New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post

What do y'all think?
    Needs fatter arms. See this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0777.html
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

What do y'all think?
    I think his gun is too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #633

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think his gun is too small.
    Schlock would probably agree.

Also, the eyes are inexplicably the same size.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Schlock would probably agree.

Also, the eyes are inexplicably the same size.
    I couldn't change that without compromising oots style.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

5. - Top - End - #635

I couldn't change that without compromising oots style.
    It was meant to be facitious (given that in OotS style, they usually aren't )
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oopsies. Methinks General Tagon has just realised that being anywhere in UNS space with the name "Tagon" is not a great place to be right now...

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

That face in the last panel certainly nailed the "Oh Crap" look.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oopsies. Methinks General Tagon has just realised that being anywhere in UNS space with the name "Tagon" is not a great place to be right now...
    But the other Tagon didn't think it was worth telling his father to keep a low profile. They talked just after the whole mess.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

9. - Top - End - #639

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    But the other Tagon didn't think it was worth telling his father to keep a low profile. They talked just after the whole mess.
    It probably didn't occur to him, for two reasons: firstly, as far as Tagon is concerned it was his insane AI who took down the Morokweng, not him, and secondly, he doesn't know his father is in UNS space right now. Also, that whole conversation was a "make up" over the things that happened 20 years earlier, I suspect current events were not high on their list of priorities while they were speaking!

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Destroying a battleplate seems like a pretty big thing to forget, though. Especially when it happened 5 minutes before.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #641

It's not like they haven't done it before.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

True, very true. Wrecking battleplates is pretty much "old hat" by now.

"Picked up milk, got the mail, what else did I do today? Oh, yeah, I destroyed a battleplate. Or did that happen yesterday? Dang, it gets hard to keep it all straight."
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #643

BlackDragon

There's got to be another shoe due to drop at some point here--we wouldn't be concentrating so much on their escape from Mall-One if it all went smoothly and without a hitch, would we?

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

There's got to be another shoe due to drop at some point here--we wouldn't be concentrating so much on their escape from Mall-One if it all went smoothly and without a hitch, would we?
    It drop. It seems like they just lost their ship, guess they'll need to accept that job if they want to get out.

15. - Top - End - #645

It drop. It seems like they just lost their ship, guess they'll need to accept that job if they want to get out.
    No, they didn't lose their ship. That person would be the likely jobless Mrs. Murtaugh.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So...we have a General, a bunch of Former UNS analysts turned Ninjas, a Warship, a former Mercenary, a Former (Rather Competent) Rent-A-Cop Commander, and a fry cook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #647

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    No, they didn't lose their ship. That person would be the likely jobless Mrs. Murtaugh.
    Thank you for the link--I was thinking it was going to be the ex-Major myself, but I couldn't find a picture of her while skimming the archives. Is her turning up here and now a coincidence, though?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So...we have a Retired General, a bunch of Former UNS analysts turned Ninjas, a Warship, a former Mercenary, a Former (Rather Competent) Rent-A-Cop Commander, and a fry cook.
    Since you mentioned former for most everyone else, I thought I would add the bold part in for you. Hope you don't mind.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

Re: Sunday's comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ship is dead. Long live the new ship.
    What would they call the new one? The Hit and Run? (HAR)

20. - Top - End - #650

BlackDragon

The ship churn rate of the Toughs is pretty impressive, really...and I wonder if this is the moment that the good ship Bristlecone turns up and neatly solves their problem? I think their next ship needs to be something smaller in any case--the whole point of the Toughs is about what happens on the ground, and having an enormously powerful warship hovering overhead providing instant rescue and supporting fire means Howard has to invent increasingly over-the-top situations to present tension.

21. - Top - End - #651

The ship churn rate of the Toughs is pretty impressive, really...and I wonder if this is the moment that the good ship Bristlecone turns up and neatly solves their problem? I think their next ship needs to be something smaller in any case--the whole point of the Toughs is about what happens on the ground, and having an enormously powerful warship hovering overhead providing instant rescue and supporting fire means Howard has to invent increasingly over-the-top situations to present tension.
    Well, considering how they got the Touch-and-Go, I think it has outlived its comedic lifespan. Then again, Schlock hasn't shot down any other ships lately, so I don't know what their next ship will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, considering how they got the Touch-and-Go, I think it has outlived its comedic lifespan. Then again, Schlock hasn't shot down any other ships lately, so I don't know what their next ship will be.
    The Bristlecone sounds about right, bringing with it Katheryn, her Ninja Analyst Team, Major Murtagh, Karl, Nick, and Liz. The Bristlecone is big enough to serve as a base of operations, but it's not so powerful that the Grunts don't get to have fun.

The whole "Spotting Targets for Tagii" thing on Osiri made the grunts a little obsolete, as they could have been replaced by a cloud of nanny cams and a fast connection.

Katheryn and the Ninja Analysts join the Toughs as a new Intelligence group, since despite being hired guns, the Toughs consistently seem to run into complex situations that require more thinking than shooting (insert jokes about "Yes, Captain Tagon could use some Ingelligence.)

The Bristlecone becomes a new Base of Operations.
    Karl holds no official rank, but is there to be a crotchety old advisor to annoy his son.
    Major Murtagh gets folded in to the chain of command. She's a good officer, but she's used to police work, not being a gun for hire, so the sociopathic tendencies of the Toughs may not sit well with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the expressions in the last panel of today's comic.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would they bring Major Murtagh, a possible agent for a UNS faction? I'd expect them to be paranoid about spies.

25. - Top - End - #655

BlackDragon

Why would they bring Major Murtagh, a possible agent for a UNS faction? I'd expect them to be paranoid about spies.
    She was employed by Sanctum Adroit, who I'm pretty sure are not a UNS faction--they wouldn't be flying around in antiquated stuff like Bristlecone if they were.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

She was employed by Sanctum Adroit, who I'm pretty sure are not a UNS faction--they wouldn't be flying around in antiquated stuff like Bristlecone if they were.
    Bristlecone may be old, but it has been continualy upgraded throught it's life and it very much up to spec.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

But she isn't working for them now... the question is who is she working for.

28. - Top - End - #658

BlackDragon

But she isn't working for them now... the question is who is she working for.
    She doesn't have to be working for anyone but herself. Given she lost her job over the theft of the Bristlecone I imagine she's been rather interested in tracking the ship down and seeing what happened to it.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

She doesn't have to be working for anyone but herself.
    You're clearly not paranoid enough.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post

The whole "Spotting Targets for Tagii" thing on Osiri made the grunts a little obsolete, as they could have been replaced by a cloud of nanny cams and a fast connection.
    Not really. As already shown in the comic, there aren't all that many situations where they really can use warship guns against surface targets, either for political reasons, or for the potential for collateral damage. Osiri was a rare case in which neither applied.