New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Unless it specifically says so, and IIRC the rules that this cover:

An Ur-Priest does not have sufficient caster level to cast his 9th level spells without Practiced spellcaster
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Unless it specifically says so, and IIRC the rules that this cover:

An Ur-Priest does not have sufficient caster level to cast his 9th level spells without Practiced spellcaster
    Doesn't he? I am not familiar with any rule that requires the caster to have a CL of (spell level * 2 - 1) to cast spells. Please cite this rule for us so that we may rejoice in this hilarious dysfunction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Doesn't he? I am not familiar with any rule that requires the caster to have a CL of (spell level * 2 - 1) to cast spells. Please cite this rule for us so that we may rejoice in this hilarious dysfunction.
    Thats my problem, im trying to think what book it is in. I know that a few months ago i saw that specific rule used against the Domain Wizard with Versatile Spellcaster combo.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats my problem, im trying to think what book it is in. I know that a few months ago i saw that specific rule used against the Domain Wizard with Versatile Spellcaster combo.
    I would check the Rules Compendium (it's worth a shot) and the PHB.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I would check the Rules Compendium (it's worth a shot) and the PHB.
    actually i found it, and it depends on the Primary instance of the rules you use:

Without the Rules compendium, the minimum Caster level required to prepare and cast a spell as an ur-Priest is equivalent to that of a Cleric for the same level, because they do not declare that they use the Ur-Priest casting progression.

With Rules compendium, the Ur-priest can be completely independant of levels of other spellcasting classes, because it specifies in slightly more complex wording then im using, that the minimum required to prepare a spell slot is the minimum caster level that the class will have at the lowest level they gain a spell slot of that level.

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

The Grasping Hook from Dungeonscape is a magical mithral grappling hook that animates on command for a +6 bonus to your Use Rope check. It costs 500 gp.

A mundane mithral grappling hook, from the same book, costs 1000 gp.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    The Grasping Hook from Dungeonscape is a magical mithral grappling hook that animates on command for a +6 bonus to your Use Rope check. It costs 500 gp.

A mundane mithral grappling hook, from the same book, costs 1000 gp.
    So at level 17, your wizard can make 2000g a day by casting Dysjunction on the grappling hook.

Drow avatar @ myself

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ettin in the Playground

So at level 17, your wizard can make 2000g a day by casting Dysjunction on the grappling hook.
    Bahaha. Best mundane use of phenomenal cosmic power ever. Technically you could disjunct a big pile all at once, but that's still pretty mediocre, heh.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know, now that you mention it I could swear I've seen that rule before... but maybe it was in reference to magic items, I'm not sure. Or possibly mental confusion with the "voluntarily casting at a lower caster level" rule.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

LoE is established only through an opening 1 foot or larger. A swallowed bead only affects one person.
    If it needs an opening one foot or larger, just cut them off at both ankles. There, two one-foot openings.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if this has been mentioned before.

If you want to use natural healing, it's better to rest in 3 eight hour periods than for 24 hours.

The former heals you for triple your character level, while the latter only double.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Everything involving nonlethal damage.

My specific favourite is the way that nonlethal interacts with lethal damage.

Say we have A. Fighter (Short for Alfred) with 40 HP. He gets mobbed by peasants using unarmed attacks, and he takes 21 nonlethal damage before he manages to get away (he is too polite to kill them) Now he'll collapse unconscious if he gets reduced to 20 or fewer HP.

He then fights a crocodile. Now, if you get by the "Only the last few points of HP actually represent being hit" at some point during this fight the crocodile will try to bite him, and he will dodge, and having dodged, fall asleep.

If you do NOT go by that interpretation, then the croc will bite him on the leg a few times and then he'll fall asleep.

Fun Fact: In Eberron, it was a well known fact that warforged work for whoever possesses them. As such, many warforged will nonlethal themselves up before a fight to ensure they get knocked unconscious rather than destroyed, since only an idiot would pass up the chance for a free soldier. This is less true now that the Great War is over and they have personhood status, but still an amusing meta-example.
    ---

Related: The "Only the last hit hits" interpretation of HP doesn't make sense when you consider damage from being on fire, immersed in acid, dropped off cliffs, and other things that are very clearly "hitting" the character.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-01-13 at 11:39 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

It's an abstraction. Having said that, I don't think anyone's ever said "only the last hp actually hits," so much as "only the last hp actually hits in a way that matters."

Fire. The character was on fire and this impaired his ability to keep fighting (lowered his hp), but the fire didn't deal any meaningful damage to him (no 3rd-degree burns or such), because it was just his clothes or something that were on fire before the fire was put out.

Acid. The acid was painful but didn't actually start to melt through the skin.

Falling. The character got back up, hurt, but undeterred.
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2013-01-13 at 11:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Everything involving nonlethal damage.

My specific favourite is the way that nonlethal interacts with lethal damage.

Say we have A. Fighter (Short for Alfred) with 40 HP. He gets mobbed by peasants using unarmed attacks, and he takes 21 nonlethal damage before he manages to get away (he is too polite to kill them) Now he'll collapse unconscious if he gets reduced to 20 or fewer HP.

He then fights a crocodile. Now, if you get by the "Only the last few points of HP actually represent being hit" at some point during this fight the crocodile will try to bite him, and he will dodge, and having dodged, fall asleep.

If you do NOT go by that interpretation, then the croc will bite him on the leg a few times and then he'll fall asleep.
    Unconsciousness and sleep are quite different.

Fun Fact: In Eberron, it was a well known fact that warforged work for whoever possesses them. As such, many warforged will nonlethal themselves up before a fight to ensure they get knocked unconscious rather than destroyed, since only an idiot would pass up the chance for a free soldier. This is less true now that the Great War is over and they have personhood status, but still an amusing meta-example.
    ---

Related: The "Only the last hit hits" interpretation of HP doesn't make sense when you consider damage from being on fire, immersed in acid, dropped off cliffs, and other things that are very clearly "hitting" the character.
    HP is an abstraction. There's no way to fluff it to make it actually work.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    HP is an abstraction. There's no way to fluff it to make it actually work.
    Actually, I think it's "there's no consistent way to fluff it to make it work".

If you fluff it on a per-attack basis instead of generalizing, it can work. You just can't generalize multiple sources of damage to multiple possible targets with various added affects with one or two rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1426

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Actually, I think it's "there's no consistent way to fluff it to make it work".

If you fluff it on a per-attack basis instead of generalizing, it can work. You just can't generalize multiple sources of damage to multiple possible targets with various added affects with one or two rules.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. You can't fluff it to make it work perfectly in every situation with only one explanation for what it means.
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Bugbear in the Playground

it's an abstraction. it doesn't mean a one thing which applies in all cases where hit point damage occurs: it abstracts those details out. this produces admittedly silly results in some cases. that's not necessarily a dysfunction in the rules so much as a fluff error.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could do it at level 1 with Nystul's Magic Aura... provided you have a way to escape the wrath of all the angry shopkeepers who will inevitably come after you seeking vengeance when they realise that the grappling hooks you sold them have useful magical properties (you cad!).
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's play Planar Binding for fun and profit!

Of course I want a magic circle spell, let's do against evil for the sake of the example:

This spell has an alternative version that you may choose when casting it. A magic circle against evil can be focused inward rather than outward. When focused inward, the spell binds a nongood called creature (such as those called by the lesser planar binding, planar binding, and greater planar binding spells) for a maximum of 24 hours per caster level, provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle.
    Done, good job all around. Time to call my baddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Planar Binding, Lesser
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Umm, err, how do I do this again?
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #1430

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Let's play Planar Binding for fun and profit!

Of course I want a magic circle spell, let's do against evil for the sake of the example:

Done, good job all around. Time to call my baddie!

Umm, err, how do I do this again?
    "Within one round"...with no order specified. Cast Magic Circle Against Evil the round after binding the whatever.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

So it breaks free without any checks at all and immediately attacks you? Awesome.

The fact is, planar binding requires a trap:

Casting this spell attempts a dangerous act: to lure a creature from another plane to a specifically prepared trap, which must lie within the spell’s range. The called creature is held in the trap until it agrees to perform one service in return for its freedom.

To create the trap, you must use a magic circle spell, focused inward. The kind of creature to be bound must be known and stated. If you wish to call a specific individual, you must use that individual’s proper name in casting the spell.
    Except the trap can't exist by RAW. I guess this solves the wish-loop problem (other than gate, that is)

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

22. - Top - End - #1432

So it breaks free without any checks at all and immediately attacks you? Awesome.

The fact is, planar binding requires a trap:

Except the trap can't exist by RAW. I guess this solves the wish-loop problem (other than gate, that is)
    Hmm. Well, maybe it takes teamwork? Have another guy ready to cast Magic Circle when you finish casting Planar Binding.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, maybe it takes teamwork? Have another guy ready to cast Magic Circle when you finish casting Planar Binding.
    Or a simple contingency spell. It's only one level higher and getting a scroll should be no problem.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Quicken Magic Circle (it's only 3rd level — and a standard action) followed by the Planar Binding.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #1435

Still a fail, contingency looks to be the way to go, that or using up a candle of invocation.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Quicken Magic Circle (it's only 3rd level — and a standard action) followed by the Planar Binding.
    Planar Binding seems to be the problem, though I suppose what really makes the difference is whether you consider the end of the casting time to be the only time the spell is considered "cast".
    The SRD says a spell that takes 1 minute to cast "comes into effect" 1 minute later, and you spend each of the intervening rounds spending a full-round action on casting the spell.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Or a simple contingency spell. It's only one level higher and getting a scroll should be no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Still a fail, contingency looks to be the way to go, that or using up a candle of invocation.
    That is quite the stealth nerf/whatever on planar binding, if contingency is the only way to go. I guess conjurers can no longer ban evocation, then?

28. - Top - End - #1438

That is quite the stealth nerf/whatever on planar binding, if contingency is the only way to go. I guess conjurers can no longer ban evocation, then?
    Shadow Evocation says hello. Better hope that a fractionally real Contingency is good enough!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow Evocation says hello. Better hope that a fractionally real Contingency is good enough!
    So now we're waiting until level 15 to planar bind? Sign me up!

30. - Top - End - #1440

So now we're waiting until level 15 to planar bind? Sign me up!
    11th, because craft contingent spell is, unfortunately, a thing.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective