New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIV: "Pray for 6's!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    I, for instance, chose not to buy Melta Bombs for any of my units, and decided to try out Abhor The Witch, Destroy The Witch as my vow, since none of the other players use Psykers.
    Against Tyranids it's ri-G* Damn-diculous at how good it is. The absolutely insane part about AtW, DtW, is that it specifically includes 'Area of Effect' Powers and that's like...Amazing, since similar abilities (Aegis, Tomb Spyders) don't do that. But, yeah, in your meta-game where psykers aren't the norm (wtf ), and with Han Salio, ignoring the odds is probably better.

Crusader Squad 18, 245pts
    -9 Initiates (Pistol & CCW), Powerfist, Flamer
    -8 Neophites (Shotguns)

Crusader Squad 18, 245pts
    -8 Neophites (Shotguns)

Crusader Squad 18, 235pts
    -7 Neophites (Shotguns)
    9 + 8 = 17
    9 + 7 = 16

I don't understand the significance of '18' - unless you're really bad at maths.

my Emperor's Champion (Captain Han Salio)
    I remember naming that guy!

The Tyrant loses two wounds to missiles, and two Zoanthropes get Instant Death'd.
    That's some very nice shooting. Even moreso because of the two failed Invulnerables on the Zoanthropes.

ION;
    It's Christmas Time! Which means in the next week or so I'm about to get a Christmas bonus (in addition to my usual pay) as well as the extra money I'm probably going to get from family. My next armies will be either Black Templars or Dark Angels.

Black Templars are all but confirmed as the next Codex, and with Phil Kelly writing it (also confirmed), I can continue my anti-Ward crusade (pun unintended) along with Space Wolves and Dark Eldar.

Dark Angels...Well, I've already got the Bike half, so the only thing left to do is the Terminator half which I've always wanted to do, unfortunately, Deathwing is one of the stronger builds in the current meta-game and there's already at least two Deathwing armies that I know of in my meta. Not including another two Draigowing armies that also exist.

So, yeah. What do people like better?

Black Templars
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emperor's Champion - 110 Points
    Abhor the Witch

Crusader Squad - 218 Points
    x8 Initiates; Multi-Melta, Meltagun
    x7 Neophytes

Crusader Squad - 202 Points
    x7 Initiates; Multi-Melta, Meltagun
    x7 Neophytes

Crusader Squad - 202 Points
    x7 Initiates; Multi-Melta, Meltagun
    x7 Neophytes

Land Speeder Typhoon - 70 Points
    Land Speeder Typhoon - 70 Points

Predator Destructor - 128 Points
    Lascannon Sponsons, Smoke Launchers

Predator Destructor - 125 Points
    Lascannon Sponsons

Predator Destructor - 125 Points
    Lascannon Sponsons

1250 Points

With Abhor the Witch, as well as Zeal, getting into Melta range should never be a problem. Although I am aware of the severe lack of Power Weapons/Fists in the list, it's just that 15 points for one attack doesn't really appeal to me. I'm also considering dropping a couple of Neophytes, but that's the main strength of Foot Templars.

Dark Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belial - 135 Points
    Lightning Claws

Deathwing - 265 Points
    Apothecary, Cyclone Missile Launcher

Deathwing - 235 Points
    Cyclone Missile Launcher

Deathwing - 235 Points
    Cyclone Missile Launcher

Ravenwing (x3) - 190 Points
    x2 Meltaguns
    + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta

Ravenwing (x3) - 190 Points
    x2 Meltaguns
    + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta

1250 Points

The Ravenwing are there because Scouting Teleport Homers are required.

Again, it's nothing I really haven't tried before, and I play against it often enough. But I really, really want to do a Terminator army, since Bricks appeal to me. My other choice is a Tyranid Warrior army, but they're bad and don't work anymore because the FAQ is retarded.

The other issue is that getting access to Cyclone Missile Launchers while buying Assault Terminators is a PitA. Maybe I'll convert some from the butt-tonne of Typhoon sprues I have from buying so many Dark Angel Battleforces.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The absolutely insane part about AtW, DtW, is that it specifically includes 'Area of Effect' Powers and that's like...Amazing, since similar abilities (Aegis, Tomb Spyders) don't do that.
    I honestly wasn't too sure what "Or includes them in it's AoE" meant. Would it mean that, if a Tervigon wanted to cast Catalyst on itself and I was within the 12" range (or whatever it is), then I could nullify it with the 5+ roll? That seems almost unfair...by which I mean, hilarious. Too bad it wouldn't work on Hammerhand or a Force Weapon (since the latter targets the weapon rather than the enemy, I believe).

9 + 8 = 17
    9 + 7 = 16

I don't understand the significance of '18' - unless you're really bad at maths.
    No idea where you're pulling this 18 thing. My list CLEARLY states 17 and 16 on it.

...Actually, the 18 was a hold-over from an earlier iteration of the list, where I was trying to balance points by removing Neophites.

That's some very nice shooting. Even moreso because of the two failed Invulnerables on the Zoanthropes.
    My Cyclones were pretty incredible the whole game. It was sort of like playing with my Vanilla Devastators again, but Relentless and roughly indestructable.

Black Templars are all but confirmed as the next Codex, and with Phil Kelly writing it (also confirmed), I can continue my anti-Ward crusade (pun unintended) along with Space Wolves and Dark Eldar.
    Now I'll be able to say I was playing Black Templars before they were the new flavor, but still get all the satisfaction of wielding a shiny new codex like the terrible cudgel that it is. As long as Mr. Kelly continues his high standards of codex-building, I will be most pleased.

That's an interesting list for Templars--way more vehicles than I had (seeing as I only used one, this isn't hard) at 500 points higher, but still looking quite solid and dangerous. I feel like you'd be better off with Powerswords and Flamers on the Crusader Squads, seeing how you already have so much anti-vehicle capability in your Landspeeders and Predators. The odds are pretty good that you could damage about 4 vehicles per turn already, but you don't really have any way to soften up huge mobs of enemies, and 3 Power attacks on the charge isn't bad at all. And conveniently, if you dropped the Smokes on the Predator, you'd have just enough points to make the swap to flamers and powerswords.....so I think I'm going to write this list down for my own test-playing some time this week.

As for the Dark Angels, just don't forget that the Attack Bikes are forced to be single-model units, and don't get to pal around with the regular bikers like they do in Vanilla Marines. And you can't Turbo-Scout, but it would be kind of unfair if you could anyways. By your mention of Assault Terminators, I assume you'll be equiping most (if not all) of your Terminators with TH/SS? When I gathered together my Terminators to use as heavy weapon platforms for my own BT's, I just sticky-tacked Hunter-Killer Missiles to their shoulder pauldrons to designate which ones had the Cyclones. They looked kind of lame though. However, on my To Do List is to convert my spare Whirlwind Missile Launcher pieces into functional Cyclones and mount them on my Terminators. I figure each rack can count as the whole thing despite official ones having two racks, so as many as four Cyclones could be made from one Whirlwind kit.

...It's sad that that seems to be the only really good use for the Whirlwind, aside from maybe converting it into an Exorcist.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2011-12-19 at 04:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I don't know exactly how much I'm going to spend, but I know it isn't going to be a ton. Here are things I've been thinking about;
    Necron Overlord
    Cryptek (s)
    1-2 boxes of Immortals
    A C'tan

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as priority there?
    Of those? I'd say, Crypteks seem like the most immediately necessary addition.

However, buying Crypteks one by one would be rather expensive. Since the distinctive feature of Crypteks is them having just this single eye-lens face, rather than a regular Necron face, and since Eliminators have those exact same single eye faces, and since Eliminators come in Immortal boxes, what I'd suggest would be getting a box of Immortals, but rather than building them into Immortals, instead using the Eliminator heads and parts of the Immortal bodies as deemed useful, add some parts from those Warriors you already have, maybe green-stuff some cloaks for them, and voilą! you have a whole bunch of Crypteks, cheap.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2011-12-19 at 05:35 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I honestly wasn't too sure what "Or includes them in it's AoE" meant. Would it mean that
    It means that if your units would be affected by the power (i.e; Null Zone, Blood Lance, Jaws, etc.), then you can roll to nullify. Wheras Aegis and Tomb Spyders specifically need to be targeted with a Power, and thus Null Zone can't be nullified by a Spyder or by Aegis.

so I think I'm going to write this list down for my own test-playing some time this week.
    Let me know how it goes. I plan to start bulk-buying on Boxing Day.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman
    I honestly wasn't too sure what "Or includes them in it's AoE" meant. Would it mean that, if a Tervigon wanted to cast Catalyst on itself and I was within the 12" range...
    It means that if your units would be affected by the power (i.e; Null Zone, Blood Lance, Jaws, etc.), then you can roll to nullify. Wheras Aegis and Tomb Spyders specifically need to be targeted with a Power, and thus Null Zone can't be nullified by a Spyder or by Aegis.
    So Catalyst, specifically, will not be countered because it is not effecting the Black Templars. It's one of those weird not-quite-explained-properly things where, although it's range is stated as a radius, it only effects the specific units within that space and not the space as a whole.

