New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XL: The Plot Thickens!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    In honor of yesterday:
    Ponythread XLI: Victory
    I vote for this one.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Ook. *nods head in agreement*
    Oh come now, Igor, working for me isn't that bad.
    Ook ook!
    So I ran a few harmless experiments on you once or twice...alright, twenty seven times, but the point is the side effects were almost never life-threatening.
    Wait, don't you still have the evil version of my battlestation AI on your ship. Give me back AMENA!
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know this may sound a bit more serious than normal for this thread, but I have a concern running through my head and I thought: why not ask my fellow bronies? So here it is.

If I'm writing a fanfic, is it normal to become attached to the characters that I create? :/

(Thanqol, you know what I am talking about, sort of. Don't worry though I'm not talking 'bout Charger. She's all yours.)
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

I took the Rarity pony creator on the wedding website for a spin. It has a surprising number of options, I was impressed. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    I know this may sound a bit more serious than normal for this thread, but I have a concern running through my head and I thought: why not ask my fellow bronies? So here it is.

If I'm writing a fanfic, is it normal to become attached to the characters that I create? :/

(Thanqol, you know what I am talking about, sort of. Don't worry though I'm not talking 'bout Charger. She's all yours.)
    Absolutely. If you make them right, they can seem just as real as a normal person. It's perfectly natural to feel sympathy for them. The trick is not letting that attachment get in the way of your story. In that regard, you must be merciless.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Barbarian in the Playground

Totally normal. You created them, their your beloved creations so it's normal to get attached, with the time you put in.

Then you put them as you than it's not normal.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

7. - Top - End - #1417

It is for me. I wrote a scene in my fic beating up on Fluttershy a bit, and afterwards I actually felt guilty. Empathy is a good sign that you're creating a character that feels real (at least to you). But how attached are we talking about here?
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I'm fine, thanks for asking.

What? How?

Improved Evasion. Duh.
    Why would you not be? You're not undead anymore. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    We also have an Element of Shipping who'd likely be willing to oblige.
    Who am I kissing?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'd also like to make my efforts to start a new meme more blatant. Discord can Duck punch things. Therefore Discord is a Sidereal. This is now my fanon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    C'mon, he's a Fair Folk Noble. The Fair Folk are perfectly capable of Shaping attacks. Sidereal Shaping is more along the lines of retcons, camera angles, editing, and well placed background characters. Pinkie is a much better Sidereal than Discord.
    wait how long have you too been able to talk about these things

Also
    Can thread fifty nine be Shipping is Magic? Or something?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Wait, don't you still have the evil version of my battlestation AI on your ship. Give me back AMENA!
    Hmm, I can't quite recall what you're referring to.
    Ook.
    Ah, yes, thank you Igor, now I remember. I believe the AI you're referring to was the backup OFC control system, which briefly took over after my ship was infected with the original AI, PINKIE.
    I'm still here, silly!
    DEAR SWEET CELESTIA, ITS BACK!
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground

You can take my lamp. Just be aware that if it touches paper it'll burst into flames. When I put it like that it makes me realise that this lamp is kind of a bad idea. You sure about that warranty?
    I'm sure it'll be fine, as long as your TV isn't made out of paper...

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    In other news, I want to get the ball rolling on our new thread title.

My Little Pony XLI: Riots, Riots Everywhere

I like this one myself.

C'mon, he's a Fair Folk Noble. The Fair Folk are perfectly capable of Shaping attacks. Sidereal Shaping is more along the lines of retcons, camera angles, editing, and well placed background characters. Pinkie is a much better Sidereal than Discord.
    Yeah, I'd say Discord would make a pretty proper member of the Gentry. Though it begs the question of how he feels about cold iron...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

Also
    Can thread fifty nine be Shipping is Magic? Or something?
    I can't speak for Thanqol, but I picked up the main Exalted rulebook about a year and half ago. I tried running one game of it, but my more lecherous friend got a little hung up on his character's motivation and we didn't get very far. I just like reading about it, charm names are amazing.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Season Finale spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. Stu is Cadence, you know... alicorn OC, an obvious Stu (or possibly Sue, I guess)

His friends are all the clones we saw in that one clip. They all wanted to be one of the mane 6.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...less horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Or maybe you're onto something dark and sinister there. Your comparison isn't breaking down. It is, in fact, breaking up!

