New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    You are allowed to change the skill point allocations. So they could spend a skill point and learn to read.
    On that note, does it say anywhere that animals can't speak humanoid languages? If we put their skill points into Speak Language... BAM! Talking dogs.
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    You are allowed to change the skill point allocations. So they could spend a skill point and learn to read.
    That would still make the default listings dysfunctional, and require handwaving or patching circumstance modifiers in.

Note, though, that wolves etc with a high enough track modifier (+5 total or more) would just take 10 and never have trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    That would still make the default listings dysfunctional, and require handwaving or patching circumstance modifiers in.

Note, though, that wolves etc with a high enough track modifier (+5 total or more) would just take 10 and never have trouble.
    Again, wolves and dogs can come home if they take ten. Or anything else with a +4 racial scent/track/survival.

Just among the SRD,

Ape, Baboon, Badger, Bat, Bear (all), Bison, Boar... and too many do not get survival. They all get lost almost every day. Or get encounter (and/or possibly eaten by) natural hazards. I really hope animals breed like rabbits. Oh wait...
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Again, wolves and dogs can come home if they take ten. Or anything else with a +4 racial scent/track/survival.

Just among the SRD,

Ape, Baboon, Badger, Bat, Bear (all), Bison, Boar... and too many do not get survival. They all get lost almost every day. Or get encounter (and/or possibly eaten by) natural hazards. I really hope animals breed like rabbits. Oh wait...
    So do most humans who attempt to walk to market at back by that logic, you have forgotten circumstance bonuses. Walk around the same few square miles for years in a row and you become very familiar with it. Pack/Herd animals can also make liberal use of the "aid another" action.

I'd have issues navigating a city I don't live in, but my hometown I could give you a guided tour without leaving my keyboard (or resorting to Google). Clearly navigating the are I live in is not a DC 15, or if it is, I've accrued some serious bonuses.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-11-23 at 06:33 PM.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    OK — its a cross class skill — 2 skill points.
    Last edited by nedz; 2012-11-23 at 07:15 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    On that note, does it say anywhere that animals can't speak humanoid languages? If we put their skill points into Speak Language... BAM! Talking dogs.
    Speak Language doesn't give you the correct vocal apparatus to speak. It merely lets you learn it. The dog wouldn't be able to talk, and its limited Intelligence would restrict it to "simple, instinctual thoughts" as per Detect Thoughts, so it wouldn't be able to understand much. In other words, it'd make practically no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    So do most humans who attempt to walk to market at back by that logic, you have forgotten circumstance bonuses. Walk around the same few square miles for years in a row and you become very familiar with it. Pack/Herd animals can also make liberal use of the "aid another" action.
    Knowledge(local) is not a class skill for commoners either. And most PCs do not put ranks in it either (unless fishing for a regional feat from FR). This is why it is dysfunctional.
    Clearly navigating the are I live in is not a DC 15, or if it is, I've accrued some serious bonuses.
    You clearly are not a commoner, must be an expert, then.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #1208

MonkGuy

Knowledge(local) is not a class skill for commoners either. And most PCs do not put ranks in it either (unless fishing for a regional feat from FR). This is why it is dysfunctional.
    You clearly are not a commoner, must be an expert, then.
    The Knowledge (local) skill is not dysfunctional in my opinion. Only the assumed application of it.

One may make any knowledge skill check (int check really) untrained, but are forbidden from learning anything higher than a DC10.

I may not be a tour guide without ranks in K(Local) but a DC10 still covers the "common knowledge/easy) categories.

You don't need ranks in Knowledge (Local) to know about your Local.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

9. - Top - End - #1209

BlueKnightGuy

The Knowledge (local) skill is not dysfunctional in my opinion. Only the assumed application of it.

One may make any knowledge skill check (int check really) untrained, but are forbidden from learning anything higher than a DC10.

I may not be a tour guide without ranks in K(Local) but a DC10 still covers the "common knowledge/easy) categories.

You don't need ranks in Knowledge (Local) to know about your Local.
    But you do need it to identify Humanoids. And the DC to identify a 1HD humanoid is 11, too high for untrained use.

So yeah, pretty seriously dysfunctional.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture" is the description used in the SRD. The Druid abilities also repeat that animals can't speak. Apparently, they were on to you.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    "An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture" is the description used in the SRD. The Druid abilities also repeat that animals can't speak. Apparently, they were on to you.
    Darn.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Speak Language doesn't give you the correct vocal apparatus to speak. It merely lets you learn it. The dog wouldn't be able to talk, and its limited Intelligence would restrict it to "simple, instinctual thoughts" as per Detect Thoughts, so it wouldn't be able to understand much. In other words, it'd make practically no difference.
    Ah, true. I should probably stay away from the "It's not specifically excluded, so it must be possible" line of thinking anyway. That way lies madness.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #1212

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    But you do need it to identify Humanoids. And the DC to identify a 1HD humanoid is 11, too high for untrained use.