Which a Black Templar player might call 'a shame', but only if you want people to refuse to play against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    Black Templars vs. Dark Angels
    I don't play with them very much ($400 well spent, 2 years ago! ) but I have just enough experience with either to say that, if you want to play a Terminator-based list, play Grey Knights and use the Grand Masters to make them Scoring.
    It's not just a matter of the Codex' raw 'power', but they have so much more going for them that they're far more enjoyable to play, as well as allowing for far more variation down the line. You'll probably win just as many games (if not, more) but have more fun doing it.

I know they're not quite the same thing as Deathwing, but in terms of investing in an army that you'll enjoy playing more often, Deathwing are pretty much one-trick ponies that - and I apologise if I'm making an unwarrented assumption - are easy to get bored of. I think it'd be worth the sacrifice.

Having said that, I'm kinda biased in favour of Black Templars anyway as they've now become my primary army at 2000pts (sucks to be you, Farseer Blow-Your-Own-Head-Off-In-The-Second-Turn-For-3-Games-Running!) but either way, I fully support anything that stops people from playing more-sodding-Blood Angels....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-12-19 at 06:56 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I don't play with them very much ($400 well spent, 2 years ago! ) but I have just enough experience with either to say that, if you want to play a Terminator-based list, play Grey Knights and use the Grand Masters to make them Scoring.
    Minor correction there, GK Terminators are scoring by default. No need for a Grand Master.

And yes, they are fun to play.

That said, I'm pretty sure Cheesegear isn't that interested in running GKs, and you can, to my knowledge, run plenty of Terminators in a Black Templars list if you really want to, so I'd recommend the Templars. It's probably more his sort of thing from what I've observed.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-19 at 07:34 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #847
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

But, yeah, in your meta-game where psykers aren't the norm (wtf )
    Not as odd as you may think. psykers are good, but only like half the people in my usual store make any use of them at all, and it's far from constant. the others are paranoid of bad rolls and will never, ever field psykers or plasma because they think it'll kill them more than their opponents. our biggest psychic power users are nids, because of feel no pain hive tyrants and zoanthropes, and grey knights because...well, grey knights. Most other players use them in maybe half their matches, tops, not counting tournament play where casual lists don't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Minor correction there, GK Terminators are scoring by default. No need for a Grand Master.

And yes, they are fun to play.

That said, I'm pretty sure Cheesegear isn't that interested in running GKs, and you can, to my knowledge, run plenty of Terminators in a Black Templars list if you really want to, so I'd recommend the Templars. It's probably more his sort of thing from what I've observed.
    Don't the wolves also have a way to do this?
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

8. - Top - End - #848

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Provengreil View Post
    Yes we do: Buy Logan Grimnar to change Wolf Guard from Elites into Troops, then buy all your Wolf Guard Terminator armor. The internet has dubbed this "Loganwing".
    Last edited by Teln; 2011-12-19 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

9. - Top - End - #849

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Paladin. I was thinking of Paladin. But what you said, just makes it a better idea.

You can, to my knowledge, run plenty of Terminators in a Black Templars list if you really want to, so I'd recommend the Templars.
    Unfortunately, you can't run BT Terminators exclusively, and they can't be made into Troops, which I think is what Cheesegear had in mind. At the very least, it's spoiled by the Emperor's Champion who you must take and yet simply cannot be given Terminator armour!

Yes, provided that you are allowed to use Special Characters in your metagame (I've heard enough accounts from other players to know that some places, for good or ill, don't like you taking them), but Grey Knights undoubtedly do it better.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-12-19 at 01:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

I have to point out though that, for all the unique and impressive qualities of Grey Knight Termies, Hammernators are probably still superior to them more often than not.

Space Wolves Wolf Guard can be built as Hammernators (or with a different weapon, but keeping the crucial part, the stormshield), but they are more expensive than Grey Knight Termies, Deathwing or Codex Space Marines Hammernators then.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #851

Not as odd as you may think. psykers are good, but only like half the people in my usual store make any use of them at all, and it's far from constant. the others are paranoid of bad rolls and will never, ever field psykers or plasma because they think it'll kill them more than their opponents.
    I use a psyker most of the time in my blood angels army simply because of their psychic hood. It is invaluable being able to stop enemy psychic powers. The psychic powers are useful but less valuable than the psychic hood especially when playing against high psyker armies.

