=head]d8 | damage|d8 | damage
    1|Cold|5|Sonic
    2|Fire|6|Force
    3|Electric|7|Positive
    4|Acid|8|Negative[/table]

The list of random damage may be a bit much, but I thought I should make it actually worth only d4 damage. (Prismatic effects are usually less damage :/ but random)
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-18 at 09:17 AM.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, Gareth, I thought I'd just let you know that one of my players has requested this class in my game, and I'll be allowing it. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. (Or you could read the game as it goes, it's on this site)

4. - Top - End - #124

Sweet class dude, but just thought I'd point out this (almost completely unimportant) error. You mention this in the Abilities section at the beginning:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    ...and Dexterity is essential for accurate use of their Shadowmental Touch...
    ...but I think it's been re-named Tenebrous Touch in the class itself. Just thought I'd let you know since you seem to be shooting for perfection here...
    Last edited by Veklim; 2011-07-18 at 03:43 PM.
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

I know a few people here have already mentioned making a stealth-oriented Harrowed more viable, but I don't think I saw anyone mention the easiest solution. Just create a feat that makes Rogue/Harrowed levels stack for the purpose of determining sneak attack damage, and possibly also Tenebrous Touch.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

If he does that then a Tenebrous Sneak Attack will quickly ramp to insane damage levels, some of it elemental, and another not subject to any resistance.

BAD idea.

But I love Cipherthe3vil's idea. fit in well with all the chaotic nature of the class...

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

7. - Top - End - #127

Kokoroken
    The blade of Souls.
    The demigod quietly called out to the harrowed soul.
    "Freedom be with you"
    The Harrowed, dominated by his beast, showed no signs of restraint, and charged the warrior. The Warrior, however, stood unwavering. Eyes closed, hand resting across her blade. As the Harrowed closed on her, she struck in a flash. The dark blade suddenly in her outstretched hands.
    The Harrowed writhed on the ground before her, skin warping and tearing until a spectral demon rose from the body. Charging now she cut the ghostly form and it dissipated, absorbing into the blade.
    The Demigod turned to the man was breathing steadily. He survived after all, now to live on free from his curse.

Kokoroken is a legendary blade owned, or previously owned, by the Demigod Shiroyuri. The Spirit Warrior. Said to have been crafted by a collective of Death gods, it holds the power to separate any manner of possession, trap souls, consume souls, and kill even the already dead.

{table=head]Weapon | Special Properties | Damage | Weight | Size | Value
    Kokoroken | Ghost Touch, effects Ethereal, Soul Steal, Sever Connection | 2d6 | 6lbs | Large | Artifact [/table]

Ghost Touch/Ethereal:
    Kokoroken works on incorporeal and Ethereal creatures with no penalty.

Large: Kokoroken is a Large katana-like blade. Or "Daikatana"

Soul Steal: Creatures slain by Kokoroken are sealed within the blade. Which from then on permanently adds 1 hardness and 1 hp to the blade until the soul is removed. Once per round as a standard action, Kokoroken can release a soul which escapes in a potent effect causing a 100ft Cone of untyped damage equal to the HD of the soul as d6's. Randomly roll 1d20 to determine the soul's HD if you do not know any souls within the blade, if you know one or some you can call upon those specific souls if you wish.
    Kokoroken has no limit on held souls.

Sever Connection: The ultimate ability to sever ties, bindings, seals, fusions, pacts, ect.
    Any creature that has a pact with some creature, is bound or has bindings, is sealed or has seals, or is otherwise fused or tied to another creature has this connection severed.
    This severing is absolute, it breaks ones ties to deities, demons, anything including the Harrowed's Beast.
    To use Sever Connection, one must focus they're whole turn to deliver a single attack as a full round action. This may be used with Iajutsu Focus and other modifiers. The attack uses your highest BAB.
    Sever Connection works with Soul Steal in cases in which a sever connection severs a possession or other form of connection in which one or more members of the connection share one body, in which case the intruder is absorbed within the blade if it fails a will save DC 40.

A Harrowed's beast may or may not be effected by the absorbing effect, depends on the DM and what they see for the beast.

The connection leaves all physical modifications and a lingering force. a Harrowed does not loose Harrowings, or any class features besides Beast Within. However, Wish Spells and the like can remove unwanted features from now on.

