New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 4: 13

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    The Empress is in the employ of Lord English/Doc Scratch if you recall.
    While that is true, English didn't appear to have told her everything before. When she appeared in the pre-Scratch Earth, she attempted to seperate Nana and Harley in order to prevent them from having children who would save their world. Her personal goal was to stop the human children from winning the Game, but she didn't actually have a clue how to do that.

This time around, she is forcing humanity not just into an oppressive role, but is actively trying to murder them through subliminal messages (note the "DIE" implanted in Jane's brain). It's not a stretch to assume that her goals have not changed.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    HIS BONORABLE CHEF JUTSTICE GUY FEFERI is no wpresdiding bipches

This is pretty cool.
    That is so awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You're right, I was thinking of a "host of a great intelligence." Still, if you assume that any host of great intelligence will be omniscient (and therefore know about Lord English, via the definition of the term omniscient), I think there's a fair chance that you could make Doc Scratch or his equivalent using things besides a magic cue ball.
    Who knows? I think that chance is a little smaller since the subprogram that summons English looks like cycling pool balls, and the pool game (The Felt especially) motif going on is still relevant and strong. The cue ball did somehow end up in both sessions.

also (on an unrelated note), Fruit Gushers&&JellybabiesllTrollwriggler=????
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2011-11-17 at 10:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, guys, I gotta say something. Ms. Lalonde is funny and interesting and all... but the, uh, 15 year old alcoholic thing is a little.... you know... sketchy.

I mean, there are a lot of sketchy things in homestuck. But I just thought I'd reiterate this point!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, that's only one year under drinking age in some countries.

Most folk I know were drinking like stupid at that age. I wasn't, but that's coz I was a good boy.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Alright, guys, I gotta say something. Ms. Lalonde is funny and interesting and all... but the, uh, 15 year old alcoholic thing is a little.... you know... sketchy.

I mean, there are a lot of sketchy things in homestuck. But I just thought I'd reiterate this point!
    It'd be legal over here.
    Admittedly it is sketchy, but I'd say more because of the 'alcoholic' then the 15 year old.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    The cue ball did somehow end up in both sessions.
    Different cue balls i believe, likely every first guardian gets a cue ball to help them/the species they protect find the right path to take.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Eh, that's only one year under drinking age in some countries.

Most folk I know were drinking like stupid at that age. I wasn't, but that's coz I was a good boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    It'd be legal over here.
    Admittedly it is sketchy, but I'd say more because of the 'alcoholic' then the 15 year old.
    :O

I didn't know this! Where do you guys live, exactly?

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Well I live in England. I'm pretty sure it's only illegal for minors to drink in pubs and such, you can get utterly smashed in your own home, with parental permission.
    ...I think. I don't drink, so I dunno.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Banned

@Tectonic Robot: and? is that all? That is why Jane asked her if she was sixteen yet.

@Draconi: I didn't mean to imply it was the same cue ball, I'm just saying Droc Scratch being made with anything besides it seems unlikely since the pool motif is very strong around him and Lord English.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

:O

I didn't know this! Where do you guys live, exactly?
    I live in Australia. One can legally drink at home with parental permission, while you need to be 18 to drink in a pub and such.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I live in England. I'm pretty sure it's only illegal for minors to drink in pubs and such, you can get utterly smashed in your own home, with parental permission.
    @Tectonic Robot: and? is that all? That is why Jane asked her if she was sixteen yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I live in Australia. One can legally drink at home with parental permission, while you need to be 18 to drink in a pub and such.
    I'm used to children drinking alcoholic beverages to be frowned upon with massive force! Really, I'm totally shocked right now. I suppose I'm just ignorant of other cultures!

...It's still sketchy, guys! I don't think kids that young should be able to drink! But, uh, let's not actually talk about this here.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, historically, people drank, like, 4 litres of wine a day in France. Even the children.

So, yeah...
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #733
    Firbolg in the Playground

The idea is that if you let kids drink a little bit of alcohol, like maybe one half-glass of wine at dinner when receiving friends or family; rather than giving it the status of a forbidden pleasure restricted to people other than them, it'll hopefully not result in a bunch of binge drinkers once they are old enough to legally buy booze.

That four litre figure is a massive exaggeration, but putting a few drops of wine in water or even milk for babies was done up to the late 1950s simply for the anti-bacterial quality of alcohol.
    Last edited by Gez; 2011-11-18 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

@Draconi: I didn't mean to imply it was the same cue ball, I'm just saying Droc Scratch being made with anything besides it seems unlikely since the pool motif is very strong around him and Lord English.
    ahh, my mistake then.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That four litre figure is a massive exaggeration, but putting a few drops of wine in water or even milk for babies was done up to the late 1950s simply for the anti-bacterial quality of alcohol.
    Not an exaggeration. There are legitimate sources dating back to ye olde days indicating this.

Wine itself being added to milk or water doesn't have any antibacterial properties at all. The reason beer and wine are safer than most water is due to the high alcohol content (and in beer, because of the boiling during the mashing) which a few drops of wine wouldn't do in any way whatsoever. The historical wine amounts WERE watered down, but a few drops? Not gonna work.

