New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Tabletop XXI: Preferred Enemy (Dice)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Space Wolves still have Counter-Attack, so Drop Pods will still be a thing. Meltaguns and Plasma Guns will still be wielded by BS4 Grey Hunters, but if you want Flamers, take Blood Claws, because they're cheaper. Also, Rune Priests can't roll on Daemonology or Telepathy. Rough.

Blood Angels - can't roll Pyromancy.
    Dark Angels - can't roll Biomancy.
    Marines - can't roll Divination - except that one guy...
    Space Wolves - can't roll Telepathy.

Everyone loves TK.
    Except Flamers are still 1 per unit until at max strength (Still 15), so 10 Grey Hunters in a pod get 2 flamers, where blood claws get one.

Edit: Thinking ahead for the codex guide, I could use a price check on a few codex marine units. How many points is a minimum size unit of bikes? What about Vanguard Veterans? Do Vanguard have any special rules beyond getting access to special weapons?
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-08-06 at 10:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I could use a price check on a few codex marine units. How many points is a minimum size unit of bikes? What about Vanguard Veterans? Do Vanguard have any special rules beyond getting access to special weapons?
    A Marine Biker is 21 points per model.

A Vanguard Veteran is 19 points per model.
    - Any model may take Melee Weapons.
    - Any model may take Grav/Plasma Pistols (yuk).
    - Any model may take Melta Bombs or Storm Shields.
    - Jump Packs are 3 points per model.

Vanguard Veterans still get +1 Attack when making a Disordered Charge - though Defensive Grenades still work - and the V.Veteran Sergeant always passes a Glorious Intervention check if he wants to make one.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-08-06 at 10:35 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, 55 points for TWC with TH/SS eh? 105 for Iron Priest on TW mount? Harald Deathwolf makes them all immune to Pyromancy (who cares?) and All flamer weapons? Might as well give one or 2 a frost sword for +1 Str AP3 at init while you're at it.

Podded long fangs barely got adjusted and the flyers are better than the 'Raven, but are dedicated transports.

33 point terminators with storm bolter and power weapon, combies for 5 points, TH/SS for 15. Can deep strike now too, but at least they can't use a pod. Edit; Haha, scratch that if the below is true! Then again, I suppose you don't really need 38 PPM termicide units when you've got Sternguard available as allies.

Hmmm... ML 1 Psycher Rune Priest for 60 points, +25 for ML2 who gives out 6+ FNP to his whole squad in a codex that can have 6 HQ's in a single detachment?

Yeah, I know exactly how my meta will look when I eventually get back home since it's already full of frothing at the mouth SW fanbois and I play Thousand Sons. I'm not sure there's much point even going into the store until Chaos gets a new codex, probably not even then.

This. This is why we can't have nice things.

Edit; But wait, there's more!

http://www.torrentoffire.com/5509/br...attack-choices

Apparently, you can select SW pods (and all other transport options like the rhino, razorback and the flyers) as FA choices. No word on Raiders though. Allies may ride in BB transports, and given that they're not dedicated...

Grav cents in a pod, Assault Cents in a pod, dominions with their 5 ignores cover meltas in a pod, Repentia with a 3+ FNP in a pod, Ogryns in a pod, Assault Terminators in a pod! Everyone in a pod! Now yours for the low, low costs of 165 points (60 for an ML1 Wolf Priest and 70 for 5x scouts, plus 35 for the pod).

Seems highly unlikely, but apparently there have been multiple confirmations, and is IS GW, so who knows?

I wonder if the rune priests 6++ FNP would increase the repentia's (in a pod!) 3++ FNP to a 2++? That could be... Harsh, if not for the abundance of Str 6+ weapons.

Edit the second;

Tacticool wolfjectives

Tactical Objectives

A new addition to the 7E, the Space Wolves can take new Tactical Objectives for use in the Maelstrom of War missions.

11 - Oath of Vengeance
    When taken, the enemy must select an enemy unit. You win a VP if this unit dies during the turn.
    12 - Worthy of the Sagas
    1 VP for killing a Vehicle or MC. 1d3 VP if it's a Character.
    13 - Let Loose the Wolves
    1 VP if an enemy is destroyed during your assault phase.
    14 - Maintain the Position
    When drawn, your enemy must pick an Objective on your side of the board. If it's held by the same unit for 2 turns, you win 2 VP.
    15 - Cunning Hunt
    Win 1 VP if an enemy unit is destroyed by a unit with Scout, Outflank, or Infiltrate. If the dead unit came from reserves, you win 1d3 VP.
    16 - Heroes of Fenris
    Win 1 VP if a character issued a challenge or fought during your turn. If 3-5 characters did this, take 1d3 VP. If you have 6+ Characters do this, you get 1d3+3 VP
    Last edited by Drasius; 2014-08-08 at 09:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Healing herbs are for wolf priests, the space wolves' chaplains. Who kept oath of war, by the way. And Ulrik the Slayer has a 6" preferred enemy bubble (and a 12" stubborn bubble. And an extra wound. And a 20 point price drop!)

Also, space wolves scouts are elites, and have nothing special, and are thus junk now.

Edit: Rune Priests actually have the adimantium will rule now. And can purchase the magic hat we've coveted since this edition began. Woo!

