New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    huh?

other non-kobolds can still do this. kobolds just count as medium instead of small to avoid a penalty

I feel I'm misunderstanding you. what is it you're saying?
    Races of Dragon is a really silly place to have rules for mining.

The only reason we know its the slightest bit logical is that we know Kobolds get a bunch of space devoted to them in that book, and Kobolds are all good at two things. Mining and trapmaking.

Someone who was not read up on in-universe information would not think of looking there for this data.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Races of Dragon is a really silly place to have rules for mining.

The only reason we know its the slightest bit logical is that we know Kobolds get a bunch of space devoted to them in that book, and Kobolds are all good at two things. Mining and trapmaking.

Someone who was not read up on in-universe information would not think of looking there for this data.
    well, yeah, but they didn't think of it until then.

oh, I didn't say it was logical. because I don't think that at all.

ahh, that makes sense. thanks for the explanation
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

races of the dragon p 98. there's a table telling how your size and the kind of material you want to move affects your progress
    And this gives rise to yet another dysfunctional rule: a Strength 1 Wisdom 25 character will excavate far more rapidly than a Strength 25 Wisdom 1 character.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #1324

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And this gives rise to yet another dysfunctional rule: a Strength 1 Wisdom 25 character will excavate far more rapidly than a Strength 25 Wisdom 1 character.
    Optimal use of force? Knowing exactly how much force is needed to be applied to which area to bring the entire wall down? Maybe knowing how to excavate without cave-ins and needing to spend a lot of time shoring up the tunnel.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

There's only so much brainpower can do in a situation like that. To use a sports analogy: being a pro level quarter back is difficult, and requires a decent brain to judge multiple factors. But leaving put the physical side of the equation is laughable.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, TypoNinja, for explaining my position. Dwarves like to mine as well, so Races of Stone might have been logical. Underdark books, possibly. But nothing says dragon like profession (mining) checks!
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    This is kind of applicable to any profession. A dex 1 character shouldn't even be able to thread a needle, but apparently is just as good at sewing as one with dex 20 if they have the same wis score and points invested.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

masterwork tools provide a +2 bonus to any craft check... even if the check is caused by Fabricate.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alanek2002 View Post
    masterwork tools provide a +2 bonus to any craft check... even if the check is caused by Fabricate.
    Actually, I think it's to any applicable craft check. Thus, the "tool"would have to be a blueprint or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

One of my favorite dysfunctional rules: items made of Darkwood, a strong and lightweight wood, weigh 50% less. Items made of Soarwood, which is supposed to be buoyant in air, weigh 25% less. How the heck is something lighter than air heavier than Darkwood?

JaronK

11. - Top - End - #1331

I would guess they meant to say Soarwood weighs 25% of the original object. They, of course, did not succeed.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    One of my favorite dysfunctional rules: items made of Darkwood, a strong and lightweight wood, weigh 50% less. Items made of Soarwood, which is supposed to be buoyant in air, weigh 25% less. How the heck is something lighter than air heavier than Darkwood?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I would guess they meant to say Soarwood weighs 25% of the original object. They, of course, did not succeed.
    Impressive. Although honestly, even reducing weight (mass) to 25% of the original is still far too much dense to float in air. Woods tend to have densities of maybe 500-900 kg/m3, while air is sitting at 1.225 kg/m3. And while soarwood is probably considerably weaker than other woods for the volume, it can't require more than five times the material for the same effect (if that), or it wouldn't be at all practical. So mass should be at most 1% of the original. Die, foul catgirls!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Impressive. Although honestly, even reducing weight (mass) to 25% of the original is still far too much dense to float in air. Woods tend to have densities of maybe 500-900 kg/m3, while air is sitting at 1.225 kg/m3. And while soarwood is probably considerably weaker than other woods for the volume, it can't require more than five times the material for the same effect (if that), or it wouldn't be at all practical. So mass should be at most 1% of the original. Die, foul catgirls!
    IIRC in d&d the "weight" is not "mass" but "how hard it's to carry around" so even object that doesn't actually need any strength to carry (because it has so low density it floats in the air) still would have "weight" because it needs space. Or something.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    IIRC in d&d the "weight" is not "mass" but "how hard it's to carry around" so even object that doesn't actually need any strength to carry (because it has so low density it floats in the air) still would have "weight" because it needs space. Or something.
    Weight != mass != volume != motion drag. I suspect they were looking for mass, i.e. the amount of material there, but I suppose if you really majorly mess up units you could imagine it was volume. (I've never heard of anyone measuring volume in pounds, though, so that's puzzling.)

