New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Big thank you to ye all! Still waiting, slowly going mad. Okay, pretty quickly. I'm anxious. Anx anx anx. Anxious.

The research would be a seismological study of Asia, for the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation.
    *Stretches arms Eireward to hug*

I wish I could reach, but it will take weeks before I get close enough to initiate the Glomp-distraction plan. I hope your anxiety gets better. ;_;

... On that note, I am actually going to Dublin in a few weeks. from the 5th to the 10th, my class shall be visiting and sightseeing the greatest Irish Kenderhome on the planet. So exciting! ^_^

Your research sounds intriguing. Although I know little of the topic, it makes me want to do amateur research into both the organisation and seismology myself.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    All the facepalms?

Oh, irony. It's still sad.
    On the other hand, I'm sure at least one or two people has been given pause today by the fact that they're on the same side as Paris Hilton. Plus, it's her saying it and she's easy to lampoon, so, I'm going to go with it being a net positive.

Also, has anyone told you that you're rather dashing?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-21 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    On the other hand, I'm sure at least one or two people has been given pause today by the fact that they're on the same side as Paris Hilton. Plus, it's her saying it and she's easy to lampoon, so, I'm going to go with it being a net positive.

Also, has anyone told you that you're rather dashing?
    True, some people might stop and think after realising they share a view with her.

Yes, on occasion they have. Thank you.

Edit: So my old school (a fairly accepting school, with a large number of out-of-the-closet people) has a few facebook pages some students have made. One is "SRC memes". Somebody made a post with that not-sure-if Fry meme, "Not sure if boy, or just lesbian".
    Another highly distasteful thing happened there last Sunday, but it's not related to this thread and is probably not allowed on the board.
    I'm a bit disappointed with this batch of freshmen, just based on what I've been hearing.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-21 at 03:48 PM.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, that sounds neat. Definitely a worthwhile law, too.
    That's part of why I'm so excited about possibly getting it; it's such a good thing to be involved in, even in just a tiny way.

Not weird at all. I'm attracted to myself. Sometimes I'm thinking about shaving when I just get lost in my eyes in the mirror...

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    You know what helps me not be so anxious? Jameson, mmmmm, nectar of the gods

Wow, that is awesomely crazy. And I feel fairly dumb now
    Thanks! That's okay, I've had to learn over the last few days to reliably say "Preparatory Commission of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation" fluidly, and not without failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    *Stretches arms Eireward to hug*

I wish I could reach, but it will take weeks before I get close enough to initiate the Glomp-distraction plan. I hope your anxiety gets better. ;_;

... On that note, I am actually going to Dublin in a few weeks. from the 5th to the 10th, my class shall be visiting and sightseeing the greatest Irish Kenderhome on the planet. So exciting! ^_^

Your research sounds intriguing. Although I know little of the topic, it makes me want to do amateur research into both the organisation and seismology myself.
    I recommend it! The website of the organisation is www.ctbto.org

I hope I will have started working on it by the time you arrive. Anx anx anx...!!!! Jaysus I'm so anxious!!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll add to the pool of disappointment in Paris

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    You look really, really good with short hair.
    Yes, yes he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Few people realize it, but homosexuals actually smell deliciously of pineapple.
    Also, strawberries......
    well I really like both of those. And as it turns out pinapple(and strawberries to a lesser extent) sweeten the flavor of semen, while red meats make it bitter.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

6. - Top - End - #1326

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    well I really like both of those. And as it turns out pinapple(and strawberries to a lesser extent) sweeten the flavor of semen, while red meats make it bitter.
    I've heard that.
    What happens for people like me, whose diet is primarily red meat and fruit? I eat a lot of both.
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard that.
    What happens for people like me, whose diet is primarily red meat and fruit? I eat a lot of both.
    Sweet in one testicle, bitter in the other.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard that.
    Simple, it becomes bittersweet.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Here's something to cheer you uo after the Paris incident.

Or make your heads explode. Either way really.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    That's because he's spent quite some time in direct proximity to Jack Harkness.
    Legit. Jack <3

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    I had a friend about whom I knew for years that she only found men with long hair attractive - she said that when someone cut their hair, their attractiveness dropped automatically to zero and she just couldn't see them as people she might be romantically/visually attracted to.
    Long hair looks nicer. (nodnod)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Legit. Jack <3
    Nobody's made a Jack Heart-ness pun yet?

Anyways, just found out that a girl I liked has a crush on my friend. She told me this today (she doesn't realize I have a crush on her) after she was chatting with him and I on the bus home.

This strange line of love goes like this:

Me > Girl > Friend

Friend oblivious to > Girl's advances

Me trying to win over > Girl

I don't think she realizes he's a Senior (we're Sophomores), that he's not a fan of anything she likes, and that he's also the most dull and non-social guy in the universe (not that it creates a gap in our friendship; I'm not too social, either).
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Banned

Tennant played the Tenth Doctor. (It's nice because his name has his number in it. Good for remembering.) I haven't quite gotten up to the Fourth yet (I'm watching the old series, currently), but I believe the Fourth was the other most popular, so I guess I'll have to compare them.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Tenant also spent a considerable amount of time focused on being the doctor. Word has it that his goal when he started acting was to be the doctor, and he even ended up marrying the fifth(?) doctor's daughter. Who is in his blood.

His skill at acting is pretty slick though. If you can get past the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I cannot give any professional advice nor do I have much experience with life choices, so please be critical of what I will say next:

From what you say, it seems like a choice between life and death, both in metaphor and in reality.

If you continue on the path of becoming a father and sacrifice what you feel such deep need for, then what is left of you but an empty automaton of what others wish you to be? You would be hiding away things so essential that the man raising those kids would be crying not over what he could not be, but over the death of the person that you are. He might be a person that your SO could love, but if that is not who you are or need to be, then he is not what you should try to be. That person would never be real, neither for you nor for your SO. Only a shade or Gollum of what never was.

The choice of breaking apart from your SO would be terrible and heart-wrenching too, but it might be better for the both of you. The person you will become may not be one your SO can love as a spouse, but she will be you. You may not be capable of being your love's boyfriend or father children, but you can still be there in other ways. That choice may end the present, but she could create the future that leads to both your happiness. Do not blame yourself for lacking the ability to become a father, but be who you can be.

Sorry if I seem overtly dramatic, but these are matters that mean a lot to me. Both life choices and the happiness of such amazing people as SiuiS-
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, that would be suitably dramatic, not overly so.

That's the thing with masks, though. A person is malleable. There's very little difference between pretending to be something, and being something. It just gets harder to change as you grow older, lose plasticity. The man is the mask, the mask is the man. People are all hollow, always pretending. There's nothing wrong with that, it is genuine.

I've grown attached to several selves, not just one. So either way I'll be killing off good traits as well as bad no matter what I pick. So it's really an inherently selfish decision; picking what I want, as much as what I need.

But this works against me. I'm malleable, adaptable. Moreso than my filly. Doesn't that put the onus of change on me? I can handle it much easier after all. Accommodation puts me out much less than her. No, it's a lifetime of accommodation that hurts. But in the thick, hanging on that slippery slope, it's hard to decide with finality this is where I stop, this is where I draw the line. Perhaps that's the key? No matter when I stop it's going to be difficult. It's zero sum. All things being equal, I should take a stand on something that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Well, I've not been very active here, because of RL priorities (helping BF with LGBT-unrelated problems, looking for a job, raging on my family, scumbag brain acting abnormally in all the bad ways). I've skipped on hugging duties. That is bad. I should resolve that right away.
    *hugs*
    *hugs*
    *hugs*
    *hugs*
    *more hugs*
    Alas, like it often happens, I don't have good advice for those of you who did complain about real problems, nor do I have very verbose ways of comforting you. The verbal description of hugs on a screen is surely a device that is getting old, I'm sorry about that. My brain is just very work-focused these days, it has an easier time popping up ass-kissing [bovine excrements] for the sake of getting a job, than sincere empathy. For the record, the above is sincere.
    You have a sufficient arm:torso ratio to make your gigs worthwhile, regardless~

I cut my hair. (I take some small sadistic pleasure from showing this progression to people who like long hair.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before (two springs ago):
    Spoiler
    Show

Last year:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now (a month and a half ago):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was aware of this, but seeing your luxurious flowing hair in that first picture, after spending an hour last night breakin up some natural dreads, I wanna punch you ):v

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    No one should sacrifice their happiness for the sake of another person's. Beyond that, I don't know. If it doesn't work out, there was probably no way that it ever could have for the both of you, and you shouldn't feel like that's your fault. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Aye. It's a pickle.
    Forgot you still hang about sometimes. Not sure if this makes the IRC chats more awkward or less

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Just saw this. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I really really hope she didn't actually say it.

EDIT: Apparently she did. Oh dear.
    That's actually not that bad. Think about it.

It's a picture of Paris Hilton saying "ew those gays, so gross" on a poster saying "Paris Hilton is an idiot. Don't listen to her. Fight the status quo." I am in favor of it, myself. The people who will see it as an ad for stigma against homosexuals are the people who think Head On! Works because the commercial screams it at them. The people who will stop and read it, see the word stigma, see its about stopping such stigma, those are the ones we want to reach anyway. The ones who think, who have opinions instead of merely propagating them.

Besides, isn't she the one who wasn't sure if her chicken of the sea was tuna or chicken? She's obviously dangerously sheltered. She probably doesn't know anything about homosexuality except "some men do dirty things with other men and it's wrong", and never put even the slightest bit of brain power into it.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I agree with the others; not that last one! First question I'd ask is, how attached are you to the idea that the kids are your genetic offspring? If the answer is anything other than "desperately", I'd take a deep breath on the kids right now. It's not fair on children to bring them into a crumbling relationship or a difficult period. I mean, it happens, and it's no one's fault, but it's a big deal, especially for them and a big decision. There are steps you can take, like saving some sperm, so you can make babies post-transition, or there's adoption (although that might be difficult depending on where you live, etc).
    Spoiler
    Show
    While not against adoption, we do want biological descendants. That's why I chose the word 'breed' actually!

You hit the nail on the was though. It's a matter of which problem do we think we can manage the best. I think that specifically, raising a child with two mothers, especially one who is trans, would be easiest (as a separate problem from just raising a child, period <_<;). I am fairly certain my filly thinks that dealing with my issues of suppression would be easiest. It's, to paraphrase Garrus Vakarian, "the brutal calculus of life".

I do need to sit and talk with her about it, though. It's obvious now, where it was sort of just a good idea, before.

The first person you have to look after is you. You know that thing about putting on your own oxygen mask before you attend to others? You are no good to anyone if you're suffocating in the wrong body, or a rapidly decompressing airplane cabin. Being happy is more important and more likely to lead to long-term contentment, and a life free of regrets, than a relationship is. If you need to transition, you need to transition, it's a treatment for a problem you have, and I strongly believe if you put it off for someone else, who won't support what you need to do, you will end up resenting that person and the relationship will suffer anyway.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    On kids - they can be yours and later, just need to put 'em in the bank before HRT. Gives you time to save up for IVF that way :/
    Eehhhhhh. Kinda?

Spoiler
    Show
    See, I'm broke. It's my fault - I've doused so much on internal stuff lately that I basically lost sight of my business life, and now I'm stuck until I can find a nice breakthrough point... And I keep getting distracted by personal issues.

If I had any net income at all, you would be right. As is, with student loans, rent, phone, and internet (my only bills; filly pays for her car herself, technically) I average being about ten dollars in the hole every month. Food, luxury, transport, all come from*Her. So step one, is get stabilized and fix my quality of life. This means getting a vehicle. Getting a good job or hopefully a career. Getting a place to live where I won't be shot. Having a fridge full of actual groceries. And then I can move up. Getting my teeth fixed. Getting my glasses updated. Getting a decent wardrobe. Paying off my loans sooner.

An expensive procedure to save some genetic tissue, so later we can have another expensive procedure that might not work? That's several thousand percent more expensive than the old fashioned way. Magnitudes of difference. And money that could be better spent on children, than on conceiving children.

If I only had one issue at a time I could deal with it. It's the amalgam which sucks.

You know what helps me not be so anxious? Jameson, mmmmm, nectar of the gods
    A good whiskey shot in a glass of milk is delicious, too. Great nightcap.

Edit: So my old school (a fairly accepting school, with a large number of out-of-the-closet people) has a few facebook pages some students have made. One is "SRC memes". Somebody made a post with that not-sure-if Fry meme, "Not sure if boy, or just lesbian".
    Another highly distasteful thing happened there last Sunday, but it's not related to this thread and is probably not allowed on the board.
    I'm a bit disappointed with this batch of freshmen, just based on what I've been hearing.
    The purpose of a freshman is to conform and survive long enough to develop their own opinions. The way college is now just a part of the usual track instead of a conscious, adult decision means a lot of the growing up in high school people used to do is deferred until college now. Give them a bit, they'll either grow up or prove they have no worth and shouldn't be listened to.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

That's actually not that bad. Think about it.

It's a picture of Paris Hilton saying "ew those gays, so gross" on a poster saying "Paris Hilton is an idiot. Don't listen to her. Fight the status quo." I am in favor of it, myself. The people who will see it as an ad for stigma against homosexuals are the people who think Head On! Works because the commercial screams it at them. The people who will stop and read it, see the word stigma, see its about stopping such stigma, those are the ones we want to reach anyway. The ones who think, who have opinions instead of merely propagating them.

Besides, isn't she the one who wasn't sure if her chicken of the sea was tuna or chicken? She's obviously dangerously sheltered. She probably doesn't know anything about homosexuality except "some men do dirty things with other men and it's wrong", and never put even the slightest bit of brain power into it.
    I'm not objecting to the poster itself, it just provided a handy way to post that wonderful soundbite from everyone's favourite heiress.

Why is she even a celebrity?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I'm not objecting to the poster itself, it just provided a handy way to post that wonderful soundbite from everyone's favourite heiress.

Why is she even a celebrity?
    Because she's wealthy, reasonably attractive, and made a sex tape that became massively popular. That's all there is too it, really.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you all for the replies. My friend really appreciates it too.

The whole thing makes sense in context, and really, it has no actual relation to the character's sexuality. But she doesn't want to offend people, even by ignorance.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait wait wait. Since when did people talk about Semen on the LGBTAitP thread? Oh wait...

I cut my hair. (I take some small sadistic pleasure from showing this progression to people who like long hair.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before (two springs ago):
    Spoiler
    Show

Last year:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now (a month and a half ago):
    Spoiler
    Show

NOOOOO! How could you ruin that beautiful mane!

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh gosh, Nopa (... your name here is hard to remember past that!). That was BEAUTIFUL hair. I envy it forever. I want hair JUST like that.

Yeah, you look good with short hair too. But man. That's some AWESOME hair you had a year ago.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

I've put on a lot of weight again and am feeling really unattractive despite efforts to exercise and watch what I eat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Has Ghost in the Shell (mainly the body-switching part of it) ever been discussed in the scope of gender issues (not sure if that's the right word)?

I wonder... In a world where a brain gets to shed its body, wouldn't gender become a wardrobe choice?

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

@ noparlpf - I am seething with jealousy right now.

Besides, isn't she the one who wasn't sure if her chicken of the sea was tuna or chicken?
    That was Jessica Simpson. Don't ask how I know that...

Spoiler
    Show
    While not against adoption, we do want biological descendants. That's why I chose the word 'breed' actually!

You hit the nail on the was though. It's a matter of which problem do we think we can manage the best. I think that specifically, raising a child with two mothers, especially one who is trans, would be easiest (as a separate problem from just raising a child, period <_<;). I am fairly certain my filly thinks that dealing with my issues of suppression would be easiest. It's, to paraphrase Garrus Vakarian, "the brutal calculus of life".

I do need to sit and talk with her about it, though. It's obvious now, where it was sort of just a good idea, before.
    *Big hugs for Siuis* I know that feel
    It's hard, but having clarity will ultimately be better for you both than not talking about it - and as everyone else has said if you need to do it, you have to do it or it will only make things worse for you and those around you.

Eehhhhhh. Kinda?

Spoiler
    Show
    See, I'm broke. It's my fault - I've doused so much on internal stuff lately that I basically lost sight of my business life, and now I'm stuck until I can find a nice breakthrough point... And I keep getting distracted by personal issues.

If I had any net income at all, you would be right. As is, with student loans, rent, phone, and internet (my only bills; filly pays for her car herself, technically) I average being about ten dollars in the hole every month. Food, luxury, transport, all come from*Her. So step one, is get stabilized and fix my quality of life. This means getting a vehicle. Getting a good job or hopefully a career. Getting a place to live where I won't be shot. Having a fridge full of actual groceries. And then I can move up. Getting my teeth fixed. Getting my glasses updated. Getting a decent wardrobe. Paying off my loans sooner.

An expensive procedure to save some genetic tissue, so later we can have another expensive procedure that might not work? That's several thousand percent more expensive than the old fashioned way. Magnitudes of difference. And money that could be better spent on children, than on conceiving children.

If I only had one issue at a time I could deal with it. It's the amalgam which sucks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to be the bad news fairy, but having a kid now is almost certainly going to far, far more expensive than storing at a sperm bank.
    I did some quick googling and depending on time you can get storage for initial deposit (hur hur) of around $500, and ongoing of $30 a month or so, with a pre-pay for a few years.

Yes, that's a lot of money if you're broke, but having a kid will drain your money way more (trust me on this one).

Please don't think I'm trying to force this path on you - it's just something I've been looking into due to having the almost exact circumstances as you

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp41 View Post
    Has Ghost in the Shell (mainly the body-switching part of it) ever been discussed in the scope of gender issues (not sure if that's the right word)?

I wonder... In a world where a brain gets to shed its body, wouldn't gender become a wardrobe choice?
    In the manga Batou calls up the Major while she's doing one of her VR lesbian camgirl shows* and he experiences it in a woman's body which messes him up for a while as he really wasn't expecting it.

* the manga is weird.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2012-09-21 at 10:34 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

The manga was crazy awesome in places like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I had my first therapist appointment today. I really got lucky because even though it was just an evaluation thing and so I got a random therapist until the evaluation is complete, the therapist I talked to had experience with trans* issues and was really understanding. Even though I was really nervous, it felt so good just to physically tell someone about being trans and not just endlessly turn it over in my head.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgot you still hang about sometimes. Not sure if this makes the IRC chats more awkward or less
    I can't imagine how someone could make small talk with me more awkward than it naturally is, so I'm going to say less.
    In the manga Batou calls up the Major while she's doing one of her VR lesbian camgirl shows* and he experiences it in a woman's body which messes him up for a while as he really wasn't expecting it.

* the manga is weird.
    I remember darkly that in the show it was left open whether Major's original body was female or male, but that that question only came up once.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    No, that would be suitably dramatic, not overly so.

That's the thing with masks, though. A person is malleable. There's very little difference between pretending to be something, and being something. It just gets harder to change as you grow older, lose plasticity. The man is the mask, the mask is the man. People are all hollow, always pretending. There's nothing wrong with that, it is genuine.

I've grown attached to several selves, not just one. So either way I'll be killing off good traits as well as bad no matter what I pick. So it's really an inherently selfish decision; picking what I want, as much as what I need.

But this works against me. I'm malleable, adaptable. Moreso than my filly. Doesn't that put the onus of change on me? I can handle it much easier after all. Accommodation puts me out much less than her. No, it's a lifetime of accommodation that hurts. But in the thick, hanging on that slippery slope, it's hard to decide with finality this is where I stop, this is where I draw the line. Perhaps that's the key? No matter when I stop it's going to be difficult. It's zero sum. All things being equal, I should take a stand on something that matters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We can indeed all change and I have no doubts you are malleable, but I think it might unfortunately be much more complicated than that. It is not that as much as we grow older that we lose our malleability, but that the masks we choose have grander significance and the consequences more dire.

It may seem that you should just change masks and be less "selfish", and in the short term it will be easy. But in the long term it often ends worse than picking the path that is harder in the short term. Not all of you is malleable, otherwise, why would you even think about this? If this was merely a matter of choosing the less selfish path and turn into that without remorse, then you would never have asked about it. Would you?

I apologise if I seem mean, but I simply find it hard to believe that all masks are genuine. Certainly are not to me, as I fight hard enough to do what I wish and need to do, never being quite able to just become what society would like me to be or what I decide would be the most effective choice. While they may seem to be hollow masks to you, all faces I show are my expressions, forged by my own mind and life. I could not just pick a convenient mask, as much as they would please family and peers. I just cannot, I tried, it is one of the few things that I fear could drive me to suicide if I did. If we are hollow, then why could I not? Am I just selfish?

I would not want you to hurt your filly, but your greater malleability does not give anyone the right to force you to suffer for their ideal. Not your love, not your filly. Your filly hopefully do not want so either, as I trust you both do love each other. It is indeed no black and white point that decides it, but you should not continue on a path of suffering till you break. As much as it pains me to say it, you filly seems more selfish if you are forced to choose between what you want and a slope towards despair just because you are "more malleable". ;_;

Sorry, that was very mean of me. No intention to blame your filly for it. m(_ _)m

I understand that you lose good and bad things either way, but do not do so because you think it will make you the best for your filly's love. It would be selfish to force your filly to stay with you through everything, but it would also be selfish to force the responsibility for your grief on your filly's love. If she really loves you, then she certainly would not want you to suffer either. The altruistic choice seems more to be to have both of you talk and figure out what futures you can have together and what you cannot have. Some things may not work out, but you should both be willing to sacrifice them, not just one of you. I hope that makes a bit of sense.

I apologise if this next thing seems silly, but it actually remind me of when one of a pair of friends lament that they would be a couple if only the other was a different gender. Even if there was a magical way to instantly change sex, it would be pretty cruel to say the other friend is selfish for not changing.
    Obviously different, but I have been far too mean and sad in this reply. ^_^
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Aw, I missed the Tennant love fest.

I basically agree with SiuiS on the poster, but I do worry that it reinforces the stereotype that women, and blondes in particular, are stupid and vapid. Granted, Miss Hilton does a fine job of reinforcing it herself, but as the son of a brilliant blonde woman who got discouraged from pursuing a number of careers she would have kicked ass at and as a researcher in a field that has benefitted from the insights of more than a few blonde women, I'd prefer it if people erred on the side of caution on that subject. Surely there are enough old white men who've said similar horse hockey that they could use.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Banned

Responses for Keveak when I have more time and brainpower 9_6

Quote Originally Posted by sharp41 View Post

It was brought up a bit.

But no, not really, as gender is a part of the software, not hardware. You can run Windows on a Mac platform and it's still windows, despite being put in the "wrong" case. If gender were such a simple choice, merely one f societal construction or physical convenience, then it stands to reason people with gender issues wouldn't get so upset (if they had issues at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I can't imagine how someone could make small talk with me more awkward than it naturally is, so I'm going to say less.
    I find you quite pleasant to talk to, actually. Granted, pleasant and awkward, but still pleasant

No, it's the semiparanoid notion that half my friends know, half my friends don't, and while I don't care if they know, I care I'd they find out. The transistors state is uncomfortable. I blew SotS' mind for a minute with a joke, just two weeks ago.

And then my client broke. Hmm... *looks into Mod sabotage!*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    If not for the flirting coming to a head recently, I'd say there's never a time it isnt appropriate to love fest.

I basically agree with SiuiS on the poster, but I do worry that it reinforces the stereotype that women, and blondes in particular, are stupid and vapid. Granted, Miss Hilton does a fine job of reinforcing it herself, but as the son of a brilliant blonde woman who got discouraged from pursuing a number of careers she would have kicked ass at and as a researcher in a field that has benefitted from the insights of more than a few blonde women, I'd prefer it if people erred on the side of caution on that subject. Surely there are enough old white men who've said similar horse hockey that they could use.
    I think that stereotype is finally dying down, thank goodness.
    Besides, is Paris blond? I figured she was just as transient in color and texture as the next gossip rag idol.

... And then I recognize the irony of decrying excessive making up of one's looks while simultaneously planning to follow through with similar. Universe y u so ferrous?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-09-22 at 04:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Tenant also spent a considerable amount of time focused on being the doctor. Word has it that his goal when he started acting was to be the doctor, and he even ended up marrying the fifth(?) doctor's daughter. Who is in his blood.

His skill at acting is pretty slick though. If you can get past the hair.
    I think (based on past Wikipedia readings) that he married "his" daughter from the episode where
    Spoiler
    Show
    there are some fish-people and some humans fighting, and he gets cloned. "The Doctor's Daughter".
    Which is a little weird.
    Edit: Oh, okay. Yeah, she's the daughter of the Fifth's actor, and the Tenth's character. Wikipedia.

I was aware of this, but seeing your luxurious flowing hair in that first picture, after spending an hour last night breakin up some natural dreads, I wanna punch you ):v
    Sorry. Would it help if I told you that some days it took me half an hour to brush it out?

The purpose of a freshman is to conform and survive long enough to develop their own opinions. The way college is now just a part of the usual track instead of a conscious, adult decision means a lot of the growing up in high school people used to do is deferred until college now. Give them a bit, they'll either grow up or prove they have no worth and shouldn't be listened to.
    It's not like I know more than one or two of them anyway, I've just been hearing all this crap on the grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    NOOOOO! How could you ruin that beautiful mane!
    You're not alone, a couple of girls shed tears, and one guy held me down to the table and started shouting about alien imposters in the middle of the dining hall...

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Oh gosh, Nopa (... your name here is hard to remember past that!). That was BEAUTIFUL hair. I envy it forever. I want hair JUST like that.

Yeah, you look good with short hair too. But man. That's some AWESOME hair you had a year ago.
    Thanks! Most of the girls I knew were also jealous. Especially when they asked how I took care of it, and I explained I just wash and condition daily (usually a bad idea to wash hair daily, fyi), don't brush it while it's wet (that's bad), brush it two or three times daily (I had to when it was that long), and trim off four or six inches every eight months or so when it's getting uneven. But I don't get split ends.

I've put on a lot of weight again and am feeling really unattractive despite efforts to exercise and watch what I eat.
    *hugs* I can sympathise a bit. I only have a few kilos extra right now, but I'm finding it harder to lose than I did last year. Probably my metabolism changing towards the end of puberty.

@ noparlpf - I am seething with jealousy right now.
    I'm feeling a weird mix of apologetic and smug after all these responses.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-22 at 05:04 AM.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

A few extra pounds is attractive on 6-armed aliens. You're not from the planet Zeist, are you?

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I really wish that stereotype would die down, it is both misogynistic and really really nonsensically chromatist-Colorist... Is there a word for discrimination based on colours? I know there is one for skin-colour, but is there an overall one? :3

Back on topic, the stereotype exist even in Scandinavia. Not that we are very good at gender equality, but with so many blonde people it gets really weird. Did have an old people discrimination problem once too, though.

Responses for Keveak when I have more time and brainpower 9_6
    Sorry, I think I might be turning into a Mind-flayer recently. ^_^'

My main point was basically that you should both talk it over and see if it is possible to find a solution that leaves both of you happy. I cannot imagine your filly being glad that you would be miserable, even if you were miserable for your filly's sake.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #1350

Missed these two the last time through.

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    So I had my first therapist appointment today. I really got lucky because even though it was just an evaluation thing and so I got a random therapist until the evaluation is complete, the therapist I talked to had experience with trans* issues and was really understanding. Even though I was really nervous, it felt so good just to physically tell someone about being trans and not just endlessly turn it over in my head.
    That's great. Hope the next session goes just as well.

My sister stopped being properly blonde recently. (I used to be blonde, I think it's a family thing to be blonde as a kid and then get darker after a while.) But now she's acting "blonde". She just entered middle school. Supposedly she's fairly intelligent, but she certainly acts the vapid ditz very well. I suppose it's good she waited until not being blonde to act this way, so at least she's not reinforcing the stereotype, but I still think of her as blonde, so she's reinforced the stereotype in my mind.
    Jude P.