Divine spellcasting and the like isn't based on an actual connection, its your faith to the deity who in turn grants you spells.

Otherwise connections can easily be re-established if both parties are still in existence, and willing.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-18 at 11:34 PM.

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Sever Connection: The ultimate ability to sever ties, bindings, seals, fusions, pacts, ect.
    Any creature that has a pact with some creature, is bound or has bindings, is sealed or has seals, or is otherwise fused or tied to another creature has this connection severed.
    While I like the weapon, this part really bugs me. in fact, it irks me beyond belief.

The idea of the Harrowed is that the person is carrying a trapped entity with them, right? your class relies on this fact. Meaning, if you get hit bit this sword you lose all those class features you worked so hard for. This not only applies to Harrowed, but also Warlocks, and any divine caster that gets their spells from a god, because of the somewhat loose wording.

Honestly? I think it's a bad choice for an otherwise good weapon.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    While I like the weapon, this part really bugs me. in fact, it irks me beyond belief.

The idea of the Harrowed is that the person is carrying a trapped entity with them, right? your class relies on this fact. Meaning, if you get hit bit this sword you lose all those class features you worked so hard for. This not only applies to Harrowed, but also Warlocks, and any divine caster that gets their spells from a god, because of the somewhat loose wording.

hm? "Your class"?
    Anyway, thats why its a legendary artifact wielded by demigods.
    I don't know about Warlocks, never looked into'em. But it only removes the Beast, The harrowed itself would remain tainted with the power its stolen from it, all it does is effectively remove the Beast Within feature.
    As for Divine casters, I don't see how its a connection. just a relation in which I believe in you, get others to believe in you, you give me stuff. Kinda like paying someone for an item. Only your exchanging with a Deity who doesn't care so much about money, but needs followers to gain power. well, and you don't actually ever see them.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-18 at 11:09 PM.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5 Base Class]Harrowed [PEACH]

wow...fancy meeting you here...I've been subscribing to this thread to see how it came along...thought it was dead for a while, but nope! anyways, i agree, and yeah...probably should have thought of something useful to say... *POOF* PolterGuest, awaaaayyy!
    doll avatar by Recaiden
    I'm not a weird, odd, or unusual human. Just a shiny one.
    This is what I do in my free time
    Dread Pirate Roberts in the playground

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

hm? "Your class"?
    Anyway, thats why its a legendary artifact wielded by demigods.
    I don't know about Warlocks, never looked into'em. But it only removes the Beast, The harrowed itself would remain tainted with the power its stolen from it, all it does is effectively remove the Beast Within feature.
    As for Divine casters, I don't see how its a connection. just a relation in which I believe in you, get others to believe in you, you give me stuff. Kinda like paying someone for an item. Only your exchanging with a Deity who doesn't care so much about money, but needs followers to gain power. well, and you don't actually ever see them.
    Admittedly, it's meant to be wielded by something righteously powerful, but the simple wording of the ability is poor is all I was getting at, and because of how players are, if it exists, they'll steal it so they can abuse it.

In any case, "it breaks ones ties to deities, demons, anything including the Harrowed's Beast". Warlocks gain their class features by channeling demonic or devilish energy. Clerics channel the power of the gods. The harrowed only is warped because of their beast.

The cleric (And all other god worshiping divine classes) and Warlock would all lose their supernatural class features - ie, everything that makes them better than the warrior class. The Harrowed, at least going by the DMs I've run with, would take away every class ability that could be tied to the beast if I was a harrowed and hit by this - meaning everything, and my feats would all become wasted as well, making me even worse than the warrior class.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

The cleric (And all other god worshiping divine classes) and Warlock would all lose their supernatural class features - ie, everything that makes them better than the warrior class. The Harrowed, at least going by the DMs I've run with, would take away every class ability that could be tied to the beast if I was a harrowed and hit by this - meaning everything, and my feats would all become wasted as well, making me even worse than the warrior class.
    I'd have to agree with this. There is a reason everyone who worships a deity isn't a divine casters, as the casters are the ones who have established a connection with their god. As for the harrowed, while i could see the physical changes remaining (you keep any natural attacks you gained, and possibly other similar things), most any other abilities would be lost, as the harrowed only really steals the power it is actively using, making it more channelling it (as they don't hoard it for later use).

