New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: RoR - IC thread

1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RoR - IC thread

Lee sets a brisk pace, jogging into the night. Fortunately, clear skies and a half moon make it fairly easy to judge distance on the cobbled road, once your eyes adjust to the lack of a lantern. You jog for what seems like an eternity, in reality about two hours, up and down the rolling hills east of Falcon's Hollow. Finally, you glimpse the unmistakable glow of fire over the next hill. Judging the distance at about another half mile, the party to comes to a brief halt.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Fortitude save vs DC 14, or take 1 point of nonlethal damage, and become fatigued. The fort save is a free possible exception, so don't bitch :-P (you would not have caught up tonight without hustling.)

A comfortable walk will get you there in 20 more minutes, and will not prompt more fatigue, but will not remove the condition, without rest or some other curative effect.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Fort Save
    Show
    Vs DC 14: (1d20+4)[11]

Lorelei leans against a nearby tree, panting with the exertion of the pace. Thank the Gods, we've caught up. Breathing deeply, she peers into the darkness. What now? she says, looking at Lee.

Spoiler: Other skills
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+9)[24] minus 1 for fatigue. >_<
    Perception: (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2014-12-21 at 03:47 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: Fortitude Save
    Show
    (1d20+2)[7]

Lucas drops to his hands and knees as the glow of the campfire comes into view. "Hold on... Megan..." he gasps between heaving breaths. "Ok... we caught up... and they don't know we're here yet." He pauses to take a long pull from his waterskin, and afterwards he is visibly more composed. "This could be our best chance to get her back. What do you think?"
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-12-21 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Fortitude vs. Fatigue
    Show
    (1d20)[16] vs. DC 14 or Fatigued and take 1 nonlethal damage.

Flynn looks a bit startled at the winded state of his companions. "Now, I go in and see if they have reason to suspect me of anything. If they don't, I beguile them with stories and entertainment while all of you get ready to ambush them and repay them for killing those guards back in town and scaring the peace out of good people like Megan's folks," Flynn says. As the rest of the company recovers from the run he pulls out some supplies and takes several moments changing his appearance and adjusting his clothing, slowly appearing to become someone else.

Spoiler: OoC - Plans
    Show
    I am going to attempt to disguise myself as a wandering story-teller (which should not be hard given my class and skill set), join the soldiers' little camp, and fascinate as many as possible unless someone has a better plan.

Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    Disguise modifier is a +6 (with (it is intended to be rolled secretly by the DM to see how successful it is). I am only trying to make myself not appear as Flynn Sullivan - I am not even upset if I smell of alcohol still.

Perception is at +8 as we approach. I am deliberately not being stealthy as I approach so as not to spook the guards.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Fort Save
    Show

(1d20+3)[15]

Lee takes a few long breaths and a sip of water before speaking.

Try to figure' out where they got the guard uniforms from. Something bout that don't sit right.

Taking out his bow, he readies an arrow. Watching Flynn as he prepares himself.

Handy skill for a criminal....
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-12-21 at 08:43 PM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing the preparations being made by the party, Lorelei readies her crossbow, ready to follow Lee.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lucas pulls himself back to his feet and dusts off his knees as his breathing steadies. "Ok, give us some kind of signal if you need us to move. We'll be just out of sight." He pulls a javelin out from the case on his back and tests the heft. "If things start to go south, I'll be a distraction while you get Megan out. I'm sure they'll come running if I start yelling about... about the book." Lucas swallows as he draws his sword with his other hand, his mouth suddenly dry.
    Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    To hide stealthily while observing Flynn's performance:
    Stealth (1d20+7)[8] Oh dear.
    Perception (1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-12-23 at 07:22 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: DM screen
    Show

(1d20+11)[25] disguise Flynn
    (1d20-1)[10] perception, sword guard
    (1d20-7)[-4] stealth, sword guard (+15 for distance) = 11
    (1d20+5)[13] perception, bow guard
    (1d20)[6] stealth, bow guard (+2 for distance) = 8
    (1d2)[2] 1= sword close, 2= bow close

(1d20+8)[10] perception Flynn

The party walks, quietly, towards the encampment. As they near the top of the hill, all but Flynn hide just off the road. Flynn strolls up the rest of the hill, whistling.

