New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Question for DMs

Just wondering, what would you do if one of your players wanted to jump his horse off a 90 foot cliff?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Question for DMs

Start counting my d10s.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Have the Interplanar Police come along and arrest him for animal cruelty.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Make the local nature godess save the horse while letting the player fall to his death. Divine intervention for the win.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I believe the DM of the Rings covered this subjuect sufficently.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gillric View Post
    Just wondering, what would you do if one of your players wanted to jump his horse off a 90 foot cliff?
    There has to be more to it than just this.

What was he trying to accomplish? Does he just want to play a new character or is this part of some weird plan?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, he just was too stubborn to leave the damn horse behind

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

No, he just was too stubborn to leave the damn horse behind
    So wait... He was going to jump off the cliff anyway and decided to take his horse? But why jump off the cliff in the first place?
    Last edited by evirus; 2011-04-08 at 09:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

90 ft?
    By the RAW, that's 9d6, or an average of 31.5 damage, so I'd point out that the fall would likely kill the horse, and badly injure the PC.

If he insisted, it's his character. I'd have the PC's alignment move toward chaotic and evil.

Next, the jump attempt may not work.

The horse may refuse to jump. Make a ride check, with a -4 circumstance penalty. If that's failed, the PC needs to make a ride check to stay in the saddle when the horse freezes on the edge. If the PC falls off, he can make a REF save DC15 to not fall over the edge.

If the ride check to jump is passed, then the horse and rider sail out into the air and tumble down the cliff. To stay on top of the horse as it falls, I'd have the PC make a ride check.
    If the PC failed that ride check, I'd use the rules for falling objects to have the rider deal damage to the horse and the horse to the rider, additionally to the falling damage.

Of course, in my house ruled game, this fall would almost certainly kill or cripple any character - falling damage is partially applied to CON.

EDIT: Just noticed I'm posting in the 4e section. Not sure if the figures and checks work this way in 4e... But my principle stands, I think.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-04-08 at 09:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

First of all, the mount would refuse such an action. If it is somehow forced or tricked to do so anyway, I guess it's 9d10 damage right there, or perhaps even insta-death depending on the situation. But I'd need a very convincing argument for him/her to do somthing like this in the first place (ok, I guess I might allow it, if it was part of an extremely cinematic/awesome/high tier action scene).

Divine intervention seems silly: in that case the gods should interfere all the time!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Make him roll a d20, if he rolls a 1, he misses the ground and gains a fly speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

and if he fails he takes 9D10 falling damage and the horse comes back and haunts him!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Make him roll a d20, if he rolls a 1, he misses the ground and gains a fly speed.

I must apply this houserule to my games! Though I guess it would make statistical sense to do this on rolling 1 twice in a row.
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'd definitely have the mount refuse unless the player does one of few things.

1) Intimidates it at a high enough DC. Make the DC at least equal to the Horse's Will defense.

2) Nature check to convince the horse to do it, I'd put the DC higher than that of the Intimidate check.

3) Blinds the horse and spurs it. Of course, the horse will fall, not jump.

Have you tried convincing him to stick his horse in a bag of holding and jumping?

edit: The two checks should be IMPOSSIBLE without training and hard with training. So if the player is trained in either skill, make the DC equal to the player's check -3 or so. If the player isn't trained, make the check equal to the player's maximum check +2 (ie: impossible to do alone)

In addition, if the player fails his/her check the horse tries to throw them off and run away.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-04-08 at 01:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The mount bucks and throws him off. Horses aren't that stupid.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

If he's not ON the horse, roll initiative.

If he is... figure out what he's trying to accomplish and rule from there.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The mount bucks and throws him off. Horses aren't that stupid.
    Well, tries to. Nature is used for Handle Animal, so I'd use the nature skill for the check to try this.

The horse is what, level 1 or 3 depending on type. Staying on should be Hard for a character of the horse's level. So either way DC 15 to stay on the horse, getting the horse to actually go over the cliff? I'd say that's much worse, but if he makes a DC of 25 on the handle animal roll then I'd say he not only stays on but the horse goes with him.

Staying on top of the horse when it hits the ground? Beats me, but I'll bet having 1600lb or so of horse land on top of you is bad. Since I have a sick sense of humor that's what happens if he rolls exactly 25 on his nature roll, and I'd let him know this AFTER he says what he's doing and PRIOR to rolling the dice, more fun for everyone.

DougL

Edit to add: I haven't had anyone do anything as stupid as jump a horse off a cliff in a long time, stunts and misuse of minions and prisoners, yes, that sort of thing, no. I maintain that things like "the horse may well land on you" is part of why people don't do that sort of ****. Unlike divine intervention it's a perfectly reasonable and likely consequence of the action and the action is clearly something "the rules don't cover".
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2011-04-08 at 01:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This sounds like it's going to be an interesting character death.

