New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Q 281 inquiry

This is something that greatly depends on the text of the item so could you give us a specific item you have questions about.
    MIC - Gauntlet of infinite blades, p101

ETA: As an alternative, could I wear two different type gloves?
    Last edited by Gargravarr; 2013-06-26 at 07:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

A281 partial: In general, gloves come in pairs, like magic boots and bracers. Wearing just one glove will not have any effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

A 281

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Magic Items On The Body
    ...A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn...
    ...One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands...

...Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect....
    You cannot gain benefit from more than one magic item on your hands (rings are fingers and bracelets/bracers/etc. are arms.)

This particular magic item comes as a single gauntlet so you don't have two. You also can't take advantage of two of the gauntlets or this gauntlet and another single hand item since you can only take advantage of one hand item.

Of course if you aren't humanoid it doesn't say what your magic item limit is in the SRD.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-06-26 at 07:42 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Q 282

Concerning the Daring Warrior/Daring Outlaw feats from Complete Scoundrel; if you trade away the Swashbuckler's Grace class feature for Arcane Stunt (from Complete Mage), would Rogue levels progress Arcane Stunt, or does taking the ACF cut you off from the benefits of that feat (for Grace/Arcane Stunt)?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 281 additional info
    Of course if you aren't humanoid it doesn't say what your magic item limit is in the SRD.
    No, but it does in the book where this item is listed: Magic Item Compendium, on page 219, section SIZE AND SHAPE:
    Creatures never gain extra body slots for having extra body parts (for example, a marilith still has only one hands body slot and two rings body slots).
    A 282

Both Daring Outlaw and Daring Warrior have grace as prerequisites.
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    Trading away this Swashbuckler class feature makes these multiclassing feats unavailable.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-06-26 at 08:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Firbolg in the Playground

A282: If you trade away your Grace class feature, you do not qualify for Daring Outlaw or Daring Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Mage, pg 32
    Arcane stunt...replaces: You lose the grace class feature and all later improvements to that ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Scoundrel, pg 76
    Daring Outlaw...prerequisite: grace +1...Daring Warrior...prerequisite:...grace +1
    EDIT: Swordsaged, but keeping the citations.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-26 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 281You cannot gain benefit from more than one magic item on your hands (rings are fingers and bracelets/bracers/etc. are arms.)

This particular magic item comes as a single gauntlet so you don't have two. You also can't take advantage of two of the gauntlets or this gauntlet and another single hand item since you can only take advantage of one hand item.

Q 281 Clarification
    How does these rules interact with the gauntlet/spiked gauntlet 'weapon'? Is it possible to wear a pair of rings (Ring slot Item), a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power (hands slot item), a pair of spiked gauntlets (weapons), and still hold a longsword in the same hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    Q 281 Clarification
    How does these rules interact with the gauntlet/spiked gauntlet 'weapon'? Is it possible to wear a pair of rings (Ring slot Item), a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power (hands slot item), a pair of spiked gauntlets (weapons), and still hold a longsword in the same hand?
    You can wear two rings, a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and hold a sword just fine. Also wearing spiked gauntlets isn't covered but i would imagine you could have spiked gauntlets crafted into gauntlets of ogre power or work out some other way with your DM. These rules are only there to limit the number of active slotted magic items you can have, here is a link to the SRD on how many magic items you can have on.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

A 281 Addendum

To get the benefit of two gloves of infinite blades you could also make a custom item that is enchanted twice. According to the price guidelines this would cost 2.5 times as much as one glove of infinite blades. Whether this is the exact price and whether the item still takes the form of a single glove or is a pair of gloves is up to the DM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 281 Addendum

To get the benefit of two gloves of infinite blades you could also make a custom item that is enchanted twice. According to the price guidelines this would cost 2.5 times as much as one glove of infinite blades. Whether this is the exact price and whether the item still takes the form of a single glove or is a pair of gloves is up to the DM.
    re: A 281 Addendum

In this case it would take two swift actions and thus two turns (unless you have a way to get extra swift actions) to get two daggers.

Current avatar by me

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Woops my bad, I thought they were activated through a Free Action. Not so useful with a Swift Action. But you are in custom magic item territory so a DM could do all sorts of stuff, including getting up to X daggers per swift action.

Q 283

Do the improved daggers created by the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades also disappear after 3 rounds?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Q 284 Must multiple sources of concealment be rolled for separately to see if a miss accrues from each of them? (I am aware multiple concealment chances -- say, from Blur and from standing in a fog -- do not stack in that they do not increase the chance of missing from 20% to 40% on one roll; this is to ask whether you roll for the miss chance on Blur and then roll the miss chance generated by the fog?)

Q 285 Assuming a character upon which Mirror Image has been cast, does the miss chance from Blur cast on that character also apply to all of the images generated by that spell (i.e. no hit = no disruption of the image in question?)

13. - Top - End - #583
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 286

Is the ECL for a Slaymate 4, given that is has 4 Hit Dice and a LA of —, or does that — just mean that you aren't allowed to play one?

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

A 284

No

Concealment Miss Chance

Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.
    A 286

LA — means not suitable for player characters.

Edit:
    A 285

Concealment Miss Chance

Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.
    Mirror Image

...Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball)...
    No, Mirror images do not get miss chance. Miss chance happens after a successful hit and a successful hit destroys an image.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-06-27 at 02:19 AM.

Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 287

Does the soulfire armor enhancement (BoeD) protect against negative levels?

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

A 287

Yes as long as they are at least one of the following: death spells, magical death effects, and energy drain, or any negative energy effects.

This means you are protected from (most likely) all spells, but not from the negative levels bestowed by using certain items.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 288

Can mounted combat also negate hits from ranged touch?

Q 289

Can dance of death (tome of magic, vestige Paimon) also be used with wands?

Q 290

Can a mounted binder with spirited charge, initiate a charge action and change its line of movement with dance of death (tome of magic, vestige Paimon)?

Q 291

Is there a feat which gives turn resistance from the master to the familiar?
    Last edited by teriderol; 2013-06-27 at 10:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588

A 288 Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 98
    Once per round when your mount is hit in combat, you may attempt a Ride check (as a reaction) to negate the hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 309
    hit: Make a successful attack roll.
    Absent any specification about ranged vs. melee or touch vs. normal AC, Mounted Combat can be used once per round against anything that requires an attack roll.

A 289 No. Paimon's Dance of Death only allows attacks, not activating magic items.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic, pg 45
    When you use this ability, you can move up to your speed and make a single attack against any creature you move past...
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 138
    The most common type of standard action is an attack--a single melee or ranged attack. Other common standard actions including [sic] casting a spell, concentrating to maintain an active spell, activating a magic item, and using a special ability.
    A 290 No. Dance of Death requires a standard action and is thus incompatible with charging (which requires a full-round action). Additionally, charging specifically allows only one attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic, pg 19
    Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless otherwise noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 154
    Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move...After moving, you may make a single melee attack...Even if you have extra attacks...you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-27 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

19. - Top - End - #589

MindFlayer

Q292
    Is there anywhere which describes the biological mechanic of a Dragon's Blindsense? In some cases when talking about Blindsense/Blindsight, a monster entry will say "If its sense of smell/hearing/whatever is blocked, this monster's Blindsense doesn't work" or something to that effect. Given the amount of description Dragons have gotten over the years I'd be surprised if it didn't have a clause like that, but I can't find one.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Q292
    Is there anywhere which describes the biological mechanic of a Dragon's Blindsense? In some cases when talking about Blindsense/Blindsight, a monster entry will say "If its sense of smell/hearing/whatever is blocked, this monster's Blindsense doesn't work" or something to that effect. Given the amount of description Dragons have gotten over the years I'd be surprised if it didn't have a clause like that, but I can't find one.
    A 292
    Check the Draconomicon, page 18. A dragon's blindsense uses "its nose and ears," and also functions by "noticing subtle clues such as air currents and vibrations."
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-06-27 at 11:42 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 293

Are there any magic items which grant the use of Mounted Combat?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q294

Phaant's Luckstone from Ghostwalk. What's the activation method? Free? Standard? Immediate? No action like Zealous Surge from a Crusader?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Orc in the Playground

Q 295
    Do familiars gain bonus hp from their Con score?

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alokue View Post
    Q 295
    Do familiars gain bonus hp from their Con score?
    A 295
    No. Per the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Familiar Basics
    Hit Points
    The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

A 294

Since rerolling generally has no action associated with it, and the item's description does not call for one, it should require no action.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

A 293: Yes. The Battle Bridle from MIC. 9k. See also Riding Boots, MIC. 12k.

For your edification.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 296

If two spells were cast on the same character and they both gave unnamed modifier types for bonuses (Like Fist of Stone and Bite of the Weretiger) would they still stack?

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 296

Your example spells do not provide "unnamed modifier types for bonuses". Instead, they both give enhancement bonuses, which you can read about here. Multiple enhancement bonuses never stack. These two spells also transform your body to provide natural attacks, but those are not bonuses. Because your body cannot support both transformations to your hands, only the latter will apply; this is an example of "One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant" in the magical effect stacking rules as detailed on page 172 of Player's Handbook.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

A 296 continued:

But if you did have two spells that gave bonuses of unspecified type, they would stack. Unnamed bonuses stack with all other bonuses except those from the same source (and sometimes even those, if the description specifies so). Two different spells would be different sources, though two castings of the same spell would be considered the same source, and would not stack.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #600
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 297
    With the Quick draw feat (and if the DM allows to apply it to wands), would a Wand Bracer become obsolete and could I carry around half a dozen wands to draw and put back as free actions?

Q 298
    Dungeonscape says using the Wand Bracer is a swift action, yet on the boards here (and elsewhere) it is referred to as being a free action to pull a wand. Cannot find Errata on Dungeonscape so I assume a swift action is correct?
    Last edited by Gargravarr; 2013-06-28 at 08:26 AM.