New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I really like the colours on Lilitu's dress
    Thanks. I think I'm finally getting the hang of sheer fabrics.

EDIT:

Hooded Rider:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by dsmiles; 2012-01-08 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a question. When I order from the War Store, I always get one of their random bits bags, from which have come great conversions, useful spare parts, some pieced together D&D minis, and even a full Terminator squad. But in my latest order, I got this:
    Spoiler
    Show

One of my favorite D&D characters is a gryphon-riding paladin. I'd dearly love to get the kit this came out of to model him, but when I look through the Warhammer Fantasy line, I don't see anything like it. The closest thing is the Empire general on griffon, but that's not a match, though it might work (though no go if it's metal). Does anyone know whence this piece comes?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

3. - Top - End - #873
    Barbarian in the Playground

As proof that I'm still alive and painting, I present some of my most recent work.

First is a TT commission I'm doing for a buddy in my gaming group. The sculpt is from Reaper and the figure itself is pretty unforgivable- proportions are all over the place and his face is terrible. But, I didn't pick the mini and, since he's a good friend and I know the character he's using this mini for in our Pathfinder game, I didn't have any problems painting him.

This guy was an unintentional speed job- painting itself was less than 2 hours, not counting drying time for quick shade or glue or anything. I think the painting turned out good and even managed to redeem the scuplt a little.

I went crazy on the base- wanted something that would really look awesome on the table, but I also needed to find some way to make him fit on a base. The base he's on is a 1" round base form Rackham before they went under. I used the shield because it was the only way to keep his sword from hanging in mid air... that and it looks cool.

Spoiler
    Show

Doing another IMperial Guard commission for the same client as the others. Nothing special here, just another TT job. Enjoyed doing them, though. Here's a small selection.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by CreganTur; 2012-01-08 at 10:44 PM.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I have a question. When I order from the War Store, I always get one of their random bits bags, from which have come great conversions, useful spare parts, some pieced together D&D minis, and even a full Terminator squad. But in my latest order, I got this:
    Spoiler
    Show

One of my favorite D&D characters is a gryphon-riding paladin. I'd dearly love to get the kit this came out of to model him, but when I look through the Warhammer Fantasy line, I don't see anything like it. The closest thing is the Empire general on griffon, but that's not a match, though it might work (though no go if it's metal). Does anyone know whence this piece comes?
    That appears to be half of the high-elf prince on a griffin, which is only found as part of the Island of Blood set, which costs about $100, if I recall. I got mine, however, through ebay for less then $10, including shipping. I wish you luck in finding it!
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

5. - Top - End - #875

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    That appears to be half of the high-elf prince on a griffin, which is only found as part of the Island of Blood set, which costs about $100, if I recall. I got mine, however, through ebay for less then $10, including shipping. I wish you luck in finding it!
    Not hard, once you know what to look for. Thanks.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

I got some greenstuff today so I got working on some obliterators. I'm just posting some WIP photos but for some reason the pictures look worse than before I updated the phone OS. They're way too big for some reason.

I decided to convert some terminators into obliterators. They still need a lot of work but I'ev gotten work started. Here's some WIP stuff:

Spoiler
    Show

Each of them has some more greenstuff on the back. Idecided to have them be recognizeeable as terminator-armored since it makes sense.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, hey guys. Bit of an odd question here... Long story short, I've been given about 8 months to make a successful business, and I want to sell custom miniatures for at least part of my line. Anyone have any good resources on how to sculpt miniatures from scratch? I'm a bit handy with greenstuff, but I'm not quite confident enough to make my own dudes. Yet.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a tough proposition. Wish I could help. Reaper sells some pre-formed bodies with no faces or gear or anything. Maybe start with one of those for the base sculpt, and mass produce from there?

Anyways, here's my latest stuff:

Lady Justice, Avatar of Balance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Exorcist:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ramos:
    Spoiler
    Show

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it's a bit of a, uh.. ಠ_ಠ Oh wow, that source lighting on ol' Ramos is gorgeous.

Bwuh.. Anyways, awesome, I'll look into Reaper's stuff. Thanks!

I'm gonna need a whoooole lotta greenstuff..

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Uh, hey guys. Bit of an odd question here... Long story short, I've been given about 8 months to make a successful business, and I want to sell custom miniatures for at least part of my line. Anyone have any good resources on how to sculpt miniatures from scratch? I'm a bit handy with greenstuff, but I'm not quite confident enough to make my own dudes. Yet.
    I think Creantur has his own business, you could ask him.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

First things I've painted in almost a year. Yes, here's a camera that works. And yes I really can paint.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to this photo, I've noticed that I haven't shaded the one-on-the-left's feet, and the highlighting on the right Dread could use some work. The one on the left hasn't been highlighted at all - yet.

This is mostly just to prove that I can paint.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #882

There are a ton of resources on miniature sculpting out there including a number of video tutorials from Miniature Mentor (Haven't seen these myself, but know of some people that loved them).

For my company, I designed the figures and commissioned talented sculptors to do the work for me.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    This is mostly just to prove that I can paint.

