New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 4: 13

Just noticed, you can see the Battleship Condescension in the Mars ad . I'm really curious now what Bro's/Mom's real names are, now. I also wonder if the names the guardian-kids have now (Jane Crocker/Jake English) are the same as the names they had as guardians in the pre-scratched universe?
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-11-13 at 10:57 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

I think it's likely Jake and Jane have different surnames post-scratch. In the pre-scratch universe, Jane most likely took the name of the guy she married and had Dad with. Post-scratch, however, she would keep the Crocker name as her guardian was a man. I know not every woman takes her husband's name, but it is common, especially back when Jane/John would have gotten married.

On the other hand, Jade's surname, Harley, was something her grandpa took from his beloved childhood pet. If the pre-scratch universe follows the same pattern, then Jake's situation just keeps getting more disturbing. I'm betting either Doc Scratch or Lord English himself (or both!) live on Jake's island, serving Bec's tole as adoptive guardian.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Jake English is clearly being set up as an entity linked to Lord English. I'm not sure if it is due to us knowing Hussie's style, or if it really is that obvious, but it's all there, already.

Of course, this could be a threat that Hussie is simply going to ignore or divert later (e.g. Jake is part of paradox slime that made Lord English originally) but it is frankly alarming at how obvious it seems so early in the new act.

Oh, and the bizarre mixture of Trolls, Time-Travel, and Interplanetary Travel within the first dozen pages of Scratch-Verse is also sounding some klaxons.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there are a few things that could do with Jake and Lord English:

- Jake becomes LE for some reason, which I deem unlikely.
    - LE takes his title from Jake, but is a separate entity - which makes quite a lot of sense, to be honest. Jake is kind of responsible for pretty much everything that Jack Noir has done via Liv Tyler...so I could see English taking his title from Jake. Remember that Scratch has said that Lord English ISN'T his real name, but a title he took.
    - It's completely unconnected and Hussie is screwing with us (which I do think is quite possible).

Also. Jake is effectively a human Equius. We've got the fascination with the ranged weapons, the skill with robotics, the disinclination to swear and using euphemisims, the reaction to the idea of Jane having a dream about him fogging up his glasses and such...maybe I'm grasping at straws, but Jake REALLY reminds me of Equius. Which is good, because I liked Equius.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #605
    Banned

I've never experienced an updating Homestuck before, it feels weird.

Okay Jane has Hemera, personification of daytime. Hmmm.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

irenic, your new to the fandom then? Yeah, old mpsa is back, in the sense that updates are usually daily and mulitiple. You might want to get the mspa notifier. Just google that, you'll find it.
    /co/ is love.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Jake English is clearly being set up as an entity linked to Lord English. I'm not sure if it is due to us knowing Hussie's style, or if it really is that obvious, but it's all there, already.

Of course, this could be a threat that Hussie is simply going to ignore or divert later (e.g. Jake is part of paradox slime that made Lord English originally) but it is frankly alarming at how obvious it seems so early in the new act.

Oh, and the bizarre mixture of Trolls, Time-Travel, and Interplanetary Travel within the first dozen pages of Scratch-Verse is also sounding some klaxons.
    My guess is that he's suggesting that there are two versions of some characters in the scratched universe: the one that evolved fresh in that universe and the one that traveled out of the scratched Sburb session in one manner or another. All the crazy time and space stuff is simply serving to obscure where all these characters are so they can reappear at important times later.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Well, there are a few things that could do with Jake and Lord English:

- Jake becomes LE for some reason, which I deem unlikely.
    - LE takes his title from Jake, but is a separate entity - which makes quite a lot of sense, to be honest. Jake is kind of responsible for pretty much everything that Jack Noir has done via Liv Tyler...so I could see English taking his title from Jake. Remember that Scratch has said that Lord English ISN'T his real name, but a title he took.
    - It's completely unconnected and Hussie is screwing with us (which I do think is quite possible).

Also. Jake is effectively a human Equius. We've got the fascination with the ranged weapons, the skill with robotics, the disinclination to swear and using euphemisims, the reaction to the idea of Jane having a dream about him fogging up his glasses and such...maybe I'm grasping at straws, but Jake REALLY reminds me of Equius. Which is good, because I liked Equius.
    I think your option 2 might have it backwards. Although it's true that Jake is partially responsible for the creation of Lord English due to his work on Liv Tyler, it's much more likely that Jake's name arises from the influence of an already existing Lord English on the new universe. We're hip deep in paradox space here, so causation is...dicey, but it still seems like the influence of Lord English in arranging his own creation is great enough that it would be English influencing Jake's name and characteristics rather than the opposite.

Also, I don't think Hussie is just messing with us. He does all sorts of absurd things for laughs, but pretty much every time, they end up being really important and relevant at a serious point in the narrative. Plus, even if he did pick the name English to mess with us, he must have known that it would be impossible to prevent the fan theories from spiraling off into madness.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #608
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Hey guys, Is anybody suddenly interested in in buying some wonderfull

Betty Crocker Gushers?

Isn't Betty Crocker wonderfull?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Huh, so Betty Crocker is doing a They Live kind of thing according to this page.

I really don't think this Scratch-verse is going in the right direction

That "cease reproduction" thing. Combined with Betty Crocker being the Condesce. Are humans being replaced by trolls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Guy Fieri? Famous chef, kind of. Has a show on the Food Network, called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives". Pretty awesome. He came to my town for the BBQ

~
    smash mouth eat the gushers

Also, I don't think Hussie is just messing with us. He does all sorts of absurd things for laughs, but pretty much every time, they end up being really important and relevant at a serious point in the narrative. Plus, even if he did pick the name English to mess with us, he must have known that it would be impossible to prevent the fan theories from spiraling off into madness.
    I think there's no real guarantee that anything means anything at this point, since Hussie clearly just leaves himself about a thousand different things he could choose to become relevant later on, depending on his whims/what makes sense at the time. So at present, Jake is equally likely to be English, or not.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rebranding complete...

