New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread IX: "Post-human Centipede"

Welcome to the Ninth Warhammer 40k fluff thread.

Why do we have a fluff thread and a tabletop thread? Well, because, to put it bluntly, arguments about fluff can take up a lot of space. And that makes it hard for people to get critiques on their list. So, if you need to find out what's a good color scheme for your custom Dark Angels Successor chapter, Argue the morality of the setting yet again (Oh, how we wish you wouldn't), or even share fluff you've written for your army, here's the place. This is even the place to come and ask about the thread's title, if you don't get it

Just remember, in the Grim Darkness of the dark future, there is only pointless bickering!

Previous Threads
    Thread I: Warning: No Fanboys Allowed ()
    Thread II: Heresy Grown From Idleness
    Thread III: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion III: You're Emprah? Well I didn't vote for you!
    Thread IV: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion IV
    Thread V:Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion V -WARNING: May Contain Heresy
    Thread VI:Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion VI- They see me Ward'en, they haten
    Thread VII: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion VII - "There's A Codex Entry For That"
    Thread VIII: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion VIII - ""Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER"

Things What We Talked About Recently:
    • Levels of canon between books, codexes and games
    • construction and rarity of power weapons
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread IX: "Post-human Centipede"

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni, 8 months ago
    Hopefully by the time page 50 of this thread rolls round, we'll have forgotten all about that suggestion...

You're one sick puppy, Zorg. I knew there was a reason I loved you =)
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Necron Tomb Stalker? Or are there any other posthuman centipedes?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A topic that came up last thread:

It's been said that "WH40k canon fluff" comprises of any fluff printed in any official or officially sanctioned tabletop gaming book (so GW's mainline tabletop wargame rulebooks and Forgeworld's stuff) and any fluff printed in any BL novel not declared Heretical. Anything else--namely 40k videogames--do not qualify as being canon.

Does anyone have any tangible proof of this, outside of Dawn of War fluff being very silly at times? Like, an official statement by a GW rep saying the above? Or is the above just something we've inferred?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    A topic that came up last thread:

It's been said that "WH40k canon fluff" comprises of any fluff printed in any official or officially sanctioned tabletop gaming book (so GW's mainline tabletop wargame rulebooks and Forgeworld's stuff)
    Do FFG's books count as "sanctioned tabletop gaming" - albeit roleplay rather than wargame?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Do FFG's books count as "sanctioned tabletop gaming" - albeit roleplay rather than wargame?
    I dunno--FFG material rarely seems to come up in conversation around here. Or at least, Cheesegear has rarely talked about it, and he's the main source of the policy I mentioned as far as I'm aware.

7. - Top - End - #7

So.. Hum.. Do we keep talking about the thread title, or that choice up-there is permanent?

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    So.. Hum.. Do we keep talking about the thread title, or that choice up-there is permanent?
    Personally, I'd like to keep discussing it, and specifically, vote for anything that isn't it.

I dunno--FFG material rarely seems to come up in conversation around here. Or at least, Cheesegear has rarely talked about it, and he's the main source of the policy I mentioned as far as I'm aware.
    I talk about FFG's material fairly often when I come here.

I tend towards the position that it's canon-unless-otherwise-mentioned.

Also, I was under the impression that DoW was considered non-canon not for its inherent video-game status, but because of numerous gross fluff inconsistencies, which I can't recall at the moment. (I guess it does portray the Alpha Legion as having fallen to chaos, rather than just going around being jerks)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea about how much the inner workings of the Inquisition are explained elsewhere, but FFg have actually written a crap ton on how the Inquisition is divided into puritans and radicals and goes into the inner workings of how they have an organisation or high-functioning sociopaths trying to "fix" the Imperium.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Does anyone have any tangible proof of this, outside of Dawn of War fluff being very silly at times?
    The games are not canon. The books - however rage-inducing they may be - are canon. It was a statement that somebody made into the lead-up of Dawn of War 2 that the fluff behind the first game was really, really bad and that DoW2 would try and step it up a notch - they didn't, but did they did add more nods to the wider 40K universe. Consider this, 40K fans talk about the 'Abnett-verse' all the time (they do), imagine that there's this other place, the Dawn of War-verse, where everything is kind of like 40K, but completely fails at being externally consistent with the setting that it's in.

