New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIV: A Lightning Arc in All But Speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So. . . . how did the castle summon lightning? Is Gil the reinventor of something mechanicsburg already had at some point?
    Gil had installed collectors all over town prior to the warstompers, and the Public Works people told Moloch they have been busy repairing them since they blew out in that attack. Now add the fact that the Castle told Zeetha Agatha has been working on some "calibrations" and it's likely this is a whole new deal.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Mmmm, tasty meat creatures.

I have a theory: do you wonder if Klaus intends to lose this fight?
    I'm almost certain of it.

He'd be following Agatha's orders, like he's programmed to as a Revenant.

(Note: The next page--or possibly the one after it, has Klaus shooting at her, so he at least might've been able to hear that)
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

I just like the Jaegers' name for Zeetha. Assuming that's not their name for Violetta (hey, she uses knives too, though I'd think they'd call her "Shneeky Gurl"). In which case, still funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I imagine he must realise the truth about that by now--it's not Agatha who's giving him the orders right now. Besides, if he *did* still believe that then he'd be in full-on Destroy Agatha mode, not attempting to capture her.
    Not just 'must have'--he recognized Lucrezia when she jammed her Spark-controlling Slaver wasp down his throat. That was a while ago, though.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Well. I suppose nothing beats town defense like a lightning moat running through the entirety of the streets.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Now der Kestle's just showing off...

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Oh Oggie, you casanova genius.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow. Higgs has it much worse than I thought. His normal unflappability hides the depths of his feelings.

Is he younger than the Boyz? They're calling him 'keed' and messing with him... I thought the Generals reached their rank by being the oldest and the best of the Jagers. Assuming Higgs IS the mysterious sixth General, him being a junior Jager would suggest he's even more exceptional that we've seen, to have risen so high so fast...

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

How old ARE the Jaegers? Are they functionally immortal unless violently killed or something?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

They're around 300 years old. Oggie has great-grandchildren in this town.

EDIT: Also, pretty much everyone is potentially immortal in this universe where resurrection is almost common. The laws of succession ( for royals & such ) even account for this, which I'm sure we'll see come into play in a big way when Tarvek tries to get his place in line back from that guy who was claiming it a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Kislath; 2013-01-28 at 09:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, 'Dots vy hy gots descendants!' is a great line.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    EDIT: Also, pretty much everyone is potentially immortal in this universe where resurrection is almost common. The laws of succession ( for royals & such ) even account for this, which I'm sure we'll see come into play in a big way when Tarvek tries to get his place in line back from that guy who was claiming it a few weeks ago.
    Resurrection is not really "common" -- you need a Spark to even try it and even then it don't vork much. So it is common in the sense that it is a known procedure.

Judging by canon resurrections it seems like the strength of a Spark (and inclinations) has a great impact on the likelihood of success. The Baron is a "biology Spark" and is likely one of the greatest resurrectionists in the world, being able to restore a body from charred bones. Dr. Sun, a specialized medical Spark, was only able to turn a freshly dead Selnikov into a Head in a Jar. Additionally there are different techniques -- presumably Gil chose the Si Vales Valeo treatment because it had a high probability of bringing someone back to life (although not necessarily sane).

...ok, this was mostly an excuse to do some Archive Trawling
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Dr. Sun, a specialized medical Spark, was only able to turn a freshly dead Selnikov into a Head in a Jar.
    I suspect Sun could have done far better, and it's likely that if he doesn't end up dead, he'll end up getting that new body he was promised. Keep in mind that his head was retrieved for information, as we've seen, you don't need a body to talk.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Colossus in the Playground

Cute. Really cute.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

All the ladies swoon.

16. - Top - End - #166

So all I need to get the hot and strong gurlz to lurv me is to body slam a giant monster in the middle of main street? Good to know.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Zeetha... Zeetha's got it pretty bad, too.This is such an interesting courtship.

"What's he going to do, SPANK me?" Ah yes, another one for XXXenophile: The Girl Genius edition...

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

So all I need to get the hot and strong gurlz to lurv me is to body slam a giant monster in the middle of main street? Good to know.
    That's why it's called a 'crush'.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Zeetha... Zeetha's got it pretty bad, too.This is such an interesting courtship.
    Indeed. Dear Zeetha, he can't pursue you if you're not running from him. The real question is "How slowly do you want to run?"
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be."
    --Kirien, Seeker's Mask

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    That's why it's called a 'crush'.
    Badom-Tish!
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

21. - Top - End - #171

It's that easy? Who knew?
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

22. - Top - End - #172

Snerk. "Mechanicsburg Shipping".
    Play your character, not your alignment.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, so Higgs is someone the Castle knows, doesn't want to anger, but would be angry at someone who tries to teach Agatha how to fight to stay alive.

He's Lestat.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Now THIS is interesting: Der Kestle thinks Higgs' secret is so potent he'd feel the need to kill Zeetha if she found out prematurely. With the Other running around I can see why the mysterious sixth Jager general (if that's what Higgs is) wouldn't want news of his existence being bandied about. Of course der Kestle might be overstating the situation, not knowing Zeetha well enough and misreading Higgs. But all this might hint Higgs' secret is even bigger than Jagerdom, and we might want to be prepared for even greater revelations than we've had so far...

25. - Top - End - #175

Not how I understood it.

The logic as I understood it:

If I tell you who Higgs is, I have to kill you.
    You want to teach Agatha how to survive.
    I think teaching Agatha to survive is a good thing.
    So I won't tell you who Higgs is, so I don't have to kill you.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Now THIS is interesting: Der Kestle thinks Higgs' secret is so potent he'd feel the need to kill Zeetha if she found out prematurely. With the Other running around I can see why the mysterious sixth Jager general (if that's what Higgs is) wouldn't want news of his existence being bandied about. Of course der Kestle might be overstating the situation, not knowing Zeetha well enough and misreading Higgs. But all this might hint Higgs' secret is even bigger than Jagerdom, and we might want to be prepared for even greater revelations than we've had so far...
    Seventh general. The sixth is late and possibly a traitor. Personally, I think the missing general is off to fight the incoming army from sturmhalten or something of that sort.

And all things considered, I'm divided on whether Higgs being more than just an airman dedicated to getting out alive has been a good plot development. On the one hand, his unflappable nature made the antics in the castle much more interesting. On the other, it made the setting more interesting to have more people who stayed alive just by being awesome without the need for being a spark or a construct. So far we have Zeetha and Moloch in that category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I read it as Higgs would have to kill Zeetha if Zeetha knew Higg's secret, and that der Kestle would find that amusing but terribly inconvenient.
    As if der Kestle weren't awesome enough already, I'm really digging it lately. He's ( it's? ) really perked up a bit and showing more personality.
    It reminds me of Star Trek's "Q."
    Very powerful, terribly bored, and easily amused by the antics of mere mortals.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    OK, so Higgs is someone the Castle knows, doesn't want to anger, but would be angry at someone who tries to teach Agatha how to fight to stay alive.

He's Lestat.
    No, the Kestle is fine with her doing that, that's why he's not getting her killed. And Higgs is fine with that too. It's the secret of Higgs being known that'd make him have to kill that person.
    Last edited by kagato23; 2013-02-01 at 01:40 PM.
    /co/ is love.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by kagato23 View Post
    No, the Kestle is fine with her doing that, that's why he's not getting her killed.

He'd have tried to get Zeetha dead if she'd been trying to teach Agatha to be a HERO (we've already seen it's thoughts on heroes, who no doubt in old mechanisburg were viewed somewhat different then other parts of the world)
    For most of Europe, a "hero" was probably whoever managed to kill the latest Heterodyne.
    The Castle just thought that forced Death By Higgs would be hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Ah castle, I've missed you.

I've been thinking Higgs may be Carson von Mekkahn's (the seneschal) son, who also supposedly died when the castle went kaboom in the Others attack. As the seneshal at the time of the attack he would know and be known by the castle, could be considered the "keed" by the Jagers, and may know what really happened that night and where the Heterodyne's went; all secrets he would probably kill to keep from everyone except Agatha.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.