Also, depending on how one interprets the connection, they would still be a harrowed (as in a vessel to contain a beast of unspeakable power), but just have lost their ability to draw on its power (at least until they die and are reborn as harrowed are, though that may still fail to re-establish the connection depending on DM ruling), or you just unleashed a beast of unspeakable power onto the world and effectively destroyed the universe, including yourself (as the beasts are unbeatable, more powerful than most anything else in existence, and the only thing that could stop it was the chains binding it to the harrowed, which you just cut).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Also, depending on how one interprets the connection, they would still be a harrowed (as in a vessel to contain a beast of unspeakable power), but just have lost their ability to draw on its power (at least until they die and are reborn as harrowed are, though that may still fail to re-establish the connection depending on DM ruling), or you just unleashed a beast of unspeakable power onto the world and effectively destroyed the universe, including yourself (as the beasts are unbeatable, more powerful than most anything else in existence, and the only thing that could stop it was the chains binding it to the harrowed, which you just cut).

Owrtho

this is just how i interpret.
    but as you said, its a being of unspeakable power. meaning it obviously would leave the Harrowed with power just by being connected with the poor soul for eternity until then.
    Also, it doesn't so much release it as it does change prison from the living creature, to the artifact.
    depends on the DM though.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #134

Wee, new stuff cropping up everywhere! I've only got the time to comment on the artifact for the moment, but here goes nothing:

Kokoroken
    The blade of Souls.
    The demigod quietly called out to the harrowed soul.
    "Freedom be with you"
    The Harrowed, dominated by his beast, showed no signs of restraint, and charged the warrior. The Warrior, however, stood unwavering. Eyes closed, hand resting across her blade. As the Harrowed closed on her, she struck in a flash. The dark blade suddenly in her outstretched hands.
    The Harrowed writhed on the ground before her, skin warping and tearing until a spectral demon rose from the body. Charging now she cut the ghostly form and it dissipated, absorbing into the blade.
    The Demigod turned to the man was breathing steadily. He survived after all, now to live on free from his curse.

Kokoroken is a legendary blade owned, or previously owned, by the Demigod Shiroyuri. The Spirit Warrior. Said to have been crafted by a collective of Death gods, it holds the power to separate any manner of possession, trap souls, consume souls, and kill even the already dead.
    You'll note in the Harrowed description that even greater deities (and, at the DM's discretion, overdeities) fail consistently to affect the prison containing the Beast Within. The description under "The Monster Within" actually mentions artifacts specifically as being ineffective, and it does so quite on purpose - being divested of all of your class features is pretty much the exact opposite of fun.

TL;DR - Removing the Beast Within is way above the pay grade of a demigod.

Kokoroken | Ghost Touch, effects Ethereal, Soul Steal, Sever Connection | 2d6 | 6lbs | Large | Artifact [/table]

Ghost Touch/Ethereal:
    Kokoroken works on incorporeal and Ethereal creatures with no penalty.

Large: Kokoroken is a Large katana-like blade. Or "Daikatana"
    Making it a Large bastard sword works, but at that point why not just make it a Medium greatsword?

Also, try this on for size:

Phantasmal Strike: Kokoroken is treated as having the ghost touch property. Additionally, it allows its wielder to see into the Ethereal Plane (provided the plane they are on connects to it) and freely strike ethereal creatures (again, provided the plane they are on connects to the ethereal plane).

Soul Steal: Creatures slain by Kokoroken are sealed within the blade. Which from then on permanently adds 1 hardness and 1 hp to the blade until the soul is removed. Once per round as a standard action, Kokoroken can release a soul which escapes in a potent effect causing a 100ft Cone of untyped damage equal to the HD of the soul as d6's. Randomly roll 1d20 to determine the soul's HD if you do not know any souls within the blade, if you know one or some you can call upon those specific souls if you wish.
    Kokoroken has no limit on held souls.
    Artifacts are unbreakable except by truly heroic efforts, such as by grinding them between the gears of Mechanus, bathing them in the grateful tears of a thousand mothers whose stillborn children were resurrected, or having a greater deity break an oath sworn on the weapon; essentially, making the sword tougher with every soul is a non-useful effect. Also, wording cleanup!

