New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Adventures in the Nentir Vale (IC)

With the tide of battle turning in his companions favor Rolan begins to relax slightly. Noticing one of the wolves stalking away from his companions, Rolan sets the power of his mind upon it, not wanting to give it a chance to escape.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Mind Thrust
    vs Will: (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[15]
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon turns his attention to the remaining wolf within reach. He subconciously reaches out to it with his own mind, reminding it that the rest are abandoning it and it is now alone to face the "prey" that has killed most of it's pack. This realization hits it like the blade of a sharp halberd.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Demoralizing Strike on Ravenous Wolf 3 Attack vs AC - (1d20+6)[15]. A hit does Damage - (1d10+4)[14] and it takes a -2 penalty to all defenses until the end of my next turn.

3. - Top - End - #63

Running away? That wasn't very sporting at all!

But... the others were already slogging through the mud after it, so Matilda figured they probably had that side of things covered nicely. Instead, the rogue turned her attention to the nearer - and healthier - beast.

Humming a few bars of something unidentifiable, she lunges forward, leading the motion with her dagger's gory tip.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to N13.

Attack Ravenous Wolf 3 with a Piercing Strike.
    To-Hit: (1d20+11)[18] vs Reflex (Combat Advantage included)
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]
    Sneak Attack Damage: (2d8)[2]
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

4. - Top - End - #64

Seeking to take advantage of the lone wolf, Rolan unleashes a mental assault on the creature. The storm must be causing some sort of interference with the psion's powers as the wolf suffers no ill effects from Rolan's psychic stab.

Eldon reaches out with his own mind, shattering what little resolve the creature has left. He then follows up his mind games by cleaving the wolf's torso with his halberd. The wolf slumps to the ground while blood and gore seep out into the mud.

Somewhat disappointed that Eldon had already done in the livelier wolf, Matilda is left to deal with an already damaged foe. Wading through the muck she closes the distance in a hurry. The wolf clearly sees her coming but is incapable of defending itself. Matilda lunges at the immobile wolf and "pokes" it between the eyes. It collapses into the mud, a slight gurgle escaping as it falls.

Once the last wolf is felled and the adrenaline rush passes you remember that your standing out in a sleet storm. In the distance you see the tower doors open and a figure clinging to a heavy cloak emerges. The individual beckons for you all to come over.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well done! The wolves are vanquished and combat is over. You have each gained 125 XP. Also a side note to Selinia I changed your target to the gray wolf since dariathalon already killed R3. I hope that's ok.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-06-29 at 01:05 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel hums a wordless tune as the last wolf collapses into the mud. He walks as quickly as his short legs and the thick mud allow to the door and the person waiting.

"Well, that was interesting wouldn't you say? Wrenndel Ringle at yer service." He holds out his hand, his wand now stowed in it's case on his belt.
    Infernion - Dragonborn Warlock - iPlay4e Sheet

6. - Top - End - #66

The woman who appears to be in her late sixties is somewhat taken aback by Wrenndel's swift approach. She recovers quickly and extends a gloved hand for the gnome to shake.

"A pleasure to meet you Wrenndel Ringle. My name is Treona."
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-06-29 at 01:25 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

7. - Top - End - #67

PirateCaptain

"The pleasure is all mine, I assure you madam. Might we we speak more out of this cold rain?"

8. - Top - End - #68

Matilda smiles and waves a hand dismissively, "Yeah, yeah, nice to meet you Miss Treona. Now," the girl edges forward past Wrenndel, trying to get a glimpse of the inside of the tower, "I was lead to believe there would be a roast in here. You do have a roast, right?"

Homebrew:

9. - Top - End - #69

PirateCaptain

"You will have to excuse Mathilda. She can be a bit...short...when she is hungry."

Once Wrenndel and Treona as inside and more pleasantries are exchanged, Wrenndel asks. "What might a lady such as yourself be doing out in the woods alone? We thought these ruins would be abandoned"

10. - Top - End - #70

"Of course, you poor dears come right in and warm yourselves by the hearth."

When Matilda barges forward inquiring about a roast Treona gives the drow an odd look. "No roast dear, but if you’re hungry I do have some chicken stew cooking in the kitchen. I wasn't expecting company though there should be enough to go around."

Once everyone has gathered at the door she asks you to wait a moment. She waves a gloved hand over each of you that cleans the day's filth from your clothes and armor.

You are all led to a rather extravagant sitting room. An antique living room set is lovingly arranged around the roaring fire in the corner, a long polished oak table sits a few feet from the sofa, the floor is covered by rare tapestries that all have strange patterns, and the walls are all decorated by abstract artwork.