So yeah, pretty seriously dysfunctional.
    No no, 10 +HD is for learning special and useful information about them. DC 11 is to know special powers or weaknesses of Humans.

In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster
    Its not a DC 16 check to go "Holy ****, troll! Run!" Recognizing the creature is easy, knowing its weaknesses and special powers requires the harder roll.

Identification of a species and special knowledge about that species are two entirely different categories of difficulties.

13. - Top - End - #1213

BlueKnightGuy

Its not a DC 16 check to go "Holy ****, troll! Run!" Recognizing the creature is easy, knowing its weaknesses and special powers requires the harder roll.

Identification of a species and special knowledge about that species are two entirely different categories of difficulties.
    The text you quoted said it fairly plainly; the knowledge check is to a) identify the creature and b) give you one or more bits of useful information about it. So, for a Troll, it would be "That's a Troll, a Giant race renowned for it's incredible ability to regenerate wounds" or for an Elf "That's an Elf, a Humanoid race infamous for being stuck up hippies."

Obviously, the designers meant to build a functional system where you could identify monsters on sight, but by RAW identifying the monster proceeds through the same mechanism (with the same DC) as determining useful information about it.
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-11-23 at 09:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

No no, 10 +HD is for learning special and useful information about them. DC 11 is to know special powers or weaknesses of Humans.
    In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster.
    Honestly, it doesn't specify what you learn, so type is probably first.

10+ HD = madness. You know the kind of esoteric knowledge that pops up at the higher DC, such as where they live. DC 35 or so to know where your neighbor lives? Per RAW ... probably. Just don't do it.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-23 at 09:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    its elf only.

and its actually useful, for wizards/grey elves

isnt unholy toughness Undead Cha to HP?
    I think Unholy Toughness gives you double your CHA SCORE to hp.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    I think Unholy Toughness gives you double your CHA SCORE to hp.
    Nope, it's just Cha to HP instead of Con. See here for an example.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    its elf only.
    Kind of. It's a regional feat, for "Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)" - and you can qualify for a regional feat with two ranks of Knowledge(Local) for that region, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I read through the regional feat descriptor).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

when you change your type, you temporarily gain proficiencies with new armors and weapons. not really dysfunctional, just odd
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I am highly offended by lawful good clerics who worship the cause of "being nice to little kids" and get the Death and Destruction domains from it.
    I am highly offended that you are not creative enough to be able to wrangle death and destruction out of "being nice to little kids." Having had three younger siblings I can state that the one way that is guaranteed to make children happy is to break something, or have them break something. And that children will very often accidentally break things anyway.

And the death domain? Well if your cause is being nice to children, obviously you can't get angry at the misbehaving little brats. So the homicidal rage builds and you have to take it out on some sort of evildoers. Kobolds eat babies, after all. Being eaten would make a baby upset. Thus killing kobolds with Death magic is well within the purview of "being nice to little kids."
    Last edited by Von Krieger; 2012-12-01 at 07:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Kind of. It's a regional feat, for "Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)" - and you can qualify for a regional feat with two ranks of Knowledge(Local) for that region, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I read through the regional feat descriptor).
    Player's Guide to Faerûn nixed that and since it is 3.5 as opposed to 3.0 it replaces that rules (which is horrible).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

This popped up in the Necropolitan thread, "Is Necropolitan worth it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    All your HD will become d12, both past and present.
    So if you are a human level 5 that becomes undead you get 5d12hp if you gain another level you gain an additional 1d12.
    That's the common house rule, I believe, but you are confusing necropolitan with the lich and vampire templates. Compare the wording:
    Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis, p115
    Necropolitan
    Hit Dice: Increase to d12.
    (Makes no reference to future hit dice)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Lich
    Hit Dice
    Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.
    The wording is quite different, and strict adherence makes necropolitan a dysfunctional rule.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-12-01 at 02:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    I am highly offended that you are not creative enough to be able to wrangle death and destruction out of "being nice to little kids." Having had three younger siblings I can state that the one way that is guaranteed to make children happy is to break something, or have them break something. And that children will very often accidentally break things anyway.