The 40K RPGs, are largely considered canon - because a great deal of it is actually copy-pasted from other sources. But the stuff that is made up - i.e; Gunmetal City - is feasibly a place that could exist, which needs some real cleaning up by the Inquisition and its agents.

Basically, what is and isn't Fluff comes down to consistency. Kind of like how pre-Disney Star Wars had something like eight 'levels' of canon (?), and people taking serious part in a Star Wars conversation don't talk about about below level 3 or something. Or when you're talking about Superman, you don't bring up the stupid powers that he's only ever used once back in the 1950s. For 40K, That Thing We Don't Talk About, is Dawn of War.

EDIT: ...and Squats. Especially when you're somebody who isn't even old enough to remember when they were relevant. Because if you were old enough to remember, you'd know that they were actually kind of terrible, and they don't need to be brought back.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-07-28 at 08:28 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The 40K RPGs, are largely considered canon - because a great deal of it is actually copy-pasted from other sources
    Doesn't one of the books say that C'tan draw their powers from the warp and ate the souls of the Necrontyr?

Also, why does the Space Marine creation tables list Salamander geneseed less stable than Space Wolf?
    Last edited by *.*.*.*; 2014-07-28 at 08:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    Also, why does the Space Marien creation tables list Salamander geneseed less stable than Space Wolf?
    The Black Dragons drag down the average stability of Salamanders geneseed.

More seriously, Space Wolf geneseed isn't prone to malfunctions to the same frequency as Salamanders.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It was voted on. And the centipede never came up in the voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    More seriously, Space Wolf geneseed isn't prone to malfunctions to the same frequency as Salamanders.
    But their only successor chapter devolved into wulfen monstrosities

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    But their only successor chapter devolved into wulfen monstrosities
    Yes, but that wasn't a fault with the geneseed mutating. It was a problem with the inherent nature of Space Wolf geneseed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Space Wolf gene seed generally does exactly what its supposed to- the mark of the wulfen is theoretically a defense mechanism against chaos. The main issue is gene seed compatibility- The Canis Helix has a much higher retention rate among the people of Fenris, who have small quantities of lupine genes (There are no Wolves on Fenris. Just humans who didn't react well to the gene therapy).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Basically, what is and isn't Fluff comes down to consistency. Kind of like how pre-Disney Star Wars had something like eight 'levels' of canon (?), and people taking serious part in a Star Wars conversation don't talk about about below level 3 or something. Or when you're talking about Superman, you don't bring up the stupid powers that he's only ever used once back in the 1950s. For 40K, That Thing We Don't Talk About, is Dawn of War.
    Ok, so the distinction is entirely informal (meaning, largely made by the fans rather than by an official source). Got it.

That said, as long as GW doesn't officially go out and say "Dawn of War is non-canon", then it seems like it's pretty valid for someone to say that, oh, a Tyranid Hive Fleet splinter attacked Subsector Aurelia and the Blood Ravens chapter drove them out, since it technically did happen in the 40k universe. Anyone who did may get confused looks, but nonetheless it's not on the same level as something like "Tyranids and Orks are actually humans" (which is factually false rather than questionably and confusingly true).

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    The vote actually happened? I though we were still in the stages of proposing candidates

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post

Because trolling Brother Oni is more important that democracy.
    And so, my children, the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories, but this tale is finished.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought for the day:
    Appeasement is a curse.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I intend to remember and be here when we hit page 50
    I was hoping that was less of a threat and more of an idle promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Necron Tomb Stalker? Or are there any other posthuman centipedes?
    A reference to an earlier suggestion of what happens if Space Marines accidentally ingest their own faeces since their Omophagea can derive memories from what they eat.

At least Space Marine has the decency to explicitly say it's an alternate universe game. The only problem is, fluff-wise it wasn't too bad, Captain Titus instead of Cato Sicarius aside and some mechanics over fluff choices with equipment like the Iron Halo.

EDIT: ...and Squats. Especially when you're somebody who isn't even old enough to remember when they were relevant. Because if you were old enough to remember, you'd know that they were actually kind of terrible, and they don't need to be brought back.
    Or the 6-limbed zoats who were basically Warhammer Dragon Ogres. Or Ork/stealer hybrids. Or when Space Marines got buffed to a straight 4 stat line.

The vote actually happened? I though we were still in the stages of proposing candidates
    I was wondering why Zorg started up the new thread so quickly - she's been waiting since before Christmas to use this title, hasn't she?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-07-28 at 12:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I was wondering why Zorg started up the new thread so quickly - she's been waiting since before Christmas to use this title, hasn't she?
    A commander must have the courage to see his plan through, for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle lines are drawn.
    - Tactica Imperium
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

A commander must have the courage to see his plan through, for good or ill. Wars are won or lost when the battle lines are drawn.
    - Tactica Imperium
    Thought for the day:
    Appeasement is a curse.
    Well played indeed, Zorg. ++

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Space Wolf gene seed generally does exactly what its supposed to- the mark of the wulfen is theoretically a defense mechanism against chaos. The main issue is gene seed compatibility- The Canis Helix has a much higher retention rate among the people of Fenris, who have small quantities of lupine genes (There are no Wolves on Fenris. Just humans who didn't react well to the gene therapy).

Oh, I didn't realize it was a defense mechanism. Source?

Also, I hadn't realized that the reason the successor chapter failed was to do with Fenris, which makes sense I guess? I had been really confused as to how a successor chapter could possibly fail; why would your geneseed go awry because your have a different color helmet now? But if the successor chapter's new recruiting world had, I dunno, less iron in their diet so they were just a bit less suitable to an already iffy genetherapy process...
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize it was a defense mechanism. Source?

Also, I hadn't realized that the reason the successor chapter failed was to do with Fenris, which makes sense I guess? I had been really confused as to how a successor chapter could possibly fail; why would your geneseed go awry because your have a different color helmet now? But if the successor chapter's new recruiting world had, I dunno, less iron in their diet so they were just a bit less suitable to an already iffy genetherapy process...
    I believe the mention of defense mechanism thing dates back to codex: Black Crusade and the 13th Company list (The reason most of the company has managed to survive 10000 years within the Eye of Terror without mutating is the curse takes hold instead. As a result, every member of the company spends at least some of their time fully wulfened out), while the fate of the Wolf Brothers is elaborated upon in Battle of the Fang, as well as some exploration of where the Canis Helix's idiosyncrasies arose.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious about Eldar Corsairs. Are being from a race as advanced as the Eldar really interested in the prizes to be found in the shipping of other races, which they typically sneer at? Why do so many outcastes gravitate towards a pirate's life?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Excitement, adventure, really wild things!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    I'm curious about Eldar Corsairs. Are being from a race as advanced as the Eldar really interested in the prizes to be found in the shipping of other races, which they typically sneer at? Why do so many outcastes gravitate towards a pirate's life?
    Piracy has never really been about money. In the past, people did it to escape slavery, press ganging, or the generally crappy life of being in the Navy during the age of sail. For the eldar, I imagine its mostly a case of Craftworlds being a rather oppressive life, and the life of an exodite isn't much better. Eventually, you just need supplies, same as the pirates of old, who were always hard up for medical supplies and decent food that wouldn't rot in a week.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Or Ork/stealer hybrids.
    But but... I like the Octarius Empire. We need those. Please. Pretty please.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Piracy has never really been about money. In the past, people did it to escape slavery, press ganging, or the generally crappy life of being in the Navy during the age of sail. For the eldar, I imagine its mostly a case of Craftworlds being a rather oppressive life, and the life of an exodite isn't much better. Eventually, you just need supplies, same as the pirates of old, who were always hard up for medical supplies and decent food that wouldn't rot in a week.
    Hm, okay. I don't know much about actual historical piracy, and had assumed that GW didn't know much about either and had some fantastical explanation as to why Eldar Outcaste might take up piracy. I'm perfectly happy that there is a (potentially) quite realistic explanation for it, though, and I'll do some research on real piracy and see how much of it can be mapped onto the situation of an Eldar Outcast. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The novel Path of the Outcast has quite a stretch in which the protagonist is a corsair.

His motives boil down to 'he was bored and it seemed fun'.