Steal Souls: Creatures slain by Kokoroken have their souls removed and sealed within the blade. While the soul is trapped within Kokoroken, it cannot be raised or ressurected by anything short of divine intervention (which removes it from the blade), but is also utterly safe from harm. Once per round, as a standard action, the wielder of Kokoroken may unleash one of its stored souls, propelling it forth as a 100 foot cone of pure divine energy (dealing 1d6 points of damage per hit die the soul possessed in life) and allowing the soul to move on to its proper afterlife, be raised and ressurected, et cetera. Kokoroken is always found with no souls in its blade; whenever it passes to a new wielder, it releases those that it formerly kept prisoner, harmlessly allowing them to slip from the blade.

Sever Connections
    This is just poorly worded and, in a few cases, poorly thought-out, but the essential idea is a good one. May I suggest:

Sever Connections: Kokoroken's ultimate ability is its power to disrupt connections and sunder divine contracts. Its wielder makes a melee attack as a full-round action; if the attack succeeds, its victim must succeed at a DC 40 Will save or have their connections to other entities utterly disrupted. Beings that use divine spellcasting lose access to their divine spellcasting and divinely-granted spell-like abilities for 24 hours, beings benefiting from contracts with the outer planes (including but not limited to: deals with devils, exalted feats, and warlock class levels) lose access to those benefits for 24 hours, and Harrowed that fail their save against the effect lose access to all of their class features except for Harrowings for 24 hours (additionally, they lose all access to [Harrowed] feats during that time). At the end of that 24 hour period, the wielder of Kokoroken may choose to permanently sacrifice a point of Wisdom; if they do, all beings currently affected by its Sever Connections ability are instead affected for the period of one month, at the end of which they regain access to their abilities.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #135

Making it a Large bastard sword works, but at that point why not just make it a Medium greatsword?
    Hm? I read somewhere the Greatsword was large... oh well.
    Nothing should ever be more potent then overdeities, they're supposedly the equivalent of true gods. Rather then mere "Deities". Who think on universal scales, and can't be bothered with even an entire planets worth of troubles.
    If some [(Demon? Elemental?)] was more powerful then an overdeity nothing could really keep it with one mortal creature...

I like you changes to the artifact (and appreciate rewording, fixing, ect), though the point of it was to provide a way to be freed from the beast.
    Don't get me wrong (WAAAAAAAAAY wrong mind you), I love the class. just some fluff discrepancies/views or what ever appropriate word fits there.
    Oh and to the poorly thought out comment.... nothing I make is ever "thought out" :3

Kokoroken
    The blade of Souls.
    Kokoroken is a legendary blade owned, or previously owned, by the Demigod Shiroyuri. The Spirit Warrior. Said to have been crafted by a collective of Death gods, it holds the power to separate any manner of possession, trap souls, and kill even the already dead.

Kokoroken | Phantasmal Strike, Soul Steal, Sever Connection | 2d8 | 6lbs | Medium | Artifact [/table]

Manefestation: Kokoroken is a faint legend, Its said to appears as a Fullblade, Large Bastard sword, or Daikatana. Depending on the era, or location it respawned into existence again. All three blades share the same stats, no real change to listed mechanics beyond cosmetic alterations to fluff.

Phantasmal Strike: Kokoroken is treated as having the ghost touch property. Additionally, it allows its wielder to see into the Ethereal Plane (provided the plane they are on connects to it) and freely strike ethereal creatures (again, provided the plane they are on connects to the ethereal plane).

Steal Souls: Creatures slain by Kokoroken have their souls removed and sealed within the blade. While the soul is trapped within Kokoroken, it cannot be raised or resurrected by anything short of divine intervention of two deities, or a deity of death (which removes it from the blade), but is also utterly safe from harm. Once per round, as a standard action, the wielder of Kokoroken may unleash one of its stored souls, propelling it forth as a 100 foot cone of pure divine energy (dealing 1d6 points of damage per hit die the soul possessed in life) and allowing the soul to move on to its proper afterlife, be raised and resurrected, et cetera. Kokoroken is always found with no souls in its blade; whenever it passes to a new wielder, it releases those that it formerly kept prisoner, harmlessly allowing them to slip from the blade.

Sever Connections: Kokoroken's ultimate ability is its power to disrupt connections and sunder divine contracts. Its wielder makes a melee attack as a full-round action; if the attack succeeds, its victim must succeed at a DC 40 Will save or have their connections to other entities utterly disrupted. Beings that use divine spellcasting lose access to their divine spellcasting and divinely-granted spell-like abilities for 24 hours, beings benefiting from contracts with the outer planes (including but not limited to: deals with devils, exalted feats, and warlock class levels) lose access to those benefits for 24 hours, and Harrowed that fail their save against the effect lose access to all of their class features except for Harrowings for 24 hours (additionally, they lose all access to [Harrowed] feats during that time). At the end of that 24 hour period, the wielder of Kokoroken may choose to permanently sacrifice a point of Wisdom; if they do, all beings currently affected by its Sever Connections ability are instead affected for the period of one month, at the end of which they regain access to their abilities.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-19 at 07:02 PM.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #136

If some [(Demon? Elemental?)] was more powerful then an overdeity nothing could really keep it with one mortal creature...
    The term you're looking for is Plane-Devouring Abomination. The default fluff (which is in no way required for use in your games; this is just how I run Harrowed) is that these things, when free and loose, operate on the same power level as The Lady of Pain. The section on fighting The Beast Within simply reads: "You lose." Ages and ages and ages ago, beings of similar power trapped them within mortal souls with sorceries far beyond the comprehension of anything currently alive, and Harrowed were the result.

This is, of course, utterly up to change in your game, but I'll say this again: losing all of your class features and becoming a mildly upgraded Commoner is fun for precisely no one.

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #137

The term you're looking for is Plane-Devouring Abomination. The default fluff (which is in no way required for use in your games; this is just how I run Harrowed) is that these things, when free and loose, operate on the same power level as The Lady of Pain. The section on fighting The Beast Within simply reads: "You lose." Ages and ages and ages ago, beings of similar power trapped them within mortal souls with sorceries far beyond the comprehension of anything currently alive, and Harrowed were the result.

This is, of course, utterly up to change in your game, but I'll say this again: losing all of your class features and becoming a mildly upgraded Commoner is fun for precisely no one.
    *googles Lady of Pain for first time*
    Meh... >>

Anyway, how was Insidious Chaos?

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Just poking my head in, but one of the players for my upcoming campaign has expressed interest in the 'possesses a sealed eldritch abomination/demon/Elder-Evil' archtype, and so I'll be having a Harrowed in my upcoming game.

Granted, the fluff is a bit different (she's only the FIRST reincarnation) and she's only got Negative Energy Tenebrous Touch to play with, but hey. The mechanics are there.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm? I read somewhere the Greatsword was large... oh well.
    In 3.0, perhaps. Weapon size in 3.5 is a measure of the typical wielder, as opposed to the the weapon's actual size. It was an attempt to simplify, which I don't think worked terribly well but them's the breaks.

If you're going by how much damage you want the artifact to use, Greatsword would be the matching weapon. If you want a large Bastard Sword, may I suggest the Full Blade (Arms and Equipment Guide), which is essentially a large Bastard Sword with special rules for medium wielders to still be able to use one. Its other name is Ogre's Bastard Sword, so yeah, that may be what you're looking for. A large bastard sword and a full blade both do 2d8, which is one size category larger on the weapon table, incidentally.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #140

Insidious Chaos: The Harrowed’s beast is infused with the roiling energies of chaos. It is likely to be temperamental, fickle, and otherwise unpredictable. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d4 points of a random energy damage, plus an additional 1d4 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is the random damage and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to resistance of any kind. The Tenebrous Touch manifests as a multicolor array of energies, those struck must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ Harrowed’s class level + the Harrowed’s charisma modifier) or be dazed until the end of its next turn.
    1|Cold|5|Sonic
    2|Fire|6|Force
    3|Electric|7|Positive

The list of random damage may be a bit much, but I thought I should make it actually worth only d4 damage. (Prismatic effects are usually less damage :/ but random)
    Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with it, I just...don't like it. Can't figure out why.

My extended homebrew sig

21. - Top - End - #141

Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with it, I just...don't like it. Can't figure out why.
    maybe... to many energy options?
    you could reduce it to:
    {table=head] d4 | damage
    1 | Fire
    2 | Cold
    3 | Electric
    4 | Acid
    [/table]
    And as such you'd be able to boost the damage to d6 instead of d4, since its using the common energies with no chance of Sonic or something with obscure resistances.
    (I don't like the idea of the main move being only a d4 anyway)

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd suggest changing the Dazed part. the ability to daze opponents with an at will ability is fairly powerful, as they can't take any actions for the round. I'd suggest Dazzled for a status that suggests a simmilar fluff but wouldn't be as powerful. Particularly when you factor in the prismatic effect making it so you almost always will be able to get around immunity or resistance (at least on some attacks).

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-07-20 at 04:45 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

23. - Top - End - #143

I'd suggest changing the Dazed part. the ability to daze opponents with an at will ability is fairly powerful, as they can't take any actions for the round. I'd suggest Dazzled for a status that suggests a simmilar fluff but wouldn't be as powerful. Particularly when you factor in the prismatic effect making it so you almost always will be able to get around immunity or resistance (at least on some attacks).

Owrtho
    Dazzled. seriously? that has to be one of the most underwhelming effects in the game. That plus only 1d4 damage would be... completely not-worth it.

hm...

Is Confused better then?
    maybe Blinded...

Or perhaps its Secondary effect mirrors the element of the ability who's energy it steals?

Fire would have the unholy-catch-them-on fire, Acid would have the half-damage-again-next-turn, ect.
    It would still be balanced as:
    You have no control over which ability you use.
    You deal 1d4, rather then 1d6 damage (excluding the other 1d4 moves)
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-20 at 04:59 PM.

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, confusion would be better than Dazed, given it only has a 20% chance of making them lose all actions for the round, though that still seems like it could be a bit powerful for an ability gained at level 1 and is usable at will.

Blinded is a bit strong, but possibly not too bad.

The mirroring secondary effects could work, though in that case it really should have the reduced damage die and possibly a slightly lowered DC.

May also need to specify what happens with the resistance from Bestial Resilience though. Possibly have them roll to see if they have the appropriate resistance at the moment or else have it reduced.
    (perhapse roll on the same table when taking energy damage. If you roll the matching number, you have your full resistance, if you roll within 1 value of it, you have half. Otherwise you have none. Count 1 and the last number as adjacent. Arguably works better if you use the set of 8 energies)

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-07-20 at 05:12 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the resistance should be just "full resistance on accurate, non if not." the adjacent thing makes it much more powerful at the 4 energy list, or completely senseless at the 8 energy (because you cant logically order it)

In general I think the best thing will be 1d6 damage of 4 types, with no secondary ability. the random damage is stronger then you first realize when you conclude that spellcasters will likely have spells to grant resistance to a given energy types, so many times the fixed attack is a 1-shot or only once at full power, while the random one don't even allow to put up such countermeasures...

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

26. - Top - End - #146

Well, confusion would be better than Dazed, given it only has a 20% chance of making them lose all actions for the round, though that still seems like it could be a bit powerful for an ability gained at level 1 and is usable at will.

Blinded is a bit strong, but possibly not too bad.

The mirroring secondary effects could work, though in that case it really should have the reduced damage die and possibly a slightly lowered DC.

May also need to specify what happens with the resistance from Bestial Resilience though. Possibly have them roll to see if they have the appropriate resistance at the moment or else have it reduced.
    (perhapse roll on the same table when taking energy damage. If you roll the matching number, you have your full resistance, if you roll within 1 value of it, you have half. Otherwise you have none. Count 1 and the last number as adjacent. Arguably works better if you use the set of 8 energies)

Owrtho

Insidious Chaos: The Harrowed’s beast is infused with the roiling energies of chaos. It is likely to be temperamental, fickle, and otherwise unpredictable. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d4 points of a random energy damage, plus an additional 1d4 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is the random damage and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to resistance of any kind. The Tenebrous Touch manifests as a multicolor array of energies, those struck are affected by the secondary effect of the Tenebrous Touch the Insidious Chaos is mimicking.
    1|Cold|5|Sonic
    2|Fire|6|Force
    3|Electric|7|Positive
    Resistances relying on the Harrowed's Tenebrous Touch don't always work. Roll 1d8, If the number is equal to the number given on the above table for the attacks energy, you are resistant to it. If its within one step, half the resistance applies. 1 and 8 are considered within one step.

