New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

A 56 addendum:
    There's also Shadow Silk, from Tome of Magic. It repairs itself in shadowy illumination, and grants the wearer +2 to Hide and Move Silently.

A 61 correction:
    For spells which deal negative levels or ability score damage, the negative levels or ability score damage are multiplied on a crit, just like any other damage. If extra damage (such as from Sneak Attack) is applied to such spells, the extra damage is negative energy hit point damage. The relevant rules for this are found under "Weaponlike Spells", on page 86 of Complete Arcane.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 63

If I craft a wondrous item that let's me cast celerity x times a day, is it still being cast as an immediate action? If not, is there a workaround?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    Q 63

If I craft a wondrous item that let's me cast celerity x times a day, is it still being cast as an immediate action? If not, is there a workaround?
    A 63

The Wondrous Item in question will specify the action required. The default is Command Work activation, which requires a Standard Action, but an item that casts Celerity will probably be designed to have an Immediate-Action activation.

Note that if there is no wondrous item that already exists that casts Celerity x times a day, your character cannot simply invent one. Rather, you and your DM must design and fully stat out the item, deciding on price and activation details using the guidelines in the DMG and MiC. Then your character (or potentially anyone else) can craft it, just like any other homebrewed magic item that you and your DM have decided to use.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Q64: Where does it say how augmentation of psi-like abilities work? (I know a creature can augment as if it uses a number of power points equal to its ML, but where is that written?)
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Q65: If a character has an ability that allows her to crit undead enemies, does this allow her to deliver a coup de grace a helpless undead? Would the undead still have to make the requisite Fort save versus 10 + the damage dealt?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 66
    If I wanted to add the Gloryborn weapon template to an existing weapon, what means exist besides a Wish spell (and possibly limited wish)?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2013-06-04 at 11:44 AM.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 65 Yes and yes.

Assuming you have an ability which makes undead subject to (your) critical hits, you would follow the regular rules for making coup de grace attacks.

A 66 None.

The Dungeon Master's Guide II weapon templates are rules for making the environment in which a weapon is initially crafted affect its properties. You can't even guarantee that you can reproduce that effect anachronistically via Wish or Miracle.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-06-04 at 12:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 65 Dispute - Yes and No

If you have the ability to land a critical hit on an undead creature then you can deliver the coup de grace attack, however the undead does not have to make the fortitude save as they are immune to any effect requiring a fortitude save that does not affect objects.

9. - Top - End - #129

Q 68

If I have enchanted robes conferring an armor bonus similar to mage armor or the bracers of armor, can I cast Magic Vestment to enhance this bonus further?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 65 Dispute - Yes and No
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    If you have the ability to land a critical hit on an undead creature then you can deliver the coup de grace attack, however the undead does not have to make the fortitude save as they are immune to any effect requiring a fortitude save that does not affect objects.
    Coup de grace is an attack, not an effect. As such, that particular Fortitude save exception does not apply.

A 68 Maybe.

Magic Vestment can be cast on "an outfit of regular clothing". An ordinary robe which has an armor bonus added using the "common item effects" rules (Magic Item Compendium, pages 233-234) by a crafter using Craft Magic Arms And Armor does not keep this robe from still being an outfit of regular clothing, and it's eligible for the spell. However, if you start with a Robe of the Archmagi, that's officially a wondrous item from the start rather than a regular garment; while your DM may also treat such a wondrous item as regular clothing, that's not guaranteed.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-06-04 at 12:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Q69
    What is the definition of an effect in D&D.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 69

There is no official definition of effect in D&D (though Rules Compendium does have an entry for "effect (of a spell)"). Instead, we can only produce a list. A D&D "effect" is something which specifically uses that word. Thus we know a spell is an effect because the Magic chapter of the Player's Handbook says so, repeatedly. The coup de grace definition says it's "a full-round action that allows an attacker to attempt a killing blow against a helpless opponent." Because that definition lacks the term "effect", we can't add coup de grace to the list of things categorized as effects.

13. - Top - End - #133

Imp

Q 70
    can you cast antimagic field on another creature? the range is, after all, 10 feet. (and it does not specify a target)

Q 71
    while using the trip maneuver of Confound the Big Folk, do you accrue size penalties, or is every size penalty thrown out the window?
    Last edited by Deaxsa; 2013-06-04 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

A 70
    No. Antimagic field is an emanation centered on you. It doesn't have a target to change at all, because it just exists as your personal bubble that follows you around.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 71

Confound The Big Folk's Unsteady Footing maneuver lets you use your choice of either a Strength or Dexterity check when making a trip attempt, but does not specify new rules for those checks. It also specifies that the opponent's Strength or Dexterity check is "as normal". As such, you follow the standard rules for the Trip special attack, which includes size modifiers and stability modifiers.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Q 72

Does spell damage count towards the Crusader's Steely Resolve delayed damage pool, or does spell damage bypass the delayed damage pool like it bypasses DR?

17. - Top - End - #137

Imp

Q 73

can you voluntarily end an antimagic field?

Quote Originally Posted by Matticussama View Post
    Q 72

Does spell damage count towards the Crusader's Steely Resolve delayed damage pool, or does spell damage bypass the delayed damage pool like it bypasses DR?
    A 72
    yes.
    and since when do spells automatically bypass DR?
    Last edited by Deaxsa; 2013-06-04 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 73 Yes.
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    (D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will.
    It's in the spell header.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 74

Is it actually a rule that Familiars act on the same initiative count as their masters, or is that a houserule I used unknowingly when I played a Wizard? Where is this (or something contrary) stated in the rules?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    and since when do spells automatically bypass DR?
    Since always*.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Special Abilities: Damage Reduction
    A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
    *I assume it was the same in 3.0, but if not, "always" means "dawn of 3.5" at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 74

That would appear to be a house rule. Familiars have their own ability scores and hence their own initiative modifiers. They're NPCs, and like all other NPCs they are under the control of the DM. This house rule creates a limitation of the DM's actions in controlling the familiar, and thus adds additional complexity beyond what's specified in the RAW.

22. - Top - End - #142

Q 75

Are there any other non-offensive weapon enchants, IE Smoking, Warning, that benefit the wielder even if they aren't actively using the weapon to attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Q 75

I'm afraid that isn't a simple question, as any number of weapon enhancements might fit. For instance, Acid Washed weapons have a bonus to saving throws made against acid, rust, or disintegration; this benefit to the wielder isn't at all dependent on them making attacks. I suggest you create a separate thread where you can define what "benefit the wielder" means in somewhat less broad terms.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Since always.
    damage reduction rules
    Q 76

What if you're attacking with a supernatural ability that uses a weapon? I expect that applies to a good few class features.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    Q 75

Are there any other non-offensive weapon enchants, IE Smoking, Warning, that benefit the wielder even if they aren't actively using the weapon to attack?
    Well, a lot of them glow, which I believe is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Q 76

What if you're attacking with a supernatural ability that uses a weapon? I expect that applies to a good few class features.

A 76

Not sure if there are many SU abilities that deal damage in addition to the weapon damage, but if they exist, the weapon damage will be reduced by DR, everything else won't.

26. - Top - End - #146

RangerGuy

Q77
    If i want to go into a PrC at level 9, but it has a feat requirement, can i take that feat as my CL9 feat choice and go into the PrC at the same time?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SciChronic View Post
    Q77
    If i want to go into a PrC at level 9, but it has a feat requirement, can i take that feat as my CL9 feat choice and go into the PrC at the same time?
    A 77

No. The first step of level up is to select a class. To select a PrC you must fulfill all the prerequisites. If you do not have that required feat you do not. Only once you have selected a class you can select the feat for that level.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Q 76

Such as? Class features like Smite Evil merely modify ordinary melee attacks, and so are subject to DR. Others would probably depend on specific wording.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Q 078

What is the largest variety of Yugoloth (including advanced HD examples)?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Such as? Class features like Smite Evil merely modify ordinary melee attacks, and so are subject to DR. Others would probably depend on specific wording.
    Yeah, I thought that would be the answer. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.