She motions for you to take a seat by the fire. She chuckles lightly at Wrenndel's query. "Ruins, I've been living in this tower for over eight years young man. If it's old buildings your after you'd be better off trying that old keep a ways southeast or-", she cuts herself off abruptly.

"Never mind, would any of you care for a hot cup of tea?"
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-06-29 at 03:15 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon eagerly accepts the woman's offer to come in. "This is mighty nice of you ma'am. I'm sure that Wrenndel didn't mean to imply that your home was ruins, it's just we were looking for shelter from the storm. He knew of some ruins off somewhere this way, and in the pouring rain out there we couldn't really tell what we were looking at."

Before sitting down, Eldon searches through his pack for a moment finding out a bit of cloth that could be used to at least tie up his wound. He looks a little awkward trying to wrap and tie the bandage around where the wolf's teeth had sunk into his shoulder, but Eldon always looks a little awkward so that is nothing new.

Once he's certain that he won't bleed onto the kind woman's furniture he takes a seat. "This is a nice place you've got. Much nicer than anything I expected to see tonight. A cup of hot tea would be wonderful right now, thank you. That rain chills down to the bone."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eldon will spend his second surge, which brings him up to full exactly.

12. - Top - End - #72

Matilda sulks at the perceived roast-based betrayal, but takes the opportunity to curl up on a plush-looking chair nonetheless.

"No tea, bleh. Tea tastes like leaves. Poison also tastes like leaves! You're probably an evil witch, trying to poison us all with so-called 'tea'. So no thanks."

The drow huffs, then pauses and adds, "Stew sounds great though. So you're cool on that count I guess."

Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #73

"Why, thank you, but your kind words should go to the towers previous resident. I admit I've added a few personal pieces over the years but most of the decor was already in place when I moved in. I haven't had the heart to change anything around since the previous occupant could return at any time. Although I will admit that I've considered removing a pair of ghastly looking gargoyle statues that sit outside the third floor study, they give me the creeps."

"Oh just listen to me prattle on, I'd better go put the tea on."

Treona shuffles out the room and disappears into the kitchen. She emerges a while later carrying a platter with a mismatched tea set. Setting the platter down she begins distributing saucers, spoons, and teacups to her guests. She fills each cup and places three sugar cubes on each saucer.

Sitting down she deposits all three cubes into her own cup and stirs until the sugar dissipates. Taking a sip she leans back in her chair.

"So what brings you out this way? Most travelers who frequent this area are usually up to no good."

Treona gives the drow a warm smile. "The stew shouldn't be much longer."
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

14. - Top - End - #74

PirateCaptain

"No implication at all Madam! Your home is finer then we could have hoped for. Our kind words go to you Madam, nothing keeps up over the years unless someone takes loving care of them."
    <<Big friendly smile>>
    "Thank you graciously for the tea Madam." Wrenndle smells it appreciatively and takes a sip as long as nothing smells amis.
    "Excellent Tea!" He drinks some more and relaxes into a chair by the fire. "Do you know anything of the ruins? You were about to say something else relating to them earlier. We are adventurers, and love to hear about different and strange things."

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight to see if she how honest Wrenndel thinks she is
    [roll0]
    Diplomacy to make her at ease with us and losen her tounge
    [roll1]+5(Words of Friendship)
    Bluff so that she does not know that Wrenndel is manipulating her
    [roll2]

15. - Top - End - #75

PirateCaptain

Rolls
    Insight: (1d20+1)[4]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[28]+5 (words of friendship)
    Bluff: (1d20+9)[26]

16. - Top - End - #76

Treona seems unsure whether to say anything, only when Wrenndel mentions that you're adventures does she perk up.

"I was speaking of Kiris Dahn, the old logging community to the south."

She gives each of you a stern look. "I would strongly advise that you steer clear of that place, its been overrun by a throng of goblins."

Now I'd better go check on that stew. I'll be back in a minute."

Passive Insight 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the mention of Kiris Dahn, Treona becomes very guarded and shifts the topic of conversation.

Wrenndel
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you can't get a good read on Treona, she seems quite genuine.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel waggles his spiky eyebrows at his companions when she leaves. He is clearly excited about the prospect of adventure in Kiris Dahn.

18. - Top - End - #78

Arthur

Arthur was quiet for the majority of the time, thanking the woman when appropriate but otherwise trying to remain polite and unobtrusive. He raises his eyebrow at the guarded nature of the woman's reaction, however. "Goblins are something we'd actually go out of our way to take care of. A horde that's over run a village more so. However, you seem rather guarded about the town. Were you a resident of the town? Did you lose someone in the attack?"
    Awesome Avatar by Ceika

I'm back baby!

