New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Feats Inspired by "A Wizard Could Do Worse"

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    World of Reason
    Prerequisites: Must not be able to use spells, Must have UMD untrained, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks OR Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
    Benefits: If you have Religion at 8 ranks or more, you are allowed a Will Save against ANY arcane spell, even those with no save, and an additional save against those that already have one. If you have Arcana at 8 ranks or more, you are allowed a Will Save against ANY divine spell, even those with no save, and an additional save against those that already have one. IF you have both, add +2 to your Will Saves.
    This one is kinda awesome. I think I'm gonna have to put it on a character.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

It's still utterly broken.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Eh. It actually looks reasonable to me.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

See, I always had this different vision of what is called an "Evil" aligned character:

Evil is not the guy on the wrong side of the fence from the heroes, simply an antagonist, regardless of how fanatically he believes in his or their cause. Evil is selfish, malignant, greedy, and overambitious. Having trusted allies sways from being truly evil in my book, that's why I never understood those evil organizations that DON'T break apart when their plans are complete (tbh, the sole exception I can think of from the strip is Tarquin and his party members, but they're smart guys)

Plus, taking that feat in itself makes you a self-proclaimed bigot.

But enough with going off-topic.
    An evil character who takes the feat would still occasionally want to exempt "allies" if it suits their needs. This isn't because he cares about his allies, it is because he wants to win. The feat as written essentially says that you can NEVER summon demons/devils to aid you in combat.

5. - Top - End - #155

RogueGuy

The point is the Feat is basically this:

"I declare myself to be a bigot."

Both Good and Evil characters may refuse the most optimal choice available to them due to petty principles and discrimination.

Plus, a dude whose life goal is to exterminate all devils in existence IS evil. Allow me to demonstrate:

Down the Slippery Slope
    Prerequisites: Good Alignment, Neutral if you already took this once
    Bonus: You may gain the Favored Enemy ability as per the Ranger class feature, but if your Favored Enemy has Intelligence your Alignment changes to Neutral. You may take this feat twice, the second time your alignment changes to Evil.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Me and THIS Army!
    Prerequisites: Nongood alignment, BAB +10, must have died and been subject to a resurrection from a divine spell caster (any spell other than reincarnate will do. Being resurrected is not the same as having your corpse animated)
    Benefits: You were dead. DEAD! That was cool. You made friends, while you were dead. Tons of them in fact. And now they fight for you. Once per day, you may activate this feat's effect as a full round action. You must be able to speak, though it doesn't matter what you say as long as it's energetic, loud and directed at no one in particular. ("Come, my servants!" "Tonight we dine in Hell! Or...well...you guys do. I'll still be alive, as long as you all do your job right!") From the ground erupt many undead, alll ready to serve you. You gain the service of a number of skeletons and zombies. They all use your race as a base race and apply the skeleton/zombie template to them. You may choose the amount of each, but there must be at least one skeleton and at least one zombie, and you must choose a combination which does not exceed 4HD per character level you possess.

The skeletons and zombies fight for you. They are all armed with any natural weapons the template allows, plus one martial weapon of your choice. This ability lasts for 1 min/level. At the end, all the bodies disappear, leaving no trace behind (no bones, no weapons)
    Considering how weak skeletons and zombies are (especially if you've taken no racial HD), doesn't seem so impressive.
    Especially if there's an enemy wizard with Fireball prepared...

(It's also weaker than Animate Dead in that there's no monetary cost.)
    Last edited by Yitzi; 2011-06-12 at 11:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157

The point is the Feat is basically this:

"I declare myself to be a bigot."

Both Good and Evil characters may refuse the most optimal choice available to them due to petty principles and discrimination.

Plus, a dude whose life goal is to exterminate all devils in existence IS evil. Allow me to demonstrate:

Down the Slippery Slope
    Prerequisites: Good Alignment, Neutral if you already took this once
    Bonus: You may gain the Favored Enemy ability as per the Ranger class feature, but if your Favored Enemy has Intelligence your Alignment changes to Neutral. You may take this feat twice, the second time your alignment changes to Evil.
    Interesting idea. I'm not quite sure I like the idea of a feat automatically changing the character's alignment. But I suppose you could probably find a DM who would allow it.

8. - Top - End - #158

RogueGuy

I was making a point about Evil characters not having to trust EVERYBODY with their plans. That is a weak feat, not intended for actual use.

This, on the other hand...

For What it's Worth
    Prerequisites: Rage, Charge, BaB+13
    Bonus: Once per encounter, if you are Raging and your hp is 20 or lower, you can use this ability as a standard melee attack. If it hits, MULTIPLY the damage roll by your hp. If the opponent is not killed by this, die.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

I was making a point about Evil characters not having to trust EVERYBODY with their plans. That is a weak feat, not intended for actual use.

This, on the other hand...

For What it's Worth
    Prerequisites: Rage, Charge, BaB+13
    Bonus: Once per encounter, if you are Raging and your hp is 20 or lower, you can use this ability as a standard melee attack. If it hits, MULTIPLY the damage roll by your hp. If the opponent is not killed by this, die.
    "Charge" as a prerequisite?

10. - Top - End - #160

RogueGuy

I was out of ideas.

11. - Top - End - #161

Ripper's Gift [General]
    Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw.
    Effect: A number of times per day equal to your dexterity modifier, you may make a standard action as a free action, even if it's not your turn. Once you exhaust this pool of standard actions, you become fatigued until you gain at least six hours of rest.
    Normal: You can never take standard actions as anything less than immediate actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I was out of ideas.
    The only way not to be able to charge is if you can't move. Anything that can move, ever, can charge.

Also, why would Charge be required if the attack is a standard-action-one-hit-attack? Not a trip, not a charge, just an attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #163

RogueGuy

Dunno.

