New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The most unbalanced monsters for each CR up to 20 (or so)?

Go with my personal favorite, and nominate the bleakborn for my favorite.

I watched an overpowered party of 8 level 8 gestalt characters run in terror from 3 unmodified ones.

For the rest of the campaign, regardless of whatever evil monstrosities I sent their way, the frozen zombies were always the most terrifying to them.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    That sounds like the version in the Canomorph section.

May recommend Woodland Fairy as a CR 3? IT has 7th level druid casting, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability + Magic Circle Against Evil as a Free Action, and its SLA's include Glitter Dust and Invisibility. OH, and fly 60ft (perfect).
    that's exactly what happened. I didn't think to check whether they appeared twice in the same book (because why would they?) they are indeed cr 4 and have a racial 2d6 SA. sorry for the confusion.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    May recommend Woodland Fairy as a CR 3? IT has 7th level druid casting, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability + Magic Circle Against Evil as a Free Action, and its SLA's include Glitter Dust and Invisibility. OH, and fly 60ft (perfect).
    WAT. Which book was someone really incompetent enough to put this in? And what is it about 3rd level that apparently makes monster designers think "Okay, the PCs have been alive long enough?"
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-02-16 at 01:20 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #424

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    WAT. Which book was someone really incompetent enough to put this in? And what is it about 3rd level that apparently makes monster designers think "Okay, the PCs have been alive long enough?"
    I did some research using the Fey Index and I can't find an official monster called Woodland Fairy. I did find a CR 3 Fey with that name from Kingdoms of Kalimar: Dangerous Denizens. It's a third party book.

Looking through the official Fey creatures I've found a couple that I'd like to nominate.

Grig - CR 1

Pros:
    • DR 5/Cold Iron
    • 40' (Poor) Flight
    • High AC - 18
    • High Hide and Move Silently skill mods (+18 and +10/+15 respectively)
    • Awesome SLAs Including Entangle and Invisibility (3/day, 9th caster level).
    • High attack values (+6) with a ranged weapon
    • 17 SR, enough to make SR: Yes spells almost useless at first level.

Cons:
    • Low HP (2)
    • Low Fort Save (+1)
    • Low Damage (Longbow with 1d4-3 damage)

They are fragile and have weak damage, however, Entangle as an SLA (it has no components and can be cast without hindrance while hidden) coupled with flight, invisibility, stupidly high SR, high AC and good stealth make this monster a surprisingly nasty ambush encounter. Played to the hilt, I could definitely see one of these things TPKing a first level party.

Pixie (W/Irresistible Dance) Cr 5

Pros:
    • Continous Greater Invisibility
    • Awesome SLAs including Entangle, Lesser Confusion, Dispel Magic and Permanent Image (1/day, CL 8)
    • Irresistable Dance (An 8th level spell 1/day, CL 8)
    • Sleep Arrows (no damage, Fort DC 15 or fall asleep)
    • 60' (Good) flight
    • DR 10/Cold Iron
    • SR 15

Cons:
    • Low HP (3)
    • Low Damage (Longbow 1d6-2)
    • Low Fort Save
    • 1 HD

Like most Fey, these aren't terrible when you look at their stats in isolation. After all 3 HP is awful at first level, they do crap damage and are vulnerable to fort saves and anything targeting low HD creatures. However, they have layers and layers of options. Greater Invisibility, Flight, SR, DR. They have answers to pretty much any way that a party might be able to deal with them.

Invisibility means that unless the party gets very creative with flour or happens to have See Invisibility prepared, they are screwed from the get go. Dispel Magic with a CL of 8 means that even if the Wizard does try to use it's buffs to even the playing field, they are just one standard action away from being gone. Flight interacts with both of these very well as does the DR. Even though the SR is not great by any means, it's a further limitation on how the party can try to deal with them.

Their SLAs are fantastic, entangle works as amazing battlefield control, lesser confusion is a very nice debuff. Irresistable Dance takes the cake with a no save, just suck for 1d4+1 rounds (even better when paired up with entangle to give it an effective reflex DC of 24) Permanent Image is also just begging to be used in all sorts of creative ways. Their Sleep Arrows give them something to do once their SLAs are used up allowing them to still be capable of menacing a party.

Intelligently played Pixies definitely use up far more than 1/4 of a parties resources in each fight.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2014-02-16 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    I did some research using the Fey Index and I can't find an official monster called Woodland Fairy. I did find a CR 3 Fey with that name from Kingdoms of Kalimar: Dangerous Denizens. It's a third party book.
    No it is not. Dangerous Denizens is one of the 1st party Kingdoms of Kalamar Books. It is very obscure but 1st party regardless (it has the official DnD mark and the official Wizards product mark).