Edit2: Apparently Trukks were FA in the ork Dex. So, yeah, Drop Pods for everything in the imperium!
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-08-08 at 11:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hm, drop pods for my Scions then? Cheap models with BS4 and 2 special weapons in a 5 man squad could be pretty good to pop in there.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Right, so, here's my quick take for the new Dex;

HQ: Wolf Lord: Slight price increase but free belt of Russ. Still does what he used to.
    Wolf Priest: Tale Ulrik instead.
    Rune Priest: very solid
    Wolf Guard Battle Leader: cheaper, but then, you can just pay 10 more points for a ml 1 rune priest
    Named HQs: Ragnar: cheaper, gained rending and can re-roll one save each turn in assault. Still hurting for lack of 2+
    Njal: Significant change. Need to see his exact point value, but ML 3 with re-roll one psychic test and one deny the witch roll (an extra test re-roll for tempestus), he's probably fine.
    Ulrik: Hoooooly Cow. Price drop, lots of force multiplying. Awesome
    Canis: Force Multiplier for TWC, although no invul or 2+ hurts hard
    Bjorn: Much more functional. Need to see exact rules, though.
    Harald Deathwolf: Not "old", but you may have his model. More durable and harder hitting than Canis, but less of a force multiplier.

Troops: Grey Hunters: Price jump, but deserved one. I recommend leaving the close combat weapons off on rhino and foot slogging squads.
    Blood Claws: hefty price drop. If they can get an assault transport, they should do find.

Dedicated Transports: Rhinos and razorbacks are, well, themselves.
    -Drop pod: work well with counter attack. Can be purchased in FA slots for terminators or allied units.
    -Stormwolf: flier that can get objective secured. Very solid, good anti-air and transport.

Elites: Wolf Guard: combi-weapons are pricier. Jump packs and bikes are now viable, though.
    Iron Priest: Cheap IC and can bring his cyberwolves with him
    Wolf Guard terminators: Cheaper upgrades except for heavy flamers. Be aware some weapon plus storm shields are no longer valid.
    Dreadnoughts: Venerable is no longer overpriced. Still have old problems
    Wolf scouts: Lost behind enemy lines and dropped to match Grey hunters. Leave them in the box :(
    Lone wolves: chainfist+storm shield is no longer legal- But, for each wolf guard or troop unit, one Lone Wolf doesn't use a slot!

Fast Attack: Price drops for the claws, but are overshadowed by 55 point TWC with storm shields and LD 9 (and all the special weapons you want) Fenrisian wolves and land speeders are unchanged.

Heavy Support: Long fangs: now have split fire. Prices and options for weapons line up with devestators. Solid
    [Shared space marine stuff everyone has]
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-08-08 at 07:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

What kind of wargear does Harald Deathwolf bring? I'm wondering if one of my existing TWLords can WYSIWYG as him, without having to buy a new model.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    What kind of wargear does Harald Deathwolf bring? I'm wondering if one of my existing TWLords can WYSIWYG as him, without having to buy a new model.
    Harald's model. And the cloak is important, for the record; it's a relic that grants him (and maybe his unit) immunity to flamers and pyromancy powers.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Harald's model. And the cloak is important, for the record; it's a relic that grants him (and maybe his unit) immunity to flamers and pyromancy powers.
    Harald grants his unit immunity to Flame weapons when he's in the front of the unit. All of the hits are automatically given to Harald - because he's in front - and he tanks them all, leaving his unit completely unharmed. Otherwise, the unit takes damage until Wounds start getting allocated to Harald. As with all things, it references the rulebook, so Baleflamers and D-Scythes still work fine.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-08-08 at 08:27 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #400
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    33 point terminators with storm bolter and power weapon, combies for 5 points, TH/SS for 15.
    Nope. If you want the free storm shield, you have to buy the 25 point thunder hammer on the other hand. The 15 point one and the storm shield both replace the power weapon, so you can't take both options.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wolf Guard terminators: Cheaper upgrades except for heavy flamers. Be aware some weapon plus storm shields are no longer valid.
    The options that people actually like Frost Blades/Axes and Chainfists are no longer valid. The only Melee Weapons that Terminators can take in conjunction with a Storm Shield are Thunder Hammers or Wolf Claws - for the same points cost. Power Weapons and Storm Shield combos no longer exist and that's a pain. I'm sure there's some build that uses Combi-Weapons and Storm Shields for 38 points per model. But, the Legion of the Damned Supplement already exists for almost 15 points per model cheaper. Another annoying change - for 'casuals' - is that you can't stick a Cyclone Missile Launcher in a Long Fangs squad for seven Missiles with Split Fire.

I'm not sold on the Great Company Formation at all. If you're taking five units of Grey Hunters you're far better off taking a straight CAD and give them Objective Secured.
    The Wolves Unleashed Detachment is actually slightly better since you have access to more HQs that actually make your trade for Objective Secured actually matter.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Army Lists (that I could find) of a semi-major tournament in the U.S.

The key similarity between all of these top armies, is that each and every one of them appears to be terrified of AV.
    From the BAO right?

Just for the sake of completeness, I've filled in the blanks, though I obviously can't offer CG's expert commentary.

