New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Bandit's Secret

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Bandit's Secret

I'm currently trying to create a character who's sole purpose is to steal the abilities of others and place them in a book for future use. Im looking to steal such abilities as (SU) (PSI Like) (EX) and (Spell like) and i was wondering what existing spells/feats/powers/templates could help me accomplish such a task?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bandit's Secret

Ithillid savant fits the bill as far as crunch goes.

Spellthief somewhat does what you are lookign for.

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateWench

what book is Ithillid savant in

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Savage Species. You eat people's brains to get their knowledge and abilities.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Worth noting that you have to be an illithid to be one.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrtt View Post
    Worth noting that you have to be an illithid to be one.
    Or use some dirty tricks to sneak in and qualify without being one. Likely to cause book throwing from the DM tho.

7. - Top - End - #7

While I'm away from my book I can't recall what the pre-reqs are...what kind of tricks are we talking about?
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

8. - Top - End - #8

While I'm away from my book I can't recall what the pre-reqs are...what kind of tricks are we talking about?
    Same ones allowing characters to qualify for beholder mage, PaO and similar stuff.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Mind Flayer, Know: Arcane 10, and eating a brain.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, complete psionic might give a non-cheesy entry for other races.

Doesn't the capstone of flayer-spawn psychic say that you forever-after count as a mind-flayer? You won't finish illithid savant until epic without early entry shennanigans, but that might be a legit way in.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

No... doesn't look like it. Just a bunch of feats and some Psi Blast.

... and I'd rather eat the finest cheese imported from Italia than touch the CP.

Not that you need to finish Savant. 5 Levels will let you sample a good number of abilities.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-13 at 09:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is always Mind Rape+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Simulacrum+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Ice Assassin+Fusion+Astral Seed.

You can pick up any and every ability in the game as many times as you want, although it's quite cheesy.

As for Ithillid savant, it works but it is the single most powerful class in the entire game.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It's also really cool. So damn cool.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    There is always Mind Rape+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Simulacrum+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Ice Assassin+Fusion+Astral Seed.

You can pick up any and every ability in the game as many times as you want, although it's quite cheesy.

As for Ithillid savant, it works but it is the single most powerful class in the entire game.
    We might as well go the full route and suggest manipulate form, leading into Pun-Pun.
    Last edited by docnessuno; 2012-11-13 at 09:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

I had a friend who was playing in an Epic game as one and the DM allowed him to have eaten the brains of 10 sufficiently powerful creatures in his backstory. Basically let him make whatever character he wanted. Cheap.

It also required him to have access to epic spellcasting and he came up with a custom spell that allowed him to instantly devour the brains of any dead creatures within 50 feet as if he had devoured them normally. The DM let him go for it too.

I suggested he start herding humans and make them take toughness as their feats. 50 humans with toughness twice later and you've got yourself 300 HP permanently for the price of one casting of an epic spell unless there's something wacky in there about not being able to steal the same feat more than once that I missed.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateWench

Couldnt you just be a channeling(la +0) and take the racial emulation feat and call it a day lol

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by SoliaTera View Post
    I'm currently trying to create a character who's sole purpose is to steal the abilities of others and place them in a book for future use. Im looking to steal such abilities as (SU) (PSI Like) (EX) and (Spell like) and i was wondering what existing spells/feats/powers/templates could help me accomplish such a task?
    You wouldn't be a reader/watcher of Hunter X Hunter would you?

18. - Top - End - #18

dndtools says that works for humanoids and mind flayers are Abberations (right?) so I don't think that would work.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Couldnt you just be a channeling(la +0) and take the racial emulation feat and call it a day lol
    Not at all. A changeling with racial emulation can mimic any humanoid creature he likes, but mind-flayers are abberations and consequently not a valid choice for the race or the feat to emulate.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    Yes i would be my dear sir! :D

and what cheesy way are there to qualify for it without being a well you know

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Yes i would be my dear sir! :D

and what cheesy way are there to qualify for it without being a well you know
    I believe there are some 3rd party psionic powers that allow you to run Lucifer nicely. That guy is so badass.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    I believe there are some 3rd party psionic powers that allow you to run Lucifer nicely. That guy is so badass.

What third party psiconics books are you speaking of and could you name those certain power and I KNOW!!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

What third party psiconics books are you speaking of and could you name those certain power and I KNOW!!
    I think they are all from Hyperconscious.
    IIRC, the powers are called Thieving Mindlink, Feat Leech and Leech Power Known.

Spellthief kinda does it by default and it kind of fits his modus operandi, specially with Godsblood Spelltheft.

There is a 3rd party class focused on stuff like this, as well - meet the Taskhaper.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-11-13 at 11:05 PM.