New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VII: The Mosh Pit Don't Start 'Til We Walk In

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Heh. I'm a bit disappointed, actually, but I think that's just the high expectations talking. It's a bit short, and it hasn't quite got the same aggressiveness as Wintersun the album. Also I think Jari listened to too much Nightwish while he was producing the album.
    Yeah this about how I feel as well. I thought it was good, but definitely not on the same level as Wintersun was. It just wasn't what I expected after such a long time.

On a different note, I went to a concert in Austin a couple weeks ago to see Nightwish and Kamelot. The concert was pretty freaking good. Both bands played really well, especially considering they both have new singers now. Kamelot's singer, Tommy, did a very good job of sharing duties as frontman with Thomas and his voice fits in very well with their style. I wasn't quite as impressed with the singer touring with Nightwish right now, though I thought she got better as the night went on. Regardless, it was a good show and I really enjoyed it.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    I wasn't quite as impressed with the singer touring with Nightwish right now, though I thought she got better as the night went on. Regardless, it was a good show and I really enjoyed it.
    Olzon left Nightwish? I didn't even know that. That's unfortunate. I rather like her style.

Also sounds like they've got Floor Jansen now. Which is okay. She's got a good voice too. I actually like her in After Forever.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #574

Olzon left Nightwish? I didn't even know that. That's unfortunate. I rather like her style.

Also sounds like they've got Floor Jansen now. Which is okay. She's got a good voice too. I actually like her in After Forever.
    Apparently it was pretty sudden. She played a show one night and left the band the next day. I was pretty disappointed; I liked her a lot.

Floor wasn't bad, but she didn't impress me either. She sounded off pitch a lot, but someone else mentioned that could have been caused by her still learning the material. She had only been with Nightwish for two weeks at that time.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I do like Floor, but I've been a little disappointed with the live material I've seen with her. She seems like a good fit for the band, though: she should be able to do both Tarja and Anette-era songs naturally.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    The first three are the sort of competently executed but somewhat boilerplate thrash that I like to see on a concert bill to provide a solid moshing set before the band I'm actually there to see, but wouldn't really seek out or buy for my own music collection.

Coroner I quite like. Punishment for Decadence has been moving up my list of thrash to acquire for a while now.

Holy Moses, by contrast, are punky enough to provoke a somewhat negative reaction from me. Not really my thing.

Incidentally, your opinion was one of the ones I was most interested in hearing with regard to my brother's EP. Given what I know of your musical preferences, I was trying to decide whether the riffs and general instrumental parts (save perhaps the breakdown at the end of "Mind Spike") would be sufficiently up your alley to make the somewhat -core vocals and at places silly lyrics forgivable, or if you would just say "ew, metalcore" and turn up your nose at the entire thing.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    The first three are the sort of competently executed but somewhat boilerplate thrash that I like to see on a concert bill to provide a solid moshing set before the band I'm actually there to see, but wouldn't really seek out or buy for my own music collection.

Coroner I quite like. Punishment for Decadence has been moving up my list of thrash to acquire for a while now.

Holy Moses, by contrast, are punky enough to provoke a somewhat negative reaction from me. Not really my thing.

Incidentally, your opinion was one of the ones I was most interested in hearing with regard to my brother's EP. Given what I know of your musical preferences, I was trying to decide whether the riffs and general instrumental parts (save perhaps the breakdown at the end of "Mind Spike") would be sufficiently up your alley to make the somewhat -core vocals and at places silly lyrics forgivable, or if you would just say "ew, metalcore" and turn up your nose at the entire thing.
    I would not call Deathrow boilerplate, they're pretty damn technical, but I guess it's a taste thing.

As for your brother's EP. You gave me two options. I either a) enjoy the riffs, and thus am okay with listening to music with -core vocals, or b) am overwhelmed by the -core elements, and ignore the riffs. Instead of picking one of these, I'm gonna go for secret option c) I didn't like the riffs.

Sorry, the riffs were not up my alley at all. They were fairly standard metalcore riffs (which is not a bad thing for a metalcore band, just not what I'd listen to), and there weren't very many of them. In fact, there was basically no more than 2 riffs (not counting bridges/breaks) per song, and that's just not enough for me to really enjoy a song. Sorry .

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

I would not call Deathrow boilerplate, they're pretty damn technical, but I guess it's a taste thing.
    Yeah, it's a taste thing, not a technical thing. The riffs are certainly complex and numerous, but they just didn't really stick out for me. Eh.