19. - Top - End - #79

Lizardfolk

Rolan

Rolan, too was quiet. Over the past year he had grown more cautious and more suspicious. Betrayal will do that to a man. Rolan looked about the room, searching for anything to seem out of place. When the woman offered fresh, hot tea however, Rolan's natural friendly spirit overwhelmed his cautious one and relished the thought of something warm in his belly. Rolan thanked the woman and held the warm cup in his hands for a few moments, absorbing the heat. At the mention of goblins, Rolan's ears perked up. He listened intently, waiting for Treona to answer Arthur's questions.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight check to determine if Treona seems deceitful: (1d20+7)[27]
    Perception check to see if anything is out of place: (1d20+5)[23]
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)

20. - Top - End - #80

Treona emerges from the kitchen carrying a tray with piping hot bowels of chicken stew. She sets a bowl down for each of you before settling back in her chair.

“I wish there was more I could offer you but I wasn't expecting company this evening.”

She eats quietly while Arthur presses her for more information about Kiris Dahn. Gingerly placing her spoon in the bowl she folds her hands and sighs. “Yes, I was once a resident of Kiris Dahn. Thankfully when it was sacked eight years ago, my family managed to escape without losing anyone. We were quite fortunate as many other residents lost loved ones on that fateful day.”, she says sadly.

Her gaze then falls on the paladin. "We’re not talking about a few dozen goblins young man, that place is inhabited by hundreds of the vile creatures."

Rolan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get the feeling that Treona doesn't have a deceitful bone in her body and that everything she has said has been true. However it's quite obvious to you that she is holding something back.

Surveying the room you detect nothing out of the ordinary. When Treona returns you notice that she has prepared seven bowls of stew yet only six people are currently present.

Passive Perception 12
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the shuffling of feet coming from upstairs.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-02 at 03:09 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon

Eldon accepts the tea and then the stew gratefully with a big smile plastered across his face. "Thank you much, ma'am. We are just glad you're willing to share a little shelter from that storm out there. We weren't looking forward to spending a night out in it."

When she advices against going to Kiris Dahn, Eldon says, "Well, we aren't looking to take on the whole lot of them at once, o' course. But once we get there we might find something we can do. That's just the way we are; we go looking for problems, and then try to put an end to it. A goblin infestation sounds like trouble to me."

22. - Top - End - #82

Lizardfolk

Rolan

"Agreed, Eldon. A goblin infestation sounds like a great deal of trouble. Something worth investigating."

Rolan notes that Treona brought more bowls of stew than people present. At Treona's mentioning of her fortune at escaping Kiris Dahn with all of her family he wonders if any are staying here with Treona. Rolan indicates the unclaimed bowl of stew with a light point and asks Treona, "Will any of your family be joining us?"

23. - Top - End - #83

"No dear, I haven’t had a visit from my relatives since I moved out here. I do have a houseguest who will be joining us sometime this evening."

The sound of footfalls echo from the staircase as a regal man in his mid-forties comes into view. He seems quite surprised that Treona has company.

"I didn’t know you were having company tonight, Treona."

"Neither did I but these nice adventurers came by seeking shelter from the horrible storm raging outside. I couldn’t just leave them to fend for themselves in that weather, so I invited them to stay here until things settled down."

"I see."

Realizing she was ignoring her guests Treona introduces the newcomer. "This is Kiris Alkirk, last heir to the Kiris Line, the former rulers of Kiris Dahn."

Alkirk gives a slight bow in acknowledgement. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance travelers."

Elegantly striding across the room he takes a seat on the sofa.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-05 at 03:18 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateCaptain

Wrenndel rises from his seat and bows gracefully to the man. "The pleasure and honor is ours Lord Alkirk."

The little gnome sits only after Alkirk does. Once the man is able to enjoy his food Wrenndel speaks up again. "What brings a Lord such as yourself out into these parts sir?"

Diplomacy so that Alkirk does not think Wrenndel is being facetious. He is being serious and wants to make a good impression.
    (1d20)[5]+9+2 = 16
    (I would add Words of Friendship +5 in if I can. It is an encounter power)
    Last edited by CalebRoberts; 2012-07-05 at 12:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Alkirk groans audibly at Wrenndel’s attempted flattery."There is no need to stroke my ego, gnome, I am lord of nothing! Kiris Dahn has been gone a long time and I’ve come to terms with that. So if it’s alright with all of you I’d like to be addressed simply as Alkirk.", he states rather directly.

Having become rather flustered he takes several long deep breaths to settle his nerves. Once he’s had a chance to cool off he responds to the gnome’s query. "Treona asked me here to discuss an irregularity she discovered about the slaying stones of Kiris Dahn."