So, yeah. Homestuck.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2011-11-18 at 10:20 AM.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

16. - Top - End - #736
    Banned

I'm used to children drinking alcoholic beverages to be frowned upon with massive force! Really, I'm totally shocked right now. I suppose I'm just ignorant of other cultures!

...It's still sketchy, guys! I don't think kids that young should be able to drink! But, uh, let's not actually talk about this here.
    I'm not saying kids should be able to drink, I frown upon it too, I just don't think you need to reiterate it

Hey, is anyone else looking forward to seeing Consorts dressed in the Alpha Kids' bedsheets?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanna see more Horrorterrors. The Squiddles are awesome.
    if it kills me
    if it kills me

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

I want the Wayward Vegabond to survive. And I want Spades Slick to pop into a relevant time stream with the Midnight Crew stowed into his warchest. I would literally scream with happiness if that happened.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Banned

Hey I just realized, Heroes of Space and Time would have to be a constant, because every session needs a scratch mechanism, and every scratch mechanism needs Echidna to provide the quills.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

that's been discussed, and it is indeed a constant.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Barbarian in the Playground

The question is, does this session "know" that God-tier Space and Time heroes are inbound from elsewhere? Will it therefore assign other roles to these kids?

(Will the godkids go so far as to nab copies of the alpha and insert themselves into the server chain, in which case the above will almost certainly be true?)
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    that's been discussed, and it is indeed a constant.
    I think the conclusion we came to is that it may be constant. Or, it could be that the game session always makes all of it's player's roles seem necessary, no matter what they are. Personally, the second seems more likely to me, but there's no solid proof either way yet.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    The question is, does this session "know" that God-tier Space and Time heroes are inbound from elsewhere? Will it therefore assign other roles to these kids?

(Will the godkids go so far as to nab copies of the alpha and insert themselves into the server chain, in which case the above will almost certainly be true?)
    My money is on Weird Time Stuff, as always. This is Homestuck, after all! I would honestly be surprised if time travel wasn't involved in this.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with Lalonda is that she doesn't sound like a teen. She sounds like a 30 something year old single. Reading her post you want to ask why does her mom fill their fridge with drinks she doesn't touch?

It's like her mom knows how her pre-scratched version was and tries to reconstruct it artificially.

(Weren't the pre-scratched kids a lot younger than 15?)

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    The problem with Lalonda is that she doesn't sound like a teen. She sounds like a 30 something year old single. Reading her post you want to ask why does her mom fill their fridge with drinks she doesn't touch?

It's like her mom knows how her pre-scratched version was and tries to reconstruct it artificially.

Cause Rose is mad about mind games, of course.

(Thirteen, IIRC)

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    13. May be part of the ways this universe is being prepped to handle the game better, aside from the obvious stuff Crockercorp is doing to familiarize the players with game functions before they ever start.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2011-11-18 at 03:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Actually it's legal in the United States as well, at least in some states. I know for sure that in California it's perfectly legal to drink at home with a parent's permission. My own grandparents encouraged me to start drinking wine at their house starting from around age 14 actually.

I want the Wayward Vegabond to survive. And I want Spades Slick to pop into a relevant time stream with the Midnight Crew stowed into his warchest. I would literally scream with happiness if that happened.
    Spades Slick is being nursed back to health by Hussie himself, like a baby bird that fell from its nest too young
    (scroll down about halfway). I also want Wayward Vagabond to live. His death was easily the most sympathetic one in the entire comic, since he's the closest thing that Sburb has to an innocent and we got to know him as a character.

Hey I just realized, Heroes of Space and Time would have to be a constant, because every session needs a scratch mechanism, and every scratch mechanism needs Echidna to provide the quills.
    Although heroes of space and time are implied to be a constant, I don't think it's necessarily because the quills of Echidna are the only item capable of producing a scratch. There might be other sharp items from other monsters that would work equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    My money is on Weird Time Stuff, as always. This is Homestuck, after all! I would honestly be surprised if time travel wasn't involved in this.
    We already know for sure that the pre and post scratch sessions are connected thanks to Liv Tyler. The question is what happens once the bunny gets sent out, losing our last known link to an alpha timeline.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    13. May be part of the ways this universe is being prepped to handle the game better, aside from the obvious stuff Crockercorp is doing to familiarize the players with game functions before they ever start.
    Also, Hussie is re-synching the timeline with reality.
    The Kid's were 13 years old in 2009, which means their meteors crashed in 1996. It has been April 13th 2009 ever since.
    If the positions are reversed, the post-scratch kids meteors would still have crashed in 1996, meaning they would still be 13 in 2009. But it's not April 13th 2009 anymore.
    It's November 11th 2011, and it will be for some time.

And, with the exception of John, none of the kids sounded like they were 13. Probably because Andrew Hussie has not been 13 years old for some time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    And, with the exception of John, none of the kids sounded like they were 13. Probably because Andrew Hussie has not been 13 years old for some time now.
    THAT WE KNOW OF.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Although heroes of space and time are implied to be a constant, I don't think it's necessarily because the quills of Echidna are the only item capable of producing a scratch. There might be other sharp items from other monsters that would work equally well.
    We do know other items can be used to initiate the Scratch (Bro's sword), I mean it's a point that supports the Hero of Space's importance in the session (also keeping with Homestuck's theme of duality), being the emissary for the players to deal with her denizen and get the quills, the easiest and fastest way to scratch.