If they really were trying to abstract away all those things into a single metric of carrying difficulty, though, they should have called it something more sensible (and largely made up) like "stones"* or perhaps "lugs". And in any case, I can't figure out how that would actually solve the problem at hand: something that floats in air and has only 1% of the mass is just not going to be very difficult to carry by any measurement, unless it's too voluminous to use.

*I am aware that a stone is a real unit of measurement, but no one in most parts of the world is likely to know how much it is or even exactly what it is, so it works well enough.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

The descriptive text for soarwood says it has a "magical buoyancy" not that it's buoyant in air. If it were buoyant in air, you wouldn't even need an elemental to build an airship. Just a sail and some sort of ballasts.

The fact that it weighs 75% of what "normal wood" weighs while darkwood only weighs 1/2 isn't a contradiction at all. There's no dysfunction here.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The descriptive text for soarwood says it has a "magical buoyancy" not that it's buoyant in air. If it were buoyant in air, you wouldn't even need an elemental to build an airship. Just a sail and some sort of ballasts.
    Why is the idea that an airship can somehow benefit from sails so common? They can't, any more than a balloon can, or any more than a ship can stick special wooden sails into the sea in order to propel itself with the current in whichever direction it wishes, or any more than a car can have a generator hooked up to a special set of wheels to create the power to propel itself. An airship without a motor of some sort drifts at up to the same speed and direction as the air around it, because there is nothing for sails to use as leverage. Therefore, like an unpowered balloon, the only way to steer an unpowered or sailing airship is by changing altitude to catch different wind directions.

As far as I'm aware, the primary reason for the elementals bound on Eberron airships is to propel (and, to some extent, change altitude more conveniently without ballast), not to lift. In fact, if I'm not seriously mistaken, alchemical soarwood will keep an airship aloft even in a dead magic zone, though obviously it's unlikely to have any propulsion.

Edit: Note that you could, of course, make an airship that used gliding (i.e. the leverage of gravity) to propel itself. However, because it would have such a large volume in most cases, the wind would still have a large influence, and it would be difficult to get much force from something that has a great deal of drag and very little effective weight, not to mention the challenge of substantially increasing lift (to gain height) and then decreasing it (to move in the desired direction).
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-12-20 at 09:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Why is the idea that an airship can somehow benefit from sails so common? They can't, any more than a balloon can, or any more than a ship can stick special wooden sails into the sea in order to propel itself with the current in whichever direction it wishes, or any more than a car can have a generator hooked up to a special set of wheels to create the power to propel itself. An airship without a motor of some sort drifts at up to the same speed and direction as the air around it, because there is nothing for sails to use as leverage. Therefore, like an unpowered balloon, the only way to steer an unpowered or sailing airship is by changing altitude to catch different wind directions.

As far as I'm aware, the primary reason for the elementals bound on Eberron airships is to propel (and, to some extent, change altitude more conveniently without ballast), not to lift. In fact, if I'm not seriously mistaken, alchemical soarwood will keep an airship aloft even in a dead magic zone, though obviously it's unlikely to have any propulsion.

Edit: Note that you could, of course, make an airship that used gliding (i.e. the leverage of gravity) to propel itself. However, because it would have such a large volume in most cases, the wind would still have a large influence, and it would be difficult to get much force from something that has a great deal of drag and very little effective weight, not to mention the challenge of substantially increasing lift (to gain height) and then decreasing it (to move in the desired direction).
    I believe you are mistaken, Tuggyne. I don't remember ever reading anything about airships staying aloft in dead-magic zones. Moreover, I'm almost certain I -do- remember reading that if the elemental is freed (typically by destroying the binding struts) that the airship immediatley begins to plummet earthward.

You do have a point about the sail thing but oars would work. That is, after all, what wings are, in essence.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

You do have a point about the sail thing but oars would work. That is, after all, what wings are, in essence.
    No, that is what Propellers and Jet engines are equivalent to.

you are also right that Airships in Eberron drop out of the sky without their magic
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-12-20 at 11:25 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

I believe you are mistaken, Tuggyne. I don't remember ever reading anything about airships staying aloft in dead-magic zones. Moreover, I'm almost certain I -do- remember reading that if the elemental is freed (typically by destroying the binding struts) that the airship immediatley begins to plummet earthward.
    Well, I've read somewhere that they do stay aloft, though it was not in an actual Eberron sourcebook, so it could well be mistaken. I'd love to know for sure with quotes. (I am also curious, in that case, as to why soarwood is even used at all. Surely they have darkwood, which would be either more useful, by strict dysfunctional RAW, or nearly as useful, by apparent intention.)

Well, assuming you can get enough thrust out of them, yes. However, air is much less dense than water, so it's harder to get measurable amounts of thrust (and it requires a more precise and complicated stroke, I believe, and entails substantial drag on the return compared to water oars). So yeah, an airship that uses complex oar-ish systems and a variable ballast could plausibly work, but would require a good bit of aerodynamic knowledge. (Without lighter-than-air gasses, I'm not actually sure how you'd effectively make a ballast system that can compensate for extra lift. Let pieces of soarwood float off into the sky? Seems wasteful.)

Did I mention I'm in a catgirl-murdering mood lately?

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I've read somewhere that they do stay aloft, though it was not in an actual Eberron sourcebook, so it could well be mistaken. I'd love to know for sure with quotes. (I am also curious, in that case, as to why soarwood is even used at all. Surely they have darkwood, which would be either more useful, by strict dysfunctional RAW, or nearly as useful, by apparent intention.)

Well, assuming you can get enough thrust out of them, yes. However, air is much less dense than water, so it's harder to get measurable amounts of thrust (and it requires a more precise and complicated stroke, I believe, and entails substantial drag on the return compared to water oars). So yeah, an airship that uses complex oar-ish systems and a variable ballast could plausibly work, but would require a good bit of aerodynamic knowledge. (Without lighter-than-air gasses, I'm not actually sure how you'd effectively make a ballast system that can compensate for extra lift. Let pieces of soarwood float off into the sky? Seems wasteful.)

I think darkwood only comes from Zendrik in Eberron, of the planes that wont most likely use PCs are dish towels, which makes it practically impossible to log.

And no, the Elemental Rings are needed to keep airships aloft. Only one airship would outright crash if the soul-gems were shattered, and that is a Yacht smaller then the DDO guild airships, made mostly of metal.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Even if it's not supposed to be lighter than air anyway, why do ships made of Soarwood travel twice as fast (due to the fact that they "skim effortlessly over the surface of the water") and yet Darkwood ships don't? Kinda weird.

Also note that page 216 of the Eberron Campaign setting says "Aerenal is best known for its mystical lumber. Due to the magical resonance of the land, densewood, livewood, soarwood, and bronzewood trees only grow on the island continent; darkwood also flourishes in the jungles, though these trees can be found in other lands." So Darkwood is actually easier to get than Soarwood, as it's found in more places (also the elves don't like to harvest too much).

So yeah, something's wrong here. Darkwood should be lighter weight and easier to get than Soarwood, but Soarwood ships evidently skim the surface of the water (one assumes they're laden down with people and cargo, heavily implying the Soarwood must be lighter than air). It's just borked.

I suppose one possibility is that the magical buoyancy has to be awakened with a spell or something, so regular items made of it aren't buoyant?

JaronK

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    I suppose one possibility is that the magical buoyancy has to be awakened with a spell or something, so regular items made of it aren't buoyant?
    I've heard references to "alchemical soarwood", so I assumed it was an Ex effect that required some alchemy to fully awaken. (Whether this is actually the case I'm not sure.) Still, raw soarwood shouldn't be heavier than darkwood, and should probably be considerably lighter than balsa. (Assuming average wood at ~750 kg/m3 average, and balsa at ~170 kg/m3, that would suggest 20% at max, and probably more like 5% or 10%.)

Also, your much-appreciated quote about the prevalence of darkwood strengthens my desire for quotes on whether soarwood works in AMFs or not.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Banned

As long as this thread is, I suspect this has been mentioned, but in case it hasn't. Caltrops. They ignore all armor, shield and deflection bonuses to the character's AC, but a character who is wearing shoes gets a +2 armor bonus. Which, per the text, is ignored, even though it exists nowhere else.

Here's another one, from the Vision and Light section, assuming I'm reading the last paragraph right. You are in the area of shadowy illumination around an army's light source. The army consists of 500,000 human soldiers and 1 dwarf. Because you are within the darkvision range of the dwarf, you cannot make a Hide check to gain concealment relative to the 500,000 humans.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-12-22 at 03:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    As long as this thread is, I suspect this has been mentioned, but in case it hasn't. Caltrops. They ignore all armor, shield and deflection bonuses to the character's AC, but a character who is wearing shoes gets a +2 armor bonus. Which, per the text, is ignored, even though it exists nowhere else.
    I don't think it has, partly because the common sense meaning is so obvious (i.e., it's an armor bonus that isn't ignored like the others) that it doesn't really seem to matter.

Here's another one, from the Vision and Light section, assuming I'm reading the last paragraph right. You are in the area of shadowy illumination around an army's light source. The army consists of 500,000 human soldiers and 1 dwarf. Because you are within the darkvision range of the dwarf, you cannot make a Hide check to gain concealment relative to the 500,000 humans.
    You have concealment relative to the 500,000 humans already. However, your basic point (that the last phrase is overly general) is correct: it should say that you can't use shadows to make a Hide check from a character with darkvision when inside their range. Or, better yet, just note that they effectively don't see any shadows within that range, which denies you concealment, which denies the Hide check. (Similarly, the range of shadowy illumination is doubled for low-light vision, which eliminates certain areas of concealment relative to those with low-light vision.)

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Banned

You have concealment relative to the 500,000 humans already.
    Yeah I said that wrong. I meant "concealment" in the general English Language sense; it'd be total concealment (at least) in game terms if you made a successful Hide check - you'd be invisible in the darkness, not just dimly lit. But yeah, all those rules are wonky because the rules about whether you can hide are based on the assumption that "can I be seen" is binary, while the actual rules for determining whether you can be seen are (and should be, obviously) character-specific.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

races of stone's dwarf sub lvls for clerics will let you swap a 4th lvl spell slot for MWP with a warhammer (if you worship moradin)

problem is, clerics are already proficient with their god's favored weapon. what's moradin's?

warhammer.

there's a reason you've never heard of someone taking dwarf cleric sub lvls.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

27. - Top - End - #1347

MonkGuy

races of stone's dwarf sub lvls for clerics will let you swap a 4th lvl spell slot for MWP with a warhammer (if you worship moradin)

problem is, clerics are already proficient with their god's favored weapon. what's moradin's?

warhammer.

there's a reason you've never heard of someone taking dwarf cleric sub lvls.
    Only if you've taken the war domain, so no not dysfunctional.

On the other hand I do think a MWP for a 4th level spell slot is a rotten deal.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-12-24 at 03:46 AM.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Banned

Seriously. You don't even have 4ths until level 7, by which time you don't really need a warhammer, you've got more than enough 2nd-level and up slots to prepare as many Spiritual Weapons as you could possibly need (or at least very close). Add this to the list of rules that change in my campaign, I guess.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

It's not just MWP, but the equivalent of Weapon Specialisation as well and it replaces a 2nd level spell slot (the Racial Sub Level is for Cleric Level 4). Not so bad a deal, really, I think.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    It's not just MWP, but the equivalent of Weapon Specialisation as well and it replaces a 2nd level spell slot (the Racial Sub Level is for Cleric Level 4). Not so bad a deal, really, I think.
    Okay, yeah, that's much better. Still probably not a great trade, but not an insane one. Does it include a Weapon Focus or just Specialization? Either way, dwarves favor fighter, so sticking real Weapon Spec on it is an option, and they should stack (whether this is worth 8 levels I dunno, but you'll have BAB 7 so that's at least two chances per round to apply the bonus, double that if you eat the penalties for wielding two warhammers...hm, perhaps use a Small one so it counts as Light and reduces the penalty, except I think that adds a bigger penalty, but maybe there's a workaround? I could see a "two-hammers style" as the dwarven equivalent to rapier and main-gauche or katana and wakizashi....).
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-12-24 at 10:18 AM.