New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VIII-Playgroundklok

As if it wasn't already a very very long time until the Emigrate album comes out, now it's been updated to include the fact that Lemmy and various other musicians make appearances on it. (Nobody big, Marilyn Manson, Jonathan Davis-Korn, something called Peaches?, and a few others) But Lemmy! O.o

Also, I need to look back thru the thread and find something to listen to during class tonight. Suggestions for 1 hour and 40 minutes of awesomeness? I will listen to whatever if it means I don't have to pay attention in class.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    As if it wasn't already a very very long time until the Emigrate album comes out, now it's been updated to include the fact that Lemmy and various other musicians make appearances on it. (Nobody big, Marilyn Manson, Jonathan Davis-Korn, something called Peaches?, and a few others) But Lemmy! O.o

Also, I need to look back thru the thread and find something to listen to during class tonight. Suggestions for 1 hour and 40 minutes of awesomeness? I will listen to whatever if it means I don't have to pay attention in class.
    If you enjoy stoner metal then Belzebong is a must
    Conan is nice too, as is Windhand.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anyone listen to Darkest Era? I've been listening to their newest release prettily heavily the past couple weeks. It's kind of a Primorial-ish sound but I'm not really sure what it would be classified as.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    If you enjoy stoner metal then Belzebong is a must
    Conan is nice too, as is Windhand.
    Belzebong is...ok I guess...but I think I must not like stoner metal. It's very very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    Anyone listen to Darkest Era? I've been listening to their newest release prettily heavily the past couple weeks. It's kind of a Primorial-ish sound but I'm not really sure what it would be classified as.
    This was pretty good, thanks for sharing. I guess I'm not one who sort of classifies it as one sort of metal or another. If I like it, I like it. If not...well.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Well, we can agree on Augurs, at the very least :v

Vhöl's got its moments, though I can't say it's the sort of thing I would listen to very often. The crustier, d-beat moments were particularly fun, and the vocals, as expected, were great, though not as diverse as with Yob.

Anyway, on another note, anybody and everybody who's into black metal (which seems to be... most everybody who regularly posts in this thread) and neoclassical absolutely must check out Aquilus' Griseus. It's hands down one of the most amazing albums I've heard all year.
    Listening to Aquilus now. I like the sound, but it's still a little slower than I prefer. I will take a listen to some more of their stuff to give them a chance. Has a bit of a Deathstars/Samael flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    I'll just throw in another word for Dark Buddha Rising, Drug Honkey and Mournful Congregation, since we're back on the topic of Doom Metal. My original mentioning of them didn't seem to stick, but they really are worth checking out.
    I will take a listen to these as well.

I guess I generally want my metal pounding and fast. Well, rock as well. Ok I like loud and fast music.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyway, on another note, anybody and everybody who's into black metal (which seems to be... most everybody who regularly posts in this thread) and neoclassical absolutely must check out Aquilus' Griseus. It's hands down one of the most amazing albums I've heard all year.
    Thanks for sharing! I'm only 15 minutes into the album, but it is possible my best new discovery this year. I know what I am listening to for the rest of the day
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

6. - Top - End - #396

Glad so many people liked Aquilus! It was a really fortuitous find, and I figured lots of folks in this thread would be into it.

In other news, Epicardiectomy's Putreseminal Morphodysplastic Virulency is definitely goin' on the top albums of 2014 list. The only thing that could make this album better is if they stopped putting a half a minute long ****ing sample in front of every damn song. Sure, I can easily just cut out the sample myself, but why do so many bands do this to begin with? All it does is detract from the music and prove a minor annoyance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing that could make this album better is if they stopped putting a half a minute long ****ing sample in front of every damn song. Sure, I can easily just cut out the sample myself, but why do so many bands do this to begin with? All it does is detract from the music and prove a minor annoyance.
    Inorite.

I've mentioned this before also, but artists are waaaay to liberal with samples. I personally think that in some cases, if done well, it can be great. I always point to Diary of Dreams for its use of moody voiceovers to set the tone; think the opening of Rumours About Angels or Traum:A (it helps that I just also really like the movies used; Pitch Black and Dark City respectively). Also the judicious use of The Wicker Man throughout Agalloch's The White.

But when they start doing it all the time, inserting talking heads every which way to make some political statement, it just gets ludicrous.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, I can easily just cut out the sample myself, but why do so many bands do this to begin with? All it does is detract from the music and prove a minor annoyance.
    Cos ambience n prog n Sh*t.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2014-08-05 at 06:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

I think samples work best when they're worked in with the music, allowing the melodic lines to accentuate the samples.Perhaps the best example of this is on I off of Dragged Into Sunlights Widowmaker there was some other band I reviewed recently that did it well too. The only other one that comes to mind is The Grasshopper Lies Heavy which is a simply frightening doom act
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

So... Eluveitie.

New album is actually really good. Its got an energy that Helvetios and Everything Remains... didn't have. It's super-familiar-same-old Eluveitie, but they at least pull that off really well. Damn catchy, too.

I was actually looking forward to Evocation II, but what the hey.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

There is not nearly enough talk about the new alestorm here especially since we were all so stoked on the last one. What did you guys think of it? For me it's my 2nd favorite, just behind the 3rd record...
    My Metal Blog

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

There is not nearly enough talk about the new alestorm here especially since we were all so stoked on the last one. What did you guys think of it? For me it's my 2nd favorite, just behind the 3rd record...
    ...guess that's something to look into then.

I only really liked the first album, actually. Everything else was just more of the same.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    So... Eluveitie.

New album is actually really good.
    I'll surely check it!

in the meantime... this is absolutely hilarious (especially the arrival on "stage" and the anvil part).
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-08-07 at 05:59 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

So I went to Summer Slaughter yesterday. Some of the bands kinda bored me, but Dying Fetus at least outperformed my expectations and Decrepit Birth, Fallujah, The Faceless, and Morbid Angel were all fun, even if Morbid Angel's setlist could've been better (they somehow made it through their entire show without playing "Chapel of Ghouls").

In other news, my younger brother formed a metal band with a friend of his at the music school he now attends and they made an EP. Here's the whole thing, though this is the best individual song on it in my opinion and it's the last one, so you might want to just start there instead. It's certainly a big step up in terms of musicianship from the EP he did with his old high school metalcore band that I posted here a while back.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    So I went to Summer Slaughter yesterday. Some of the bands kinda bored me, but Dying Fetus at least outperformed my expectations and Decrepit Birth, Fallujah, The Faceless, and Morbid Angel were all fun, even if Morbid Angel's setlist could've been better (they somehow made it through their entire show without playing "Chapel of Ghouls").
    I heard that Morbid Angel just completely dropped the ball on this tour-- set list, performance, and all-- so I felt a little better about the fact that they didn't make the date I went to.

Origin put on the best show, I think (it helped that up until then I was able to stand up in front and actually watch the musicians without the damn hopcore kids up at the front with me). Dying Fetus was pretty great, though I was somewhat disappointed they didn't play Killing On Adrenaline or a certain song critiquing the music industry-- they played Intentional Manslaughter, though, so all was well in the end.
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Ahahaha Lordi is releasing a new album. It's going to be called Scare Force One.

I love those crazy Finns.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Hi guys, as the last year, I'm going to leave the playground for a while (it's vacation time!).

Soundtrack for the travel:
    Amon Amarth (Deceiver of the Gods)
    Amorphis (Eclipse)
    Be'Lakor (Stone's reach)
    Iron Maiden (Somewhere in time)
    Bad Religion (All Ages)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

So, I went to Bloodstock last weekend.

Emperor were staggering. Incredible setlist - In The Nightside Eclipse, then Ancient Queen, Wrath Of The Tyrant and A Fine Day To Die as the encore. Other highlights were Amon Amarth (who up until now I'd never been a big fan of, had tried watching them twice before and got bored), Carcass, Haerken (my friends' band playing to a packed-out second stage), and Orphaned Land. Dimmu Borgir were terrible, and Megadeth were a bit dull.
    i watched your heart turn black.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just going to say we have new Yob and new Pallbearer this week

Think about that people

Think about that

I am so goddamn happy
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #410

Update on that black metal demo I told y'all I'm drummin' on: namely, here's a track. Hope y'all dig it!

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just going to say we have new Yob and new Pallbearer this week

Think about that people

Think about that

I am so goddamn happy
    New Yob? Oh my. Well, this news just made my day.

Just in time for my new speakers to arrive (and subsequently blow to bits with Yob's riffs, heh)

Update on that black metal demo I told y'all I'm drummin' on: namely, here's a track. Hope y'all dig it!
    That's actually pretty great. Love the vocals. Shame the drums are buried so far behind everything else though, but it sounded decent enough.

Been listening to Wolvhammer. Blackened sludge is the official description. It's mostly pretty good. Some great riffs in there. Gets a bit mucky in places though.

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Been listening to Wolvhammer. Blackened sludge is the official description. It's mostly pretty good. Some great riffs in there. Gets a bit mucky in places though.
    They're pretty damn awesome, thanks for sharing.
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

This is pretty sweet stuff yo.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Just got back from the first show I ever booked
    Fisthammer headlined
    It was glorious

I need to sleep
    My Metal Blog

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Just got back from the first show I ever booked
    Fisthammer headlined
    It was glorious

I need to sleep
    Wait.

You booked a show? You're a metal booking agent now?

That is seriously cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    They're pretty damn awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Word. I'm getting into them a bit more now. Still not sold on the more chaotic bits, but yeah they're good.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Nice.

Also this is so ridicilously awesome. If it had vocals my life would be complete.

You guys have to listen to this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

So Arcturus is maybe releasing a new album sometime?

This could be really, really good.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Nice.

Also this is so ridicilously awesome. If it had vocals my life would be complete.

*snip*
    *squees like a little girl*
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh...the grin is the best part.
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2014-08-20 at 12:54 PM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Nice.

Okay, yeah, that is pretty good.

That guy is just enjoying every second of it, isn't he.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2014-08-21 at 03:43 AM.