Now all we need are pics of the whole army!
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a painted version of the Micro Art Studio mini I bought. I really like the way it turned out. It could probably still use a few higlights.

Sorry for the low quality photo, it's the best I could do.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    There are a ton of resources on miniature sculpting out there including a number of video tutorials from Miniature Mentor (Haven't seen these myself, but know of some people that loved them).

For my company, I designed the figures and commissioned talented sculptors to do the work for me.
    Thanks! I'll look up Miniature Mentor. Might as well have a place to start*. Made some goofy cartoon-lookin' legs so far, I'll see what those end up being a part of. Hopefully not part of my cat's digestive system.

*Yeah, my google-fu's admittedly a tad weak. Didn't find anything on sculpting full models, mostly just how to use greenstuff to add on to existing ones..

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Ramos, Avatar of Invention:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, I've decided to make a tutorial out of my experiences converting a box of Triarch Praetorians into Crypteks. Anyway, here's the opening thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, in order to ensure that our models are WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get), we need to identify what are the key identifying features of a cryptek. Fortunately, you can find a 360 degree rotation of a finished cryptek on the games-workshop site here.

Examining this, I concluded there were three key features I needed to make my Cryptek look like a cryptek;
    1) Crypteks have staffs. Many will be upgraded to have a special weapon, but it's still an Abyssal Staff, Eldritch Lance, Aeonstave, or the like. This is why we use the triarch praetorians as a base; their rod of the covenant is very close to a staff of light. So close, in fact, it makes me wonder if, at one point in development, they had a staff of light that functioned like the old one (which was a power weapon in addition to it's shooting attack).
    2) Crypteks are Cyclopes. Now, the triarch praetorians box does not come with cycloptic heads. Fortunately, if your a Necron player, you probably already bought a box of Immortals, and as such, have the deathmark bits leftover.
    3) Crypteks have cloaks. This is going to involve some green stuff, but it shouldn't be to difficult.

Now, for stuff that the Finecast model has that our conversion won't.

The Beard; Good riddance, I say. That being said, this is as much for practical reasons as it is for my own tastes. The cryptek's "neck" is much more elongated than that on our models, and the giant metal beard on the cryptek model won't fit in the body of our Cryptek.
    The Hair; Like Lychguard and Overlords, the GW cryptek has a sort of metal horn or something on it's head. If you feel your cryptek needs this bit of "bling" and are feeling confident, you could try making it out of green stuff, or even transplanting the hair on the lychguard heads you got.
    The orb; The Games workshop Cryptek pictured has an orb in his right hand (although I suspect there are orbless hands in the kit as well). Ours will have no such orb for two reasons; First, adding the orb can be tricky, and I'm not sure how one would do it. But on a more basic level, 4 out of our 5 crypteks will be using their staff in two hands, which kind of precludes carrying anything else.

As I work on the model, I'll upload more.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

18. - Top - End - #888
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice. I'm planning on fielding the Sanguinor in my 40k Blood Angels army. Naturally, I hate the existing model. The 'nailed to a cross' pose is just odd and he looks terribly mundane for a semi mystical Space Ghost!

I have got the Sanguinary Guard models as a foundation and scored some great feathered Dark Eldar Scourge wings.
    However, I would really like to play up the ghost side of things. Does anyone have modelling advice for making a model like this look ghostly or spectral?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

You could do some 5 drybrush layers of blue and then a final light drybrush of white. I'm not sure how well it would work but it seems sound in theory.

20. - Top - End - #890

My local GW did the ghostly part of a Mortis engine very nice. They just sprayed it white and then washed with 1:1 green/blue wash and a extra layer of blue wash in the deep parts.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Here's a WIP Steam Tank, the Emperor's Wrath. The only thing left is the highlights.

Last edited by Turcano; 2012-01-21 at 01:26 AM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh. Diggin' the metallic red. How'd you get that? My personal technique is a gold undercoat, red ink, and many, many layers.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

That's Chainmail Silver, four or five layers of red ink, and a wash of Baal Red.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2012-01-21 at 03:49 AM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks awesome, those metalics are pro.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

Steamborg Executioner:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT:

Essence of Power:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by dsmiles; 2012-01-23 at 06:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    Does anyone have modelling advice for making a model like this look ghostly or spectral?
    I was scanning through the 'net and found an idea that might work: an empty hood instead of a head.

I've already got some great Dark Angel hooded helmets, but the last time I attempted to remove the face from the hood it ended up a mangled nightmare.

Could anyone describe a good way of removing the face from inside the hood cleanly?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

27. - Top - End - #897

Green-stuff an empty hood?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're keen on doing that, best way I'd say would be to use a dremel and just sand the helmet/face right out. But that might be... Irksome.

Pictures of a mini I'm sculpting soon, I hope!

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're keen on doing that, best way I'd say would be to use a dremel and just sand the helmet/face right out. But that might be... Irksome.

We (at least I) look forward to it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Good. I'd like to see what you came up with.

Electrical Creation:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mechanical Rider:
    Spoiler
    Show