I dont see how anyone could mind the 1/6 chance of getting an overheat when plasma is just so powerful, especially when the users are wearing power armour. Its another reason why plaser backs are so good. No overheat.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

12. - Top - End - #852

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    I use a psyker most of the time in my blood angels army simply because of their psychic hood. It is invaluable being able to stop enemy psychic powers. The psychic powers are useful but less valuable than the psychic hood especially when playing against high psyker armies.

I dont see how anyone could mind the 1/6 chance of getting an overheat when plasma is just so powerful, especially when the users are wearing power armour. Its another reason why plaser backs are so good. No overheat.
    I only really use a Librarian, BA Captains are substandard and I do feel the need for Psychic defence, the ability to give my gunships some form of cover save when I don't move them fast and the capacity to swing a S10 tinopener far outstrips what a Chaplain will do for me.

As to plasma, I use it but I like having a Sanguinary priest to hand (but who doesn't ?) for when things do go spectacularly wrong, which they do so often for me.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Yes we do: Buy Logan Grimnar to change Wolf Guard from Elites into Troops, then buy all your Wolf Guard Terminator armor. The internet has dubbed this "Loganwing".
    Logan's Heroes is still the superior term.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #854

Oh, that IS useful...or would be, if my meta contained Space Marine players other than myself.

Let me know how it goes. I plan to start bulk-buying on Boxing Day.
    Unfortunately, I realized two flaws in my cunning plan after I got to one of my LGS's today.

1) I only have one Land Speeder, and even then I'd forgotten to pack it like a dope.
    2) Apparently no one plays 40k there on Mondays. The place was dead until about a half-hour before I left, and all of those people were gearing up for Magic.

On the bright side, now that I'm home and have access to my glorious stock of cardboard, glue, bits, and knives, I can MAKE a Land Speeder to test the list with in the near future. I think I'll probably go painting at the closer store tomorrow, and see if I can't happen upon a game by sheer luck. And if not, some of my IG will end up painted, so it's a pretty good deal either way.

Speaking of things I've made recently, I posted this in the Models thread...
    ARRIGHT YEW GROTS, LISSEN UP! DA BIG MEK'S GOT A NEW KILLA-KAN BUILT, AND 'E NEEDZ A VOL...A VOLU...SOMEONE TA DRIVE IT!
    I'll leave the image and explanation over there, but bring the tactical question here:

A Grotzooka is considered the best weapon to put on a Killa-Kan, correct? And since my model can easily double as a Grot Tank Kommanda (Hooray for Imperial Armor 8), what would you suggest I add as the second weapon? The Big Shoota gives me the range for a few plinks on Turn 1, but is otherwise somewhat useless. A Skorcha could be used if something gets too close for comfort (since Tanks can't get locked in combat, and firing S6 templates roughly on top of a pack of AV 10 vehicles isn't a great idea). I have a hard time imagining the other options being useful, because it would mean not firing the Grotzooka, and most likely missing for my trouble.

And since I'm dealing with Tank Squadrons, I have a pretty important question--Killa-Kans have the ability to take Grot Riggers, which can repair Immobilization on your own turn. In Squadrons, Immobilized = Destroyed. There's no way that the Riggers can fix a Destroyed-by-Immobilization result, is there? That would be pretty cool, but I fear it's merely an idle dream.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2011-12-19 at 11:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Yes, provided that you are allowed to use Special Characters in your metagame (I've heard enough accounts from other players to know that some places, for good or ill, don't like you taking them), but Grey Knights undoubtedly do it better.
    Either army, both Loganwing and Draigowing, are inferior to actual Deathwing. I'll explain;

If people haven't been following, I've been play-testing Grey Knights recently. And, while I do like them, Terminators/Paladins are not suited to my playstyle. Or, rather, not what I use Terminators for.

Without Draigo, it's normally unwise to take more than one unit of Paladins, because Grand Strategy has the ability to not do anything much and only makes one unit Scoring, and, without Draigo, Terminators are Scoring in the first place, and generally Strike Squads are just better because they're cheaper, have roughly the same damage output and Warp Quake is only just this side of broken.

With Draigo, he's 275 Points to start, and Paladins get more expensive from there. The majority of my games are in the 1250-1750 mark, and I can count the number of 2000< point games I've had this year on one hand. So, Draigo is too expensive to play.