EDIT:
    Not willing to forfeit a secondary ability. Even as d6 its somewhat weaker then many abilities. but I guess thats where Dazzled could find use, for a low-impact secondary.
    alternate

Insidious Chaos: The Harrowed’s beast is infused with the roiling energies of chaos. It is likely to be temperamental, fickle, and otherwise unpredictable. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d6 points of a random energy damage, plus an additional 1d4 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is the random damage and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to resistance of any kind. The Tenebrous Touch manifests as a multicolor array of energies, those struck must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ Harrowed’s class level + the Harrowed’s charisma modifier) or be dazzled for 1d4 turns
    {table=head]d8 | damage
    1|Cold|
    2|Fire|
    3|Electric|
    4|Acid|[/table]
    Resistances relying on Tenebrous Touch don't always work. Roll a 1d4 using the table above. If you roll the opposing energy damage, resistance applies.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-07-20 at 05:28 PM.

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

If we are at it, I might as well suggest another one...a seriously anti-magic focused one, but inefficient versus melee, espcially other anti-magic melee)

Eldritch Malice: The Harrowed’s beast is suffused with pure unshaped magical energies. Her beast is likely to be alien, senseless and generally akward. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d6 points of damage, plus an additional 1d6 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is pure magic and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to any kind of resistance. (the magic damage is being resisted by spell resistance) The pure magical energies causes magic around them to flux, if the attack hit any spell or spell like ability the target casts has a chance to fail equal to the damage dealt by the magic energy (but not the unholy one)

Resistances relying on Tenebrous Touch grant Spell Resistance of half that amount instead.

A bit insane, and quite lethal against casters, but could be a nice addition. and casters piss me off anyways.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Eldritch Malice: The Harrowed’s beast is suffused with pure unshaped magical energies. Her beast is likely to be alien, senseless and generally akward. Starting at level one, the Harrowed’s Tenebrous Touch deals 1d6 points of damage, plus an additional 1d6 per two class levels thereafter, half of which is pure magic and half of which stems directly from unholy power and is not subject to any kind of resistance. (the magic damage is being resisted by spell resistance) The pure magical energies causes magic around them to flux, if the attack hit any spell or spell like ability the target casts has a chance to fail equal to the damage dealt by the magic energy (but not the unholy one)
    When you say it's resisted by spell resistance, do you mean it treats it like normal energy resistance, or that it requires a check to overcome spell resistance? Also, in the former case that is rather weak, as spell resistance is often much higher than energy resistance at a given level.

Also, your wording on the flux ability is poor. You say when it hits a spell or spell like ability, but normally you would be targetting the caster. It would make more sense to have it affect any spells the caster is currectly casting or attempts to cast until the start of your next turn. You also don't mention what the failure chance is out of, and generally damage dealt would be quite low as it is only half a d6 (at first anyway). It might be better to require a concentration check DC 10 + magic damage dealt + charisma modifier, as that would be arround 50% chance as level 1, and each time a new die gets added have the chance to get a bit higher.

Resistances relying on Tenebrous Touch grant Spell Resistance of half that amount instead.
    This seems odd. After all, at level 9 when you gain this, if the average spell you encounter will have a caster level arround 9, then that means they'll roll 1d20+9 to overcome your spell resistance. Even at the normal 10 that means they automaticall pass (as they only need to roll equal to). By making it 5, then it's even worse and can for the most part be ignored. I'd also note that most often SR is given in valuse such as 10+hd (or half hd depending on how strong they want it to be). It would make more sense to actually grant twice the spell resistance that you would normally gain energy resistance.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

I...didn't quite think it through...I just threw something into the air hoping gareth will sort it out x_x...

30. - Top - End - #150

I...didn't quite think it through...I just threw something into the air hoping gareth will sort it out x_x...
    Sorry, but I won't; I'm not going to give Harrowed players false hope of becoming "caster killers" when, in fact, it'd be more like breeding the world's largest and most ferocious house cat...to hunt elephants.

That being said:

Tenebrous Assassin [Harrowed]
    You have learned to deliver vicious Tenebrous Touch attacks to vulnerable opponents.
    Prerequisites: Profane Hunter harrowing, Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike or Skirmish +2d6 or Death Attack class feature(s).
    Effect: Whenever you make a Sneak Attack or Death Attack with your Tenebrous Touch, the save DC for its secondary effect and/or the save DC for your Death Attack increases by two. Additionally, you gain two free skill ranks in both Hide and Move Silently, up to your class skill maximum.

Select a single class you possess levels in that advances the Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, Skirmish or Death Attack features. Your levels in Harrowed stack with levels in that class for the purposes of advancing those features.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2011-07-25 at 10:27 AM.

My extended homebrew sig