New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    It is important to keep in mind that Aang is still responsible for all of the Fire Nation deaths that occur at the hand of Koizilla. He might not be in direct control, but he knowingly unleashed the Avatar; their blood is on his hands.

This doesn't translate directly to killing them, of course, but it's still something which should be noted.
    And it is. Thrice. The next episode has the kid even has nightmares specifically empathizing with the warriors on the boats he destroyed.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I disagree. Aang is but the current embodiment of the spirit of the Avatar. Blaming Aang for the Avatar's and Ocean Spirit's work is not ethically correct. You might as well blame Zhao, who caused the Ocean Spirit to get angry. Or Firelord Ozai, for allowing all those mooks to go to the North Pole. Aang was involved in the chain of events, but he was not the one making the decisions. Had he been in control, he'd have probably acted differently: ice-locking the ships, for example, rather than outright sinking them. He was far less aware of the consequences than Zhao was when he killed the Moon Spirit, and I don't see how anyone's blood can be placed on his hands in that scene.

Grey Wolf
    Aang knowingly unleashed the Avatar State with the understanding that it was going to rain hell on the Fire Nation soldiers. Their deaths are absolutely his responsibility. It's not to say that he directly murdered them himself, or even that he directly willed the spirit to kill them, but it's still his responsibility.

It's akin to the conversation he had with Avatar Kyoshi about the death of Chin the Conquerer. Kyoshi didn't kill him directly; he died because he didn't step out of her way, but she still accepts responsibility for his death despite the fact that one could argue that Chin instigated the conflict in the first place and was thus responsible for anything that happened to him.

If the Avatar State had kicked in without Aang's volition, I'd agree with you, but he clearly "activates" it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    And it is. Thrice. The next episode has the kid even has nightmares specifically empathizing with the warriors on the boats he destroyed.
    I wasn't talking about noting it in the show, but rather in our discussion here.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-19 at 06:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Was randomly flipping channels and saw Korra was playing on Nick. I was happy!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    The Ocean Spirit had already released Aang before going after Zhao.
    ...Damn...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Aang knowingly unleashed the Avatar State with the understanding that it was going to rain hell on the Fire Nation soldiers. Their deaths are absolutely his responsibility. It's not to say that he directly murdered them himself, or even that he directly willed the spirit to kill them, but it's still his responsibility...If the Avatar State had kicked in without Aang's volition, I'd agree with you, but he clearly "activates" it here.
    As established in "The General", and expanded upon throughout Book 2, Aang cannot at that time activate the Avatar state of his own volition. He can wish it would activate, he can choose not to fight the pain and hurt that activate it, but he has no conscious control over when he enters it. The only time he demonstrates conscious control over the Avatar state is in the Book 3 finale, when he chooses to leave it after letting it beat down Firelord Ozai.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

I do find it simultaneously hilarious and scary that Mai is that good that she can incapacitate people with throwing knives without actually killing them.
    I can do that too.. I throw a knife at someone, miss him completely and look stoopid, if not actually selfharming by stabbing myself in the foot... and then my prey falls on the floor holding his sides and laughing at me. there you go, I incapacitated him.
    It is important to keep in mind that Aang is still responsible for all of the Fire Nation deaths that occur at the hand of Koizilla. He might not be in direct control, but he knowingly unleashed the Avatar; their blood is on his hands.
    I fail to see the issue here. If precedent with the Air Nomad counts for something, they were knowingly about to slaughter the entire North Pole population.
    also.. I don't remember it being written in the Avatar Job description that they would bend stuff in such a manner as to never bring any casualties.. they stop wars. instantly.
    sometimes when you do that, you get mooks who die. sometimes it's even someone important (Chin, to name one). that doesn't change the big picture, which is that an era of peace is ushered in whenever they actually pull out the big guns.
    so.. he's offed a few mooks..sad, but...why rise the issue at all?
    and yes, of course it happens offscreen. the intended target for this show is the under 14 demographic. why should we be surprised that they kept the gore and onscreen violence to the minimum necessary to advance the plot?
    It really varies; for example, Zuko burns Toph's feet on contact with his fire, and Aang burns Katara.
    all in all..rather minor events, if we consider the amount of firebending that occurs in each and every episode. IRL even a lit match can cause a fastidious burn.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-20 at 10:00 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    As established in "The General", and expanded upon throughout Book 2, Aang cannot at that time activate the Avatar state of his own volition. He can wish it would activate, he can choose not to fight the pain and hurt that activate it, but he has no conscious control over when he enters it. The only time he demonstrates conscious control over the Avatar state is in the Book 3 finale, when he chooses to leave it after letting it beat down Firelord Ozai.
    Actually, he does intentionally enter the Avatar State at the end of Book 2. Considering Azula's subsequent actions that may not have been the wisest course of action, but he did manage it.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Aang knowingly unleashed the Avatar State with the understanding that it was going to rain hell on the Fire Nation soldiers.
    Zimmerwald makes an excellent point, so I'd ask you to substantiate that he knowingly unleashed the Koizilla. But beyond that, I also need you to support your assertion that he knew the Koizilla would engage in systematic killings. Previous occasions of the Avatar state have been careful to not kill, and thus I don't see how Aang, with his extremely limited knowledge of the spirit world, the Avatar state and the Ocean Spirit would in any way anticipate the bloodthirstiness of the Koizilla.

Their deaths are absolutely his responsibility. It's not to say that he directly murdered them himself, or even that he directly willed the spirit to kill them, but it's still his responsibility.
    So you keep asserting, but don't explain why this would be the case. I continue to disagree with the feeling that because he was in the chain of events that makes him responsible. Whether it was the Avatar state or the Ocean Spirit that made the decision to sink boats, Aang was not involved, and responsibility ends there.

It's akin to the conversation he had with Avatar Kyoshi about the death of Chin the Conquerer. Kyoshi didn't kill him directly; he died because he didn't step out of her way, but she still accepts responsibility for his death despite the fact that one could argue that Chin instigated the conflict in the first place and was thus responsible for anything that happened to him.
    No, it is not the same. Kyoshi had control over the Avatar state, and knew full well that breaking up a continent would be dangerous to anyone near the edge. She is the primary creator of the gouge. Aang could not know that the Avatar and the Ocean spirit would go on a rampage, and had no ability to control their actions. Since both Avatar and Ocean are presumably self-aware, they and no-one else, is responsible for the deaths. Even if Aang brought them forth of his own volition (and I agree with Zimmerwald that it is unlikely), he bears no more responsibility for their actions than, say, Kyoshi's mother, who also unleashed her of her own volition.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Tangent. Anyone else keep misremembering Korra's first line in the series ("I'm the avatar, you gotta deal with it!") as including the word "bitches?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Tangent. Anyone else keep misremembering Korra's first line in the series ("I'm the avatar, you gotta deal with it!") as including the word "bitches?"
    no..but it totally should
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I fail to see the issue here. If precedent with the Air Nomad counts for something, they were knowingly about to slaughter the entire North Pole population.
    Sorry, I missed this earlier. The issue is not whether it was morally justified to kill them. I suppose some may think so, but I am not arguing that and neither is LordVader. No, the point we are discussing is if Aang was being a hypocrite when he refused to kill the Fire Lord when he had engaged in mook killing earlier.

Specifically, LordVader states that Aang was morally responsible for the deaths of the soldiers, and I (and others) am arguing he was not.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I don't think Aang was being a hypocrite because I think his specific hang-up is that he does not wish to kill someone in cold blood, meaning defeating the person and rendering him at your mercy, and then killing him. That's different from when mooks died when Aang was in the heat of battle.

So if while dogfighting with elemental missiles in the air, Ozai accidentally got himself crushed under a tumbling rockface, Aang wouldn't get too hung up over it (for too long).

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    I don't think Aang was being a hypocrite because I think his specific hang-up is that he does not wish to kill someone in cold blood, meaning defeating the person and rendering him at your mercy, and then killing him. That's different from when mooks died when Aang was in the heat of battle.

So if while dogfighting with elemental missiles in the air, Ozai accidentally got himself crushed under a tumbling rockface, Aang wouldn't get too hung up over it (for too long).
    No, that cannot be it, because he can't even bring himself to strike the Melon Lord in the mock invasion battle. He is clearly opposed to all forms of killing.

GW

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No, that cannot be it, because he can't even bring himself to strike the Melon Lord in the mock invasion battle. He is clearly opposed to all forms of killing.

GW
    I think the issue Aang is having is the idea of going into a fight with the intent of killing somebody. He's fought before, he's practiced, lets call it "Aggressive Self Defense", fighting to incapacitate people before they've killed or captured him. He's fought in pursuit of some goal, and if people try to stop him he has no qualms about taking them down.
    But never has a death been his goal. The Fire Nation tanks attacking the northern air temple, their crews may have died, but Aang wasn't trying to kill them, he was trying to get them to stop fighting, it just so happened that the only reasonable way to do that would likely lead to their deaths.

With Ozai, the problem is that hes going in with the intent of killing. Nothing about "It was the only way" or "I just needed them to stop fighting" or "I just knocked them over and they didn't get up". He's being asked to make a conscious decision to end somebody's life.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-04-20 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I missed this earlier. The issue is not whether it was morally justified to kill them. I suppose some may think so, but I am not arguing that and neither is LordVader. No, the point we are discussing is if Aang was being a hypocrite when he refused to kill the Fire Lord when he had engaged in mook killing earlier.

Specifically, LordVader states that Aang was morally responsible for the deaths of the soldiers, and I (and others) am arguing he was not.

Grey Wolf
    gotcha.
    mook killing occurred in a vaste scale battle between troops and armed forces. the avatar state was definitely not something Aang had a firm grip on by any means, irrespective as to whether he triggered it voluntarily or not (also, let's discuss motivation and circumstances here, not just morality..he was a 12 year old kid getting desperately out of options, and being pulled by all sides by 2 god-like spirits, friends, allies and such..). he opened the gate to the avatar state, yes..but the ocean spirit took the ball and ran with it. if Aang had any semblance of control over his actions in avatar state, the Ocean spirit took that away from him.
    in fact one could even say that the occurrence strenghtened his resolve not to revert to killing...if he ever needed a reminder.

also, I would like to point out that the fire nation uniform includes a redshirt. really..what were they thinking?
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-20 at 12:35 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

So... The Interactive Game updated. Important, spoilery info below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Mako and Bolin have pseudo-adopted a street urchin called Skoochy. People are already shipping him with Jinora
    • Zuko's still alive. He stepped down from the throne and his daughter is ruling the Fire Nation. Dante Basco said on twitter a while back that he was doing voices for Korra, and an episode entitled Skeletons in the Closet so that one's answered
    • Aang's face is on the money
    • The guy who invented cars probably started out working for the Cabbage Merchant. No, seriously.

Last edited by John Cribati; 2012-04-20 at 08:48 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm surprised the mechanist didn't play a role in building republic city.
    I do hope Zuko doesn't turn out to be Amon,... I mean..yet another firelord going bat**** crazy evil? boring.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt it. Zuko was the oldest member of Aang's group (I think he was sixteen?) and is probably not going to be leading a revolution sixty/seventy years later. Plus, all things considered, Amon's voice is that of a middle-aged man, not a 70-year-old noble.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

true... also.. Amon is obviously Tay Lee and Sokka's secret lovechild... (what can I say...the guy gets around and she did have the hots for him )
    of course when Suki hears about it she forces Sokka to chose between them and he drops out of his son's life, who then turns into an evil bastard.

(yeah..I don't really believe this..but it would be fun to watch)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

My favoured theory is that Amon is the descendant of the Cabbage Merchant.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My favoured theory is that Amon is the descendant of the Cabbage Merchant.
    Lets see:

Ancestor that had his life ruined by benders multiple times. Check
    Possible connection to someone rich for funds (Satomobiles). Check
    Traveled around the world so he could possibly pick up enough information to effectively fight the benders (the cabbage guy traveled a lot and quite fast). Check

Yeah I'm with you Morty the evidence is quite clear. Amon the Cabbage bender.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Lets see:

Ancestor that had his life ruined by benders multiple times. Check
    Possible connection to someone rich for funds (Satomobiles). Check
    Traveled around the world so he could possibly pick up enough information to effectively fight the benders (the cabbage guy traveled a lot and quite fast). Check

Yeah I'm with you Morty the evidence is quite clear. Amon the Cabbage bender.
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Cabbage_Corp
    Here's the possible corporation owned by Cabbage Merchant.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    So... The Interactive Game updated. Important, spoilery info below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm calling it now: the Northern Water Tribe Council Member is the mask guy. The guy has the looks.

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

so apparently republic city is powered by lightning benders. also, mako can apparently bend lightning, at least in peaceful conditions.

raises pro bending questions now.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    so apparently republic city is powered by lightning benders. also, mako can apparently bend lightning, at least in peaceful conditions.
    Not sure I like that. In the original series lightning was a very rare technique only the best firebenders could perform. We only ever saw the Fire Nation royals do it, and even then Zuko never managed it. For a bunch of random firebenders to be doing it to fuel power plant seems... quite the step down from that.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

**** just got real! Awesome episode! Though the revelation was pretty predictable if you saw the series final to the last series.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    **** just got real! Awesome episode! Though the revelation was pretty predictable if you saw the series final to the last series.
    You really think so? I would have been surprised had I not been reading this thread and seen people make the connection based on a 1 second panel with Amon holding the guy's head in the same way. I mean I never would have made the assumption that was going to be what happened simply because we were given word of god (or close to it) at the end of last season that the chi bending required the power of a fully realized avatar. Apparently they backtracked on that and are making "How did someone who's not the Avatar do this?" a new mystery.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

What!? when!? where!?

Did I miss it?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah what? Is the the third episode out already?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

30. - Top - End - #480
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Yeah what? Is the the third episode out already?
    Yeah it aired at 11:00, it just ended 15 minutes ago.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?