Meh
    Prereqs: none
    Benefits: You can't miss with melee attacks. Taking this feat prevents you from charging.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Dunno.

Meh
    Prereqs: none
    Benefits: You can't miss with melee attacks. Taking this feat prevents you from charging.
    That is actually pretty good. As long as you can stay near the enemy, you only lose out on a +2 to damage (the +2 to attack is overwritten by the "never miss"). You can make the +2 to damage irrelevant by Power Attacking for your full BAB, since you can't miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Yes
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +20, Str 19, Con 19
    Benefit: Once a day when asking the GM if performing an action is successful he must respond with "Yes."

Reality Is My *****
    Prerequisites: Str 25, 18th level
    Benefit: Once per encounter as a standard action you may attack reality to get it to do what you want. Make an attack roll against reality (Reality has an AC of 30) if successful reality cast one eighth level or lower spell against the target of your choice. Reality takes it's turn immediately after yours.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-06-12 at 06:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Yes
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +20, Str 19, Con 19
    Benefit: Once a day when asking the GM if performing an action is successful he must respond with "Yes."
    Player: I am using my "Yes" feat. Did I succeed at hitting?
    DM: Yes. Roll to see how well you succeeded.
    Player: I rolled a '1'.
    DM: You miss.
    Player: But you said "Yes.".
    DM: I lied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

It's still utterly broken.
    In much the same way the Dwarves in Warhammer Fantasy are 'broken' because they're really good at shutting down magic but don't have any of their own.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this is actually a 17th level class feature for one of my Mecha Victoriana base classes, but i thought I might throw it in here:

The Lazy Eye
    You make eye contact with another being and they sense how far they are outclassed by your killing intent. They lose themselves in a desperate attempt to figure out a means of victory.
    Prerequisites: Intimidate 20 ranks, BAB +17
    Description: Once per round, as a Swift action, you may make eye contact with a target within 60ft. Doing so allows you to roll an Intimidate check against the target, rather than to inflict fear, to deliver a taste of what you are capable of. The target may resist either with a level check or with an Intimidate check of their own, but if they lose, they may take no actions on their next turn, aside from maintaining height with Flight abilities. This is NOT a fear effect, though once a character manages to shake it off, they cannot be affected by this ability for the rest of the encounter.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

19. - Top - End - #169

RogueGuy

Lol, my race could abuse that thing really hard.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    DM: Yes. Roll to see how well you succeeded.
    Player: I rolled a '1'.
    DM: You miss.
    Player: But you said "Yes.".
    DM: I lied.
    Rather than lying, I'd rather go for something like this:

DM: Yes. Roll for damage.
    Player: 78. Did I kill it?
    DM: *looks at creature who had 14 hp left* Nope.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol, my race could abuse that thing really hard.
    Hardly, the race in your sig has the ability to add a +1 bonus to an Intimidate check "once per character level" which is either really poorly worded or you gain that bonus only once between level-ups...can"t really see how you could abuse that...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

I should add "Special: GM, don't be a prick."

Though I do feel that fighter types should have their own grand power that every GM tries to screw them up with, like Wish.

23. - Top - End - #173

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Hardly, the race in your sig has the ability to add a +1 bonus to an Intimidate check "once per character level" which is either really poorly worded or you gain that bonus only once between level-ups...can"t really see how you could abuse that...
    It's not a bonus. The Intimidate rank INCREASES by 1 per character level :D.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

I wouldn't lie either. I just couldn't resist the joke. I probably should have included some sort or smiley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a bonus. The Intimidate rank INCREASES by 1 per character level :D.
    That's not what it says dude, and besides, if it were just ranks, then fair enough, you get free ranks, there's no ability that allows them to have more than level +3 ranks.

26. - Top - End - #176

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    That's not what it says dude, and besides, if it were just ranks, then fair enough, you get free ranks, there's no ability that allows them to have more than level +3 ranks.
    It doesn't say bonus either *whatever, goes and rewrites for clarity*.

Point is, you don't have to waste skill points in Intimidate. So even a class with very poor skills per level is golden.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I should add "Special: GM, don't be a prick."

Though I do feel that fighter types should have their own grand power that every GM tries to screw them up with, like Wish.
    Just out of interest, how many DMs roughly are there that screw with things like Wish wordings? Mine is pretty nice about them. I even once mis-phrased one that would give me 2,500gp instead of 25,000gp, but he let me have a Wisdom check 'cause my character would not have been that stupid.

Of course, the money all got stolen later...
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by HalfDragonCube View Post
    Just out of interest, how many DMs roughly are there that screw with things like Wish wordings? Mine is pretty nice about them. I even once mis-phrased one that would give me 2,500gp instead of 25,000gp, but he let me have a Wisdom check 'cause my character would not have been that stupid.

Of course, the money all got stolen later...
    I don't think I've ever played with a DM who didn't enjoy playing around with wish wordings. Most tend to think of that as the most fun part of their jobs. But then again, that sort of thing is kind of what my group expects at this point, and we just roll with it if we get something we didn't expect out of a wish. I would hardly expect it to be the norm.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I don't think I've ever played with a DM who didn't enjoy playing around with wish wordings. Most tend to think of that as the most fun part of their jobs. But then again, that sort of thing is kind of what my group expects at this point, and we just roll with it if we get something we didn't expect out of a wish. I would hardly expect it to be the norm.
    What about the xp? Dumping that much is kind of annoying if all you get is some other sucky effect. (Unless you use sacrifice to get one at level three. *Whistles*)
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

30. - Top - End - #180

RogueGuy

Genius

Stupidity is OOC
    Prereqs: Wis 15, Int 15
    Benefit: Once per day, if one of your allied spellcasters uses Wish and doesn't like the result, you can make a Will save and if it works, change the result to what you want, within limits.