10th - White Scars/Astra Militarum
    Spoiler
    Show
    (W) Kor'Sarro Kahn; Moondrakkan - 150
    Master of the Forge - 90

Command Squad; Apothecary, Bikes, x4 Meltaguns - 190

Bikes (x5); x2 Grav-Guns + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta - 190

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Lord Commissar; Power Axe - 80
    Priest - 25

Infantry Platoon
    - Platoon Command Squad - 35
    - Infantry Squad; Power Axe, Melta Bombs, Flamer - 75
    - Infantry Squad; Power Axe, Melta Bombs, Flamer - 75
    - Infantry Squad; Power Axe, Melta Bombs - 70
    - Infantry Squad; Power Axe, Melta Bombs - 70
    - Infantry Squad; Power Axe - 65

Wyvern - 65

Total: 1850 Points

This list is so 6th Ed. it hurts. Shooty Bikes, and the Command Squad doesn't have Storm Shields so has to Jink making Meltaguns pretty bad. However, major points goes to adding a White Scars Master of the Forge into the Guard Blob to give them all Hit & Run. I would choose a Mastery Level 2 Librarian (90 Points) and try and roll Invisibility and/or Shrouded, and also pick up the free Psychic Shriek, and an ML2 model with Psychic Hood gives Malediction defence, because Bolster Defences is already being taken care of by the Thunderfire Gunner.

9th - Eldar / DEldar

Spoiler
    Show
    Farseer - 145 Points
    Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Singing spear, Spirit Stone of Anath'lan - Warlord

Farseer - 170 Points
    Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear, Shard of Anaris

8x Warlock Council, Jetbikes - 400 Points

5x Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent - 200 Points

Baron Sathonyx - 105 Points

5x Kabalite warriors - 45 Points

Total - 1850

Jet Council w/Baron and Serpent Spam

8th - Ultramarines
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marneus Calgar - 285 Points
    Armour of Antilochus, Warlord

Tigurius - 165 Points

7x Sternguard, 1x Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Drop Pod - 234

10x Tacticals, Plasma Gun, Combi Plasma, Drop Pod - 200
    10x Tacticals, Melta Gun, Multi Melta, Combi Melta, Drop Pod - 205
    10x Tacticals, Melta Gun, Multi Melta, Combi Melta, Drop Pod - 205
    10x Tacticals, Flamer, Combi Flamer, Drop Pod - 190
    10x Tacticals, Heavy Bolter, Drop Pod - 185

10x Assault Marines, 2x Flamers, Drop Pod - 180

Total - 1849

This list seems to be pretty terrible bar the fact that it's got 7 pods, 5 of which are objective secured. Not enough melta IMHO, but then I'm a huge melta fan, and was so even before 7th.

7th - Necrons / Chaos Marines
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overlord - 285 Points
    Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave, Resurrection Orb, Phase Shifter
    + Catacomb Command Barge

Royal Court - 135 Points
    (W) Harbinger of Despair; Veil of Darkness
    x3 Harbingers of the Storm

Warriors (x5) + Night Scythe - 165

Deathmarks (x5) + Night Scythe - 195

Annihilation Barge - 90
    Annihilation Barge - 90
    Annihilation Barge - 90

Chaos Lord - 150 Points
    Juggernaut of Khorne, Axe of Blind Fury, Veterns of the Long War, Mark of Khorne

Cultists (x35) - 150
    Heldrake; Baleflamer - 170

Neither Necrons or Chaos Marines were changed much for 7th. I would drop an Annie Barge for an Aegis Line with a Comms Relay, because if those Fliers don't come on, you're pretty boned. The biggest change here is the addition of a poop-ton of Haywire from the Stormteks, and the fact that the HQ who is running forwards into enemy lines is not the Warlord, rather, the guy who can GTFO is the Warlord.

6th - Necrons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destroyer Lord, Sempiternal Weave, MSS, Res Orb - 190

Zandrek, Warlord - 185

4x Harbingers of the Storm - 100

5x Warriors, Night Scythe - 165

5x Wraiths, 4x Whip Coils - 215

Anni Barge - 90
    Anni Barge - 90
    2x Sentry Pylons, Focused Death Ray - 320

Total - 1850

Sentry pylons is an interesting choice, but either a Doom Scythe and some scarabs or more wraiths and another barge would have been a better bet IMHO. Not sold on the res orb on the D Lord either. Still, that's why I'm not coming 6th in a major US tourney.

5th - White Scars/Iron Hands
    Spoiler
    Show
    (W) Kor'sarro Kahn; Moondrakkan - 150

Tactical Squad (x10); Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs + Rhino - 200
    Tactical Squad (x5); Flamer, Combi-Flamer, Melta Bombs + Rhino - 125

Sternguard Veterans (x5); x5 Combi-Meltas, Melta Bombs + Drop Pod - 210

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Chapter Master - 260 Points
    Artificer Armour, Thunder Hammer, Digital Weapons, Bike, Shield Eternal

Scout Squad (x5) - 105 Points
    Close Combat Weapons, Melta Bombs
    + Land Speeder Storm; Heavy Flamer

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

I can't help thinking that this list is an ex-Salamanders list. Also, having two ICs on Bikes is a ballsy move, especially when you have no other Bikes. Presumably the idea is to use the Rhinos to block LoS until the Chapter Master can get in range to Charge. Presumably the Kahn hides out in a corner somewhere and tries not to make loud noises.[/COLOR]

