New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: In a zombie apocalpyse

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I think your exaggerating *just* a little, or humans wouldn't have used them as a prime mover for the past several thousand years.
    For the past several thousand years, we haven't had zombies.

Horses are well-known for panicking at the scent of a predator, and all it takes is one time to break your back. Recall my advice to Murska about risk management.
    Horses who are well-trained won't rear and panic, but do your horses have that kind of training, Dehro?
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post

Horses are well-known for panicking at the scent of a predator, and all it takes is one time to break your back. Recall my advice to Murska about risk management.
    Horses who are well-trained won't rear and panic, but do your horses have that kind of training, Dehro?
    Yes, but as you point out ,we have had predators. Horses can be trained to be much less skittish, some breeds been better suited than others. Except over rough terrain, I wouldn't use horses for riding anyway. That's what the bikes are for. Instead, I'd take advantage of their pulling power for hauling supplies in carts and wagons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Horses take plenty of care too. I'm not trained for that, so I'd simply free any horses that I encounter along the way (that have been abandoned) and continue on my way. It's not as though I intend to move anything that heavy around after everything is in place.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Yes, but as you point out ,we have had predators. Horses can be trained to be much less skittish, some breeds been better suited than others. Except over rough terrain, I wouldn't use horses for riding anyway. That's what the bikes are for. Instead, I'd take advantage of their pulling power for hauling supplies in carts and wagons.
    Oh, certainly - but not every horse has that training, and "After the apocalypse and possibly on the run" isn't the best time for it.

Ahh, wisdom. Yes, the horse is a good beast of burden. Not the best, but donkeys and mules have fallen out of fashion this past century. It's certainly better than you or I, even with a bike.
    ... If horses could become zombies, then it might be possible to continue using it in such a manner. If fantasy novels are any indication, there's little to no threat so long as you remember to hobble them before sleeping.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't owned horses in a while, so no..
    then again.. you are right in saying they panic at predators.
    you're also correct that we haven't had zombies around

horses aren't the smartest animals on the planet.. how do they know zombies are predators?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I haven't owned horses in a while, so no..
    then again.. you are right in saying they panic at predators.
    you're also correct that we haven't had zombies around

horses aren't the smartest animals on the planet.. how do they know zombies are predators?
    How are they with the smell of dead thing?
    How about after they've encountered a couple of zombies who've tried to eat them? Horses aren't that dumb. They'll learn to associate the smell with the threat, just like they did all the other predators.

Currently Playing

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

That's assuming the zombies even attack horses and don't stick to being literal humanitarians.
    It depends on 'verse.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

That's assuming the zombies even attack horses and don't stick to being literal humanitarians.
    It depends on 'verse.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

How about after they've encountered a couple of zombies who've tried to eat them? Horses aren't that dumb. They'll learn to associate the smell with the threat, just like they did all the other predators.
    I don't really know...I've never encountered a corpse, animal carcass or a zombie whilst riding. I have crossed paths with foxes and wild boars a couple of times, and that didn't have any consequence..
    not the same thing, I know..
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

*warning: walking dead spoiler*

I would just like to point out on this thread(since we have someone clearly advocating and insisting that they would absolutely mimic him) that the attitude of "I'm more important then anyone else, and I'll happily shoot someone in order to save myself" has finally gotten
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shane killed at the hands of Rick, when Shane had decided that he had had enough of Ricks kindness and belief in others and tried to kill Rick.
    Let that be a lesson to all those who would idolize him as a hero, because he finally got what was coming to him.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-03-12 at 01:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    *warning: walking dead spoiler*

I would just like to point out on this thread(since we have someone clearly advocating and insisting that they would absolutely mimic him) that the attitude of "I'm more important then anyone else, and I'll happily shoot someone in order to save myself" has finally gotten
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shane killed at the hands of Rick, when Shane had decided that he had had enough of Ricks kindness and belief in others and tried to kill Rick.
    Let that be a lesson to all those who would idolize him as a hero, because he finally got what was coming to him.
    In the comic, Rick's kid whacked him in the first compilation book. Much, much sooner than in the series.

Currently Playing

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

I've never idolized that point of view. While one must protect ones own, in a zombie apocalypse, or in natural disasters like Katrina for example, it can make things much, much worse.
    I don't fear a typical lurcher as much as I fear looters and raiders in this kind of situation.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

... If horses could become zombies, then it might be possible to continue using it in such a manner.
    Or you could directly use the zombies.
    (read also the page following the one linked)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground

They would associate the smell with carrion, and would likely assume the zombies to be carrion eaters if they are slow shambling zombies. The herd would likely still keep their distance or move away, as horses are known to. Their sense of smell is pretty good. Also, if the zombies are making non-normal movements to humans, that would be a tipoff, as would non-normal motions and movements. I really don't forsee a horse standing still and letting a zombie get near enough to be a threat. And if surrounded, in the fight of horse VS zombies, my money is still on the horse.

But if I was going to keep an animal with me, it would be a dog.

Incidentally, I don't expect pet stores to be ransacked for supplies come zombie invasion day. And we've all heard stories of people eating dog food. Just saying, if you're in a pinch, that kibble will keep, and a clever person could make it tasty enough.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    They would associate the smell with carrion, and would likely assume the zombies to be carrion eaters if they are slow shambling zombies. The herd would likely still keep their distance or move away, as horses are known to. Their sense of smell is pretty good. Also, if the zombies are making non-normal movements to humans, that would be a tipoff, as would non-normal motions and movements. I really don't forsee a horse standing still and letting a zombie get near enough to be a threat. And if surrounded, in the fight of horse VS zombies, my money is still on the horse.

But if I was going to keep an animal with me, it would be a dog.