Treona’s spoon clatters noisily into her bowl and her eyes widen in alarm.

"Alkirk! Why are you discussing this private matter with our guests?"

Realizing his blunder the noble swiftly clamps a hand over his mouth.

"It’s too late for that, Alkirk, they know about it now."

"I’m sorry, I just assumed since they were adventurers that you enlisted them to help us out. Plus you introduced me as the heir to Kiris Dahn, what was I supposed to think!?"
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-05 at 03:24 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

26. - Top - End - #86

Bringing a stew-induced silence to its end, Matilda stares rather blankly at the apparent lord. Then she shrugs, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey, hey! We can do that! Helping you out... that would be the thing where we get lavished with praise and shinies in exchange for murder, right?" She glances down at the party's spiky-browed bard from her perch in the armchair, "Right? That went really well last time, we should definitely do it again!"

"And uh, what's a slaying stone supposed to be anyway? Is it not slaying enough?"

Homebrew:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Eldon - Human Ardent

Eldon pauses from his stew to scratch his head. "If you'll excuse me ma'am, I'm really not to sure what you mean. We know about "it" now? You mean this irregularity in the slaying stones. I don't know what a slaying stone is, let alone an irregularity in them. As Matilda said, we'd be happy to help, but you'll have to forgive my ignorance and explain a little more if you want us to do anything about it."

28. - Top - End - #88

PirateCaptain

Apologies...Alkirk. I mearly wanted to adress you properly, no stroking involved.

Wrenndel smiles back at the little murderous manic as he tries to remember what he has heard about these Slaying Stones

History:
    (1d20)[9]+9
    Streetwise:
    (1d20)[18]+7

29. - Top - End - #89

OOC: I apologize for the delay and hope everyone is still with the game.

Alkirk leaps up from his seat and begins frantically waving his arms at the drow. "No, no, murder! We would just need your group to infiltrate Kiris Dahn, locate the slaying stone, and return the artifact to us so it can be destroyed."

Treona glares angrily at the nobleman. "I guess you’re conveniently leaving out the fact that they’d be putting themselves in great danger.” She becomes quite tense and looks at each of you, concern evident on her face.” I don’t feel right asking them to do this, though they should hear all the facts before they come to a decision."

"Yes, of course.", Alkirk responds as he settles back down on the couch. "Before I begin, I would ask that you try not to judge my family’s actions too harshly, all they wanted was to ensure Kiris Dahn’s survival.”

He pauses momentarily to gauge the party’s reaction before continuing. "It all started when the town of Kiris Dahn was at the pinnacle of its power, its wealth and prosperity made it a target for nearby settlements and thieves. To guard against any invasion by powerful forces, my great grandfather Kiris Krynt sought out powerful tiefling weaponsmiths known as the Architects of Victory, who were experts at deadly magic passed down from the last days of Bael Turath. For a hefty price, they created a set of magic weapons capable of slaying Kiris Dahn's enemies. However they placed a limit on the weapons to ensure that they would be used for their stated purpose and couldn't be used against the tieflings. The items would only work in or around the town of Kiris Dahn."

"Unfortunately that’s not quite true, Alkirk. The stones could be used outside Kiris Dahn’s borders if the user makes two sacrifices, they must be willing to relinquish their own soul, and the soul of a good aligned human."

Alkirk obviously unnerved by Treona’s revelation starts to shake violently. "I-I…never knew any of this."

"I hate to be a bother but could you please finish telling them your part of the story."

The noble nods his head solemnly toward Treona. "My family originally commissioned eight slaying stones, seven of them were used to slay leaders of various invading forces, and one was stolen by a courtier who used it in an aborted attempt at a coup. However upon my arrival here Treona showed me an ancient text which documented the creation of nine slaying stones."

Treona speaks up at this point. "It was quite a shock to discover another slaying stone was still in existence. Once I was able to verify the document’s authenticity I reached out to Alkirk, whose family holds the ritual for destroying the slaying stones. All we need now is someone to iberate the stone from the ruins of Kiris Dahn and bring it back so we can destroy it. Will you help us?"

Wrenndel
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are unable to recall any information on the slaying stones in any sort of text.

Although in several clandestine circles it has been mentioned that Kiris Dahn had some sort of magical protection that killed intruders. Whether this was the slaying stones or some other kind of mystical device is uncertain.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2012-07-10 at 01:58 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

30. - Top - End - #90

PirateCaptain

"Well! This all sounds quite exciting and adventuresome! I say we take the job"

He pulls out his flute and does a Jazz number ending with "Aqualunggggggg"

He sits and ponders for a moment. "Miss Treona, might we see this document? Perhaps fresh eyes on it will reveal some additional clues."