4th - Tau/Tau Firebase
    Spoiler
    Show
    (W) Commander Shadowsun - 135 Points
    Commander Drone Controller, Command and Control Node - 108

Fire Warriors (x6); Devilfish; Disruption Pod - 149
    Fire Warriors (x6); Devilfish; Disruption Pod - 149

Riptide; Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Override - 190
    Riptide; Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Override - 190

Drone Squadron (x7); Marker Drones - 98

Hammerhead Gunship; Ion Cannon - 125
    Hammerhead Gunship; Ion Cannon - 125

Broadsides (x3); Twin-Linked High-Yield Missile Pods - 195
    Broadsides (x3); Twin-Linked High-Yield Missile Pods - 195

Total: 1849 Points

The key here, you'll notice, is that NGAS about dedicated Flier Defense. The Tau Firebase is full of units that Tau want to be taking anyway, and for their trouble, those particular units gain Preferred Enemy (Space Marines), which is really, really handy in the 7th Ed. meta where every man - and soon his dog, too, geddit? - are playing Space Marines due to stupidly fast Objective Secured Rhinos or Drop Pods, and Land Raiders. Still, with only two Troops units, it looks like this army's goal - especially in a Marines meta - is tabling, rather than actually trying to grab Objectives.

3rd - Iyanden/Dark Eldar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farseer; Singing Spear, Eldar Jetbike, Guardian Helm of Xellethon - 135
    Spiritseer - 70
    Spiritseer - 70

Dire Avengers (x5) + Wave Serpent; Twin-Linked Scatter Laser - 185
    Dire Avengers (x5) + Wave Serpent; Twin-Linked Scatter Laser - 185
    Jetbikes (x3) - 51
    Jetbikes (x3) - 51
    Wraithblades (x8) Ghost Axe and Forceshields + Wave Serpent; Twin-Linked Scatter Laser - 376

Warp Spiders (x5) - 95

Wraithknight - 240
    Wraithknight - 240

Baron Sarthonyx - 105 Points
    Dark Eldar Warriors (x5) - 45

Total: 1848 Points

Lack of Runes probably indicates that the Farseer is rolling Div/Eldar rather than TP or Malefic. Since the Spiritseers are probably picking up TP and trying to rack the usual suspects. Sarthonyx is nothing new. It's likely that the DE Warriors jump in the WB's Wave Serpent on the first turn. With the Wraithblades costing ~250 Points, you can get a fairly respectable Beast Star from the DE Codex, but, if you're designing your army around Invisible Wraithblades, then this is the way you'd go about it, and the result speaks for itself.

2nd - Ultramarines
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marneus Calgar, artificier armour - 275

Tactical Squad (x10), Flamer, Lascannon, Combi Melta - Drop Pod - 210
    Tactical Squad (x10), Flamer, Lascannon, Combi Melta - Drop Pod - 210
    Tactical Squad (x10), Plasma Gun, Lascannon, Combi Melta - Drop Pod - 220
    Tactical Squad (x8 9), Melta, Combi-Melta - Drop Pod - 181
    Tactical Squad (x5), Flamer, Combi-Flamer - Drop Pod - 120

Sternguard (x10); x5 Combi-Meltas + Drop Pod - 315
    Sternguard (x10); x5 Combi-Meltas + Drop Pod - 315

Total: 1846

This list is woefully incomplete. But I looked for it, I really did. But yeah, seven Drop Pods. People who don't think Objective Secured matters are kidding themselves. It's probably likely that the three 10-man squads are toting either more Melta, or a couple of Flamers, whilst the 8-man squad, probably indicates that Big Smurf is wearing his Terminator Armour, and the squad itself is packing Plasma to mesh with his even more AP2. The five-man squad probably has a Flamer.

Eccentric loadout on the 10 man squads. Again, yet another example of why I'm not reaching the top 10 in large tournies, 'cause I can't figure out the logic other than combat squadding, hoping to pop a transport with the lascannons and melta and then flamering the occupants. But since the lascannon is snap shotting, I'm not sure I see the value in those 20 points

1st - White Scars/Imperial Knights
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chapter Master - 260 Points
    Artificer Armour, Thunder Hammer, Digital Weapons, Bike, Shield Eternal

(W) Kor'sarro Kahn; Moondrakkan - 150

Command Squad - 220 Points
    Company Standard, Apothecary, Bikes, x3 Storm Shields, Power Fist

Bike Squad (x4); x2 Meltaguns, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta - 174
    Bike Squad (x4); x2 Meltaguns, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta - 174
    Bike Squad (x4); x2 Grav-Guns, Combi-Grav, Melta Bombs + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta - 184
    Bike Squad (x4); x2 Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs + Attack Bike; Multi-Melta - 189

Stormtalon Gunship; Skyhammer Missile Launcher - 125

Knight Errant - 370

Total: 1846 Points

The Company Standard on the Command Squad is new, but since the list is running five-model squads, the need to re-roll Morale checks is pretty obvious. Note the difference in wargear between the Command Squad from the list that came 10th, and this list. The Command Squad's job is to deliver the Chapter Master into Assault, Jinking makes shooty attacks worthless, so he didn't waste points there, instead, going for Storm Shields, which still work in Assault - which is where you want to be, remember?