OH CRAP.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That "cease reproduction" thing. Combined with Betty Crocker being the Condesce. Are humans being replaced by trolls?
    Maybe their's just no point since the entire species is going to be extinct (again) soon?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    Rebranding complete...

OH CRAP.
    I'm beginning to suspect that the next dozen or so pages are going to be one constant stream of pants-crapping moments.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Thought: Visits to Mars? So we're not Earth-bound anymore?
    So Sburb won't wipe us out..? It's not like we have a vast glub to help finish us off.

I was also toying with the theory that in a scratched universe, Feferi would be Crocker, rather than the condesce. This would explain why Jane is still heiress, while John HATED the very mention.
    Doesn't quite explain why the propoganda is there. ._.

(Similarly, the pre-scratch Alternia which was nice was the one with Feferi in charge. Co-incidence? )
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-11-14 at 09:07 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

as far as we know the scrach only affects the universe itself, not the universe that created it. so unlikely that it's feferi.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616

Plus there was that whole "English recruits Condesce" subplot which would have no point if he ended up using Fef instead of her ancestor.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Spoilsports.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Thought: Visits to Mars? So we're not Earth-bound anymore?
    So Sburb won't wipe us out..? It's not like we have a vast glub to help finish us off.
    The ad says that you can "be the first to visit Mars", implying that humans are just on the cusp of getting off-planet. And then we all die, presumably, because it's November 11th.

But hell, for all we know there is a Vast Glub for humans now, or some equivalent. The Vast Glub didn't seem to exist pre-Scratch on Alternia, since there were no lusii.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

It might have been mentioned on some of those pages I skipped, but one of the recipes for the very worn hat includes the Matriorb. I'm quite sure, that this one will come up later.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    The ad says that you can "be the first to visit Mars", implying that humans are just on the cusp of getting off-planet. And then we all die, presumably, because it's November 11th.

But hell, for all we know there is a Vast Glub for humans now, or some equivalent. The Vast Glub didn't seem to exist pre-Scratch on Alternia, since there were no lusii.
    It's contradictory so far. This add (and the fact that Mars is the easiest planet to get to) implies that humans are still stuck on Earth. But Crocker corp. was described in Jane's opening panels as a MULTIGLOBAL EMPIRE. That is, it spans more than one globe, which basically requires access to other planets.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post

Were there no lusii? We know very little about pre-scratch alternia, just that it was a much nicer place to live. From the sound of things, much of Alternian culture is the result of Scratch using the Handmaiden to stir up conflict in order to better prepare the trolls for the game, but that dosn't mean there was no Lusii, or no vast glub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Were there no lusii? We know very little about pre-scratch alternia, just that it was a much nicer place to live. From the sound of things, much of Alternian culture is the result of Scratch using the Handmaiden to stir up conflict in order to better prepare the trolls for the game, but that dosn't mean there was no Lusii, or no vast glub.
    Whoops, I believe that you are right. After re-checking the page I remembered, it was Echidna that the trollcestors made a deal with - I thought that they'd made a deal with Gl'bgolyb, which gave them lusii. I blame Doc Scratch's narration, because it is easeir than blaming myself.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    It's contradictory so far. This add (and the fact that Mars is the easiest planet to get to) implies that humans are still stuck on Earth. But Crocker corp. was described in Jane's opening panels as a MULTIGLOBAL EMPIRE. That is, it spans more than one globe, which basically requires access to other planets.
    It may just mean the other planets are not inhabited with humans.

Now, what other species are out there is yet to be known. It could be the trolls again, since they had a multiglobal empire and there's the whole Condesce thing.

From what we've been told, the Condesce used to be the first to meet other civilizations and greet them, before the rest of the troll troops arrived and murdered everybody.

It might be what the rebranding heralds, now that I think about it...
    Last edited by Gez; 2011-11-14 at 12:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think we were given enough info to know if the pre-scratch trolls had lusii or not, really. All we know was that their lives were more or less cushy, and it left them totally unprepared for the game. Maybe, this easy life also included a more family-centric society that precluded the need for lusii?

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

i believe i recall Scratch mentioning Fef's lusus was a gift from him to the trolls, a sort of pet that can kill them if they don't take care of it properly.

And it's possible Humans have gone to other planets but just not mars yet, i mean look at the add, the humans have their helmets off, perhaps they spent the past few years terraforming Mars and re-heating it's core to support human life without the need for a biodome, while at the same time going off to inhabit other earth-like planets?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i believe i recall Scratch mentioning Fef's lusus was a gift from him to the trolls, a sort of pet that can kill them if they don't take care of it properly.
    Which doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the pre-Scratched trolls had lusii; they may just have not had vicious ones like Fef and Vriska's that encourage the harsher kill-or-be-killed mentality.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Which doesn't really answer the question of whether or not the pre-Scratched trolls had lusii; they may just have not had vicious ones like Fef and Vriska's that encourage the harsher kill-or-be-killed mentality.
    well it at least answers the question as to weather or not the pre-scratch trolls had a vast glub. answer; no, because their was no scratch to give it to them.

it's possible Lusii still existed but were just treated as wild animals such as gorillas and tigers and whatnot.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #628
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Or maybe they where nice and protective, and helped with homework.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do people use "lusii?" That's not correct in any capacity, ever.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Why do people use "lusii?" That's not correct in any capacity, ever.
    To annoy people like you.

Edit: Also because 'lususes', while the correct pluralization for a generic English word, is incredibly awkward.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2011-11-14 at 03:25 PM.