New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIV: "Pray for 6's!"

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    Okay thanks, at least a Raider doesn't have a big footprint! And cover saves shouldn't be difficult to manage.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    as far as I can tell, it does. However, it also states "in Kill Team, the more terrain the better"- so that needs to be remembered when selecting them.
    Unfortunately you can't take named characters, or vehicles. That just ruined this army.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Each side selects a 200 pt army (0-1 HQ, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack) and is played on a 3 to 4 ft square board. All models operate as individual units. In an assault each model may split up attacks among eligable units.
    Its actually 0-1 Elites, 0-2 Troops and 0-1 Fast Attack.

For an upcoming kill teams tournament i was thinking:

10 Wyches

10 Warriors
    Blaster or Splinter Cannon

What do you think?
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Oops- must have not been looking at the bit closely.

Still, there are some special characters that are Elites or Troops- and are usable in the Battle Missions version of the Kill Team mission, as far as I can tell- the book doesn't mention otherwise.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

best DE kill team,

5 wyches 135
    hexatrix
    agoniser
    venom
    splinter cannon

4 trueborn 63
    1 blaster

blaster gets infiltrate, hexatrx gets scout, venom gets stealth
    Check out my horrible homebrews

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

So, im trying to build a 1000 point infantry core for a new necron army, and would like to hear if people think this is viable.

Spoiler
    Show

Nemezor Zandrekh

19 Warriors
    Cryptect with Veil of darkness

10 Immortals with tesla
    Cryptec with tremorstave

9 Scarabs

4 Wraiths with 2 particle casters and 2 whipcoils

The army should still be pretty mobile, since everyone but the Immortals is able to deepstrike down.

I got the warriors to pin down vehicles while the scarabs eat them.

I have the immortals to blast appart and slow down enemy infantry (with the aid of the tremor stave)

And lastly i have both the scarabs and the wraiths to act like counter charge units ( the scarabs become quite decent at cc if Zandrekh gives them furious charge).
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

@Lord Khaine.

Thats a good list, BUT, you have to think about your HQ.. it is going alone?
    He is going to take a lot of fire, also.. those wraiths should move fast before they get firepower on them.. their 3++ will not save them.

Take care with the veil.. is not easy to aim and if your warriors die you are screw. Thats the most important part of your list.. The warriors.

@Cheesegear
    I love what you said about the Necron Codex and i totally agree.. This necron new codex opens alot of posibilities for all kind of army lists.
    So.. Lets start thinking!
    Ghost arks = Must.-

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Still, there are some special characters that are Elites or Troops- and are usable in the Battle Missions version of the Kill Team mission, as far as I can tell- the book doesn't mention otherwise.
    Played the Battle Missions version of it in a doubles campaign once. My partner used Marbo, who does his reserves thing regardless even though the game rules say no reserves. (Marbo's rule says he always does it, even if the scenario directly says otherwise.)

He didn't show up until the rest of the army was dead. And I used a Chimera and he threw in a pair of Sentinels, so vehicles are perfectly allowed in the Battle Missions rules.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Well, ill most likely place my HQ with the warriors, that will make them insanely hard to kill, especaly if i give them stealth as well.

Im not sure about what to do with the wraiths and scarabs yet, though i was considering keeping them in reserve, then if the enemy gets anything in from reserve, then they can both deepstrike down in his turn.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

But i think this is for the book, they just couldn't write all that into a book (or thought it was broken?)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Played the Battle Missions version of it in a doubles campaign once. My partner used Marbo, who does his reserves thing regardless even though the game rules say no reserves. (Marbo's rule says he always does it, even if the scenario directly says otherwise.)

He didn't show up until the rest of the army was dead. And I used a Chimera and he threw in a pair of Sentinels, so vehicles are perfectly allowed in the Battle Missions rules.
    See above
    But if that is m´not the case then the best army must be:

Ironclad: flamer, hurricane bolter, seismic hammer, assoult launchers, 2 hunter killers.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #70

The book didn't have anything forbidding vehicles- and I couldn't find a Kill Team FAQ which might forbid them either.

Still, I could imagine people looking at certain vehicles or special characters and saying "Overpowered for Kill Team" and introducing houserules forbidding them.

11. - Top - End - #71

One of our opponents just fielded five Terminators and the other a Death Company squad in a Razorback. We had precisely one thing that could hurt Terminators reliably, and owing to each model being a separate unit, they killed it with great prejudice as soon as possible.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #72

It really is not that overpowered considering most people take terminators or some such as their killteam. The other thing to remember is that dreadnought's would only be able to attack one model at a time leaving their vulnerable rear side open to attack. And if it was really bad you could force a draw simply by climbing up a ruin. That way he cannot attack you in close combat and must shoot all of your models off.

I have played against a regular dread and 5 marines with my tactical squad. I focussed on the marines first and lost only 2 before I had killed them all. The missile launcher is nothing against the dread and in the end bolter fire took it down. I was able to encircle it and then rapid fire the back. The second time I rapid fired it was immobilised and after that I could just hammer it.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Theres any possiblity of ussing the Monolith with the new Codex? Someone thought of any strategy or somthing? I dont see it very useful without a safe deepstrike.. and its pretty huge.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by filvento View Post
    Theres any possiblity of ussing the Monolith with the new Codex? Someone thought of any strategy or somthing? I dont see it very useful without a safe deepstrike.. and its pretty huge.
    Well deepstriking isn't actually that dangerous. Just find a clear patch and drop it there, even if it is in terrain. The worst that can happen then is you immobilise it but that isn't so bad.

15. - Top - End - #75

Paladins with Scout in Dawn of War Annihilation are possibly one of the nastiest things in the game.

That is all.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Paladins with Scout in Dawn of War Annihilation are possibly one of the nastiest things in the game.

That is all.
    I can see how that could be very nasty.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by filvento View Post
    @Cheesegear
    I love what you said about the Necron Codex and i totally agree.. This necron new codex opens alot of posibilities for all kind of army lists.
    ...Wait. What?

If anything, what I said about the Necrons was negative. They're like slow Dark Eldar. And slow Dark Eldar are bad. Unless you agree. I don't know whether or not you realise it. You love what I said (Necrons are bad), but want to make an army anyway?
    ...I'm confused.

I'm not a fan of the new Necrons. Well, in comparison to say, Tyranids I am. But that's not saying much. I bought the Codex, because. But the rest of my money spent on 'Necron Release Day' was spent on Space Wolves. And, at the moment, just after buying another Lysander, I'm doing some arm-swaps and a head-dremmel to make Arjac.

It's time for the Ward Hate to actually mean something. Go out and join the Kelly Gang; Space Wolves and Dark Eldar. Incidentally, my two favourite Codecies out right now. And not 'just because' they're written by Phil Kelly.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #78

Isn't them being in the power scale of Marines a good thing- since it shows that the temptation to either overpower or underpower them, has been avoided?

They seem to fill a niche of their own- between the Tau and the Eldar/DE. Tougher and better fighters than the Tau, but slower than the Eldar.

There's a variety of options- one could have a fast moving, all power armoured list of Immortals in Nightscythes, one could have a slower but durable list of Warriors in Ghost Arks, one can mix and match.

Or even take an all footslogger swarm army of 20-strong Warriors & Flayed Ones.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Slow DE would be bad, but slow DE with better durability, tougher transports, similar anti-infantry and a different way of popping tanks? Slightly less so IMO. Crons don't need to be as offensive and quick anyway, as they don't want to be in assault and don't have Power from Pain ordering them to 'Kill stuff quick!'

I do agree that DE seem to be marginally superior from what I've gleaned so far from the Necron codex, but as player of both I guess only time and play experience will tell. If you can get a pain token for DE quick they suddenly become approximately as durable as Necrons, and don't fear assault like the Crons do. DE are devastating if the first couple of turns go right, but I think Necrons will be a little more forgiving of early game mistakes/bad luck as they're more defensive and start out tougher. Both armies seem to have a lot of options and potential builds.

More than ready to feel the love for Phil Kelly though, DE is a great balanced codex without many duff units and plenty of options. The fluff is good too, and that's coming from someone who usually ignores such things. To be fair I quite like the new Necron fluff as it turns them into 'moustache-twiddling evils' (term stolen from another forum) as well, so I guess Ward got something right for me there.