Link to lists - http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/...-top-10-lists/

But the link for 5th actually links to the 4th place Tau, so go here - http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content...ce-Marines.pdf instead

I don't know why the colours are borked, but can't seem to fixxor it, so you'll just have to deal. Also, fixed up the missing points on 5th place Scars/Hands list.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2014-08-09 at 07:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

People who bought the limited edition codex have revealed the details of champions of fenris.

-Detachment is 1-4 HQs, 0-3 Troops, 2-8 Elites, plus normal stuff. Allows you to re-roll warlord traits (Not sure if its any table or just the new one), and gives wolf guard of all kinds +1 WS. Any character from any of these formations or dataslates must accept and issue challenges- Wolf Guard get preferred enemy in challenges.

-Warlord table is mostly close combat focused. Has 1 or 2 duds and four pretty nice ones.

-relics include overpriced TDA with IWND and a 4++ which wolf lords already have, a helfrost storm bolter with 4 shots, a MC AP 2 frost blade, Rending wolf claws that give D3 extra attacks instead of the normal bonus for 2 specialist weapons, a pelt that gives fear (beasts, cavalry, and monstrous creatures w/o fearless or ATSKNF auto fail if they're in base contact), and a necklace that let's you re-roll failed to hit rolls in Close combat (and is only five points less than the codex's helm of durfast :|)

Formations are often constraining but have some pretty nifty bonuses.

Overall, it does a pretty good job of patching any non-wolf scout shaped wholes you felt were left when the old codex was removed (well, Fenrisian wolf+TWC armies need troops still, but that's all).

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Looking at the SW dex right now.

Wow. I'm picking up Njal right now. ML3, reroll Tempestas power, Runic armor that can be upgraded to Terminator armor for free, Adamantium Will with reroll a Deny the Witch roll per turn AND Psychic Hood.... for only two dimes short of a Land Raider.

Hot. Damn.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Mini-Battle reports, from the second-fourth games I played with my Fire Hawks.

My List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vulkan He'Stan Knight-Captain Demetrius 190

7x Sternguard - 2x Heavy Flamer, 3x Combi-Melta, Drop Pod 249

Tactical Squad Mercution 10x Tactical Marines - Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Multi-Melta 170
    Tactical Squad Malvolion 10x Tactical Marines - Flamer, Combi-Melta, Multi-Melta 165 Free

5x Devastators - 4x Missile Launchers 130

(Yeah, I know the Tacs aren't equipped well. I'm going to buy them both drop pods ASAP)

For those who didn't hang on every word of my last report, we're playing a campaign with special rules. I've got "Your First Two Troops Choices Are Half Price", my opponents usually had "one choice from X is a troops choice". The scenario this week had a single, central objective. Capture it, and you win. Otherwise, you add up points from linebreaker, StW, etc.

There's additional rules, but they rarely came up.

vs Eldar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farseer
    2x Warlocks
    10x Guardians - Starcannon
    5x Dire Avengers - Exarch
    5x Wraithblades - Wave Serpent
    Wraithlord - dual flamers, Starcannon.

He went first, which meant that he had moved out of cover towards the objective by my first turn. The sternguard dropped, and knocked a single wound off the wraithlord with poisoned weapons. His Farseer was on his own for some reason, and I hit him with four Krak missiles before even finding out what his powers did, while our troops choices advanced on the objective. One of his warlocks tried to give a wound back to the wraithlord, and perils'd so hard he killed half the guardian squad. To add insult to injury, I then Denied the power. The Wraithlord then charged the sternguard, and he and Demetrius spent the entire rest of the game whiffing on each other in challenges.

The wraithblades advanced on squad Malvolion, who dropped back into cover and blew up their wave serpent. The Dire Avengers and guardians ran for the objective, and squad Mercution did a sterling job of whittling them down, followed up by a set of frag missiles. Malvolion took the Wraithblades charge well, killing two to overwatch and melee, but being forced to fall back. The waithblades turned to the objective, but couldn't reach it to reclaim it from squad Mercution before the game ended.

So, some distinctly bad luck from him, but closer than it looked. He killed Demetrius in the last turn, so we'd have been fairly close on objective points, and had the wraithblades reached squad Mercution, they could have forced them to fall back and taken the objective without too much difficulty.

vs Chaos Space Marines/Knight Titan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chaos Lord - Icon of Dark Glory
    5x(?) Chaos Space Marines - Melta, Rhino
    Heldrake - Baleflamer (Troops Choice)

Knight Titan (The one with the battle cannon)

The Titan deployed as far back in the corner as it could, so only its front facing was visible. I didn't even bother sending the sternguard after it, instead dropping them behind the rhino, where they failed to kill it. You can guess how the rest of the game went. The heldrake arrived on turn two, and it and the titan killed one unit per turn each until, with two bolter-armed marines left, I conceded. On the bright side, the only thing the Rhino did all game was immobilise itself on a rock, so that was fun.

I'm sure titans are killable- 6HP, 13/12/12 sounds doable for 370 points- but I don't know what I could have done to kill it without foreknowledge. Perhaps when I can drop pod my tacticals too, and have seven melta shots at it in the first turn, maybe. But with a 4++ on the only visible face, the sternguard wouldnt have done anything.

vs Black Legion
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Everything had Mark Of Tzeentch)
    Daemon Prince
    10x Cultists
    10x Chosen - 3 plasma guns
    Wall Of Martyrs bunker - quad-gun

His prince was a one-man summoning circus, dropping squads of horrors, a trio of flamers, and a herald in front of my army as they advanced on the central objective. I think I did fairly well, considering, but all I could really do was slog forward through the onslaught. I barely scraped his main army as they advanced, though I had some excellent luck. Squad Mercution single-handedly killed the flamers and the herald, plus the horrors with some help from the devastators, while making almost every 5+ save they were called upon to make. The sternguard again prove useless- again, they failed to wound the daemon prince, again they were slaughtered by it in combat, again Demetrius challenged it and this time he was ignominously stomped. The overwatching flamers took two wounds off it, though, and when it changed tack to attack the remains of Malvolion,(who had spent the game losing a firefight with cultists and the quad-gun), they managed to finish it off with their own overwatching flamer. On the last turn, a squad of horrors, delayed by a mishap, arrived and took the objective.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Mini-Battle reports, from the second-fourth games I played with my Fire Hawks.
    Are you actually painting them as Fire Hawks? Or is that just what you're calling them?

His Farseer was on his own for some reason, and I hit him with four Krak missiles before even finding out what his powers did, while our troops choices advanced on the objective. One of his warlocks tried to give a wound back to the wraithlord, and perils'd so hard he killed half the guardian squad. To add insult to injury, I then Denied the power. The Wraithlord then charged the sternguard, and he and Demetrius spent the entire rest of the game whiffing on each other in challenges.
    Sounds like a great turn.

I didn't even bother sending the sternguard after it, instead dropping them behind the rhino, where they failed to kill it.
    Ouch.

I'm sure titans are killable- 6HP, 13/12/12 sounds doable for 370 points - but I don't know what I could have done to kill it without foreknowledge.
    If he's put it far back in the corner, yeah, there's not a lot you can do, are you playing on 4x4 boards for the small points limit? 'Cause on small boards, big stuff like Knights and Summon spam can be pretty tough to beat.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Painting them that way, yeah. I don't intend to use their FW chapter tactics, (largely because they prohibit Vulkan) and in a casual meta I doubt anyone will hold me to them.

And yes, small boards. 4x3 (a 4x6 split in two), which is why basically nothing ever got flanked throughout all three games.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Grey Knights e-codex leaks

From 3++ http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/08/grey-knight-leaks/

Quote Originally Posted by 3++
    Click link for image.

No more psybolt ammunition! Nooooo. There appears to be some leaks going around of the GK book with the e-release of Space Wolves with the following changes noticed:

- Libby (Librarian?) much cheaper
    - Terminators cheaper (2 points more than a Chaos Terminator, still Troops Choice)
    - no new Units
    - Inquisition no longer in the Codex
    - Draigo Lord of War

There is more to read:
    Techmarine is still in the Codex
    Mordrak and Thawn are out, same for every entry without a modell

- Points cost of the Strike Squad is unchanged
    - The number of heavy Weapons in a squad has not changed
    - halberd costs 2 pts for all units, falchions 4, warding staff 5 and hammer 10
    - The ranged weapons have been changed, flamer 5, psilencer 10, psycannon 15
    - The close combat weapons for the terminators cost the same as for the non terminators but ranged weapons are 5 points more

-no new units
    -Inquisition is gone
    -Draigo is a Lord of War

Expected really for this to be a flat release when it does come (though we all remember the GK playtest leak of 5th edition which was massively toned back; 36″ psycannons…). Given that Games Workshop has released Inqusition as a stand alone codex and are rushing things out the door, nothing new and removal of Inqusition options isn't all that surprising.

Wait and see though – could be a massive change before release as we saw last time.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2014-08-10 at 07:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Could you remove those images? GW really doesn't like people posting wargear costs.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Seems like a fake to me; I don't see GW doing a model-less release.

21. - Top - End - #411

Griffon

Didn't something like this happen with one of the other recent Codices that came out? The entire Space Wolves codex published online for a few hours in place of what should have been the sneak-preview, or something along those lines?

What I'm saying is, new pages getting 'leaked' twice in two books is.... unlikely. Does anyone else feel like GW might be trying the 'viral' marketing route of advertising, rather than the traditional one?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

People managed to get a hold of scans of most of the wolves codex last week, but nothing on his level.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Grey Knights e-codex leaks

From 3++ http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/08/grey-knight-leaks/
    Good thing you posted what the article says, so I don't have to go to a blog that is mostly just link-bait at this point. That said, everything in the quote just looks like an educated guess and from what I read, I feel like saying "Dur, no [poop]." In case you missed it, I've got nothing against you, I just hate what that blog - and a lot of 40K blogs for that matter - have become. Tactics, Battle Reports and list reviews are almost non-existant, the majority of which have been replaced by link-bait rumours and wish-lists disguised as rumours. I believe a recent post on that site was just a straight up 600 word ad for War Machine - again, I refuse to go to that site, so I don't know, but that's what I heard. Then I also heard that there was another post ad for Firestorm Armada. Honestly, if I want a general hobby blog, I can go to BoLS.

People managed to get a hold of scans of most of the wolves codex last week, but nothing on his level.
    Are you kidding? About a week out, several units in the Codex were leaked in Spanish - but we can still read statlines and a lot of wargear was intuitive.
    About two days before release, the entire Bestiary and Relics were leaked, scanned. The whole thing. All of it. In English.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Good thing you posted what the article says, so I don't have to go to a blog that is mostly just link-bait at this point. That said, everything in the quote just looks like an educated guess and from what I read, I feel like saying "Dur, no [poop]." In case you missed it, I've got nothing against you, I just hate what that blog - and a lot of 40K blogs for that matter - have become. Tactics, Battle Reports and list reviews are almost non-existant, the majority of which have been replaced by link-bait rumours and wish-lists disguised as rumours. I believe a recent post on that site was just a straight up 600 word ad for War Machine - again, I refuse to go to that site, so I don't know, but that's what I heard. Then I also heard that there was another post ad for Firestorm Armada. Honestly, if I want a general hobby blog, I can go to BoLS.

Are you kidding? About a week out, several units in the Codex were leaked in Spanish - but we can still read statlines and a lot of wargear was intuitive.
    About two days before release, the entire Bestiary and Relics were leaked, scanned. The whole thing. All of it. In English.
    I meant no one had "screenshots" of the upcoming codex within days of the previous release. Hence my skepticism.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Whoever is writing the Space Wolves Guide, hopefully you can use some of my knowledge...

Warlord Traits
    1. Just pay points for Helm of Durfast. Re-roll.
    2. Beasts and Cavalry gain Stubborn and Furious Charge.
    3. Monster Hunter is passed to the unit.
    4. Blergh. Not good enough.
    5. RNG sucks. Stealth is good though
    6. Re-roll Morale checks is good.

Relics
    Bite of Fenris; Ignore.
    Helm of Durfast; Excellent.
    Black Death; Since Wolves don't have access to Eternal Warrior, ignore.
    Fangsword of the Ice Wolf; Same points as Black Death, you should get it.
    Armour of Russ; Trying really hard to figure out who this is for. Wolf Lords and Priests already have 4++, and Rune Priests don't want to be anywhere near a Challenge. So, yeah. Do you fight against Phoenix Lords a lot?
    Wulfen Stone; Would be really good if it wasn't so expensive and Ragnar Blackmane didn't exist.

HQ
    Ragnar Blackmane; Has a Wulfen Stone and Fangsword, with Melta Bombs. Master-Crafted is annoying when he will always be in a Challenge anyway.
    Harald Deathwolf; Frost Axe and Storm Shield, with Thunderwolf, pretty bad, considering 'Who is shooting Flamers at Thunderwolves? ' Although he does have guarenteed Outflank - remember that he doesn't have to join Thunderwolves.
    Canis Wolfborn; He has Rampage. Just pay the five points for Harald.
    Rune Priest; You can now pay points to have Adamantium Will and a Psychic Hood. Put him on a Bike and join him to your Thunderwolf Death Star to protect against Psychic Shrieks and Hallucinations, because if your opponent's Telepath hasn't rolled Invisibility and/or Shrouded, they must have rolled something else - makes sense, right?
    Njal Stormcaller; ML3 Divination is nice.
    Wolf Priest; Preferred Enemy (Type) is good. But you should always pay the 35 Points for...

Ulrik the Slayer; WINNAR. Gives any unit he joins Preferred Enemy (Everything), and Monster Hunter, just because, so stick him in a unit with a lot of Plasma - including himself. He also gives his unit the #4 Warlord Trait as well, just by being a Wolf Priest. Gives out Fear and Fearless to his unit, and everyone around him who isn't Fearless, is Stubborn instead. The only thing that Ulrik is missing is Adamtantium Will and a 2+ save, but, Rune Priests with the Armour of Russ are still less than 100 Points.

Bjorn the Fell-Handed; +1 to Seize is nice. But, other than that, he's not that impressive. He is BS6 though. Give him a Helfrost Cannon.

Elites
    Venerable Dreadnoughts; Turns out the Blizzard Shield is a Melee weapon, so the Dread gets +1 Attack for having two weapons. So that's amusing because shield bash.
    Murderfang; I don't get him.

Wolf Guard; 28 Points for a Combi-Weapon model. 10 more points and you can have 2+ saves and Power Weapons...

Wolf Guard Terminators; 38 Points for Combi-Weapons, same as they were. But the big news is that Storm Shields are free - though they replace your Melee weapon, not your Ranged weapon. Basically it means that if your WGTs have Storm Shields; They're limited to Thunder Hammers, Wolf Claws, Storm Bolters or Combi-Weapons. Although having a Cyclone Missile Launcher with a free Storm Shield is neat. The points disparity between PAWGs and WGTs is made up for by the fact that WGTs only need to be taken in units of three. Minimum unit of of PAWGs is 90 Points, vs. minimum WGTs is 99. Pretty close. Then factor in that Combi-Weapons are 10 points and 5 respectively, and the points even out. The only consideration is that Drop Pods for WGTs will take one of your Fast slots.

Fast Attack
    Swiftclaws; 7th Ed. Bikers with Rage. I know there's a list there, but damned if I know what it is.
    Stormwolf; You've all seen it, just note how LoS works (hint; it doesn't) when you try and fire the Lascannons.
    Skyclaws; I want to like them, I just don't.
    Rhinos/Razorbacks/Drop Pods; What do you mean you aren't using Allies? Are you still in 5th Ed.?

Heavy
    Stormfang; At least its no-LoS Missiles will be able to shoot at Fliers (how terrible would it have been if they were Blast?).

Logan Grimnar
    Holder of the WWE Championship Belt. When in his Chariot, he effectively has 7 Wounds, as the Chariot can't be Penetrated - and therefore will never Explode - and he, himself has Eternal Warrior which means he can't die. No matter how it works, both units when targeted have a 4++, so it's not like a Catty Barge at all. Logan has a 4++, the Chariot has a 4++. Whoever takes the 'hit' has an independent 4++ of their own. You don't have to obtusely ignore two full pages of rules and focus on one sentence in order for the Chariot to have an Invulnerable save. Again, same as Ghazgkull, the problem with these types of Lords of War, is that they're not HQs, and you still need to take one of those before you can actually have a CAD.

Great Company; If you're taking that many units of Grey Hunters, you want them to have Objective Secured. Also note that a Warlord in a CAD can re-roll his Warlord Trait no matter what table they roll on. However, every unit in the Detachment gains Fear and Furious Charge. Even though we're not playing 30K, Crimson Slaughter has seen a bit of success due to everything having Fear - Furious Charge is just a bonus.

The Wolves Unleashed; Same problems as the Great Company, except instead of being 'forced' to take at least five units that would otherwise have Objective Secured, you can instead take 2<6 HQ choices and your units with said HQs in them have a 50% chance to have Outflank. You still lose Objective Secured and a regular Warlord can re-roll anything he wants, but your trade off is actually something useful, rather than a Great Company's 'Nothing'.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Armor of Russ has something for everyone- Rune Priests get a 4++ for only a tad more than runic armor, while Wolf Priests and Wolf Lords get to go first even against... Well, everyone except I10 guys. Or you take the Black Death and make the other guy also I1 (ith a few exceptions). The main issue is the weapon that goes best with it, Krakenborne (AP 2 +1 S sword) is in the supplement, and thus cannot be taken with it (Champions of Fenris has an overpriced suit of terminator armored with IWND for its armor).

Edit: found out a little more about the Grey Knight rumors. Apparently whoever put together the enhanced EBook accidentally put a Grey Knights List builder where the Space Wolves one should be. Given we're several months away from thre release, its probably a playtest version through.
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-08-11 at 11:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417

A game shop owner in a 40k group I follow on Facebook claims Grey Knights is dropping on August 23rd. I'm fairly certain he must be mistaken, though; two Codices in a month seems highly unlikely.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Armor of Russ has something for everyone- Rune Priests get a 4++ for only a tad more than runic armor, while Wolf Priests and Wolf Lords get to go first even against... Well, everyone except I10 guys.
    Not really. If a Wolf Lord is on a Thunderwolf (they should be, they don't have Eternal Warrior anymore), then they're also packing a Power Fist or Thunder Hammer for S10 goodness. But, in that case, they're also I1, it just means that the other guy isn't going to strike first, and, since he'll be in a Challenge for his armour to actually work, it means the rest of his squad wont be able to hit the Challenger. On a really good day, you might prefer a Fangsword of the Ice Wolf on your Thunderlord, and in that case, Armour of Russ is really good and your Thunderlord is now really expensive. But, to be fair, 6th Ed. Wolf Lords were costing upwards of 250 Points, so it's not like this is new.

6th Ed.
    Wolf Lord - 260 Points
    Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Bike, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Bear

7th Ed.
    Wolf Lord - 250 Points
    Thunderwolf Mount, Storm Shield, Helm of Durfast, Fangsword of the Ice Wolf, Armour of Russ

You've lost Eternal Warrior. But you've traded up from a Bike to a Thunderwolf. You can trade Fangsword for a Power Fist anytime you want. You've traded 'Always Hit on 3+', to 'Re-roll To Hit'. The trade-offs are there, but you've still lost Eternal Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    A game shop owner in a 40k group I follow on Facebook claims Grey Knights is dropping on August 23rd. I'm fairly certain he must be mistaken, though; two Codices in a month seems highly unlikely.
    From what I've seen, it looks like an e-release. Like that Blood Angels one. Where all they did was reprint the Codex and throw in a couple of Warlord Traits, and I haven't seen anyone talk about or even play with the Blood Angels' 'new' book.

Part 3 of the Sanctus Reach campaign is called Maledictus and will feature Grey Knights - and more Space Wolves. Uhh...What are they Grey Knights doing in Sanctus Reach? There has been no indication of any Daemons at all thus far, it's all Orks, all the time. Dearest GW, please don't screw up what is so far a pretty good story by cramming in Daemons and Grey Knights at the last second. Why are you doing this dumb thing?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-08-11 at 05:30 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any good army builder programs that have the Space Wolf codex yet?

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Is there any good army builder programs that have the Space Wolf codex yet?
    Excell is pretty good. Google Docs also has a spreadsheet template which basically works like Excell.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome