New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Computer Information Sciences
    1) Not a real thing
    2) Ted is studying Mad Sciences. Its way cooler.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Computer Information Sciences
    1) Not a real thing
    2) Ted is studying Mad Sciences. Its way cooler.
    Absolutely a thing (I'm going to major in it next year), if perhaps a bit oddly phrased - usually they just call it Information Science, but it's all computer stuff anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok that's creepy.

As a side note... Raven is responsible for Tedd's misfortune as a child. Pandora is VERY protective of Raven. So what attitude does she have in regards to Tedd? We shall see soon.

Also... maybe her vision includes a world where Tedd's goal is... doable?
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Can Pandora give Ted a mark? I would think he wouldn't have enough magic energy for that, but maybe it is like with the watches where the very little amount he has can still be channeled through stuff like that.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Ok that's creepy.

As a side note... Raven is responsible for Tedd's misfortune as a child. Pandora is VERY protective of Raven. So what attitude does she have in regards to Tedd? We shall see soon.

Also... maybe her vision includes a world where Tedd's goal is... doable?
    She claimed that she would "Destroy the world as it is now known and replace it with another. A world where [Raven]'s restraints will mean nothing and [he] can do as [he] pleases".
    Tedd wants to give magic to everyone, which would force magic change the way it works (since it doesn't want to be accessible by everyone), which would drastically change the world, which might make it so that Raven could participate in the world as he pleases.

I think it's more likely that Pandora envisions Tedd's goal as a means to her end, rather than a world where Tedd's goal is doable.
    While it's true Pandora is protective of Raven, she also orchestrated a plot which endangered lives in order to teach him a lesson. If she feels protective of Tedd, then her plan might involve trying to teach Tedd that magic can't be given to everyone without consequences. (Or maybe some other lesson).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Well, would you look at that.

I must admit, I didn't quite expect Tedd's situation to take this turn, but I must applaud Dan for it. In all the ways I can imagine to deliver this message, this is one of the most straight-forward and easily graspable I can think of that doesn't also make the issue less than it is. There's just the right mix of showing and telling right here. Really strong couple of a pages.

Also, just let me see if I have this straight. This is Chaos, the Immortal who is trying to mess up magic. This is Pandora, Raven's mother and she's trying to do what again?
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Huh. Well, would you look at that.

I must admit, I didn't quite expect Tedd's situation to take this turn, but I must applaud Dan for it. In all the ways I can imagine to deliver this message, this is one of the most straight-forward and easily graspable I can think of that doesn't also make the issue less than it is. There's just the right mix of showing and telling right here. Really strong couple of a pages.

Also, just let me see if I have this straight. This is Chaos, the Immortal who is trying to mess up magic. This is Pandora, Raven's mother and she's trying to do what again?
    They're the same person.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Can Pandora give Ted a mark? I would think he wouldn't have enough magic energy for that, but maybe it is like with the watches where the very little amount he has can still be channeled through stuff like that.
    Tedd is not a spellcaster, so I don't think the magic mark, which grants access to a spell, would work on him.

In fact, because he's a far more dangerous Rarity, I'd hesitate to assume that any standard process or effect would work on him as normal.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. She grew up fast. I mean, I recognise that she can shift shapes, but it was a little disorientating.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just happy that this arc appears to bring back the supernatural stuff in a way more serious that "Ted's transformation wacky hijinks"*, this arc is the first in almost a year to do that.... wow I thought it had been longer than that.

*I'm aware that is the basis of the comic and what drew me in in the first place
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How could Larry not know Ted's name? Wouldn't it be on the roster to let him know who he would be playing against?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

As they said, he just looked at the table number and went to it. Not that hard to do, I do it sometimes too

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ah. That makes sense. Just that most tournements I went to didn't do table numbers and it would be up to the players to find each other.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Man Sarah is not lucky with her random pairings... Hopefully she beats Tenesaid at least once XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Man Sarah is not lucky with her random pairings... Hopefully she beats Tenesaid at least once XD
    Seriously. First George, now Tensaided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Anybody have any guesses as to what, if anything, the different Rocky IV dialogue portends for the EGS universe?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm going to suggest that this, too, is part of Pandora's (naturally convoluted) plan. Give her a game breaker card, pit her first against a good mentor and then against a ruthless opponent. Sarah is walking into this match with all the card power and training she could reasonably attain, as fair a match as it could possibly be, while Sarah herself remains an unknown. When the chips are down, will she sacrifice her narrative for a chance to kick Tensaided's ass, or will she allow herself to be humiliated by a superior (and arrogant) opponent? Pandora likes not knowing, after all.

I also think this will may have a longer part to play than that, however, and that Sarah's experience today will have a meaningful (if not immediately evident) impact on her future.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I'm going to suggest that this, too, is part of Pandora's (naturally convoluted) plan. Give her a game breaker card, pit her first against a good mentor and then against a ruthless opponent. Sarah is walking into this match with all the card power and training she could reasonably attain, as fair a match as it could possibly be, while Sarah herself remains an unknown. When the chips are down, will she sacrifice her narrative for a chance to kick Tensaided's ass, or will she allow herself to be humiliated by a superior (and arrogant) opponent? Pandora likes not knowing, after all.

I also think this will may have a longer part to play than that, however, and that Sarah's experience today will have a meaningful (if not immediately evident) impact on her future.
    Hm, Magic Mark abilities are dependent on the users personality correct? What if given at a time when the subject is experiencing strong emotion or personality differences than normal. In this example if Sarah gets all adrenaline filled by beating Tenesaid that her mark would be more aggressive and the like? No idea. But with the lucky bye for Luke and the match ups I do agree that it seems Pandora is doing something.

20. - Top - End - #110

So this is the moment I stop being part of the people that think this storyline is cool and start being part of the people that feel this is being dragged on way too much.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

This, ah...may not be the webcomic for you then.

I mean, that's pretty much Shive's thing. That and really, really long info dumps.
    Currently playing the Maya in Civilisation V Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit edition.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

So this is the moment I stop being part of the people that think this storyline is cool and start being part of the people that feel this is being dragged on way too much.
    What, already? We've only been covering this one in-story day for almost two months.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Hm, Magic Mark abilities are dependent on the users personality correct? What if given at a time when the subject is experiencing strong emotion or personality differences than normal. In this example if Sarah gets all adrenaline filled by beating Tenesaid that her mark would be more aggressive and the like? No idea. But with the lucky bye for Luke and the match ups I do agree that it seems Pandora is doing something.
    Magic Mark abilities are based on innate talents (such as with Susan) or a strong desire (such as Dex's desire for friendship).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Magic Mark abilities are based on innate talents (such as with Susan) or a strong desire (such as Dex's desire for friendship).
    The question still holds a bit. If someone is experiencing a strong temporary desire (Such as Sarah wanting to crush Tensaided) and gets a magic mark I wonder if that would influence the marks abilities. Obviously we can't have an answer to that atm but it would be interesting if that was Pandora's goal.

25. - Top - End - #115

I think the problem is that three storylines are one too many, especially when coupled with so much rules explanation for no payoff. Also there seems to be resolution in store, what with Pandora there and everything, and... I don't know, maybe Luke's storyline will go on longer and Tedd's and Sarah's will be tied together? Maybe... still, this is dragging on a bit too much with all the useless strips that don't progress anything. Like most of the tournament, really.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

About Monday's comic: Ookay.. So either this is going to go certain way, or Shive is just teasing us readers. Who wants to make a bet?
    Last edited by CWater; 2014-06-23 at 02:54 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Possibilities:
    He's gay
    He has a gay friend/relative
    He just really hates what the word's turned into.

Personally, I'd bank on one of the first two, but not both.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I feel like the mix-up of the three storylines work pretty well, but I'll admit I've started reading the pages a week's worth at a time. During the fight with Tengu, I was much more on the ball. Still, right now I feel much better about the pacing than when we spent two weeks preparing for the game.

29. - Top - End - #119

By the way, calling the Luke and Justin ship. If it wasn't already obvious to everyone ;)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way, calling the Luke and Justin ship. If it wasn't already obvious to everyone ;)
    Calling it what, Juke or Lustin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!