New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default First-Time Warblade/Crusader BUild

I'm working out a build for my first Tome of Battle character, and I was considering the following level progression: Warblade 7/Crusader 3/Eternal Blade 10

With 19 STR, 16 CON and CHA, and 15 DEX and INT, I feel like this is a workable build. My main concern is the balance between Warblade and Crusader levels, and the order in which I should take them. Would it make sense to take all seven Warblade levels first and then hop into Crusader to start with level 2 manoeuvres? Or is there a more effective progression?

This is my first time building a martial adept, so any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: First-Time Warblade/Crusader BUild

First question: what is your DM's position on XP penalty for multi-classing? This will have an impact on your decisions.

Second question: what is your DM's position on Half-elf qualifying as an elf for Eternal Blade? RAW half-elf does not meet the Elf prerequisite for the prestige class, but there is some debate about the matter among those who feel that RAI it should work.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My DM is not applying any XP penalties for multiclassing.

My DM is allowing Half-Elves to qualify for the Eternal Blade.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, great. You should be okay with any elf or half-elf then (honestly, the half-elf only becomes preferable if the elf would take XP penalties).

Warblade and Crusader both benefit from having two levels in another class, as it allows you to pick up some higher-level stances that are otherwise difficult to acquire without taking Martial Stance as a feat. This is due to the fact that other classes count as 1/2 level for determining your initiator level. I always take even levels when multi-classing out of a martial adept class for this reason. So Warblade 2/Crusader 8 or Warblade 8/Crusader 2 would each give you 9 initiator levels in your primary Martial Adept class, and 6 initiator levels in your secondary Martial Adept Class. Primary 7/Secondary 3 nets you 8/6 IL whereas Primary 6/Secondary 4 nets you 8/7 IL.

EDIT: One other consideration is that some DMs insist that your first-level of a Martial Adept class you can only take level-1 stances. Read the description for Stances Known in each class and you will see what I mean. This can impact your decision about what level to take your first level in the secondary martial adept class.
    Last edited by BowStreetRunner; 2012-09-17 at 01:07 PM.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer going Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10 TBH; but if you use your Crusader to pick up some pre-req maneuvers for Devoted spirit that would work quite well.

I suggest being lawful so you can pick Aura of Perfect order and take 11 once per round.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Why Warblade 7/Crusader 3? If you took another level of Warblade, you'd get 3rd-level maneuvers with your Crusader levels, which is quite nice.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

If this is your first ToB character, I would suggest strait Warblade 20, Crusader 20, or Swordsage 20. There are some quirks to the rules and the style of play encouraged by each class and Discipline. Devoted Spirit and Crusader class abilities encourage defensive tanking and rapid use of maneuvers (because they automatically refill at random), Iron Heart and Warblade class features encourage Int/Str based and Power Attack combos, and Desert Wind/Setting Sun/Shadow Hand and Swordsage class features encourage mobility, counters, and hit and run tactics.

So before you jumble them together and try to cherry pick the best parts, you should try a few dry runs where you just run a Crusader as a Crusader or run a Warblade as a Warblade. This is particularly true if you intend to eventually use a odd duck PrC like Eternal Blade, which offers a jumble of Disciplines and Int to X bonuses, with no really big standout abilities until you get to it's amazing 20th level capstone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Griffon

There is a popular homebrew errata to Tome of Battle online since WOTC doesn't have one. Inquire with your DM if he will use it. If not, then it is important you take two crusader levels before you reach warblade level 4 else you won't get a 3rd level warblade stance. The stance progression for the adepts do not match when stances are available. It's the one real flaw of the book. The errata compensates this a bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Another way to plan it is to look at the maneuvers/stances you would gain at each level and work out a progression that gives you the best options. The charts below show the maneuvers learned and stances learned at each level, along with the highest level of maneuver for that level. Note that an 'r' indicates you do not get a new maneuver, but you can replace an old maneuver with a new one.

Warblade 1-10
    {table=head]Level|Class|Initiator Level|Maneuver Level|Maneuvers Learned|Stances Learned
    1st|Warblade 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2nd|Warblade 2|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    3rd|Warblade 3|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    4th|Warblade 4|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    5th|Warblade 5|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    6th|Warblade 6|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    7th|Warblade 7|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    8th|Warblade 8|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    9th|Warblade 9|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    10th|Warblade 10|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    [/table]

Crusader 1-10
    {table=head]Level|Class|Initiator Level|Maneuver Level|Maneuvers Learned|Stances Learned
    1st|Crusader 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2nd|Crusader 2|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    3rd|Crusader 3|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    4th|Crusader 4|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    5th|Crusader 5|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    6th|Crusader 6|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    7th|Crusader 7|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    8th|Crusader 8|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    9th|Crusader 9|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    10th|Crusader 10|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    [/table]

Warblade 1-8 / Crusader 1-2
    1st|Warblade 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2nd|Warblade 2|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    3rd|Warblade 3|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    4th|Warblade 4|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    5th|Warblade 5|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    6th|Warblade 6|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    7th|Warblade 7|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    8th|Warblade 8|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    9th|Crusader 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    10th|Crusader 2|
    |
    |
    |
    [/table]

Warblade 1-6 / Crusader 1-2 / Warblade 7-8
    1st|Warblade 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2nd|Warblade 2|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    3rd|Warblade 3|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    4th|Warblade 4|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    5th|Warblade 5|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    6th|Warblade 6|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    |
    7th|Crusader 1|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    8th|Crusader 2|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    9th|Warblade 7|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    10th|Warblade 8|
    |
    |
    r
    |
    [/table]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enix18 View Post
    I'm working out a build for my first Tome of Battle character, and I was considering the following level progression: Warblade 7/Crusader 3/Eternal Blade 10

With 19 STR, 16 CON and CHA, and 15 DEX and INT, I feel like this is a workable build. My main concern is the balance between Warblade and Crusader levels, and the order in which I should take them. Would it make sense to take all seven Warblade levels first and then hop into Crusader to start with level 2 manoeuvres? Or is there a more effective progression?

This is my first time building a martial adept, so any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    1. Your build exists.
    2. Your build is entirely Tome of Battle.
    3. Therefore, your build is amazing.

Further questions?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Are you trying to build an idiot crusader your first time out?

If not, I'd second the opinion that you should probably hold off on multiclassing martial adepts.

If you insist, here's a possible option:

Monk 2/ Warblade X/ Crusader Y/ Master of Nine 3/ Eternal blade 10

If X equals 2, then Y equals 3; or vice-versa depending on whether you prefer battle ardor or zealous surge. You reach IL's 17 and 18. The monk levels are to cover the bulk of MoN's prereq's via OA's monk bonus feats list.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Monk 2/ Warblade X/ Crusader Y/ Master of Nine 3/ Eternal blade 10

If X equals 2, then Y equals 3; or vice-versa depending on whether you prefer battle ardor or zealous surge.
    Eternal Blade won't work there, requires BAB +10 to qualify. I'd avoid mixing in Monk or Mo9 on your first ToB character. Monk just dilutes it (and anything it can do is much better accomplished via Unarmed Swordsage). Mo9 suffers from Candy Store Syndrome... OMG look at all those maneuvers I can get! but getting the 5-6 prereq feats required probably weakens your build more than if you'd just stuck with a more focused Warblade 20 or Crusader 20 build (where your feats actually support your maneuvers/combat style).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Eternal Blade won't work there, requires BAB +10 to qualify. I'd avoid mixing in Monk or Mo9 on your first ToB character. Monk just dilutes it (and anything it can do is much better accomplished via Unarmed Swordsage). Mo9 suffers from Candy Store Syndrome... OMG look at all those maneuvers I can get! but getting the 5-6 prereq feats required probably weakens your build more than if you'd just stuck with a more focused Warblade 20 or Crusader 20 build (where your feats actually support your maneuvers/combat style).
    Bah, I should do the math on these things before I suggest them.

What I suggested was an adaption of my own favorite ToB character build.

Monk 2/ Warblade 2/ Swordsage 4 / MoN 5/ (martial adept) 7

For those last 12 levels I split up MoN with either more swordsage or warblade levels, or one of the other martial adept PrC's.

My current build that I'm toying with is

Monk 2/ Ranger 2/ swordsage 3/ warblade 3/ Bloodclaw master 5/ MoN 5

Though obviously not in that order.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

How does half-elf not qualify for Eternal Blade?
    Always write your character sheet as if you had to give it to someone else to play, and you had to accept and use the character sheet written by a different anonymous player.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mari01 View Post
    How does half-elf not qualify for Eternal Blade?
    A prerequisite of the class is "Race: Elf".

Half-Elves have the racial ability "Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf."

A prerequisite is not an effect.

There are other prestige classes with the prerequisite "Race: Elf or Half-Elf" (i.e. Champion of Corellon Larethian) which further reinforces the idea that it was not intended that Half-Elves could qualify for this class.

Therefore, it would be a good idea to ask your DM before building a half-elf Eternal Blade, just to be sure he won't rule against it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    I played a crusader/swordsage/master of nine and was quite satisfied. My maneuvers were enough to be a bada$$. I'm sure there are feats that synergize well with maneuvers. You can't argue with Power Attack/Emerald Razor or Two-Weapon Fighting tree with Girallon Windmill Fleshrip boost accompanied by Time Stands Still. However, that feats would take a back pedal to maneuvers for a master of nine build is not an issue. Using swift action Shadow Blink and move action Shadow Stride to move 100 ft to use White Raven Hammer auto-hitting on an 11 in Aura of Perfect Order stance to stun, no save the bad guy for a round, plus some damage, is far more important and effective than worrying about Dodge as one of my feats. Tome of Battle is just that good.
    Last edited by navar100; 2012-09-18 at 03:33 PM.