Note that Dragon Magazine Compendium uses the same markings, as does Dragonlance.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2014-02-16 at 04:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

D&D's own humble flappy bird, the corrolax, is grossly under CRed at CR 1/2.

dr 5/ cold iron, SR 12, and color spray usable 1/round as a su ability make him quite dangerous, especially in tandem with another CR 1/2 who can deal damage (such as an orc)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you are accepting templates, I recommend just advancing the monster. For many types, CR increases at +1/4HD. This means that save DCs can be pumped through the roof. e.g. CR 19 beholders have DC30 eye rays.

Or, there is the magic of non-associated class levels. Storm Giant cleric 18 is CR 22.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    They are fragile and have weak damage, however, Entangle as an SLA (it has no components and can be cast without hindrance while hidden) coupled with flight, invisibility, stupidly high SR, high AC and good stealth make this monster a surprisingly nasty ambush encounter. Played to the hilt, I could definitely see one of these things TPKing a first level party.
    Only problem I see is that at one damage per hit it'll take a Grig 30-40 rounds to TPK a "standard" Fighter-Rogue-Wizard-Cleric party, and there's going to be a few natural 20's long before that point.

Pixie (W/Irresistible Dance) Cr 5
    Pixies, on the other hand, negate or at least heavily mitigate that problem in a few different ways.

Also, don't forget about the Danceless-but-otherwise-identical version at CR 4. Or the total-amnesia-until-you-get-a-Heal-spell arrows.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #429

If we combine the Grig with, say, an orc or two, though...
    Those first-to-second-levels are dead.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

10. - Top - End - #430
    Dwarf in the Playground

And what is it about 3rd level that apparently makes monster designers think "Okay, the PCs have been alive long enough?"
    May I sig that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Sooooo....DM really stands for Deviant Masochist?
    Spoiler: I am a...
    Show

LG Half-Orc Paladin 1/Cleric 1
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 16
    Constitution 16
    Intelligence 14
    Wisdom 15
    Charisma 10

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by LoP View Post
    Behold, Meth in a Mine... The Greatest Subterranean Controlled Substance!
    And what is it about 3rd level that apparently makes monster designers think "Okay, the PCs have been alive long enough?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    I'd play Powerball.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thisisacat View Post
    If you are accepting templates, I recommend just advancing the monster. For many types, CR increases at +1/4HD. This means that save DCs can be pumped through the roof. e.g. CR 19 beholders have DC30 eye rays.

Or, there is the magic of non-associated class levels. Storm Giant cleric 18 is CR 22.
    Ya but I think that just adds waaaay too many options. I mean pretty much all undead, aberrations or other 4 Hd for +1 cr can be devastating. A cr 9 ghast can have a dc 31 paralyze attack and have 182 hp normally. Its absurd.

Lets just focus on the published monsters, maybe add a few like sylph that gain spell casting with hd but lets not count class levels and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Lets just focus on the published monsters, maybe add a few like sylph that gain spell casting with hd but lets not count class levels and the like.
    It's time you lads delve more into third-party material .
    Looking for beasties that'll challenge your players in combat? Step right in!

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meth In a Mine View Post
    May I sig that?
    I would be honored.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

For CR 18 I vote Yuan-Ti Anathema. Casts Blasphemy on CL 20

but still topped by the CR 12 Blood Fiend which casts blasphemy at CL 18. That outright kills any level 12 adventurer group...

The fiend folio was probably written by the same trainee as the Monster Manual 2 as it seems.

15. - Top - End - #435

Links you all over here, where there are arguments for Shadow, Purple Dragon, Adamantine Horror, and many other things.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

The Nereid at CR 4 is pretty dangerous due to the fact that if you fail the DC 16 save vs drowning there is no way to stop it.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    The Nereid at CR 4 is pretty dangerous due to the fact that if you fail the DC 16 save vs drowning there is no way to stop it.
    Stormwrack made it so you can stop drowning with a heal check.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Colossus in the Playground

Are we including errata fixes in this list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Has the stirge been mentioned already?
    I mean, a hide check of +14, +7 attack bonus on a TOUCH ATTACK, flight, darkvision, constitution damage that will most likely kick in during its second turn and only 1/2 CR?

A few stirges have the ability to force an adventuring party to either rest for a few days, or push on with less HP, worse fort saves, some reduced class abilties...

Really, these beasties can completely wreck a party if used properly. (That is, send a few of them at the party, then put some poisonous stuff in the next room.)

20. - Top - End - #440

AssassinGuy

Are we still allowing templates?

If so Were Battle Titan (MM3) Ogre - in Hybrid form something around 500-600 hp for a CR9.

If someone found a way to make the 1 HD medium giant large you could get a CR7 with around 450-500 hp.

Boneclaws (MM3) as I remember are pretty rough at CR5 - 20 ft reach +2 turn resistance, skele DR, Intelligent undead. Their major weakness is poor BA.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Stormwrack made it so you can stop drowning with a heal check.
    I cannot find this text in Stormwrack, but I'm probably just failing my Spot check. Can you give a page number?

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Has the stirge been mentioned already?
    I mean, a hide check of +14, +7 attack bonus on a TOUCH ATTACK, flight, darkvision, constitution damage that will most likely kick in during its second turn and only 1/2 CR?

A few stirges have the ability to force an adventuring party to either rest for a few days, or push on with less HP, worse fort saves, some reduced class abilties...

Really, these beasties can completely wreck a party if used properly. (That is, send a few of them at the party, then put some poisonous stuff in the next room.)
    While the stirge is pretty nasty, its danger is somewhat mitigated by it only having a grapple bonus of +1, so you have a good chance of escaping the grapple and thus the blood drain.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

While the stirge is pretty nasty, its danger is somewhat mitigated by it only having a grapple bonus of +1, so you have a good chance of escaping the grapple and thus the blood drain.
    A good chance if you're a fighter... But not if you're a wizard. The stirges will just fly over the fighter, straight towards the wizard. (whose grapple check will be considerably lower)

Of course, with 1 int, the stirges may not be smart enough to figure this out themselves... So just have a NPC druid tell them to.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #443

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    A good chance if you're a fighter... But not if you're a wizard. The stirges will just fly over the fighter, straight towards the wizard. (whose grapple check will be considerably lower)

Of course, with 1 int, the stirges may not be smart enough to figure this out themselves... So just have a NPC druid tell them to.
    Naaa +1 is pretty feeble. Chances are even the caster has a 0 grapple modifier at first level, giving him nearly even odds on the die roll. Even that's the poor option though, since you are still allowed to strike it, and it has an AC of 12 and 5HP. Swatting that little bugger like the bug it is takes little to no effort.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

I cannot find this text in Stormwrack, but I'm probably just failing my Spot check. Can you give a page number?
    Huh… I tried to find it and couldn't either… Maybe rules compendium O.o? I tried google search and just heard people reference it.

25. - Top - End - #445

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh… I tried to find it and couldn't either… Maybe rules compendium O.o? I tried google search and just heard people reference it.
    I'm not seeing anything under "Drowning", "Suffocation", or "Healing" in either Stormwrack or Rules Compendium that fixes the "you can't stop drowning" that a RAW reading of the DMG has.
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2014-03-02 at 05:36 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

*bump*
    I haven't scoured the entire thread to see if it's been named but rejected, but I nominate the

Stirge - SRD - CR 1/2

This thing has a +7 Touch attack, so it will reliably attach. Then you have one round to remove it or it will start dealing up to 4 points of Con Damage.

Sure, they go down easily, but Con Damage is no joke for lowlevel characters. Without a level 3+ Cleric they can't heal it at all, but must rest for days. Even a Cleric will have to blow his level 2 slots for Lesser Restore.

A swarm of Stirges won't _kill_ a party. But it will weaken it considerably, and if there's any time pressure in the game, the PCs will have to continue in their weakened state and can't do anything about it.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

27. - Top - End - #447

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    *bump*
    I haven't scoured the entire thread to see if it's been named but rejected, but I nominate the

Stirge - SRD - CR 1/2

This thing has a +7 Touch attack, so it will reliably attach. Then you have one round to remove it or it will start dealing up to 4 points of Con Damage.

Sure, they go down easily, but Con Damage is no joke for lowlevel characters. Without a level 3+ Cleric they can't heal it at all, but must rest for days. Even a Cleric will have to blow his level 2 slots for Lesser Restore.

A swarm of Stirges won't _kill_ a party. But it will weaken it considerably, and if there's any time pressure in the game, the PCs will have to continue in their weakened state and can't do anything about it.
    This was brought up before, Stirges are fairly threatening, but they lack any longevity of their own. Con damage is scary, but the things die so fast and easy.

At 5 HP they just don't have staying power. They are not vermin but magical beast, so are vulnerable to everybody's favorite, color spray. Even with their +12 to grapple while attached, their starting size of tiny (and 3 str) makes their grapple a whole +1, the party wizard has good odds off pulling one off, never mind a beatstick type. An AC of 12 while attached means is dead easy to hit with your trusty starting weapon and a fighter with a longsword is going to one shot it. Its reach of zero means it has to enter your square to attack thus provoking. And finally they don't do the con damage until they start a round attached, so you have a full turn to get it off.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    I'm not seeing anything under "Drowning", "Suffocation", or "Healing" in either Stormwrack or Rules Compendium that fixes the "you can't stop drowning" that a RAW reading of the DMG has.
    Now that this has been bumped. I finally found that ruling, it is in Lords of Madness of all places, page 25 when dealing with a glyph that fills a creature's lung's with normal water. A dc 15 heal check gets the water out.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd like to give a shoutout to Shadows, another in the line of "We're level THREE for god's sake, we don't HAVE magic weapons!"