And the death domain? Well if your cause is being nice to children, obviously you can't get angry at the misbehaving little brats. So the homicidal rage builds and you have to take it out on some sort of evildoers. Kobolds eat babies, after all. Being eaten would make a baby upset. Thus killing kobolds with Death magic is well within the purview of "being nice to little kids."
    Wow. That is horrible in an awesome way.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wow. That is horrible in an awesome way.
    Really? I think it's awesome in a horrible way.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

hesitate: Beguiler 3 spell

In the eyes of your enemy, you seem large, powerful, and indomitable.
    You fill a subject with doubts and misgivings, making it believe it is inferior to you.
    On a failed save, the subject can take no action other than a move action on its current turn.
    Hesitate confers no special bonuses for attackers attempting to hit the subject; the subject still defends itself.
    If you attack the affected creature, the spell ends immediately.
    Each round, as a swift action at the start of its turn, the
    subject can attempt a new saving throw to end the effect.
    If the save succeeds, the subject can then act normally.
    You can cast this spell even when it's not your turn; however, you must cast it at the start of your opponent's turn to gain the benefit.

So, on a failed save, the character can't make any action other than a move on its turn. As a swift action, you can get a new save. If succeeds, can act normally.
    Now, most Dm's will let you change the order of your moves, so you could make the save at the end.
    But nowhere does it say that you need to try to save. If you don't try, you can't fail, so no effect, or, if you don't try, you can't succeed, in which case, you never get another save.
    Seems a bit silly to me.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage1 View Post
    But nowhere does it say that you need to try to save. If you don't try, you can't fail, so no effect, or, if you don't try, you can't succeed, in which case, you never get another save.
    Seems a bit silly to me.
    The "Save: will negates" line at the top means you have to make a save right off the bat when the spell is first cast. Spending an action to get a save is an optional extra for after that.

So no, this one is just you misreading something. The rules for it work exactly as intended.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ettin in the Playground

On a failed save, the subject can take no action other than a move action on its current turn.
    Hesitate confers no special bonuses for attackers attempting to hit the subject; the subject still defends itself.
    If you attack the affected creature, the spell ends immediately.
    If the save succeeds, the subject can then act normally.
    You can cast this spell even when it's not your turn; however, you must cast it at the start of your opponent's turn to gain the benefit.
    So let me get this straight. At the same level that beguiler's get Slow they also get a single target mind affecting spell. If they cast this spell on the target's turn then the target can get two saves (one as a swift) that round before it acts. Then the target continues to get another save every round.

The spell is better than Slow in that it limits the target to one move action and a swift saving throw. But it's also worse in that it is mind affecting, single target,has a save every round, and doesn't penalize speed or combat ability otherwise. I don't think I'll worry about Hesitate since the PCs will just use Slow.

27. - Top - End - #1227

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    So let me get this straight. At the same level that beguiler's get Slow they also get a single target mind affecting spell. If they cast this spell on the target's turn then the target can get two saves (one as a swift) that round before it acts. Then the target continues to get another save every round.

The spell is better than Slow in that it limits the target to one move action and a swift saving throw. But it's also worse in that it is mind affecting, single target,has a save every round, and doesn't penalize speed or combat ability otherwise. I don't think I'll worry about Hesitate since the PCs will just use Slow.
    I'd still use it. Just in different circumstances. The ability to cast it when its not your trun is the key part here, ambushed? Bust out hesitate, about to get full attacked because you ended your turn next to a melee type? WHAM, exploit their weak save to stop them from attacking you.

Slow still leaves your opponent with a single attack and hesitate leaves them with no attacks, and by my reading the first round does not get two saves. In fact I'm playing a mystic thurge, I think this is on my arcane side next level up. I think it makes a decent "Oh ****!" button.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ettin in the Playground

Slow still leaves your opponent with a single attack and hesitate leaves them with no attacks, and by my reading the first round does not get two saves.
    You still can't use it in a surprise round or when you're flat footed. Read the bit about it's immediate casting again. You cast it before they act (they get a save when you cast it), then the target goes (swift action for a save), and they still get to swift save every round.

For the effect it gives you need to massively overpower the target's Will save or be absolutely in dire need of that immediate "maybe he won't slap me." Slow will work on mindless or undead targets and halves their speed, Deep Slumber will hit multiple targets with up to 10HD, I'd even consider an extended Daze Monster (one save for two rounds of daze) if I'm this hard up for action denial spells. Frankly that immediate casting is the only thing it's got going for it. Unless it already used it's immediate action previously, I just can't see a way for the target to not get two saves that first round.

29. - Top - End - #1229

ClericGuy

So, as a swift action, the subject makes a save, but the subject cannot make any action other than a move. That part seems dysfunctional to me.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    So, as a swift action, the subject makes a save, but the subject cannot make any action other than a move. That part seems dysfunctional to me.
    Sounds like a poorly-worded explicit exception to the "no actions except one move" bit.
    Jude P.