Spoiler: @Flynn:
    Show
    When you reach the top of the hill, you see a small encampment, less than 100 feet in front of you, on the right side of the road. A large campfire, with easily enough room for more than the 4 soldiers who lay around it dominates your view. A small tent sits beside a larger tent, on the opposite side of the fire from the road. A small wagon sits just past the tents, beside a row of 7 horses, picketed for the night.

A single guard, wearily patrolling his area, looks to see you as you top the hill, from about 30 feet away. In the moonlight, you can plainly see his drawn bow- the arrow aimed at you.

You there! Declare yourself! (the rest of the party hears these words, though not loudly).

Spoiler: et all:
    Show
    Merek's player, as mentioned in the hangout, has dropped out for the time being. Unless someone wants to volunteer to write up a level 2 monk to replace him, and play him as an NPC, I would prefer that we agree that Merek decided to stay in Falcon's Hollow, for the time being, intent upon rebuilding the monastery. Let me know if you all disapprove, and since the party is mixing up, let me know if you'd like to restructure your character because of it. Hopefully, it won't shake up too much.

the map is updated, though only Flynn is in a position to see any of it, and much of the landscape is shrouded in darkness, especially further from the fire.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Lee lets Flynn move up the road while he takes a wide circle around the camp.

Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show

Circle wide around the camp. Entering the map from the North side. (U,1) ultimately settling down in (U,4)

(1d20+9)[16] Stealth
    (1d20+6)[22] Perception
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lorelei carefully follows Lee...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+8)[24] <-- add 1 if this counts as a "hilly or rocky area"
    Perception: (1d20)[4]

11. - Top - End - #761

NecromancerGuy

"Whoa! Don' shoot me! Ah'm just walkin', don' wan' any trouble," Flynn cries with his hands above his head, the bard's voice clear and startled sounding. "Ah saw your campfire an thought maybe Ah could find some company this evening - bin travelin' most of the night tryin' to find a good place to stop. May Ah come forward? Ah can tell a good story or two, help make the night pass a bit mo' pleasantly..."

Flynn waits, his posture respectful and open to the soldier, and keeps his face forward, carefully watching in the darkness as the man aim his bow. "If you have any ale or wine to spare Ah can make it worth your while to let me join you and the rest uh your company," he says, a nervous smile on his lips.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Low light vision, Perception modifier +8, Bluff +4 (so far I have deliberately said what I said to avoid needing to lie, though being in disguise I am obviously trying to deceive), Diplomacy +9, Sense Motive +9

I would prefer to be using Diplomacy to improve the attitude of the guard. Flynn responded loudly enough to be heard by all and hopefully wake up at least a couple more soldiers, hoping the offer of stories might interest more than just the one guard on watch.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: dm screen
    Show

(1d20+5)[11] minus distance, perception vs Lee & Lor 11
    (1d20+6)[14] Flynn bluff 14
    (1d20+3)[4] sense motive 4

(1d20+5)[18] crofton perception 18

The soldier hisses at Flynn. Keep yer damned voice down! he says in a harsh whisper. Trust me, you don' wanna wake our sergeant! The soldier looks at Flynn for a several seconds, his gaze occasionally flitting into the grass behind him, before responding. Look, we don' have any ale, and cannot accept your offer of making the night pass more peacably, but if yer looking for a safe place to rest your eyes until daybreak, you can lay at our camp. I'll make sure to be nearby so that I can explain yer presence in the morning, but otherwise, I'd encourage ya to make as little noise as ya can. The soldier turns his back to Flynn, and proceeds to move south, off the road.

Show
    If you're moving, place your character the appropriate distance away from your original location, as per a round of combat (modify speed by terrain and stealth attempts, as necessary)

Congrats, Rob, Flynn has not yet failed an opposed charisma check. No penalty for you!

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lucas creeps through the tall grass on the west side of camp while Flynn and the guard are speaking, trying to circle around to the wagons.
    Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Stealth + Difficult Terrain = Slow Lucas
    I've moved him from E13 to F17, using a double-move while being sneaky.
    Stealth (1d20+7)[14] (plus partial cover from tall grass?)
    Perception (1d20+4)[17]
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764

NecromancerGuy

"Oh, mah mistake, sir. Ah didn' realize this was a military camp. Still, it mus' be safer with you than out here in the dark...Ah accept your offer. Where should I set mah pack down to be the leas' in the way?" Flynn responds, only the slightest bit quieter than before. He continues to walk towards the camp, whistling tunelessly as he does and moving with slightly exaggerated and ineffectively quiet steps. As he sees the various guards asleep he walks so that they remain between him and the campfire, looking towards the two tents attentively and moving around the north side towards the side of the fire with the picketed horses.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Flynn walks roughly halfway between the road and guards on the north side. As he passes G2 he will move toward "make camp" near the wagon and horses.

He is deliberately failing to be quiet (but not trying to be loud either), though he is trying to look as if he wants to move without waking the other guards. If that kind of movement is another bluff check, and it is obvious the guard on watch recognizes it he will follow directions and stop making his steps appear exaggerated at all, laughing at the "joke".

Perception +8 with low light vision, staying attentive to the patrolling guard and signs of anyone awake in the camp. I want him to get a good look at the two tents, wagon, and horses to see if there are options to either commandeer some of the animals, sabotage the wagon, or see who is in which tent. If he sees Megan he will try not to let her see his face in the darkness so as not to give him away.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Show

(1d20+6)[25] Flynn bluff
    (1d20+3)[19] Bow opposed to bluff

(1d20+5)[18] bow perception (-distance)
    (1d20+1)[9] sword perception (-distance)
    (1d20+5)[19] fighter perception (-distance)

(1d20+2)[17] fighter stealth
    [roll[1d20+8[/roll]26 Flynn perception

The guard with the bow turns to face Flynn briefly before stepping off the road and into the more easily camouflaged darkness of the terrain to the side. map

Spoiler: @Rob:
    Show
    As you approach the campfire, you notice the flap of the large tent shifting briefly. In the darkness beyond, you cannot catch a glimpse of whoever moved it, but someone inside is assuredly awake.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Another round has passed (2 rounds from my initial placement), if you want to be moving, do so accordingly, with another stealth check, as applicable. perception>12(+1 per 10 feet from guard) to see where he went. I'll let you know, based on your rolls.

@James and Starnes: If you're moving.... you should be moving on the map. I don't know how to tell you what you can see and what you can't from there. You gave me stealth checks, but didn't move your characters.

@James: this definitely counts as hilly. Feel free to add 1 to your relevant rolls for this encounter.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lucas continues moving at a crouching half-jog along the southern perimeter of the camp.
    Spoiler: Movement & Rolls
    Show
    Double move (at half speed) from F17-J21.
    Stealth (1d20+7)[27]
    Perception (1d20+4)[9]
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-12-25 at 06:02 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Another round has passed (2 rounds from my initial placement), if you want to be moving, do so accordingly, with another stealth check, as applicable. perception>12(+1 per 10 feet from guard) to see where he went. I'll let you know, based on your rolls.

@James and Starnes: If you're moving.... you should be moving on the map. I don't know how to tell you what you can see and what you can't from there. You gave me stealth checks, but didn't move your characters.

@James: this definitely counts as hilly. Feel free to add 1 to your relevant rolls for this encounter.
    Spoiler: @John
    Show
    My intention was to move north and head the long way around the camp. That is what I meant in my original post. If it is the second round of double moves (at half speed) then I should be off the map right now and about to turn east. After one more round of movement I intend to reenter the map from (U,1) and settle down into (U,4)

So, Round 4 or 5 return to the map.
    (1d20+9)[12] Stealth
    (1d20+6)[16] Perception

Once I'm in position, I will take 10 on stealth checks for a base of 19 (without any modifiers due to distance)

Last edited by Untarr; 2014-12-25 at 09:27 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Actions/OOC
    Show
    Lorelei's intent was to follow Lee, Crossbow readied. Double move actions from a base 30 ft move speed. If there's a problem with his instructions, they apply to Lorelei as well.

Stealth: (1d20+9)[14]
    Perception: (1d20)[12]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Lorelei Cooper
    F CN Human Magus (Kensai), Level 2, Init +3, HP 16/16, DR 0, Speed 30 ft
    AC 15, Touch 15, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +2, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Scimitar Ranged +1 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
    Masterwork Crossbow (Light) (Bolts, 17) Ranged +1 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 9, Cha 7
    Condition Fatigued: -2 str, -2 dex

19. - Top - End - #769

NecromancerGuy

Flynn continues to move into the camp, making his way towards the wagon and horses. If any of the guards are awake he will greet them with a smile and a slightly too loud, "'Ello! How are you this lovely night?"

Show
    Last round I wanted to be somewhere between the road and the campfire, closer to the whole thing, but that is alright. Now I want to be moving towards AG17. Same modifiers for skill checks.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lucas continues moving towards the tents.
    Spoiler: Movement & Rolls
    Show
    To help John adjudicate, unless something significant happens here are Lucas' intended moves (all at 1/2 speed) and rolls for the next few rounds:

Round "3"
    Move from J21->P21
    Stealth (1d20+7)[23]
    Perception (1d20+4)[18]

Round "4"
    Move from P21->U24
    Stealth (1d20+7)[11]
    Perception (1d20+4)[24]

Round "5"
    Move from U24->X25
    Stealth (1d20+7)[23]
    Perception (1d20+4)[7]

Round "6"
    Move from X25->AC25 and listen at tent
    Stealth (1d20+7)[27]
    Perception (1d20+4)[23]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    At current, with two double moves and half speed (due to stealthing), Lee is at "0/E.". I have adjusted the map, adding 6 rows at the top. Lee is placed two double-moves at half speed north of the starting point.

Lorelei is moving with..... either Lucas or Lee? I need an answer, for sure, though.

Lucas is placed where he has moved to.

Awaiting Lorelei's position before adjudicating perceptions.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Show

(1d20+5)[22]bow
    (1d20+1)[12]sword

Spoiler: Lee & Lorelei
    Show
    You see, about 120 feet in front of you, the unmistakable glimmer of moonlight reflecting off of metal. It appears to be moving steadily towards you and resolves into the form of an armored man, before turning southward about 100 feet away.

Spoiler: Lucas
    Show
    As you creep through the grass, a figure in dark leather crosses in front of you, no more than 20 feet away. It doesn't appear to notice you, despite looking away from the fire regularly, and continues moving S/SE, away from you.

Flynn walks/stumbles into the light of the fire. None of the guards stir.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Effective Round 3 has been completed. Please give actions as per round 4, if you haven't already.

24. - Top - End - #774

NecromancerGuy

Flynn finishes moving into the light of the campfire where he looks around carefully before sitting down rather loudly, huffing and stretching his legs with a loud sigh/groan.

Show
    Finish movinging to AG17 and then look around the tents, horses, and wagon for signs of Megan.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Rob:
    Show
    You don't see any sign of Megan, and a few of the guards start rolling fitfully. One, on the other side of the fire (you can't actuallysee him) grunts loudly, before mumbling at you: Shaddup! Ain' time fer my watch yet. Lemme sleep, you lout!

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Effective Round 4

"Hey! Pssst!" Lucas hisses quietly to get the dark figure's attention, and waits for it to turn around.
    Spoiler: Contingencies
    Show
    The intent is for Lucas to have his javelin half-raised when the figure sees him: not about to immediately throw, but also showing he means business.

If dark figure attacks or draws a weapon, throw javelin:
    Point Blank Atk (1d20+4)[21]
    CC (1d20+4)[16] (20/x2)
    Dmg (1d6+3)[6] plus Sneak Attack (1d6)[3] if applicable.
    Then move action to close to melee while shifting shortsword to dominant hand.

If dark figure waits or speaks back:
    "Who are you???" will be Lucas' first, whispered question.

If dark figure attempts to run:
    Lucas will give chase and attempt to tackle figure to the ground, as quietly as possible. (Grapple rules, maybe? Blech.)

Previous "Round 4" skill results were Stealth 11 and Perception 24
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2014-12-26 at 04:36 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Round 4

Combat has well and truly begun.
    Show
    You can act on round 4, but use reason when determining your actions. What you do will happen while the following is taking place. Perhaps delay initiative until after Lucas and this guard?, and act as per a normal round of combat?

Either way, roll initiative, and let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!

Show

initiatives
    (1d20+2)[7]Crofton
    (1d20+2)[8]G1
    (1d20+2)[17]G2
    (1d20)[11]G3
    (1d20)[9]G4
    (1d20)[15]G5
    (1d20)[4]G6

possible attacks:
    Crofton: (1d20+5)[13] perception
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d20+5)[23] (25, x3)
    (1d8+3)[7]
    +(2d8+6)[18]?

bow G1:
    (1d20+5)[9]
    (1d20+5)[12] (25, x3)
    (1d8+1)[8]
    +(2d8+2)[8]?

if necessary:
    (1d20+3)[6] to reverse a grapple

or draw falchion and:
    (1d20+3)[12]
    (1d20+3)[16] (21-23, x2)
    (2d4+1)[4]
    +(4d4+2)[16]?
    Whatever it is failed horribly.

All other guards: 1 move action to rise, and 1 move action to draw weapons (no armor, except G1, G6, and Fighter)

What? The man turns to face you, and sees you in the dim light. At the sight of your raised javelin, he turns to run to the fire, yelling TO ARMS! -UGH! Lucas' javelin catches him solidly, eliciting a grunt and slowing the guard greatly. WE'RE UNDER ATTACK! To me! Lucas closes to melee, and the guard drops his bow and draws the large sword over his shoulder. He attacks the rogue, but misses badly, his aim hindered by the recent blow.

The four guards at the fire rise quickly, actions more a result of instinct and drilling than any awareness. None are armored, and all of them take a moment to root their weapons from the piles beside them. One pulls another bow, one pulls a sword and shield, and the other two retrieve polearms. An armored man bursts from the big tent, with a bow in his hand and a wicked looking flail in a sheathe over his shoulder. He peers into the darkness, and sees his guard in melee with Lucas. He fires at Lucas, heedless of the risk of firing into melee, but does not hit either of the men. He does, however, call out several orders. Blast it all! Get to it, men! You're trained for this!

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Round 4 actions in previous post (throw javelin, close to melee).
    Init (1d20+2)[20]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Lucas Taggert
    M CG Human Rogue, Level 2, Init +2, HP 16/17, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort +2, Ref +5, Will -2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    (Point Blank throw) Javelin (5) +4 (+5) (1d6 + 3 (+4), x2)
    Spring loaded wrist sheath x2 Dagger (3) +4 (+5) (1d4 + 3 (+4), 19-20/x2)
    Masterwork Shortsword +5 (1d6 + 4, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 10
    Condition None
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 4

Hearing the cry, Lee points to the nearest guard and whispers to Lorelei

Take him out.

Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show

Move Aciton: Study G6
    Standard Action: Attack
    Deadly Aim
    (1d20+7)[16] (+1 Studied Target, -1 Deadly Aim)
    (1d20+7)[21]
    (1d8+5)[7] (+2 Str, +2 Deadly Aim, +1 Studied Target)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+6)[16] Initiative
    Show