Logan isn't much better. Before the Dark Angels FAQ was re-done, Logan was great. Then the Dark Angels were re-done and 'Loganwing' was reduced to gimmicky/exploitative 5-man squads with one model in Terminator Armour with Cyclone.

Belial - 135 Points
    Logan - 275 Points

Strictly speaking, yes, Logan is more killy than Belial. But 140 points more killy? Not really. Eternal Warrior is actually pretty good though.

Deathwing (x5) - 235 Points
    TH/SS, Cyclone Missile Launcher
    [x1/2 Lightning Claws to suit]

The 'best' non-exploit WG Terminator squad is;

Wolf Guard Terminators (x5) - 275 Points
    x3 Wolf Claw [Storm Bolters]
    x1 Power Fist [Storm Bolter]
    x1 Wolf Claw and Cyclone Missile Launcher [Storm Bolter]
    + Drop Pod

You can up the Power Fist count, but you also up the cost.
    For 40 points more, you gain no Invulnerables and an extra Kill Point if it counts. You have more firepower for killing Infantry (which no-one should ever be lacking anyway, IMO), and less ability to deal with Walkers and MCs (which, from experience are the bane of WG Terminators).
    Ultimately you can swap Logan in and the Cyclone out into a Long Fang squad - if you've got the points for that. Here's the equivalent Loganwing to my Deathwing up-thead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Logan - 275 Points

+ Drop Pod

+ Drop Pod

+ Drop Pod

Longs Fangs (x6) - 140 Points
    x5 Missile Launchers

1250 Points

Note the incredible lack of Invulnerables all-'round (eat Plasma/Melta!) and absolutely no Melta or Plasma to be seen.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-12-20 at 02:35 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

The 'best' non-exploit WG Terminator squad is;

+ Drop Pod
    No stormshield
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    No stormshield
    Not for 15 points each. It's not worth it. It might be alright for 2 on one unit of Terminators. But, for Loganwing, you're already strapped for points as it is, unless you start dropping models which also means losing the Cyclones which are required for the list.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-12-20 at 02:53 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #858

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I have to point out though that, for all the unique and impressive qualities of Grey Knight Termies, Hammernators are probably still superior to them more often than not.

Space Wolves Wolf Guard can be built as Hammernators (or with a different weapon, but keeping the crucial part, the stormshield), but they are more expensive than Grey Knight Termies, Deathwing or Codex Space Marines Hammernators then.
    to be fair to the other armies, codex marine hammernators are simply underpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post

I think the same way, I'll use plasma whenever I want. These guys are just so afraid of killing their own units they almost never take blast weaponry, let alone psykers and plasma. they still do well though, because storm shielded thunderwolves with musical wounds are incredibly hard to deal with at range and they tend to take out even my terminators or dreadnoughts in close combat.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

to be fair to the other armies, codex marine hammernators are simply underpriced.
    I think they're priced perfectly. In a Codex that doesn't support them, they need to stay cheap otherwise no-one would ever take them. In Blood Angels, where they're still cheap enough to be take-able, nobody still takes them because Blood Angels don't need them at all.

Under Space Wolves, they're just too over-costed, especially since giving Wolf Guard Terminator Armour also inhibits their ability to take Combi-Weapons. Space Wolves are plenty good at Assault already, they need more shooting. What? Long Fangs can do everything on their own? Please.

Codex Marine Hammernators are pretty bad. They don't shoot, in a shooty Codex. And that's why they're cheap. That's why they need He'Stan to be any good (and a Dreadnought/Sternguard under He'Stan is still better).
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-12-20 at 09:43 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Well I wasn't really planning on using said homebrew in a low level game anyway. I've actually found something I could use for space marine armor, that being the magitech templar, but was curious as to if there was any homebrew specifically put out as a conversion or could be easily refluffed like the aforementioned magitech templar.
    Even if it may be a little late, I point you to Dungeon Crusade, that's a direct 40K conversion to D&D 3.5 rules.

Here's the ork supplement.

21. - Top - End - #861

DrowGuy

I think they're priced perfectly. In a Codex that doesn't support them, they need to stay cheap otherwise no-one would ever take them. In Blood Angels, where they're still cheap enough to be take-able, nobody still takes them because Blood Angels don't need them at all.
    How do you figure that? a couple of HQ units, drop pods, and every sergeant you have access to can take teleport homers to bring the terminators in with no deep strike scatter wherever you deem you need them most. land raiders can transport them, and 14 armor is tough to crack absent melta, at which point you're in range for charging anyway. sure, both of these methods can get expensive, but that's the hidden cost of terminators i suppose, now that I type it. with hammernator saves, one round of shooting is unlikely to reduce them to ineffectiveness. also, He'stan is very nice but I would argue not a "useless without" level of necessary.

