New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yea, I think its going to be awhile before the Avatarverse gets an Alternating Current or a bending equivalent, it seems they mostly figured out this stuff through bending first and science second.
    At least not until Avatar Tesla shows up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Which would be the most awesome Fire Avatar ever. I mean really, Avatar Tesla, the guy who tried to sell a death ray and such, being able to shoot lightning from his fingers.

by the way, since an Earth Avatar will be next, who do think they will be like? bookish, calm and scholarly? We've already had a lighthearted spiritual carefree monk who had trouble with earth, we have a forceful reckless impulsive water tribe girl who has trouble with air, my bet is that the next Earth avatar will be a calm rational, methodical scholar who has trouble with bending fire because he isn't good at expressing himself or his emotions, and would also be a little cold (pardon the pun.) if you will.

either that or some stuck up guy who is bad at being flexible or at relaxing or whatever, and would have a hard time bending water because he is a hard-working reliable, dependable workaholic. but that would suck and I would much prefer the scholar.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roboto View Post
    Perhaps the technology in the Avatarverse progressed differently than ours. I mean, since they have people who can produce large amounts of electricity for apparently extended amounts of time, they didn't have to figure out the whole "current = rotating electric field" thing, just like how in the original series, the engines and balloons were powered by firebending instead of coal or wood. They'll eventually figure it out, but until then they have ways of powering their lightbulbs.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering how it's viable to wear your opponent down as a strategy in the three-minute Pro-Bending rounds, but it's possible to work a full (I'm assuming) shift at a power plant, while performing constant bending.
    Just want to add, having done some Taekwondo sparring previously, that 3 minutes is actually a very good length for a round. I can go out running for an hour and be fine, but be breathing really hard after a 3 minute Taekwondo round. It's just a lot more tiring when you have to be aware of an opponent and ready to react at every second.

Which would be the most awesome Fire Avatar ever. I mean really, Avatar Tesla, the guy who tried to sell a death ray and such, being able to shoot lightning from his fingers.

by the way, since an Earth Avatar will be next, who do think they will be like? bookish, calm and scholarly? We've already had a lighthearted spiritual carefree monk who had trouble with earth, we have a forceful reckless impulsive water tribe girl who has trouble with air, my bet is that the next Earth avatar will be a calm rational, methodical scholar who has trouble with bending fire because he isn't good at expressing himself or his emotions, and would also be a little cold (pardon the pun.) if you will.

either that or some stuck up guy who is bad at being flexible or at relaxing or whatever, and would have a hard time bending water because he is a hard-working reliable, dependable workaholic. but that would suck and I would much prefer the scholar.
    In theory the next avatar should also have trouble with air-bending. Historically it has been the element most opposed to the avatar's natural element and Korra is just weird in being more like an earthbedner than a waterbender, despite starting from the Southern Water Tribe. I would guess the next avatar would be calm, unlike Korra, but also very orderly and stubborn about doing things in their proper manner. He would therefore find it difficult to embrace the freedom that comes with airbending.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

i will not pardon it *holds ruler menacingly*

though it does make me think about something. we know firebenders can control and redirect heat, so i wonder if we'll ever see a fire bender freeze something.
    would definitely be interesting to see in a pro bending match, since they don't have rules about the firebenders making ice.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

I would read (or hell, write) such a story with anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    In theory the next avatar should also have trouble with air-bending. Historically it has been the element most opposed to the avatar's natural element and Korra is just weird in being more like an earthbedner than a waterbender, despite starting from the Southern Water Tribe. I would guess the next avatar would be calm, unlike Korra, but also very orderly and stubborn about doing things in their proper manner. He would therefore find it difficult to embrace the freedom that comes with airbending.
    Historically that might have been the case most of the time, but exceptions are no doubt abound in the very long line of avatars. Narratively speaking, having the next one also have trouble with the element either of the previous two we've seen on screen a lot (Aang and Korra) also had trouble with would be the more boring option. Which would leave the Earth avatar with Fire or Water -- and the Fire avatar with the leftover option.

Personally, I think it'd be hilarious of the Fire avatar would have trouble bending his/her native element and thus with either discovering he/she can bend at all, thus developing other abilities and skills first. Like if a less comic-relief-y Sokka suddenly found out he could shoot lightning, twist metal and sprout icicles.

On that note, I was always a bit sad Airbending did not have any special subdivisions shown, unlike Lightning/Sand/Metalbending and the healing part of Waterbending.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    though it does make me think about something. we know firebenders can control and redirect heat, so i wonder if we'll ever see a fire bender freeze something.
    would definitely be interesting to see in a pro bending match, since they don't have rules about the firebenders making ice.
    don't think so.
    it's a waterbender thing and, more importantly, it would be hard to "realize" visually. waterbenders throw water at someone/thing and then freeze that, creating a block of ice around it/them. the object or victim then thaws out gradually. a firebender could only...remove heat..which would not be visually appreciable (certainly not in a cartoon).. and would, incidentally, kill a living being outright (or at the very least put them in cryogenic state..which sounds a bit out of tune with the rest of the show).

since we now know that bending can be taken away and given (Aang is given energybending in a matter of seconds).. would it be possible at all that the next avatar was born a non-bender? after all..once he's recognized he's going to get tutoring anyway..learning 4 elements instead of 3 isn't much of a big deal for the avatar
    or weirder yet.. an energy bender..
    now that energybending is back in the world of humans, it's entirely possible for the circle to be broken and the balance to need rewriting..which would be a pretty nice plot for the next book with Korra (and also tie in nicely with the idea that the next book could be called energy, since we have run out of elements)
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-23 at 10:14 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I think firebenders can insert heat, but not withdraw it, with waterbenders having the opposite ability. Well, maybe. Have we ever seen waterbenders turning water into steam without a heat source?

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Personally, I think firebenders can insert heat, but not withdraw it, with waterbenders having the opposite ability. Well, maybe. Have we ever seen waterbenders turning water into steam without a heat source?
    Kinda. We have seen them whip up cloud covers (Aang and Katara on Appa, and the swamp guys when on the ships).

Edit: on the other hand, they can only manipulate water. A firebender can remove heat from anything (see: firelord 'I wipped out the airbenders' whats-his-name cooling down a volcano).

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-04-23 at 10:27 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    don't think so.
    it's a waterbender thing and, more importantly, it would be hard to "realize" visually. waterbenders throw water at someone/thing and then freeze that, creating a block of ice around it/them. the object or victim then thaws out gradually. a firebender could only...remove heat..which would not be visually appreciable (certainly not in a cartoon).. and would, incidentally, kill a living being outright (or at the very least put them in cryogenic state..which sounds a bit out of tune with the rest of the show).

since we now know that bending can be taken away and given (Aang is given energybending in a matter of seconds).. would it be possible at all that the next avatar was born a non-bender? after all..once he's recognized he's going to get tutoring anyway..learning 4 elements instead of 3 isn't much of a big deal for the avatar
    or weirder yet.. an energy bender..
    now that energybending is back in the world of humans, it's entirely possible for the circle to be broken and the balance to need rewriting..which would be a pretty nice plot for the next book with Korra (and also tie in nicely with the idea that the next book could be called energy, since we have run out of elements)
    Well, unless Energy-bending picks up a use besides Removing Bending, I'm not sure how well it fits with the others.
    Also, it looks like the Avatar is the Avatar from birth (Remember, Korra was using 3 elements as a young child). Taking Roku as the "Standard" avatar, it looks like the spiritual authorities of whichever nation is next in line identify the Avatar (probably through omens and the like), let them grow up normally until they are Sixteen (Letting them master their native element), then inform them of their avatar-ness and send them off to be trained. Aang is an odd case because the War with the fire nation messed things up.

Korra is also odd because she skipped the "Spend sixteen years living normally" phase. She was using three elements early on, and then spent her time livign in the White Lotus compound. Though she was born to the Water Tribe, Korra does not have a "Native" element, she's just as much an earth and firebender as she is a waterbender.

Hrmm, we know that there is a cultural component to Bending. Maybe Republic City is screwing things up. The Avatar is supposed to represent the World, four elements built into one. With Republic City as the cultural center of the entire world, Korra is now embodying the culture of Republic City, so at the age when most Avatars would be bending their "Native" element, she's got three.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Sozin took part of the heat out of an erupting volcano, channeling it out his other hand into the air.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

don't think so.
    volcano fighting guy pulled it off. using a similar stance and having the heat channeled into a fireblast in the other hand would probably be distinct enough.

but you're probably right. it would be odd for the show's style to do something so... shonen-y?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure if this has been mentioned as a possibility regarding Amon ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy conspiracy theory time. It was established that Zolt knew something big was going down. (Otherwise he wouldn't have been hiring extra muscle). The "something big" was probably the Revelation. Would it be possible that Zolt is in cahoots with Amon, and the "energybending" was just an act to stir up support for Amon? They do have common interests (antagonistic to the police and not much liking the new Avatar).

The big hole with that theory is Bolin. He obviously didn't know what was going on. However, we do know that the Revelation was actually interrupted by Korra, so we don't know for 100% certain what Amon had planned. It's possible that a flashy rescue by the Avatar was exactly what he was hoping for - "See! They're scared!" - "Bad Avatar, stop inciting riots!" - with the image of a bender begging for his powers (and Amon benevolently granting him his wish if he takes a message back to the authorities) as a backup plan.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned as a possibility regarding Amon ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy conspiracy theory time. It was established that Zolt knew something big was going down. (Otherwise he wouldn't have been hiring extra muscle). The "something big" was probably the Revelation. Would it be possible that Zolt is in cahoots with Amon, and the "energybending" was just an act to stir up support for Amon? They do have common interests (antagonistic to the police and not much liking the new Avatar).

The big hole with that theory is Bolin. He obviously didn't know what was going on. However, we do know that the Revelation was actually interrupted by Korra, so we don't know for 100% certain what Amon had planned. It's possible that a flashy rescue by the Avatar was exactly what he was hoping for - "See! They're scared!" - "Bad Avatar, stop inciting riots!" - with the image of a bender begging for his powers (and Amon benevolently granting him his wish if he takes a message back to the authorities) as a backup plan.
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe, but that requires Amon to not actually believe his own rhetoric. His rhetoric has been "all Bending is evil!", so letting a Bender go wouldn't fit with that. The True Believers in the Equalists wouldn't stand for it.
    Also, I really don't see Zolt's motivation for going along with this plan. He would have to never bend again in order to keep up the Charade.

People seem to be jumping through lots of hoops to find a way for Amon to not actually be Energybending (If he's not, then I think he's doing super chi-blocking, which has the same effect).
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-04-23 at 11:28 AM.
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Korra is a min-maxer - she dumped her mental ability scores and the spiritual side of her gestalt for early entry into the three schools of bending she thought were the most powerful.
    Not necessarily the most powerful, just the 3 elements that were next to come in the training cycle.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

So I only just got to watch the third episode. Am I the only thinking that it's possible that Amon

Spoiler
    Show
    is really Mako's/Bolin's father?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-04-23 at 11:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Bugbear in the Playground

not all spirit are benevolent, and knowledge can have its price....

so Amon
    Spoiler
    Show

could have had his face taken in exchange for energy bending knowledge?
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

So I only just got to watch the third episode. Am I the only thinking that it's possible that Amon

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would be kind of cliché. Frankly I kinda want a story where the bad guy isn't related to the main characters other than as the antagonist.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would be kind of cliché. Frankly I kinda want a story where the bad guy isn't related to the main characters other than as the antagonist.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    not all spirit are benevolent, and knowledge can have its price....

so Amon
    Spoiler
    Show

could have had his face taken in exchange for energy bending knowledge?
    debunked several times already, further up the thread.. Amon still has eyes, which would not be the case if Koh had nibbled at his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    this is... actually a very real possibility
    even though Amon does state that none in his family were benders..which of course could be a lie... so..the very tale that makes it possible also needs to be false for it to be possible..
    insta-headache

P.S. then again, we've already been there, with the big baddie being the father of one of the good guys.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-23 at 12:57 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

debunked several times already, further up the thread.. Amon still has eyes, which would not be the case if Koh had nibbled at his face.

even though Amon does state that none in his family were benders..which of course could be a lie... so..the very tale that makes it possible also needs to be false for it to be possible..
    insta-headache

P.S. then again, we've already been there, with the big baddie being the father of one of the good guys.
    Debunked might be too strong. It's not likely, especially given that Koh has provided no reason to suddenly mess up the cycle, but it's not 100% ruled out either.

As for Amon, I hope that the major aspects of his story are true. I think it's much more interesting if he isn't just an evil liar but rather someone who truly thinks that bending is a bad thing. Him being a regular bender rather than an energy bender is possible, but would be a little disappointing, since it would be so hypocritical.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Debunked might be too strong. It's not likely, especially given that Koh has provided no reason to suddenly mess up the cycle, but it's not 100% ruled out either.
    Nothing can be "100% ruled out". That's how conspiracy theories survive: because you can always add yet another ad-hoc explanation when something doesn't fit. The idea that Koh is involved was interesting because someone with no face would use a mask. Except we know have evidence that Amon has eyes, so Koh did not steal his face. That was the only positive evidence for the idea, and now it is gone. Yes, you can start adding other details like "face so burnt he cannot emote" (nope, most emotion is carried in the eyes: if he can see, he can emote) or "Very, very good at keeping a straight face" which would fit, but have no evidence whatsoever. We don't know that Amon even went to the spirit world, no reason to think Koh is involved, or that he wants to harm the Avatar. Since there is no evidence, it is 100% debunked, in the sense that all the evidence in favour of the idea has been shown to not support it.

Could further evidence change back the idea into a theory again? Yes, but new evidence will be required. For example, Amon mentioning the name of the spirit that taught him, or knowledge of the spirit world beyond the attention-grabbing sob story.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

22. - Top - End - #712

It may (or may not; we don't exactly have a huge sample size) be worth noting that both of the Avatars whose training-in-progress we've observed in noticeable detail have had trouble with the base element of the previous Avatar of the opposite sex.

And now that I've said that, it occurs to me that Roku might have said something I've forgotten in Avatar and the Fire Lord about which one vexed him. Oh, well. It's not as if I'm putting much stock in this.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is certainly cliché, but story-wise I figure it fits better here than in tons of other media that seem to play specifically into clichés a lot of the time. Besides, despite all that we may want, it's the creators who decide in the end what's what and who's who in the show.

insta-headache

True, but
    Spoiler
    Show
    it is a possibility that if that is the case, Bolin and Mako became benders afterwards. Or Amon is simply performing truthbending.

It does seem much less likely narratively speaking when you take into account something like this happened before, though in that case the good guy son only became a good guy late into the series.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-04-23 at 01:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is the big piece of evidence FOR Koh being the culprit: Koh steals faces that show emotion, what do masks allow a user to do?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

we know that because first Guru Pathik explains to Aang how he can't reach avatar state on account of his chi being blocked in his uhm...5th chakra.. (and all the while Aang can still do regular bending of elementS)
    whilst in the last episode Aang says, and I quote: "I took your firebending away"
    and does so by energybending the stuff outta him.
    as I said... 2 very different things.
    I still don't see it. Chakra control is pretty clearly "bending the energy within ourselves" which is a direct quote from the lion turtle. What I'm saying is Guru Pathik is an energy bender, and that bending another person's energy is like the metal/lightning/blood of energy bending.

It just seems bizarre to me that there would be personal "bending" energy and chi as individual things that also happen to be blockable by hitting the same pressure points. And all energy bending we've seen goes straight for the chakras. Them being separate just seems way too complicated.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-04-23 at 01:47 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Here is the big piece of evidence FOR Koh being the culprit: Koh steals faces that show emotion, what do masks allow a user to do?
    So, we have gone from "he wears a mask because he came in contact with Koh" to "he survived Koh because he wears a mask". Notice how there is no possible evidence that would disprove this. Since it is not falsifiable, it is not a theory. As I explained above.

And no, that doesn't work. A mask doesn't hide your eyes, as we saw in the last episode. If you are horrified, scared, amused or any other number of emotions, those emotions will show up on the eyes and for someone looking directly at the eyes those emotions would be easy to pick. And you can bet that Koh is very good at picking up on emotions, and would be watching the eyes.

It also doesn't address why Koh would be willing to participate, how Amon knew to enter the spirit world, and who to talk to, and how he knew to wear a mask. Or even if Koh knows how to energy bend.

Grey Wolf

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    So, we have gone from "he wears a mask because he came in contact with Koh" to "he survived Koh because he wears a mask". Notice how there is no possible evidence that would disprove this. Since it is not falsifiable, it is not a theory. As I explained above.

And no, that doesn't work. A mask doesn't hide your eyes, as we saw in the last episode. If you are horrified, scared, amused or any other number of emotions, those emotions will show up on the eyes and for someone looking directly at the eyes those emotions would be easy to pick. And you can bet that Koh is very good at picking up on emotions, and would be watching the eyes.

It also doesn't address why Koh would be willing to participate, how Amon knew to enter the spirit world, and who to talk to, and how he knew to wear a mask. Or even if Koh knows how to energy bend.

Grey Wolf
    Furthermore, even if we interpret "mask" as "perfect emotion-hider", it's still not evidence for Koh's involvement. It would (not "does"; remember, we're working from an unlikely assumption) allow Koh to be involved without horrific consequences for Amon, but I don't see that it makes Koh any more likely to have become involved.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I still don't see it. Chakra control is pretty clearly "bending the energy within ourselves" which is a direct quote from the lion turtle. What I'm saying is Guru Pathik is an energy bender, and that bending another person's energy is like the metal/lightning/blood of energy bending.

It just seems bizarre to me that there would be personal "bending" energy and chi as individual things that also happen to be blockable by hitting the same pressure points. And all energy bending we've seen goes straight for the chakras. Them being separate just seems way too complicated.
    Continuing this line of thought, I think anyone could potentially master energy bending. It's less of a fifth element, and more spiritual enlightenment.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

'Cmon, thubby, why do you have to punish everyone for making little jokes?

It may (or may not; we don't exactly have a huge sample size) be worth noting that both of the Avatars whose training-in-progress we've observed in noticeable detail have had trouble with the base element of the previous Avatar of the opposite sex.
    No, Roku had trouble with water, while Avatar Kurruk, the waterbending avatar before Korra, was male.

Even if Spirit Bending is learnable by anyone, then who taught it to Amon? No way that an art that was lost for thousands of years was rediscovered that randomly. And by "lost" I mean available to people other than the avatar. Remember, in the era before the avatar normal mortals could bend energy.

I wonder what energybending originally did, before there was any elemental bending to remove? Maybe we'll find out if:
    Spoiler
    Show

Korra gets her bending taken away, leaving only the spiritual aspect of the avatar, so she needs to learn how to be more spiritual and how to fight without bending to defeat Amon.

I don't think it's very likely, but it would certainly be interesting.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

People seem to be jumping through lots of hoops to find a way for Amon to not actually be Energybending (If he's not, then I think he's doing super chi-blocking, which has the same effect).
    It's because he wears a mask. As a wise man once said, people in masks cannot be trusted.