New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

A? 239 I don't understand the question. There is nothing in 3.5 with the name "Character Creation Feats". All feats are taken as part of character creation or advancement. Depending on what level you build a character at, any feat could conceivably be one that you take at "creation".

2. - Top - End - #482
    Halfling in the Playground

Re: A239
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkan View Post
    A? 239 I don't understand the question. There is nothing in 3.5 with the name "Character Creation Feats". All feats are taken as part of character creation or advancement. Depending on what level you build a character at, any feat could conceivably be one that you take at "creation".
    Upon further reflection maybe I was getting really D&D mixed up with Neverwinter Nights? I don't remember the name, but there were some backstory or history feats that could only be taken at 1st level. Anything like this in PnP D&D?
    My current campaign: Tyellador: Relics Unearthed
    My DM Screen: Custom 3.5 DM Screen

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

A 239: There are extensive listings of such feats (Campaign settings are one such place to find them) , but I don't know of a consolidated list. I suggest you open a new thread to discuss.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    A228: The Dread Commando prestige class from Heroes of Battle has a class feature called "Armored Ease" which allows you to subtract up to 4 from your armor check penalty.
    Is there perhaps an armor upgrade I could perches, or other solution that doesn't require investment of class levels? Those are REALLY tight on my build right now.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thorvaldr View Post
    Re: A239

Upon further reflection maybe I was getting really D&D mixed up with Neverwinter Nights? I don't remember the name, but there were some backstory or history feats that could only be taken at 1st level. Anything like this in PnP D&D?
    A 239

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide has background feats (or called something extremely similar) which reflect your character's upbringing and can only be taken at level 1.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 239
    Here is a decent list. Just click the "1st level only" box before you hit search.

http://www.realmshelps.net/datafind/feats.shtml
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A 228 Additional

The Nimbleness armor property (Magic Item Compendium p 13) reduces the armor check penalty by 2, among other things.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 240 Does Metaphysical Weapon improve magical weapons, or does it only work in mundane weapons? I.e. if it is manifested in a +1 weapon would it make it count as a +2 for the duration of the power?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

A 240

No. While you can manifest the power on a magic weapon (or a masterwork weapon) the enhancement bonuses will not stack. Unless you invest additional power points to increase the enhancement bonus provided by metaphysical wepon to at least +2, manifesting it on a +1 weapon will do nothing.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-06-21 at 08:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q241

Is there a DC for writing or drawing while both yourself and your materials are invisible?

Spoiler
    Show
    My Hordificer character enjoys spending the first round of combat whipping out a sheet of canvas and his trusty paintbrush and using Craft (Calligraphy) to produce a blueprint of whatever his constructs are fighting at the time for future immortilization in Effigy form.

Problem is I just got a Ring of Invisibility and am unsure what the DC is to write or draw while invisible.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 242: If I make my Teleportation Circle with A crushed invisible Amber, will my rune be invisible?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 243

What happens if, say, a Nightwalker uses its Summon Undead to summon a dread wraith, which then kills something? Does this create a wraith spawn, and after the dread wraith's summon ends does the resulting wraith stay enslaved to it, to the nightwalker, or is it free?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

A 242

As a material component, the amber dust is destroyed upon casting the spell, therefore its visibility has no bearing on that of the circle.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Q 244 What book and what page is Spell Blade found in?
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A244
    PGtF 120, 1 word.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-06-21 at 09:48 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

A 243

The wraith are under command of the dread wraith until the dread wraith dies.

The nightwalker's summon undead ability is supernatural so it does not follow summon spell and spell-like ability mechanics which would keep the dread wraiths control anyway. Since it is supernatural the dread wrath doesn't disappear at the end of the duration the nightwalker just loses control of the dread wraith.

With normal summoning the dread wraith would have still controlled the wraiths despite possibly being on another plane.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 245 Does a Attacking while invisible A. Treat the opponent at flat-footed, B. Deny Dex bonus to AC, C. Allow for a sneak attack (if the attacker has the class ability) or D. Any or all of the above?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

A 245

B, which generally implies C.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

A 245

Generally B and C. Invisibility denies the DEX bonus to AC and thus enables Sneak Attack. Note however that this only applies if the target cannot perceive the invisible creature. Being invisible does nothing if the target can see invisibility or can perceive the attacker through other sense (blind-sight, temorsense etc.)

Damn Sowrdsages.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-06-22 at 02:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q 246:

I seem to recall one of the planar books mentioning that interplanar portals function even on dead magic planes? Can someone confirm this for me and give a page number please? I can't find it again for the life of me.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2013-06-22 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

A246: It's actually in Core.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD The Planes
    Dead Magic
    These planes have no magic at all. A plane with the dead magic trait functions in all respects like an antimagic field spell. Divination spells cannot detect subjects within a dead magic plane, nor can a spellcaster use teleport or another spell to move in or out. The only exception to the “no magic” rule is permanent planar portals, which still function normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 247

Is there a spell to bind one or more people to another person or object, so that when this person/object is attacked the individuals bound to it are teleported there to help defend it?

It might have been a method using contingency, but I remember our mentor in one game letting us be bound to a dragon's egg that was involved in a prophecy, and he did so with a spell.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

A247
    Probably, but this is the sort of thing you want to start a thread on as there may be multiple ways.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    A247
    Probably, but this is the sort of thing you want to start a thread on as there may be multiple ways.
    Ah, ok. I looked at Q.4 in the first post and thought it was similar, but I can see how there might be various ways to do it as it is using spells, which have more variety and ways of combining, rather than just feats.

Will make a separate thread.

25. - Top - End - #505

Q 248

Geomancers still acquire and prepare spells in the normal manner for their individual spellcasting classes. When they cast them, however, they can mix or match spellcasting parameters from any of their classes
    Does this also apply to classes that have spellcasting parameters but can't actually cast spells, such as 3rd level Paladin or Ranger? I ask because the text describing the use of wands

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.)
    seems to imply that the class has it's 'spellcasting parameters' before actual spellcasting levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 249

Can any 1st level character take Martial Study (Shadow Blink) or Martial Study (Mountain Tombstone Strike)?

Q 250

Is there any rule prohibiting you from taking a stance as the maneuver for the Martial Study Feat?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-06-23 at 02:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #507

A 249 No. A character taking the Martial Study feat must meet the minimum Initiator Level requirements for the maneuver they are taking as desscribed on ToB p. 39.

A 250 No. Martial Study lets you learn one maneuver, and a stance is not a maneuver (ToB p. 43). The Martial Stance feat is required to learn stances without levls in a martial adept class.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

A 249 Contention

A 249 No. A character taking the Martial Study feat must meet the minimum Initiator Level requirements for the maneuver they are taking as desscribed on ToB p. 39.
    Generally this is true, but Martial study allows you to "Select any maneuver from the chosen discipline for which you meet the prerequisite." Prerequisites (or the lack thereof) are a property of each maneuver that is distinct from minimum Initiator Level.

A 250 Contention

A 250 No. Martial Study lets you learn one maneuver, and a stance is not a maneuver (ToB p. 43). The Martial Stance feat is required to learn stances without levls in a martial adept class.
    Great, p. 5 says the exact opposite:
    Quote Originally Posted by ToB p. 5
    Stance: A stance is a special type of maneuver.
    Now what is it?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground

A 249

No, you cannot take Martial Study for a maneuver until you have reached the appropriate initiator level. To remedy this, we must consult the section of Tome of Battle that defines what exactly a prerequisite is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Battle, page 44
    In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you know.
    Since the "certain set of requirements" (usually knowing X number of maneuvers from the same discipline) is in addition to meeting the class and level requirements, you do not meet the prerequisite for your chosen maneuver--you've only fulfilled the "certain set of requirements."

A 250

You cannot use Martial Study to learn a stance. The quoted text from page 5 is a general introduction to maneuvers, stances, and the like. On page 43, stances are defined in greater detail:

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Battle, page 43
    A stance is not a maneuver, but a specific fighting method that you maintain from round to round...Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers, or qualifying for prestige classes or feats.
    Stances are considered to be maneuvers in only very limited situations. "Learning a maneuver" is not one of them, therefore you cannot use Martial Study to learn a stance (though you can use its sister feat, Martial Stance).
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-23 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 251 The wild elf racial modifiers are: +4 Dex -2 Con -2 Int?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)