New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Sounds like a poorly-worded explicit exception to the "no actions except one move" bit.
    I think you're right, but this thread IS about rules-lawyering

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    So, as a swift action, the subject makes a save, but the subject cannot make any action other than a move. That part seems dysfunctional to me.
    Actually, it says that if you fail the save, you only get a move action for the rest of the round, and that you can attempt a save at the beginning of the round as a swift action (i.e. before doing anything else).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Actually, it says that if you fail the save, you only get a move action for the rest of the round, and that you can attempt a save at the beginning of the round as a swift action (i.e. before doing anything else).
    "So why bother to choose to save?"
    I'm pretty sure if you failed the initial save, you experience the effect unless you pass the saves on subsequent rounds.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #1234

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Pretty sure it was intended to be more like "on any subsequent turns you may attempt a save as a swift action."

The reason for that is this.

On a failed save, the subject can take no action other than a move action on its current turn.
    Remember you are casting this on its turn, it fails the save triggered by casting and is limited to a move action.

Each round, as a swift action at the start of its turn, the subject can attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. If the save succeeds, the subject can then act normally.
    I think this clause should be where the subsequent gets put it, because its ambiguous without it, but I think taken as a whole its clear they intended this to be essentially a repeating spell for its duration.

Plus after you fail the save the first time, you are limited to a move action, you don't have a swift action to try to make a save with anymore on that first turn.

Were I DM I would rule it functioned like so;

Cast spell at the start of targets turn, target makes save no effect. Or target fails save can only take a move action this turn.

On targets next turn he must decide to attempt save or not. Target makes save spends swift action otherwise acts normally. Or target fails save and can only take a move action.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ettin in the Playground

The Fiend-Blooded PrC requires you to have 8 ranks in knowledge (the planes) and be able to cast spontenous 2nd level spells amongst other things in order to enter it.

Why? Why would you have these ridiculous requirements on a class essentially tailor-made for sorcerers? It gets even worse when you take a look at the sample Fiend-Blooded they put in the book, who only has levels in sorcerer before going into Fiend-Blooded, with no feats that would give him knowledge (the planes) as a class skill, and the fact that they specifically call out sorcerers as a good entry class.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2012-12-06 at 11:21 AM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    The Fiend-Blooded PrC requires you to have 8 ranks in knowledge (the planes) and be able to cast spontenous 2nd level spells amongst other things in order to enter it.

Why? Why would you have these ridiculous requirements on a class essentially tailor-made for sorcerers? It gets even worse when you take a look at the sample Fiend-Blooded they put in the book, who only has levels in sorcerer before going into Fiend-Blooded, with no feats that would give him knowledge (the planes) as a class skill, and the fact that they specifically call out sorcerers as a good entry class.
    That does seem pretty broken.
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

What!?!?!? WotC derping on PrC entry requirements?

Stop. The. Mothersnuggling. Presses.

Seriously, though, that wouldn't be the first time they done goof'd. Good catch, though .
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

8. - Top - End - #1238

MonkGuy

Its like the guy designing the class thought it was a class skill, the 8 ranks is standard to force a 6th level entry as you'd expect from a PrC, its just not a skill you get as a Sorc.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a

The smite good ability of this half fiend is a copying error, but strict RAW is very odd and doesn't work.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #1240

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a

The smite good ability of this half fiend is a copying error, but strict RAW is very odd and doesn't work.
    This is why one should never copy and paste, and should always have an editor look over the finished product.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Colossus in the Playground

Technically, the ability does work - a Good creature with the [Evil] subtype, or vice-versa, is a valid target. You're not likely to see many of those around, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Technically, the ability does work - a Good creature with the [Evil] subtype, or vice-versa, is a valid target. You're not likely to see many of those around, though.
    "Once per day, a half-fiend of at least 3rd level may attempt to smite a good creature with one normal melee attack. This attack deals extra damage equal to her character level (maximum +20) against a good foe. If she accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect but is still used up for the day."

In other words, Smite Good works on good creatures, but only if they're evil. So technically, it does work, in the two cases you just cited, but that's not the intent, therefore it is dysfunctional.
    Jude P.

13. - Top - End - #1243

BlueKnightGuy

Maybe the word "accidentally" can help; since you're using Smite Good on a, presumably, Good creature, you'll never accidentally smite a creature which isn't Evil. It will always be intentional, thus the effect won't trigger.
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-12-09 at 05:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

furious Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Maybe the word "accidentally" can help; since you're using Smite Good on a, presumably, Good creature, you'll never accidentally smite a creature which isn't Evil. It will always be intentional, thus the effect won't trigger.
    Such ruling would help paladins "I know you're not evil and this is no accident, Smite Evil!"

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Colossus in the Playground

"Once per day, a half-fiend of at least 3rd level may attempt to smite a good creature with one normal melee attack. This attack deals extra damage equal to her character level (maximum +20) against a good foe. If she accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect but is still used up for the day."

In other words, Smite Good works on good creatures, but only if they're evil. So technically, it does work, in the two cases you just cited, but that's not the intent, therefore it is dysfunctional.
    That's...exactly what I just said, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #1246

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    That's...exactly what I just said, yes.
    Yeah, I was clarifying for myself because I had to walk through what you said to make sure I got it.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Has it been mentioned yet that the undead get healed by the Positive Energy Plane with no risk of exploding?

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Necropolitans get healed by negative AND positive energy. Introduce the Shadow Sun Ninja and we've got a nice case of 'stop hitting yourself'.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

Where does it say that Necropolitans are healed by positive energy? Even by RAW, I think they are hurt by spells like CLW, since their type changes to undead.

20. - Top - End - #1250

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Where does it say that Necropolitans are healed by positive energy? Even by RAW, I think they are hurt by spells like CLW, since their type changes to undead.
    I think the Necropolitan with the Human Heritage feat or whatever would heal from both. Not sure I have that right, though.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    They may be referencing the fact that Undead are technically healed by the positive energy plane, because it doesn't do positive energy damage, it just gives fast healing 5.
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the Necropolitan with the Human Heritage feat or whatever would heal from both. Not sure I have that right, though.
    Nerco + Human Heritage does not give you both healing options.
    With the same line of argument you can say that they get harmed by both. Therefore a Neropolitan with Human heritage would be neither healed nor damaged by both energy types.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Unnatural Resilience (Ex): Necropolitans automatically heal hit point damage and ability damage at the same rate as a living creature. The Heal skill has no effect on necropolitans; however, negative energy (such as an inflict spell) heals them.
    As the general idea of being healed by negative energy is repeated here and only the heal skill is brought as having no effect. It is NOT, as often believed, part of 'undead traits' that positive energy or heal spells will damage an undead creature. Not by RAW, at least.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    As the general idea of being healed by negative energy is repeated here and only the heal skill is brought as having no effect. It is NOT, as often believed, part of 'undead traits' that positive energy or heal spells will damage an undead creature. Not by RAW, at least.
    *double-checks*

Yup. That rule is with the cure X wounds spell, if I'm not mistaken, although its exact wording may be suspect.

Edit: It doesn't specifically say that undead are hurt by positive energy (even if it strongly implies it)

Originally posted by Cure Light Wounds
    Since undead are powered by negative
    energy, this spell deals damage to them
    instead of curing their wounds.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2012-12-09 at 10:19 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Ergo, my original point stands.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

Ergo, my original point stands.
    While I'm willing to give you the point, I'd still like to see the source of positive energy damage that doesn't have a clause specifically hurting undead like the one in cure light wounds.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

Touch of the Shadow Sun, Shadow Sun Ninja, ToB 126.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Touch of the Shadow Sun, Shadow Sun Ninja, ToB 126.
    Oh, you posted that earlier, didn't you. *facepalm*

Heh, that lets you heal yourself twice with the same ability, doesn't it?
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Or you and then someone else. Either way, I consider my point made. I don't believe the rule was INTENDED like this, but it is how it is written.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Oh, you posted that earlier, didn't you. *facepalm*

Doesn't the amount healed correspond to the amount of damage dealt? Which, in this case, would be zero?
    Currently running the Heroes of Circumstance campaign!

In Character

Out of Character

Credit for my awesome avatar goes to the amazing Ceika.