SG-1 FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    ...Celestiabot? Sorry, couldn't figure out a way to incorporate SHODAN into the Princess's name.
    There might be a story in here somewhere. The plot of Chrono Cross involved the AI competing with these draconic gods for control of the world. And the dragons wanted to lead the non human races against mankind. The main characters, naturally, get caught in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    In other news, I was up quite a bit picturing the "script" of Rainbow Dash going to the DMV to renew her daredevil license. I've never written good fanfiction before, but I guess there's only one way out of my head.
    Not sure it should be called the DMV (Department of Aerial Vehicles or Ponies, maybe), but I'd suggest Now Serving Number 20. I heard plenty of similar announcements when I had to renew my license.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Ponythread XLI: Riots, Riots Everwhere gets my vote, because it fit's so well.
    By the way, how long did it take for us to almost finish this thread, anyway? I could swear we were only halfway done a day ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    This or "XLI: Elements of EVERYTHING".
    Isn't that the concept behind the game Nobilis?
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2012-04-02 at 10:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    By the way, how long did it take for us to almost finish this thread, anyway? I could swear we were only halfway done a day ago.
    I believe that the thread's speed was greatly increased as a result of the April Foals Day forum joke
    -imicherry, cherrychonga? Chimmicherry, cherrychonga?
    *sob* Make it stop...
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

Who am I kissing?
    If Thanqol were less abstract in his drawing, potentially the Element of Hot Pony Kisses (Benson). To be honest, I'm surprised the two of you haven't teamed up for some sort of buddy-cop hijinks. Except instead of catching crooks with gratuitous explosions, you'd be working relationship magic...with gratuitous explosions.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-04-02 at 10:47 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

15. - Top - End - #1425

If Thanqol were less abstract, the Element of Hot Pony Kisses (Benson). To be honest, I'm surprised the two of you haven't teamed up for some sort of buddy-cop hijinks. Except instead of catching crooks with gratuitous explosions, you'd be working relationship magic...with gratuitous explosions.
    She's the herald of a goddess, dedicated to mischief and shipping! He's a schizophrenic Australian with a crippling addiction to powdered unicorn horn and a hat! They write pony fics!

Schizo sounds better than "multiple personality disorder," I know they aren't really the same thing

8 days for the first 25 pages and 3 days for the last 25, to give you some idea of the rate of acceleration.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-04-02 at 10:52 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

A
    I am scared to ask, but I must know. What the hay was the noodle incident?! 0_0
    The courts are still deliberating on it, but this may or may not be informative. Further discussion is quite legal and beyond the bounds of this forum.

Not sure it should be called the DMV (Department of Aerial Vehicles or Ponies, maybe), but I'd suggest Now Serving Number 20. I heard plenty of similar announcements when I had to renew my license.
    I want to keep it DMV just because it's absurd.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-04-02 at 11:07 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

17. - Top - End - #1427

It is for me. I wrote a scene in my fic beating up on Fluttershy a bit, and afterwards I actually felt guilty. Empathy is a good sign that you're creating a character that feels real (at least to you). But how attached are we talking about here?
    Just...attached. Like, I don't mind if one of my main characters breaks a leg or is sent comatose or discorded. I just feel sorrow at the fact that their story will end and I can't really stand that.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

This is a quick run-through of our voting standings.

Thread Names That Have Received Votes*:
    5- Riots, Riots Everywhere
    1- Victory

Other titles:
    Season 2 Ruined my Cannon
    Yes, Those are Roman Numerals
    Upside Down and Covered in Flames
    Ponyland, Post-4/01
    Suddenly Becoming Popular Again!
    Elements of EVERYTHING
    Today the Forum, Tomorrow the WORLD!
    We won, good game
    The Thread Shall Last Forever!

*I'm not counting the person who suggested the title as a vote for that. If you want to count the person who suggested the title, add one to these numbers.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I believe that the thread's speed was greatly increased as a result of the April Foals Day forum joke
    -imicherry, cherrychonga? Chimmicherry, cherrychonga?
    *sob* Make it stop...
    8 days for the first 25 pages and 3 days for the last 25, to give you some idea of the rate of acceleration.
    Dang. We need to take over websites more often.

I want to keep it DMV just because it's absurd.
    Fair enough. My suggestion still stands, though. Now Serving Number 20, or some other reference to waiting a really long time.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes. An important skill is knowing how to be cruel to them despite this.

That's disappointing! One of my life goals is to get a fanfiction community into being around something I've created. I think it's the highest form of flattery.

Absolutely. If you make them right, they can seem just as real as a normal person. It's perfectly natural to feel sympathy for them. The trick is not letting that attachment get in the way of your story. In that regard, you must be merciless.
    Yes, this.

I played Exalted pretty much exclusively from 2008-2011, whereupon my darling became Mage. I've played a LOT of Exalted, and the only reason I'm not so interested in it any more is because I've played out every story and every character that possibly interested me.

It was some of my best gaming ever, but I feel like I'm done with it - at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Yeah, I'd say Discord would make a pretty proper member of the Gentry. Though it begs the question of how he feels about cold iron...
    Celestia and Luna, as Gentry themselves, wouldn't allow iron in Equestria in the first place.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Firbolg in the Playground

If Thanqol were less abstract in his drawing, potentially the Element of Hot Pony Kisses (Benson). To be honest, I'm surprised the two of you haven't teamed up for some sort of buddy-cop hijinks. Except instead of catching crooks with gratuitous explosions, you'd be working relationship magic...with gratuitous explosions.
    Like Michael Bay producing a Rom-Com
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough. My suggestion still stands, though. Now Serving Number 20, or some other reference to waiting a really long time.
    The big thing is- and this is the reason why I quoted "script" there- is that I'm actually seeing this as more of an animation without any actual voice work. Kind of like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, or one of the "Dad" episodes of Dexter's Laboratory. I mean, yes, the whole thing's going to be about how long and painful Rainbow Dash is waiting, but it just totally clicks for me in my head. So, yeah, it'll be a really boring fanfic because of that, but at least there won't be any stunted dialogue.
    ---

23. - Top - End - #1433

Just...attached. Like, I don't mind if one of my main characters breaks a leg or is sent comatose or discorded. I just feel sorrow at the fact that their story will end and I can't really stand that.
    The story should end when it is time for the story to end. To end it sooner is tragic. To end it later is corrupt.

That isn't to say you shouldn't do either. MacBeth, for example, wields that corruption as the heart of it's story. You've just got to be aware of it and deliberate about it.

The big thing is- and this is the reason why I quoted "script" there- is that I'm actually seeing this as more of an animation without any actual voice work. Kind of like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, or one of the "Dad" episodes of Dexter's Laboratory. I mean, yes, the whole thing's going to be about how long and painful Rainbow Dash is waiting, but it just totally clicks for me in my head. So, yeah, it'll be a really boring fanfic because of that, but at least there won't be any stunted dialogue.
    That actually sounds fantastic.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Troll in the Playground

The story should end when it is time for the story to end. To end it sooner is tragic. To end it later is corrupt.

That isn't to say you shouldn't do either. MacBe-

*Slams hands over ears*

Uh... Anyone else getting a strange sense of deja vu?

That actually sounds fantastic.
    Thanks... Now to work up the motivation to do it.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-04-02 at 11:23 PM.
    ---

25. - Top - End - #1435

Yes. An important skill is knowing how to be cruel to them despite this.

That's disappointing! One of my life goals is to get a fanfiction community into being around something I've created. I think it's the highest form of flattery.
    Don't you worry your pretty little head, Thanqol. Charger may end up more developed than Clockwork. She'll most likely end up more popular though. Much akin to that of Rose and The Doctor.

26. - Top - End - #1436

*Slams hands over ears*

The scottish play

Thanks... Now to work up the motivation to do it.
    I hope you do because I can see it in my head and it's glorious.

27. - Top - End - #1437

If it makes you feel better, their story doesn't really end, just the part of it you're writing about. Ever notice how nobody ever hits "happily ever after" in real life? That isn't because nobody ever overcomes a challenge or succeeds at their goals, it's because that's not really the end in a meaningful way. The "happily ever after" convention is really just saying "this is a satisfying stopping point. For now."

Finish what you started, and then see if there's still an interesting place to take the character in the future. You might even get a sequel out of it.

That isn't to say you shouldn't do either. That one play, for example, wields that corruption as the heart of it's story. You've just got to be aware of it and deliberate about it.
    Who's the Element of tautology now?

I actually have to disagree a little. Where and how you end a story determines what the story is. Romeo and Juliet was five acts long. End it after four and you have a story of young lovers abandoning a decadent but poisonous family feud to be together. Write a sixth act where the tragedy has inspired the Montegues and Capulets to ally together and build a more prosperous city and you have a somewhat bittersweet tale about how one moves beyond guilt and shame to a brighter future. These are three different stories, not three versions of the same story.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-04-02 at 11:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

*Slams hands over ears*

That curse only applies if you're performing in it. Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth. See, everypony is fine.

And may I just say that I think Rainbow Dash being forced to wait in line at the DMV in a silent comedy skit would be utterly spectacular.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

That curse only applies if you're performing in it. Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth. See, everypony is fine.

And may I just say that I think Rainbow Dash being forced to wait in line at the DMV in a silent comedy skit would be utterly spectacular.
    I think something like this would happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2sa2xC13w

30. - Top - End - #1440

If it makes you feel better, their story doesn't really end, just the part of it you're writing about. Ever notice how nobody ever hits "happily ever after" in real life? That isn't because nobody ever overcomes a challenge or succeeds at their goals, it's because that's not really the end in a meaningful way. The "happily ever after" convention is really just saying "this is a satisfying stopping point. For now."

Finish what you started, and then see if there's still an interesting place to take the character in the future. You might even get a sequel out of it.
    You know what? You know that moment in your head when you can do an entire story in a split second and then make the sequel? That just happened. I have a sequel. Thanks a bunch good sir. Thanks a bunch.