Incidentally, I don't expect pet stores to be ransacked for supplies come zombie invasion day. And we've all heard stories of people eating dog food. Just saying, if you're in a pinch, that kibble will keep, and a clever person could make it tasty enough.
    I dunno, ive had problems with horses biting me. If one bites a zombie it would just infect itself. (if possible)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dunno, ive had problems with horses biting me. If one bites a zombie it would just infect itself. (if possible)
    Human diseases don't infect animals and vice versa. In fact, the number of cases where a mutation has occured that allowed such infection is pretty darned rare outside of things like Bird Flu and Swine Flu. The Horse probably would be fine.

Horse is also likely to kick. Yeah, that's going to mess up a zombie pretty good.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

17. - Top - End - #437

NecromancerGuy

Now that's a good point, though I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to about meat-flavored cereal. I mean, other than also raiding some place and getting one's mitts on a quantity of Tabasco, i.e., the bachelor's companion for making anything vaguely palatable.

The canned dog food I could see being diluted into a very salty stew-like concoction.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-12 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #438

Spoiler because it's kind of gross
    Spoiler
    Show

Prep: Make stock out of chicken or beef or pork, and any leftover vegetables, especially root vegetables. Bones are your friend. Stock will keep longer than most vegetables, and much longer than meat on its own.

Kibble: Grind down to basically breadcrumbs, add stock, simmer on low heat (above camp fire or right on banked coals). Dip bread in it, throw in some root vegetables, or add in Wet food.
    Wet Foods: Mash it up as much as possible, add stock, simmer on medium heat (just ever so slightly touching the flames, or low flames/fresh coals). Add dry oats or grains such as rice, or lentils or beans.
    Stock from the above:
    Grind/mash finely, boil in water for 1 hour. Consider straining.

Incidentally, Pine Needles make an excellent tea, and is considered to be a poor man's rosemary. Sage grows all over the place. Dandelions and their greens are quite tasty, completely edible, and packed with nutrients.

19. - Top - End - #439

Human diseases don't infect animals and vice versa. In fact, the number of cases where a mutation has occured that allowed such infection is pretty darned rare outside of things like Bird Flu and Swine Flu. The Horse probably would be fine.

Horse is also likely to kick. Yeah, that's going to mess up a zombie pretty good.
    True, of course, according to the zombie survival guide, i believe the zombie infection is flat out lethal to animals, no zombie horses, they just die. Im just saying it would suck if a zombie wandered up to your horse and he tried to bite its arm off if kicking didnt put it down for good.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Or you could directly use the zombies.
    (read also the page following the one linked)
    Ok, thanks for the webcomic link. I have another one I've archive dived into.

The Zombie Survival Guide is so wonderfully simple in its "zombieism kills animals but only infects humans" thing. No zombie horses, and no zombie monkeys.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, since World War Zed is everyone's favorite power trip scenario, can I get a consensus on what use a squadron of guard bears would be?

22. - Top - End - #442

NecromancerGuy

Tantamount to suicide?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    True, of course, according to the zombie survival guide, i believe the zombie infection is flat out lethal to animals, no zombie horses, they just die. Im just saying it would suck if a zombie wandered up to your horse and he tried to bite its arm off if kicking didnt put it down for good.
    Actually in the Real-World™ quite a few diseases jump species. Some, like the bubonic plague are only transmitted by other critters, and some think AIDS may be a mutated disease from other primates. On a somewhat less deadly level, we don't call them 'bird flu' and 'swine flu' for giggles.
    Now, when diseases jump species, the different immune systems and physiology mean you can get some quite different symptoms; a disease one creature can be carrier for with no ill effects can be insanely deadly to another, but the point remains that disease can affect more than one species.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    So, since World War Zed is everyone's favorite power trip scenario, can I get a consensus on what use a squadron of guard bears would be?
    you could do this:

Spoiler
    Show

except with bears..

honestly, what else would you need?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Tantamount to suicide?
    Well, yes. That much is obvious in the part where you train and capture the bears.

But as a defense force and potential fodder. Is the common consensus that biting a zombie back infects and causes death? Because that would be the short answer.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Even if biting a zombie wouldn't kill the animal (bears mostly use their paws anyway), I would much prefer a bunch of trained dogs to a bunch of trained bears, truthfully. I mean, while the bears I've seen haven't been trained or anything, I do know what a pack of Irish Wolfhounds can do, for example, and training and taking care of them would be quite a bit easier.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

27. - Top - End - #447

Default Re: In A Zombie Apocalpyse

Head-Line:
    Roman Style War Dogs Save World From Zombies

Really, it would never work. The transmission of the zombie contagion from one species to another would simply mean killing the dogs after a victory. The reason why is because the dogs' primary weapon would be their jaws and teeth. This would allow the infection to spread to the dogs if they were used in a combat capacity. It is not cost effective for a military unit to train a militant and then kill it after the first battle. Even more, there is no guarantee that an animal could be made to fight a zombie. Bears might considering their natural size advantage. As mentioned earlier, they could use paws as opposed to teeth. But even disciplined horses trained to trample humans would think twice about approaching a creature that could bite it and transform it into something else.

If a human can detect and reason out that a zombie could transform a victim into a zombie most animals could reason this by instinct.

Dogs would be useful for scouting and guard duty in World War Zed, but not active field combat. Explosive-packed pigs have a better chance.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-03-15 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added Content

28. - Top - End - #448

NecromancerGuy

I'm now imagining elephants trampling a horde of zombies.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #449

Default Re: In A Zombie Apocalypse

That thought is made of win. As long as the zombies are humans and do not have javelins or other weapons, that might be viable. Still, the driver and crew would have to be ready to put the elephant down.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Unless the Zombie apocalypse is in Thailand or other country where they still use elephants for labour on a semi-regular basis, there is little chance of it happening.