...and I'm rambling. I'll stop now.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2011-11-09 at 06:15 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

20. - Top - End - #80

Sometimes it seems like skimmer transports are beginning to take over the game.

Marines got the Land Speeder Storm
    IG got Valkyries & Vendettas
    Blood Angels & Grey Knights got the Stormraven
    Orks (in Imperial Armour) got the Warkopta
    and now Necrons have the Ghost Ark and the Night Scythe.

On the plus side, at least it can make games very dynamic and all about mobility.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

On the plus side, at least it can make games very dynamic and all about mobility.
    And Eldar have, uh, Wave Serpents and Falcons.
    Dammit, the next Eldar codex release is too far away.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

And DE have Raiders and Venoms. Tau have Devilfish too. They've already taken over!

Good job most of them are relatively easy to blow up.

23. - Top - End - #83

I think you mean flyers are taking over. Skimmers are old hat. Valyries, Storm Ravens and that Dark eldar flyer. Every race is getting one too.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    I think you mean flyers are taking over. Skimmers are old hat. Valyries, Storm Ravens and that Dark eldar flyer. Every race is getting one too.
    Necrons
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

The Night Scythe is a flying transport, so yeah they've got one. No model yet, but I'm sure if the Cron sales figures are good enough there will be one soon-ish.

26. - Top - End - #86

They're still skimmers- but I suspect certain skimmer units are going to at least have the option to be flyers in Apocalypse games, or maybe even in 6th ed, if it introduces a "Flyer" rule to core 40K.

The Valkyrie & Vendetta have that option in a White Dwarf article- so they're good candidates.

The Stormraven seems to fit in its description- coming down from space like a mini-thunderhawk.

And Supersonic vehicles with Aerial Assault would fit (Voidraven, Razorwing, Night Scythe, Doom Scythe).

27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I tried my hand fiddling with IG again, because I'm a sucker for cool models and I found some Steel Legion on Ebay for fairly reasonable prices. There's enough time before the December Doubles Tourney that I can easily learn how to play with an IG list if I decide to use them instead of [Insert Flavor] Marines, so I would like the thread's opinion on the following list.

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Company Command Squad, 165pts
    -Regimental Standard, Vox-Caster, 2 Flamers, Master of Ordinance
    +Chimera

TROOPS
    Infantry Platoon, 260pts
    Platoon Command Squad, 30pts
    Infantry Squad, 80pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon, Vox-Caster
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon

Infantry Platoon, 260pts
    Infantry Squad, 80pts
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon

Infantry Platoon, 260pts
    Infantry Squad, 80pts
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon
    Infantry Squad, 75pts
    -Flamer, Lascannon

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Leman Russ Battle Tank, 150pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank, 150pts

TOTAL: 1245/1250 points

So, how is it? What would you suggest I change, given my limited point value? I don't really think I have the option (due to limited funding and availability) of putting together a Chimera-Box-Wall army, and IG don't use Rhinos, so I'm out of luck with using lots of vehicles. I may end up having to change my available model-count anyways based on what auctions I win, but I'm trying to get a good baseline to work from.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2011-11-09 at 04:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    TOTAL: 12451250 points
    How many points exactly is this doubles tournament?

Uh, needs more Melta Mechvets and Gunships.
    To paraphrase someone who actually knows guard.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

He has lascannons :P

The only thing I'd add to this list is another tank, plus a few V-gunships, of both varieties, or IG light tanks, both from FA slots.

Also, weapons are kind of schizophrenic, flamers/lascannons don't mix that well, I'd replace flamers with grenade launchers. Unless all you want your flamers to ever do is to act as mild assault deterrent.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    TOTAL: 12451250 points
    Just doing some quick math, for a game that big, you will want a board around 400ft by 300ft, or 37000ft by 4ft, give or take. Also, only 2 tanks in a one million plus points army is probably not enough, go for at least twenty thousand, sixty if you really wanna be a jerk.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2011-11-09 at 02:42 PM.
    ~ZA