Level 3 elven ranger - Crushed by a horse after falling off a cliff with it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'd probably give the horse a Saving Throw to see if it could stop itself from being moved into Obviously Hazardous Terrain.

If it succeeded, it would fall prone at the edge of the cliff.

If it failed, then I'd roll 9d10 and apply the damage to both the Horse and the PC. If the Horse survives, it lands prone at the bottom of the cliff. If the Horse does not, then it is killed outright.

Adjudicate damage to the PC as normal.

OK, now I have to ask - why is this even a question? Aside from the Saving Throw bit, it's straight-up RAW. If this is a question about whether to follow the rules or not, the answer is "follow the rules - the Player is committed to doing something stupid and should experience the fallout."
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Needless to say I was not the DM, and I was rather opposed to how the DM handled it. I am also not the one jumping the horse off a cliff. Just wanted to find out how other DMs would handle the situation.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Needless to say I was not the DM, and I was rather opposed to how the DM handled it. I am also not the one jumping the horse off a cliff. Just wanted to find out how other DMs would handle the situation.
    Well, how did the DM handle it? And what did you find objectionable?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

This depends on how long he has had the horse. Only a highly trained horse that trusted its rider, would even consider doing such a thing.

Thus, he would need to make a difficult skill check to succeed. Failing that, another moderate skill check, to not go over by himself.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I'd probably give the horse a Saving Throw to see if it could stop itself from being moved into Obviously Hazardous Terrain.
    Why? The horse ISN'T being forced to move. And that save is against forced movement. Since the horse isn't being forced to move, then if it's smart enough to resist being moved into Obviously Hazardous Terrain it simply doesn't do it.

Mounts are USUALLY cooperative with their rider, but it's still the mount's movement, not the rider's. I can't see how the forced movement rules can POSSIBLY apply. Either the horse controls it's movement and gets to decide what to do (and doesn't go over the side baring the PC doing something to make it) or the rider has complete control of the horse's actions by virtue of sitting on it and can dictate that it tries to jump off the cliff (in which case this isn't forced and the horse doesn't get a save).

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    If it succeeded, it would fall prone at the edge of the cliff.

If it failed, then I'd roll 9d10 and apply the damage to both the Horse and the PC. If the Horse survives, it lands prone at the bottom of the cliff. If the Horse does not, then it is killed outright.

Adjudicate damage to the PC as normal.

OK, now I have to ask - why is this even a question? Aside from the Saving Throw bit, it's straight-up RAW. If this is a question about whether to follow the rules or not, the answer is "follow the rules - the Player is committed to doing something stupid and should experience the fallout."
    Where do the rules say that a mount will do absolutely anything a rider tells them to?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Where do the rules say that a mount will do absolutely anything a rider tells them to?
    The damage is straightforward. How effectively the mount resists and whether the rider stays with the mount are up to the GM.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    The damage is straightforward. How effectively the mount resists and whether the rider stays with the mount are up to the GM.
    So you agree with me? Typically posts are followups to something they disagree with or contain a definite statement of disagreement. But that's 100% in agreement with what I said.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Let's not turn this into another arguement, I want to see what actually happened before the thread gets locked.

Plus we have enough arguements on these forums nowadays.

I would say it's something completely up to the DM since there aren't rules in place for it. As a DM you'd have to make an arbitration.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So you agree with me? Typically posts are followups to something they disagree with or contain a definite statement of disagreement. But that's 100% in agreement with what I said.
    I choose to be atypical.

The post was clarification of several previous posts but I didn't quote them all. Apologies if I thought I was targeting your post explicitly. It looked like you disagreed with Oracle questioning why this question was being asked. I was trying to clarify what I thought Oracle_Hunter meant, which was that the damage should not be questioned. In retrospect I should have included his quotation as well as yours.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

As I said, the RAW on mount reaction is limited at best. Better to do a quick adjudication to a not-important act than to turn it into a Skill Challenge.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG (Errata)
    Actions (Adventurers Only): An adventurer and his or her mount have one combined set of actions: a standard action, a move action, and a minor action. The player chooses how the two creatures use the actions on the adventurer’s turn. Most commonly, the mount takes a move action to walk or fly, and the adventurer takes a standard action to attack. The adventurer and the mount also share a single immediate action each round and a single opportunity action each turn. If the adventurer dismounts, the two still share one set of actions on that turn, but have separate sets of actions thereafter.
    Emphasis mine.

No, it doesn't says mounts always do what they're rider tells them, but in the case of movement it seems that Players get to choose how the rider acts as long as the PC is mounted on it.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well the DM let him just jump, horse's free will not accounted for. Also, somehow he reduced the falling damage by 2d10 for sliding down a sheer wall........

30. - Top - End - #30

Horse stops suddenly at/near edge of cliff, he makes a saving throw: if he passes he falls prone off the horse at the edge of the cliff, if he fails he takes full falling damage and lands prone at bottom of cliff (probably killing him).

Also he gets an OOC slap from whoever's sitting nearest to him at the table
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show