New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Banned

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Dangerous speculation? In my Dresden thread? It's more likely than you think!

Ooo, I wonder if any dragons are in Demonreach. I wonder if the Questing Beast is in Demonreach!
    No but I bet Merlin is. Some versions of the tale match with being imprisoned in something akin to Demonreach

BTW Does anyone else notice some of the ways Dresden is similar to Merlin? & I don't mean the obvious stuff, more like how they both had young female apprentices that are a bit crazy?

I wouldn't put it past the plot for him to do some serious advising to Marcone & maybe even giving him a Sword. Not that I'm saying that this will happen, just that it would fit
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2013-01-20 at 11:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

...Marcone with a Sword? Now that's a scary thought.

Assuming he's royalty-descended and eligible, though, let's explore this crazy idea - would he wield Amoracchius (Love) or Fidelacchius (Faith)?

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Bah Marcone with a sword would ruin the character. What a terrible crime to take the man that's going to own the world with nary a single bit of magic and make him into one of the most powerful magic users around. Terrible.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Banned

The guy may be corrupt & all, but he almost seems to make sense as a wielder of Amoracchius, he actually & feels responsible for the death of innocents. Plus if they didn't mind the Red Court corrupted Susan wielding it for a bit it shouldn't mind a mobster too much.

I'm just speculating here, I'm only noting the posibility. Personally I'd love to see him contend with every single big bad in the Dresdenverse sans-sorcery.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm I think I have a succint way to sum my views on mere possiblity:

Isn't it possible?

Sure is possible, suuure is.

Not to rag too much but your speculation is less anything we have to go on and more taking two random threads of the story and tying them together in a big knot. This is actually most fandom "speculation" actually.

And fanfics too.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Banned

I strongly oppose fanfics of any sort

7. - Top - End - #637
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marcone doesn't strike me as the sort of person that could actually wield Amoracchius. While the Swords don't seem to be particularly discriminatory (relatively speaking), Marcone doesn't strike me as anywhere close to Michael or Susan (during Changes). The character development required for him to even come close as a candidate for Amoracchius would ruin the character already established during the past 14 books.

Sure, we know that he places limits and stuff on his operations, but that's less from love and more along the lines of his own personal code. I really doubt that he'll be even coming close to holding any of the Swords.

After all, one of his big strengths is being a vanilla mortal that's pretty clued-in to the whole supernatural world. Giving him a Sword is only going to diminish that.

Still, I'm pretty curious as to who is going to end up wielding the Swords.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, sending Ferrovax to demonreach seems like a low percentage move even if he was infected. Things go wrong, and demonreach eats Ferrovax for breakfast. Things go right, and Ferrovax gets obliterated by Banefire. If Nemesis has Mr. Ferro in its hand, it probably doesn't want to throw him away.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

So Soras, you don't like being a member of a fandom? I enjoy wild-ass guessing. It gives me DFRPG plot ideas.
    Now that TWO main characters are Winter Court, infected Ferrovax vs. Winter seems like an incredibly plausible book plot to me. It's about Harry's usual villain power level, and it would teach him how to use Demonreach as a prison.

Marcone with a sword? The sword might accept him. His care for Persephone might be enough. Imagine the dramas if Marcone and Murphy had to work together as Knights! But I'd much prefer him to be badass normal for the remainder of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    No but I bet Merlin is. Some versions of the tale match with being imprisoned in something akin to Demonreach

BTW Does anyone else notice some of the ways Dresden is similar to Merlin? & I don't mean the obvious stuff, more like how they both had young female apprentices that are a bit crazy?
    Merlin trapped in a prison of his own making? Perhaps that's what gave him the idea for Demonreach, but if he's so cool he wouldn't allow himself to be trapped by it. It's not like the Island itself would trap him anyway, he's the warden.
    Also MERLIN IS COWL BECAUSE THEY BOTH HAVE CRAZY FEMALE APPRENTICES. And he wants to destroy the council he created because it's corrupt!
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2013-01-21 at 08:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Colossus in the Playground

Merlin is a time-travelling genderbent Molly! Maeve is her crazy female apprentice!
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-01-21 at 08:41 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Merlin is a time-travelling genderbent Molly! Maeve is her crazy female apprentice!
    Oh come on, that second bit is just ridiculous.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't forget!

Mister is his father!

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Merlin is a time-travelling genderbent Molly!
    Not Merlin:

Spoiler
    Show

What.

They're both blond and made of win. Molly's already connected to Ex-CAIbur anyways.

Which also makes Harry as Merlin a lot more sensible.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMook View Post
    Marcone doesn't strike me as the sort of person that could actually wield Amoracchius. While the Swords don't seem to be particularly discriminatory (relatively speaking), Marcone doesn't strike me as anywhere close to Michael or Susan (during Changes). The character development required for him to even come close as a candidate for Amoracchius would ruin the character already established during the past 14 books.

Sure, we know that he places limits and stuff on his operations, but that's less from love and more along the lines of his own personal code. I really doubt that he'll be even coming close to holding any of the Swords.

After all, one of his big strengths is being a vanilla mortal that's pretty clued-in to the whole supernatural world. Giving him a Sword is only going to diminish that.

Still, I'm pretty curious as to who is going to end up wielding the Swords.
    Agreed. If there was a Sword of Honor, he'd be a shoo-in, but he doesn't exhibit Love, Hope, or Faith to any noticeable degree.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Had picked up the idea from somewhere that Thomas might end up wielding Amoraccius. He's suffered in the name of love and doing the right thing, he's a good swordfighter and he's the son of a king (the White King, admittedly, but maybe he'd still count).

I might already have mentioned this, too, but I had a feeling that Mac was Merlin. After a lifetime of battling terrifying, nightmarish monsters, he'd finally constructed his great prison and then thought to himself 'that's enough; I can't take much more, I've given all I have to give' and retired in nearby Chicago to open a bar. Certainly explains why his bar is neutral territory; it'd be the least Mab could do, to ensure his retirement remained peaceful.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2013-01-21 at 01:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Agreed. If there was a Sword of Honor, he'd be a shoo-in, but he doesn't exhibit Love, Hope, or Faith to any noticeable degree.
    Does faith in himself count?
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Let's not confuse a few principles derived from a personal feeling of debt with anything actually resembling morality of Marcone's part. He's certainly not beyond redemption but wielding any sort of similar Sword of the Cross would require Marcone to repent his sins in some way... and just as importantly stop doing them.

More then that though the Knight's entire operating methodology/philosophy/theology is simply anathema to guys like Marcone, and most of the Dresdenverse. People like Marcone, Mab, the White Council, and Vadderung are all "Big Picture" in thinking. Varying degrees of d-baggery sure, but they all are in it for the long haul. They have a goal, prioritize who gets saved when and whom is an acceptable sacrifice to get there. That the variable [child] gets sorted highest in the lot does not change that.

Marcone when confronted with Dresden seeking to rescue a child provides and coldly asks about for what purpose the child was taken for. He coldly tolerates idea like children in sexual slavery. Sure if its right in front of him he'll do something but he's already given up on the idea that everyone even those he values highest can be all be saved.

Ask yourself if roles were different what would Michael do if he had Marcone's power? Michael would muster all his forces and influence and lead the charge. What's that he's taking a terrible risk with his own power base that could impact the ability of his organization to gradually eliminate the whole practice of exploiting children once they had power enough to? Marcone would regret that choice but make it, kids die everyday afterall. You already know what Michael would say: Doesn't matter, its the right thing to do.

That's why there is no sword for Marcone. Or most of the cast for that matter.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Does faith in himself count?
    While it could certainly still go either way - or even go different ways at different times - I see Fidelacchius as more "The Sword of Keeping Faith" than "The Sword of Having Faith." See: Murphy's reaffirmation of her oath to protect the people of Chicago, which, yes, kept her from taking up the sword when it was first offered to her, but also expressly confirmed that she was a suitable candidate to wield it.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #649

And Marcone is nothing if not loyal to his people, at almost every level of his organization.

I still think it's a crackpot theory, but that'd be the most logical crack to follow.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Let's not confuse a few principles derived from a personal feeling of debt with anything actually resembling morality of Marcone's part. He's certainly not beyond redemption but wielding any sort of similar Sword of the Cross would require Marcone to repent his sins in some way... and just as importantly stop doing them.

More then that though the Knight's entire operating methodology/philosophy/theology is simply anathema to guys like Marcone, and most of the Dresdenverse. People like Marcone, Mab, the White Council, and Vadderung are all "Big Picture" in thinking. Varying degrees of d-baggery sure, but they all are in it for the long haul. They have a goal, prioritize who gets saved when and whom is an acceptable sacrifice to get there. That the variable [child] gets sorted highest in the lot does not change that.

Marcone when confronted with Dresden seeking to rescue a child provides and coldly asks about for what purpose the child was taken for. He coldly tolerates idea like children in sexual slavery. Sure if its right in front of him he'll do something but he's already given up on the idea that everyone even those he values highest can be all be saved.

Ask yourself if roles were different what would Michael do if he had Marcone's power? Michael would muster all his forces and influence and lead the charge. What's that he's taking a terrible risk with his own power base that could impact the ability of his organization to gradually eliminate the whole practice of exploiting children once they had power enough to? Marcone would regret that choice but make it, kids die everyday afterall. You already know what Michael would say: Doesn't matter, its the right thing to do.

That's why there is no sword for Marcone. Or most of the cast for that matter.
    Most knights in medieval era had more in common with today's gangsters than they had with King Arthur. The Swords oppose the Denarians, they don't crusade against all evil. Marcone would be a very good warrior against the Denarians.

21. - Top - End - #651

Most knights in medieval era had more in common with today's gangsters than they had with King Arthur. The Swords oppose the Denarians, they don't crusade against all evil. Marcone would be a very good warrior against the Denarians.
    Most knights, yes. Presumably not the ones that wielded the Swords. Between Shiro, Sanya, and Michael, it seems that Knights of the Cross embody the legends of chivalry rather than the reality. You don't have to be a relentless crusader against all evil, but you have to be a seriously good person, and that level of 'good' tends to have 'crusader against evil' as a common secondary trait. Marcone is not a good person, so even if he's a devoted enemy of the Denarians, he's not a Sword candidate.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that Michael and Sanya seem to spend a lot of time doing other things than hunting the Denarians, I wonder if opposing the Denarians also includes fighting Nicodemus's claim that 'apocalypse is a state of mind' by actively promoting the ideals of love, hope and faith whenever possible.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Exclamation Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

Marcone would be a very effective warrior against Evil. He's intelligent, charismatic, driven, and skilled.

However, if all it took was effectiveness, then all the Swords would be wielded by Wizards.

No. In the end, Marcone is a selfish person. He's much better at it than most people, he realizes that stability is better than chaos, even if it means giving up short-term gain. He is territorial, and there are things far worse than him seeking to move in on his territory. He's got a sense of morality and a personal code, however he does NOT have the good of all mankind at heart.

The Knights, above all else, are Selfless, good people driven by a desire to protect those who cannot protect themselves. That is NOT Marcone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Most knights, yes. Presumably not the ones that wielded the Swords. Between Shiro, Sanya, and Michael, it seems that Knights of the Cross embody the legends of chivalry rather than the reality. You don't have to be a relentless crusader against all evil, but you have to be a seriously good person, and that level of 'good' tends to have 'crusader against evil' as a common secondary trait. Marcone is not a good person, so even if he's a devoted enemy of the Denarians, he's not a Sword candidate.
    Pretty much my thoughts, the Nickelheads are "knights" too formally under the Accords IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Given that Michael and Sanya seem to spend a lot of time doing other things than hunting the Denarians, I wonder if opposing the Denarians also includes fighting Nicodemus's claim that 'apocalypse is a state of mind' by actively promoting the ideals of love, hope and faith whenever possible.
    I suspect that its exactly now that you say it.

Interesting question I kinda wonder who came first the Swords or the Coins. I mean both gained significance on the same day but when did those relics get set in opposition. Maybe the Denarians were created in response to and going forth and doing good was the original mission. Nothing to say but the the creation of both is sorta there to be answered.

I be surprised if it is when Nick shows up next book though. I just hope Sanya makes it.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Interesting question I kinda wonder who came first the Swords or the Coins. I mean both gained significance on the same day but when did those relics get set in opposition. Maybe the Denarians were created in response to and going forth and doing good was the original mission. Nothing to say but the the creation of both is sorta there to be answered.

I be surprised if it is when Nick shows up next book though. I just hope Sanya makes it.
    A fallen angel tipped the scales, (creating the Denarians) & then the Archangels were allowed to balance it.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Random thought: I've decided to re-read the series from the beginning, and thought it might be interesting to post my thoughts on the books as I go. Should I start a new topic for that or just do it in this one?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Random thought: I've decided to re-read the series from the beginning, and thought it might be interesting to post my thoughts on the books as I go. Should I start a new topic for that or just do it in this one?
    That strikes me as something that should be in a separate topic. Just in case there's more discussion to be had here (which is possible). Also, you're likely to bring in people who haven't had a chance to read this book yet/might not have read any of the books at all. A "Let's Read" type topic from the beginning (not what I think you're doing, but close enough) will garner more attention than a topic about the 14th book in the series.
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2013-01-23 at 04:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, that's exactly how the last Dresden thread started. In general, the mods prefer a single thread per topic.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

A fallen angel tipped the scales, (creating the Denarians) & then the Archangels were allowed to balance it.
    That would be the most typical relationship. I kinda wonder about that though. We can make an inferred guess that our last bit of demonic interference was from Anduriel, since it matches his nominally known manifestation and he is known to have agency on Earth.

Most the Fallen are said to not be able to exert power on Earth. So how did they create the coins if they can't act? Well maybe they can and the restriction has always been more balance of power like then that they actually can't.

I think the reality may be a bit more complex. Then again citing Kusanagi says to me Jim didn't nessecarily quite think out this bit of the mythos. Being both a katana and I'm pretty sure too young. Not for Yamato Takeru but Susanoo and Orochi should I think be BC. Though wouldn't be the first time the series has played fast and loose with things, Excalibur is distinct (most of the time) from the Sword in the Stone in legends.

30. - Top - End - #660

Or just flexible with chronology. Kusanagi was also reforged at least once, so there's no guarantee it was always a katana, and/or maybe it was created after the other two.