As for your brother's EP. You gave me two options. I either a) enjoy the riffs, and thus am okay with listening to music with -core vocals, or b) am overwhelmed by the -core elements, and ignore the riffs. Instead of picking one of these, I'm gonna go for secret option c) I didn't like the riffs.

Sorry, the riffs were not up my alley at all. They were fairly standard metalcore riffs (which is not a bad thing for a metalcore band, just not what I'd listen to), and there weren't very many of them. In fact, there was basically no more than 2 riffs (not counting bridges/breaks) per song, and that's just not enough for me to really enjoy a song. Sorry .
    That's fair, and sort of what I meant by the second option. I wouldn't expect you to just flat out ignore riffs. I see what you mean about there being only about 2 riffs per song. When there is a third it's usually just a key change/tempo increase on one of the others. It is interesting to hear the riffs described as standard metalcore riffs, but I think at least part of that is a personal bias on my part. My little brother is the guitarist and shares a lot of my personal tastes especially when compared to the rest of the band*, plus y'know, family and all that, so I tend to think of the riffs as coming from a more musically sophisticated place than the parts that he doesn't write.

*The drummer, who was a friend of ours for years before the band was a thing is the closest to us musically. His comfort zone is very much in the realm of metalcore, but we can at least get him to meet us halfway on Maiden, Priest, and Iced Earth. The bassist is something of a hired gun, not much to be said one way or the other. I like the singer as a person, but I think it'll ultimately be better for the band when he leaves to go back to Australia after the release show. His insistence on covering Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" instead of "The Ripper" by Priest tells me that it was only a matter of time.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I like the singer as a person, but I think it'll ultimately be better for the band when he leaves to go back to Australia after the release show. His insistence on covering Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" instead of "The Ripper" by Priest tells me that it was only a matter of time.
    Well, dealing with Halford's vocals isn't easy.
    But that's not the real reason behind the choice, right?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

New Kamelot album out. I totally did not even know they were making one.

Wonder how the new guy will turn out.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #581

New Kamelot album out. I totally did not even know they were making one.

Wonder how the new guy will turn out.
    It's not bad, but it's not great either. Not really any songs I didn't like, but there also weren't really any that stood out as fantastic to me. I was a little disappointed, but they just haven't been able to live up to their own past releases. This album sounds too much like a Nightwish releases. Everything is too perfectly blended and it seems to lack as much emotion.

As for the new guy, Tommy sounds great, but it sounds like he's trying to impersonate Khan on some tracks. Iknow they sounds similar, but he seems like they're limiting him from some things he does well that Khan couldn't. Hopefully they'll mesh together better over time and sound more natural on their next release.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

That's pretty much my thoughts exactly, yeah.

The new guy does sound a lot like Khan, doesn't he? He's pretty good. And the album isn't bad, actually. Certainly better than Poetry for the Poisoned, and maybe not quite as good as Ghost Opera. Actually it reminds me of Ghost Opera quite a bit. But no single song really stands out.

Also do they realise they now have two songs called Solitaire? Surely that's not on purpose. It freaked my little auto-tagging widget right the hell out when I loaded the album.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

I liked the new Kamelot. It'd be nice if the new vocalist didn't ape Khan as much, but it's a pretty enjoyable listen! Unsurprisingly still fails to top The Black Halo though.

Currently listening to Time I. Only on "Sons of Winter and Stars" but it's not blowing my mind. I'm not as crazy about the s/t, but the first two tracks of that are like, half the time of "Sons of Winter and Stars" alone and are a more engaging introductory punch than it. I feel like the riffing isn't intense, Jari went too much for orchestration and typical "epicness". It actually brings to mind Kamelot and how Kamelot does orchestration but has guitars that actually sound... y'know... metal. I'm just being mean now.

Also LOL at it being part 1. Seriously, Dødsengel released a 2 1/2 hour double album in a single year, and with all his money, Jari only pulls out 40+ minutes. Good one pal.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I liked the new Kamelot. It'd be nice if the new vocalist didn't ape Khan as much, but it's a pretty enjoyable listen! Unsurprisingly still fails to top The Black Halo though.
    I actually like the fact that he sounds quite similar to Roy.
    Besides, if he sounded different, everyone would complain. ERMAHGERD OLD KERMERLERT ERS BERTER NU KERMERLERT SUX COME BAK ROY.
    Then again, I've heard quite a lot of people complain about the fact that he sounds too similar Roy as well.
    Meh, I guess you can't please everyone.

The guy has massive shoes to fill in, but he's doing a lot better then I could have hoped for.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-05 at 05:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

He is, but if they have a different vocalist... why not have a different vocalist?

Time I was boring.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Time I was boring.
    Well, I guess that makes all of us. And by 'us' I mean 'human beings,' at least those that aren't Wintersun fanboys. Honestly, except for that one moment in Sons of Winter and Stars (EMBRACE THE STARS!!!) - which is still not nearly as good as the best moments in the s/t - the album has no highlights.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess that makes all of us. And by 'us' I mean 'human beings,' at least those that aren't Wintersun fanboys. Honestly, except for that one moment in Sons of Winter and Stars (EMBRACE THE STARS!!!) - which is still not nearly as good as the best moments in the s/t - the album has no highlights.
    Yeah. It makes me want to revisit the debut at least, so there's that. Haha.

Sometimes I just listen to "Winter Madness" for the solo, maybe I'll actually get through the whole album for once in a long time.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

19. - Top - End - #589

After listening to Kamelot a few more times, I definitely enjoy the album. It's well done and better than Poetry was, in my opinion. I still think it doesn't have any one song that stands out as an "instant classic" though.
    And about their new singer, he is really good live so that helps too.

As for Time 1, I was pretty disappointed. Haven't listened to it since the first couple times after buying it because nothing ever really caught my attention except for the orchestral pieces.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Welp.

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like i'm not attending Paganfest for the first time in years.
    Sad that they're not producing a better line-up.

(Yes, Alestorm and Arkona are both decent, just not uh, headliner material)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm still find it hilarious, that there's a metal band that's taken the name Bornholm, a danish island known for its smoked hering and beautiful nature - we refer to it as "the isle of sunshine"

Actually, there's a few more bands with danish names, like Usynlig Tumult which means Invisible Uproar, and Borgmester Dahl meaning Mayor Dahl (Dahl being a name).

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post

That line-up is a bit odd.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Arkona live. Seems like it could be awesome. Slovo was a pretty excellent album.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

He is, but if they have a different vocalist... why not have a different vocalist?

Time I was boring.
    Well, I don't know about you, but I don't wan't Kamelot to have a new vocalist.

Welp.

Spoiler
    Show

Hey now, Wolfchant are awesome.
    Actually... it's the only band there I'd like to see live.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-07 at 04:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Well, I don't know about you, but I don't wan't Kamelot to have a new vocalist.
    And it's not as if he's bad or anything. I'm perfectly happy that he keeps on sounding like that.

Plus it means he can hopefully do their previous albums justice.

The oddest thing: I think Time I is growing on me. I was just listening to something else entirely and I found myself going "Okay this is cool and all but I really want to hear Time again". It's... weird.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp.

Spoiler
    Show

if i lived 200 miles to the north i would be so happy

damn france's lack of pagan metal

admittedly theres gunna be a decent fest in january but still not of Pagan fest levelss
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

26. - Top - End - #596

Listened to Cradle's "The Manticore and Other Horrors" today and I feel like Cradle is getting back on track again. I mean with most of Darkly(some songs were alright) and Midnight in the Labyrinth(As a classical fan that was horrible to endure) they were getting a little... Off track? But now it sounds like Dusk... And her embrace, Damnation and a Day and Midian again. I love it.
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-11-10 at 02:30 AM.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

27. - Top - End - #597
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just finished listening to Silverthorn, and I quite enjoyed it. But something was nagging me the whole time, and I finally figured out what it is.

A Kamelot album without Simone Simons!? WAT.

Also, am I really the only person who found Ghost Opera kind of...bland?
    Last edited by Marillion; 2012-11-11 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    Listened to Cradle's "The Manticore and Other Horrors" today and I feel like Cradle is getting back on track again. I mean with most of Darkly(some songs were alright) and Midnight in the Labyrinth(As a classical fan that was horrible to endure) they were getting a little... Off track? But now it sounds like Dusk... And her embrace, Damnation and a Day and Midian again. I love it.
    Well, with this premise, I'm certainly gonna give it a chance!
    (but Damnation isn't in the same league of Dusk, Cruelty and Midian )
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-11 at 04:25 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Well, with this premise, I'm certainly gonna give it a chance!
    (but Damnation isn't in the same league of Dusk, Cruelty and Midian )
    Yeah granted Damnation isn't in the same league, but it does have it's moments.

My favourite part of Cradle has always been the little moments in songs where it's soft and sweet, almost like the calm inside the storm. Like here, here and here as a few examples. They make the entire song more exciting for me.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone dig Kowloon Walled City?

They're pretty great.