New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: You did what with that?

Giant steaming pot of soup in an attempt to locate invisible adversary...

"Can I throw this pot of soup in an arc so we can see the guy that just went invisible?"
    "Uh, yeah, why not. Miss chance and whatnot... make a touch attack, -4 for improvised..."
    (rolls...)
    "Nat twenty!"
    "There he is. Get 'im."
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I had a wand once, and our DM plays with older rules where if you break a magic weapon, a big boom occurs.

"!" "I have an idea... I go invisible." "Okay, now want?" "I move up to the dead body and place the wand under the body."

"Okay what good is that going to do against the li-!"

"I am a sneaky little death midget, I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."

Out of character my friend says,

"You blow up the dead body of Harlin's dad, and I will kill you."

"... smallcool: I am strangely okay with that, you never saw me place the wand anyway."

One high sleight of hand check later, and a called shot on the wand, and we have one lich in very many pieces.
    Last edited by HunterColt22; 2012-11-20 at 09:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Just had the party I'm running through RHoD do the first encounter. The archivist nailed Uth Lar with Hold Person after Uth Lar had ripped open the Totemist. The Alchemist was a little irritated by that, so he pulled out a bomb and shoved it down Uth Lar's mouth.

They're allegedly Good aligned.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonnerd View Post
    brown mold had infested parts of the mine....[/spoiler]
    Oh my god this is brilliant. I am so stealing this - and until now there was no brown mold in my game because I considered it dumb, but this just brought it all the way back around to "so awesome I no longer care if it's dumb or not" (which frankly is about the best I can hope for with much of D&D stuff).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Just had the party I'm running through RHoD do the first encounter. The archivist nailed Uth Lar with Hold Person after Uth Lar had ripped open the Totemist. The Alchemist was a little irritated by that, so he pulled out a bomb and shoved it down Uth Lar's mouth.

They're allegedly Good aligned.
    We have done that once. Our party member survived the experience, the other guy not so much, and before this the druid wild shaped into an adult dragon and bit off his arm, that enemy was not having a good day.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Coal seam fires burn entirely underground - as in the coal that's completely encased in rock is burning. Also, technically by RAW the growth would be exponential, since each round the patch would double in size.
    Yes but the mold absorbs heat. And without heat the coal can not burn.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Foe: Monsterously Sized Boar, looking like it is about to charge the party Barbarian, who is trying to intimidate them and doing nothing but drawing attention to himself.
    Me: Halfling ranger who happened to have in his hands (because we had just finished climbing a cliff face) a grappling hook and rope. As a move action he throws the other end of the rope around a decent sized tree, and ties it off (nat 20 use rope) and ready's his standard action to throw the grappling hook if either boar decides to charge. Sure enough, the boar charges.
    DM gave me a ranged touch attack at a -10 penalty to do a ranged trip attempt. A second nat 20. DM does some math.

"The hook manages to lodge itself perfectly in and about the genetal area. When the rope went taut, you watched as the boar pretty much snapped himself in half. It's dead from sheer spinal stress, though it if matters, it's pelvic region is shattered and torn open."

Me:
    I make victory bacon later.
    (I rolled critical bacon)
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Yes but the mold absorbs heat. And without heat the coal can not burn.
    The mold feeds on heat, true. However, nowhere does it say that it extinguishes a flame.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thinking with real world physics, it is entirely possible that the Mold would absorb all the excess CO2, rather than it building up and stiffling the fire.
    At the same point, the mold would potentiall expand to the point where the fire might not have air flow.
    BUT, most molds feed on CO2 and produce oxygen.

So my answer is a resounding "um, I dunno"
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

my 1st campaign even...
    my 1st session ever...
    i was a lvl1 rogue...

DM: ok.. you climbed the cliff and now you see an orc scout sleeping ander a tree...
    Me: i sneak behind him and ready my dagger to Coup de grace him..
    DM: you mean the dagger you used as foothold a while ago at the bottom of the cliff???
    Me: ehh.. hmmm... wait a min...

I open my phb... and started to browse it fast...
    until i found a picture of the thieve's tools kit...

Looking at DM whith a big smile...
    Me: See that little saw here?(showing him the pic)..

well... he got so excited i pulled that off at my 1st session that i got awarded a lvl :)
    Spoiler: Characters' Codex
    Show

The following are character concepts that are created as TheoryCraft, and i would be most delighted to try in a game.

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier
    Sources used: Core, Monsters of the Multiverse, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn
    Looking for an adventure...

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

11. - Top - End - #41

RogueGuy

Coal seam fires burn entirely underground - as in the coal that's completely encased in rock is burning. Also, technically by RAW the growth would be exponential, since each round the patch would double in size.
    But a single Frost spell would destroy it all. Sometimes a Cantrip (Ray of Frost) WOULD come in handy. Before casting it, you should ask for more reward and then yell "Surprise" after you've cast the spell, destroying a cubic mile or so of Brown Mold in one big puff.

My DM once allowed a chunk of "real world" Physics to enter our DnD game. Some sort of bad guys came running down a hallway, towards the room we were in. Within the room there was a pit with some nasty tentacle monster inside, and the bad guys was going to run around the pit. I readied an action to cast Grease on the floor infront of the pit, in the area where the bad guys would have to make the turn.

The bad guys slipped on the Grease (due to momentum, which really doesn't exist in DnD), and shot right down into the pit, where they were promptly eaten. And there was much rejoicing.
    Last edited by Thespianus; 2012-11-20 at 03:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Once in position, he waved the wand and uttered the magic word. And what did he summon to drop into the potential zone of death? A puppy, a cute, innocent celestial puppy that shouted up at him the question of "Why?" which only my Cleric could understand, before it went splat against the sand some 100 ft below and was whisked away to the outer planes.
    Your cleric was the only one in the party that spoke/understood Common? Must have been an interesting adventure.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Your cleric was the only one in the party that spoke/understood Common? Must have been an interesting adventure.
    Reminds me of a party that was 3 druids and a rogue. Every one made fun of the rogue in druidic but the rogue could never understand it. The rogue's player did though, and it was hilarious.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Reminds me of a party that was 3 druids and a rogue. Every one made fun of the rogue in druidic but the rogue could never understand it. The rogue's player did though, and it was hilarious.
    +1 Internet for good RP all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

15. - Top - End - #45

A bag of holding full of oil and a 7th-level wizard makes for improvised thermobaric weaponry. Fun times.

One of the players in my current group claims to have dealt two thousand damage with a pair of pants.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    One of the players in my current group claims to have dealt two thousand damage with a pair of pants.
    What. The. Snuggle.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

@^ Enchant them so they fire about fifty fireballs per use.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Artificers get to have the most fun out of all my characters. In a scorching desert world, I used a combination of decanter of endless water and summoned brown mold (via mold touch) to produce an icy kingdom. Then I gave myself the cold subtype and hung out there for quite a while. Creating an ice palace in the middle of boiling hot desert for under 20k gp is something I'm pretty proud of.
    I also liked using minor creation to produce jeffrey pine resin. A plant extract, it is violently explosive. And I do mean violently, it's destroyed several factories in small quantities.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. The. Snuggle.
    Apparently it was some kind of Epic ubercharging Drunken Master build.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

@^ Thank you. I missed the white text.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very high level game, we used a large portable hole filled with a very potent holy water (did 8d6 damage per flask). Filled it and covered the open hole (laying on the ground) with the rug that was originally there. I was a large monk/paladin who specialized in grappling.

Vecna ended up walking up near it as we laid it early, and he had to get in range for a spell. I used the boots of teleportation (on a held action) to get on the flanking side of Vecna from the hidden hole. I succeed the grapple and was able to push him back 5 foot, as we fell into the hole. The thief/shadowdancer (on a held action) did a shadow jump to the hole and folded it up. I had a ring of water breathing as well.

Between the damage we had already inflicted, my grapple (with unarmed strike damage), and being submerged in this very potent holy water, Vecna could not make the DC to cast teleport (with his strength being 24, and max load being 700 pounds, he likely couldn't have done so anyway with be weighing 1000 pounds). He died in just 3 rounds of being submerged.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

This isn't me killing something, but once opon a campaign i was playing a dragonfire adept, we faced a very long boat ride probubly riddles with random encounters, so I use my breath weapon that renews every turn and turned our man poweres row boat into a jet bowered boat
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Dragontouched Feat; Almost as bad as "Lichloved"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    stuff
    Being that Vecna is the diety of secrets and he knows EVERYTHING in his domain and portfolio,... I find it hard to believe he wouldnt have automatically known about the trap.
    Literally, the only way to keep a secret from Vecna, is NOT to keep a secret. I would call that very poor handling of dieties, regardless of the level.
    From a casual, fun perspective tho,... nice.

As far as using items in unusual ways... I had one of my players use a medium sized half-fiend creature that he hated and finally beat down, as a improvised weapon to attack my end game boss(who had given them the choice to surrender, enter the prison so you can break out type deal)
    Instead because he proceded to attempt to use this creature to beat on my end game boss, he was fried on the spot. Later arose, barely alive as the only person not in prison.
    Last edited by Silentone98; 2012-11-21 at 03:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silentone98 View Post
    Being that Vecna is the diety of secrets and he knows EVERYTHING in his domain and portfolio,... I find it hard to believe he wouldnt have automatically known about the trap.
    Literally, the only way to keep a secret from Vecna, is NOT to keep a secret. I would call that very poor handling of dieties, regardless of the level.
    From a casual, fun perspective tho,... nice.
    I agree completely. We talked openly about schemes to try in public before deciding on this trick. But since we were not telling Vecna as we tried to lure him near it, you are completely right. He should have seen right through the plot. Overall we thought it would take me and the enlarged dwarf to wrestle him into the hole, have it sealed up, and he (the dwarf) would likely drown and have to be resurrected in the process.

Love that idea. Beat a MF'er... with another MF'er.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by O.L.Scudmungus View Post
    On the run and trapped within a harem, confronted with a 50' wall and no rope, surrounded by beautiful defenseless women, I casually asked the DM if he could remember how long the human intestinal tract was.

Ah, the memories of the look on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    (I rolled critical bacon)
    You, sir, win at the English language.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

26. - Top - End - #56

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by O.L.Scudmungus View Post
    On the run and trapped within a harem, confronted with a 50' wall and no rope, surrounded by beautiful defenseless women, I casually asked the DM if he could remember how long the human intestinal tract was.

Ah, the memories of the look on his face.

Trapped in a harem full of beautiful women, where presumably silk is easily acquirable, (you know silk, the stuff you braid a rope from), with the added bonus that it gives you a good excuse to make that naked beautiful women, and your first thought is a disemboweling?

I have GOT to get into a World of Darkness game with you.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    I agree completely. We talked openly about schemes to try in public before deciding on this trick. But since we were not telling Vecna as we tried to lure him near it, you are completely right. He should have seen right through the plot.
    I imagine simply telling him doesn't quite work either, lol
    He is a tricky fellow to figure out how to mess with.
    I have to amend that tho... I suppose setting up Vecna's death with full intention of showing him by using the method immediately, is in effect not keeping a secret at all. Such a tough call.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post

My DM once allowed a chunk of "real world" Physics to enter our DnD game. Some sort of bad guys came running down a hallway, towards the room we were in. Within the room there was a pit with some nasty tentacle monster inside, and the bad guys was going to run around the pit. I readied an action to cast Grease on the floor infront of the pit, in the area where the bad guys would have to make the turn.

The bad guys slipped on the Grease (due to momentum, which really doesn't exist in DnD), and shot right down into the pit, where they were promptly eaten. And there was much rejoicing.
    Eh, I'd allow that. Give them a reflex save or Acrobatics check, but I'd allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Trapped in a harem full of beautiful women, where presumably silk is easily acquirable, (you know silk, the stuff you braid a rope from), with the added bonus that it gives you a good excuse to make that naked beautiful women, and your first thought is a disembowelling?
    This evaluation somehow makes the scene even more funny .

Player 1: {Lengthy description of their logical reasoning for why their plan should work}
    GM {hesitantly}: "Um, okay... after minutes of blood, screams and unquestionable evil you've fashioned a makeshift rope and climbed over the wall."
    Player 2 enters room again.
    Player 2: "What was that about makeshift ropes?"
    GM {slightly shaken still}: "Player 1 just escaped the palace via the harem."
    Players 2: "Aww man, I missed a harem? Now I wish I didn't escape via the poop-chute in the kings quarters! Did you at least keep the rope? You could probably sell that."
    GM: "I don't think anyone would want to buy it really."
    Player 2: "Well it was a kings harem, they must have all been wearing some pretty high quality silk. That would sell for quite a bit."
    Player 1 face slowly shifts from realisation to terror.
    Player 1 {weakly}: "Oh no, what have I done?" [Optional Evil Ending]"All that potential loot I left behind!"[/Optional Evil Ending]
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    "You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Male