EDIT: also, as you covered why other armies are hesitant to use them, what WOULD you consider "good support" for assault terminators, If what I listed above wasn't enough?
    Last edited by Provengreil; 2011-12-20 at 10:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

EDIT: also, as you covered why other armies are hesitant to use them, what WOULD you consider "good support" for assault terminators, If what I listed above wasn't enough?
    A more aggressive army as a whole. Codex Marines tend to be too static, shooty, and reactive, allowing the opponent to bring fire (whether that be shooting or assaulting) to bear on the Hammernators. Compare to the general methods of, say, the Wolves, or the Dark Eldar, whose entire army can be int he opponents face very early. If you've got Grey Hunters dropping all over the opponent's units and tying them up, you would be able to more easily bring the hammer down, as it were.

23. - Top - End - #863

Griffon

There's no way that the Riggers can fix a Destroyed-by-Immobilization result, is there? That would be pretty cool, but I fear it's merely an idle dream.
    An idle dream, I'm afraid. Riggers only work if the model is still on the table, and Destroyed vehicles are removed from play immediately. Thus, they're not there at the start of your turn in order to have any effect. Nice thinking, though.

Or, rather, not what I use Terminators for.
    Ah, I get it. It's not Terminators in general that you're wanting to play, it's Terminators with Thunderhammers and Stormshields specifically. That makes a whole lot of difference

Just for giggles, have you worked out an equivalent list with (combat-squadded?) Sword Brethren? Okay, so you'll need a token couple of units of Initiates (sadly - like Dark Angels - BT's can't take Drop Pods with Teleport Homers, but I'm sure there's plenty that one can do with 2 Meltaguns and a few ablative wounds....) but I think it could be amusing to see just for comparison.

Might even work it out for myself, actually. It sounds silly, but I've made a 40k 'career' based on Wraithguard-swarms and Space Marine Dread-Mobs - I'm good at silly!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-12-20 at 03:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864

An idle dream, I'm afraid. Riggers only work if the model is still on the table, and Destroyed vehicles are removed from play immediately. Thus, they're not there at the start of your turn in order to have any effect. Nice thinking, though.
    Unless there is only one in the squad, right? Then it's not a vehicle squadron and does not suffer that rule.
    ~ZA

25. - Top - End - #865

Griffon

Well, yeah - then it's just Immobilised and Riggers works normally because it remains on the table to *be* fixed.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

every sergeant you have access to can take teleport homers
    Bad.

and raiders can transport them
    Bad.
    Justifying a bad unit by taking more bad choices doesn't make it good. And I know you've already been told this.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Justifying a bad unit by taking more bad choices doesn't make it good. And I know you've already been told this.
    Just a wondering, is there an exeption to this?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #868

Bad.

Bad.
    Your argument is circular. Hammernators are bad because Marines don't support them, except they do but supporting them is bad.

At any rate, they objectively aren't bad, because a unit of eight of them can destroy 1500 points worth of Guard, blobs, tanks and all.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2011-12-20 at 05:49 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

29. - Top - End - #869

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Your argument is circular. Hammernators are bad because Marines don't support them, except they do but supporting them is bad.
    There is a sort of logic to this.

If Hammernators are a (comparatively) bad choice because they have a lot of deficiencies. You can, however, add other units to pick up the slack where they let themselves down. This seems like a good thing, right?

This is also a (comparatively) bad choice, because instead you could drop the Hammernators altogether, take another unit that is inherently good, and then the rest of your army doesn't have to support them and can focus more directly on fulfilling a more important role. Which is better.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-12-20 at 06:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #870

There is a sort of logic to this.

If Hammernators are a (comparatively) bad choice because they have a lot of deficiencies. You can, however, add other units to pick up the slack where they let themselves down. This seems like a good thing, right?

This is also a (comparatively) bad choice, because instead you could drop the Hammernators altogether, take another unit that is inherently good, and then the rest of your army doesn't have to support them and can focus more directly on fulfilling a more important role. Which is better.
    I still see merit in supporting a ball of 2+/3++ death to everything that will not die no matter how many lascannons, battle cannons, demolisher cannons, multilasers, autocannons, plasma guns, and oh, so many lasguns are shot in its direction.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein