New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I strongly recommend that you don't consider physics when watching this anime any fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    More fixing.

But to contribute something on topic again:
    is there a plan what will happen when the anime gets too close to the manga? Like, is there already a break planned soon? (Yeah, I guess I could look it up but I'd have to find out where first)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    More fixing.

But to contribute something on topic again:
    is there a plan what will happen when the anime gets too close to the manga? Like, is there already a break planned soon? (Yeah, I guess I could look it up but I'd have to find out where first)
    It's not even close to the manga's most recent volume. Do you mean if the next season catches up? This season is planned at 25 episodes, maybe/maybe not including 13.5, and pretty obvously is stopping with the end of the Female Titan arc-- which is a fair ways behind the manga. Second season has no news yet as far as I know, and the manga doesn't look like it's slowing down. It probably won't be an issue unless season 2 gets announced at started on right away. Even then, it'd probably be fine.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

I imagine there will be a break between seasons one and two. They seem to be trying to keep to the storyline of the manga, so it makes more sense to break and allow more of the manga to accumulate. Even so, there's enough for another season or two already based on the current rate of plot progression in the anime.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    At the point they are in the anime, they have completely lost the female titan and only managed to retake Eren.
    I mean not (Spoiler from manga)
    Spoiler
    Show
    the forest one, Anna is the Female titan and erwin planned to take her in the wall.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    do keep in mind that eren is still a volatile asset. he has openly attacked his allies while transformed already and his own lack of skill with his power has endangered them still more.

they really don't know exactly what eren is doing when he's a titan and trying to fight along side him could spell their own deaths at his hands for all they know.

frankly, i think the best use for eren would be to tie a really long tether to him, drop him off the wall, and let him fight until he starts to lose.
    then just real in his human form and do it again tomorrow.
    the titans can't be in infinite supply and so far as we can tell the titan people only need basic human sustenance.

edit: considering the speeds and forces involved with maneuver gear, it's a miracle we haven't seen anyone pancake themselves. kinda surprised they passed up that opportunity.
    Presumably they skipped the two years of training when Trainees in heavy pads and helmets kept smashing into trees with hay bales lashed to the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #306

They did mention that a lot of trainees die in the process. And we saw enough relevant trainee fumbles as it is, I think. Although it would have been interesting to see one or two trainees who passed the balance test but it turns out they can't handle real maneuver gear, I can't think of where it would fit; I can only imagine it with them either dying, dropping out, or getting it together, all of which fit the message of what Eren kept saying that "strong people belong here." And we got plenty of that driven home, in more interesting ways that involved characters not meant to immediately die off.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    do keep in mind that eren is still a volatile asset. he has openly attacked his allies while transformed already and his own lack of skill with his power has endangered them still more.

they really don't know exactly what eren is doing when he's a titan and trying to fight along side him could spell their own deaths at his hands for all they know.

frankly, i think the best use for eren would be to tie a really long tether to him, drop him off the wall, and let him fight until he starts to lose.
    then just real in his human form and do it again tomorrow.
    the titans can't be in infinite supply and so far as we can tell the titan people only need basic human sustenance.

edit: considering the speeds and forces involved with maneuver gear, it's a miracle we haven't seen anyone pancake themselves. kinda surprised they passed up that opportunity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the opportunity presented itself to attack titans vs people, Eren has always attacked titans. He's volatile, but not that volatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the opportunity presented itself to attack titans vs people, Eren has always attacked titans. He's volatile, but not that volatile.
    ok i think we can dispose with spoilers by now.
    how much confidence do you really have in that? he's transformed twice deliberately. 50% of the time he attacked a human being.

if for any reason eren attacked the humans (do recall they dont all trust him yet) the survey corp would now have 2 skilled and highly destructive titans right in their midst.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #309

ok i think we can dispose with spoilers by now.
    how much confidence do you really have in that? he's transformed twice deliberately. 50% of the time he attacked a human being.

if for any reason eren attacked the humans (do recall they dont all trust him yet) the survey corp would now have 2 skilled and highly destructive titans right in their midst.
    Are you forgetting just how much Eren hates the titans? That's, like, his defining character trait.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Are you forgetting just how much Eren hates the titans? That's, like, his defining character trait.
    the people around him don't trust that. the corp has only known him for a week or 2 and are now confronted with the fact that there may be enemies in their midst.

from the point of view of the humans, eren is a potential walking apocalypse that is uncontrollable and could well be clandestinely hostile toward them.

edit: something just occurred to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    the city was attacked by the colossal titan when eren was little. that means the one controling it was a kid when they made the first attack on the city.
    Last edited by thubby; 2013-09-10 at 09:51 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

11. - Top - End - #311

Spoiler
    Show
    the city was attacked by the colossal titan when eren was little. that means the one controling it was a kid when they made the first attack on the city.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup! Though if I recall he said "we didn't know what we were doing back then".

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

So I just dropped in here because I finally caught up with the show.

*gutpunch*

Well. Things got real. For those last two episodes alone, I'll forgive the slowness of the Trost arc.

Spoiler
    Show
    PETRA'S DAD. AUGH. It's not like she was even built up as much of a character, just--

Oh, and also...

Spoiler
    Show
    Yet another reminder: if you're not one of the Main Crew (Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Connie, or Levi), you're toast. Redshirts galore! But the show impresses me with the fact that I still feel for the redshirts, no matter how obvious they may be.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-09-11 at 08:29 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yet another reminder: if you're not one of the Main Crew (Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Connie, or Levi), you're toast. Redshirts galore! But the show impresses me with the fact that I still feel for the redshirts, no matter how obvious they may be.
    I'm a bit shocked of all the recruits you would include Connie in that list
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm a bit shocked of all the recruits you would include Connie in that list
    Gut feeling. I also should've included Sasha, come to think of it. They're like...a cut above redshirts in my estimation.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Gut feeling. I also should've included Sasha, come to think of it. They're like...a cut above redshirts in my estimation.
    I like Sasha and Mikasa's interactions, so I really hope she doesn't die. That's some of the only times you see Mikasa showing any real personality besides "the world revolves around Eren".
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #316

the people around him don't trust that.
    Except Levi left the choice up to him, so he kinda does.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #317

Except Levi left the choice up to him, so he kinda does.
    I think that was more Levi testing Eren to see what he would do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He also may have underestimated the Female Titan or overestimated his team, though. For the elite of the elite, she really wiped them out quickly.
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that was more Levi testing Eren to see what he would do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He also may have underestimated the Female Titan or overestimated his team, though. For the elite of the elite, she really wiped them out quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is, the elite of the elite are still normal humans. The Female Titan is basically a normal human by ten times as tall and as strong as that would imply, complete with the ability to temporarily harden bits of her skin so she's invulnerable, and insanely fast regeneration.

It's amazing how well they did, and how they would have won if the Female Titan hadn't pulled out her regeneration prioritization trick, and it's a testament to their skill that they accomplished that. However, once she knocked them off guard by regaining her eyesight and killing one, she worked off her momentum and killed the rest extremely quickly. When you can't survive more than a single hit against your opponent, being off-balance for a second can kill you really bad.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is, the elite of the elite are still normal humans. The Female Titan is basically a normal human by ten times as tall and as strong as that would imply, complete with the ability to temporarily harden bits of her skin so she's invulnerable, and insanely fast regeneration.

It's amazing how well they did, and how they would have won if the Female Titan hadn't pulled out her regeneration prioritization trick, and it's a testament to their skill that they accomplished that. However, once she knocked them off guard by regaining her eyesight and killing one, she worked off her momentum and killed the rest extremely quickly. When you can't survive more than a single hit against your opponent, being off-balance for a second can kill you really bad.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, remember that nobody in the Recon Corps, or the entire army, has fought anything like the female titan before.

They're training to fight Titans. Titans are dangerous, but they're generally predictable. When there are people to eat, Titans will ignore anything else. As Armin pointed out, Titan's are not even trying to kill people, they're trying to eat them. If they step on somebody, they do so accidentally. Otherwise their only real move is a sort of clumsy grab or a bite.

No matter how elite they all are, this is literally the first time any of them have fought an intelligent titan. It's abilities aside, the Female titan moves differently, behaves differently, and has different priorities. It covers it's neck, grabs 3dMG lines, throws punches, stomps, swats, and does countless other things that no other titan ever does. You can't distract it by having a tasty human fly around in front of it's face while somebody else flanks, you can't just go for the neck, confident that it won't bother putting up a defense.
    Don't underestimate the power of intelligence. Intelligence is what turned a bunch of hairless apes without claws or teeth into a species so powerful they have to stop themselves from accidentally wiping out what should be their biggest predators.
    Plus, the Female titan's "Pilot" Is trained (They were able to use the 3dMG after all), which means they would know what type of tactics soldiers use against titans. They would be able to predict the motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Erwin vs Constantine from Hellblazer
    Who had the most death under them?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #321
    Barbarian in the Playground

So is there anyone not reading the manga who does not know that the female titan is
    Spoiler
    Show

Annie

It seems to me that they had her do everything except wear a name tag.
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Subproject54 View Post
    So is there anyone not reading the manga who does not know that the female titan is
    Spoiler
    Show

Annie

It seems to me that they had her do everything except wear a name tag.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah once she puts her fists up against Eren, EVERYONE who ups know its Annie.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

23. - Top - End - #323

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, until like, four pages before the reveal, even reading the manga I didn't catch on for a while. That chapter was one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2013-09-12 at 07:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    You know, until like, four pages before the reveal, even reading the manga I didn't catch on for a while.
    Maybe it's just how it's done in the anime, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the first episode with the female titan. (spoiler, I guess?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The titan looks not a little bit, but EXACTLY like Annie.

If that wasn't enough, it goes around NOT killing all of Annie's friends by the second episode.

I hope I'm wrong when I say this, but I feel like the show is building it up to be a big reveal. If that happens, the level of anti-climax would be almost tangible.
    Last edited by Finlam; 2013-09-12 at 07:06 AM.
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Subproject54 View Post
    Maybe it's just how it's done in the anime, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the first episode with the female titan. (spoiler, I guess?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The titan looks not a little bit, but EXACTLY like Annie.

If that wasn't enough, it goes around NOT killing all of Annie's friends by the second episode.

I hope I'm wrong when I say this, but I feel like the show is building it up to be a big reveal. If that happens, the level of anti-climax would be almost tangible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's only a surprise if you weren't paying attention, or you skipped over the training parts. Besides, in the Manga, several people suspected that it was Annie before the "big reveal," anyway.

In other news, I am officially done with the fandom

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, until like, four pages before the reveal, even reading the manga I didn't catch on for a while. That chapter was one of my favorites.
    This is what I love about the series. I predicted the spoiled plot event, but even so I was still very sceptical of it actually being true, up until
    Spoiler
    Show
    she hulked the hell out and started smashing ****.

And with the second plot revelation along these same lines, I thought it was just some cruel joke until
    Spoiler
    Show
    the both of them turned into their titan forms.

So I'll give the series this. It's twists have always been surprising.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I thought that was pretty neat actually.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328

That was actually really great.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

That was completely fantastic.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

That was actually really great.
    What is it? TUmblr is blocked where I'm at.