New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Daredevil (Netflix)

So anybody saw this show on Netflix.
    I kinda like how they show the consequences of superhero battle on property, which Hell's Kitchen was turned into hellhole after first Avengers movie.
    And kinda right thing to do since the current Hell's Kitchen is now a better-ish neighborhood than the one written during 1960s and 70s.
    For me, the first episode is decent and kinda show the hook for upcoming episodes
    Spoiler: Ep1 spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if prison guard was killed by Bullseye
    So any opinions? Too bad that they didn't remake the old Defenders with Hulk and Dr. Strange (Namor is under Universal Studios while Silver Surfer is under Fox). They're more like local hero version of Avengers rather than ad-hoc organization against mystical threat. Dang the hard on for Avengers in Marvel media.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Daredevil (Netflix)

I haven't seen it, but I know Bullseye doesn't officially appear, but the sniper might be him.

I also know that Matt wears the black outfit for the whole season. Like seriously? We didn't need 13 episodes of him in that outfit. Although I've seen his red costume and it looks... pretty meh. The 2003 version was way better.

If anyone has seen it, does Daredevil go out and kill people on purpose?
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2015-04-11 at 01:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I know Bullseye doesn't officially appear, but the sniper might be him.

I also know that Matt wears the black outfit for the whole season. Like seriously? We didn't need 13 episodes of him in that outfit.

Well, this was what the black outfit was based on.
    http://www.newsarama.com/23094-dared...-iron-man.html
    And no Bullseye, dang.
    I wonder how would they introduce spiderman.
    A. pre-Avengers years
    B. combination of Batman Beyond (Peter Parker was wounded during Chitauri invasion and took in Mile Morales as his apprentice).
    C. Ultimate Spiderman (white teenager who would die in Civil War movie)
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post

I also know that Matt wears the black outfit for the whole season. Like seriously? We didn't need 13 episodes of him in that outfit. Although I've seen his red costume and it looks... pretty meh. The 2003 version was way better.

Just finished binge watching; responses in spoilers. I will say that I didn't intend to binge watch when I sat down for an episode this morning; you can draw conclusions from that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't able to recognize anybody as Bullseye.

We spend a pretty good amount of time with Matt in his street clothes and with other characters, so it's not really 13 episodes of him in the black. I think they could have switched to the red suit a little earlier, but the black one is...functional. It does the job when he's out fighting. I will say that the horns of the red costume work better in profile than head-on.

Your question, though, I'm not going to answer even in spoiler tags. Whether or not he should kill people on purpose is one of the big dramatic questions. Telling how that shakes out over the course of the season would be a gamebreaker. If you want the answer regardless, you can PM me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

"Does Daredevil go out and kill people" is kinda what the series is about. Also why some problems aren't necessarily solved by punching them.

The show is pretty tightly focused on the story it wants to tell, this isn't Arrow where they just throw characters at the wall and see who sticks, so consequently it doesn't waste any parts of the Daredevil property and doesn't waste time on things that aren't going to eventually matter.

What it does do is put in a large amount of development for all the characters, especially Kingpin.

6. - Top - End - #6

The first superhero series, other than Heroes season 1, for which I'll keep the downloaded episodes.

It's like watching a well-done Arrow, instead of a pulpy, Xena-style Arrow
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I just watched 4 episodes and it's great. I really appreciate how they're spending time developing other characters in the story, not just Daredevil. I hope the success of this show will encourage Marvel & Netflix to team up again. Probably just dreaming, but I'd love to see Elektra: Assassin done in the same style.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Show is good, I could live without the "We are on netflix! WE CAN SHOW GOREEE!" thing they are doing, as well as without Fisk pretending he is Nolan Bat and doing the constant threatening whisper

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

So what other teams would Marvel/Disney make?
    - Steve Gerber's Defenders (the ad-hoc Avengers with Hulk and Dr. Strange who meet in secret and combat mystical threats).
    - New Warriors (including Nova, either Richard Rider or Sam Alexander, which my speculation is that he would crash down to Earth in Civil War to war about Kree-Skrull war or Infinity Gauntlet.)
    - Thunderbolts (Since Zemo is going to be in Civil War, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be 90s version rather than Tony's not-SuicideSquad warhounds).
    Live Action is good but animated series are bad (at least Web Warriors didn't rely on murdering childhood memories or fan favorites to get ratings).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Daredevil is a wonderful show about a bad egg being brought down by a pair of good Avocados.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So what other teams would Marvel/Disney make?
    - Steve Gerber's Defenders (the ad-hoc Avengers with Hulk and Dr. Strange who meet in secret and combat mystical threats).
    - New Warriors (including Nova, either Richard Rider or Sam Alexander, which my speculation is that he would crash down to Earth in Civil War to war about Kree-Skrull war or Infinity Gauntlet.)
    - Thunderbolts (Since Zemo is going to be in Civil War, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be 90s version rather than Tony's not-SuicideSquad warhounds).
    Live Action is good but animated series are bad (at least Web Warriors didn't rely on murdering childhood memories or fan favorites to get ratings).
    Part of me would love a breaking badesque series where we watch someone good slowly slide into super villainy, like say Doctor Doom and his rise to power in Latvia.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Watching the second episode now. Quite good so far. Now, I'm wondering if when we hear about Creel in the flashbacks if that's the Carl Creel we see in Agents of SHIELD earlier this season.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

So far so good. Well, ok if not actually good. It's lacking a bit compared to Arrow, Flash and current AoS, but so far it's better than the first season of AoS (until Hydra broke loose, that is). However, it's just barely started and finding its feet, so it may turn into something better. It has the potential.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

RE The ninja at the start of episode 9

Spoiler
    Show
    THAT IS NOT HOW THAT WEAPON IS USED! well not unless you want to horribly maim yourself.

15. - Top - End - #15

I just wish they had gotten an actress who actually spoke Spanish for real to play the Dominican lady xD
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I hope the success of this show will encourage Marvel & Netflix to team up again.
    I'm pretty sure they have like 3 or 4 series already in the works.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

'Jessica Jones'
    'Luke Cage'
    'Iron Fist'
    All leading into 'Marvel's The Defenders'
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I just wish they had gotten an actress who actually spoke Spanish for real to play the Dominican lady xD
    Hey, don't need to speak the language to be Latina. Not all of us have family histories which allow for us to speak the language.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Hey, don't need to speak the language to be Latina. Not all of us have family histories which allow for us to speak the language.
    Sure, but she's no chicano, she's a first-generation immigrant with a very poor ESL xD

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Sure, but she's no chicano, she's a first-generation immigrant with a very poor ESL xD
    She's half Puerto Rican, on her mother's side, and born in New York. In her mother's generation and my grandfather's generation, there was a strong drive to assimilate into white American culture - which meant not teaching the children Spanish. Also, we aren't really immigrants - so even if she had been born on the island, that wouldn't be a very correct designation.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-04-12 at 01:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

She's half Puerto Rican, on her mother's side, and born in New York. In her mother's generation and my grandfather's generation, there was a strong drive to assimilate into white American culture - which meant not teaching the children Spanish. Also, we aren't really immigrants - so even if she had been born on the island, that wouldn't be a very correct designation.
    I think you're talking about different characters.

He's talking about the old lady in the slum flat not Rosario Dawson.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I think you're talking about different characters.

He's talking about the old lady in the slum flat not Rosario Dawson.
    Ah, in that case, never mind that.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-04-12 at 02:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Watching the second episode now. Quite good so far. Now, I'm wondering if when we hear about Creel in the flashbacks if that's the Carl Creel we see in Agents of SHIELD earlier this season.
    They have officaly said that Yes, that is the same Creel as in Shield, when he was much younger, without powers, and still smei-legit.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm a bit torn on Vincent D'onofrio as the Kingpin. I mean, he looked the part, and it's not that he's a bad actor, it's just that he always looks as though he might be about to burst into tears, which is a little weird for the role.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    I'm a bit torn on Vincent D'onofrio as the Kingpin. I mean, he looked the part, and it's not that he's a bad actor, it's just that he always looks as though he might be about to burst into tears, which is a little weird for the role.
    I saw it that way at first as well, As the series went on I realised it's not tears, it's rage that he's constantly keeping in check.

Spoiler
    Show

At the final episode he starts walking and talking a LOT smoother. When he abandons all rpetense at being respectable and really becomes the Kingpin. Or at leaast he will be next time we see him. This is almost as much an origin story for him as well as Daredevil

Now that sony is playing ball with Marvel, I would love to see the Daily Bugle make an apperance on the Netflix shows as well.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    I saw it that way at first as well, As the series went on I realised it's not tears, it's rage that he's constantly keeping in check.

Spoiler
    Show

At the final episode he starts walking and talking a LOT smoother. When he abandons all rpetense at being respectable and really becomes the Kingpin. Or at leaast he will be next time we see him. This is almost as much an origin story for him as well as Daredevil

Now that sony is playing ball with Marvel, I would love to see the Daily Bugle make an apperance on the Netflix shows as well.
    So which Spiderman will they choose? All I know is that it will be a teenager and a good choice if you remember One More Day
    Spoiler: for the non-comic reader
    Show
    It's a horrible story where Joe Q retcon Peter Parker and Mary Jane marriage to make him "younger". Even other attempts (miscarrying his daughter in Clone Saga, Gwen Stacy being killed at the bridge, etc.) seem lax by comparison.
    - Peter Parker, judging by the fact that he will appear in Civil War and based on Ultimate version, I think he may die to show the collateral damage and child soldiery.
    - Miles Morales, a replacement for Peter Parker and may be used to make the movie diverse.
    - Both, Peter Parker (adult) got incapacitated during Chitauri invasion and/or retired to raise his family and took in Miles Morales as an apprentice.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #27

- Peter Parker, judging by the fact that he will appear in Civil War and based on Ultimate version, I think he may die to show the collateral damage and child soldiery.
    - Miles Morales, a replacement for Peter Parker and may be used to make the movie diverse.
    - Both, Peter Parker (adult) got incapacitated during Chitauri invasion and/or retired to raise his family and took in Miles Morales as an apprentice.
    I know people reallt want Miles Morales, and I can understand that. But I am willing to put down dollars to donughts that you won't see him for a while.

They are going with a young Teenage Peter Parker, and there is no WAY Sony agreed to let Marvel both introduce and then KILL him in the same film.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    I know people reallt want Miles Morales, and I can understand that. But I am willing to put down dollars to donughts that you won't see him for a while.

They are going with a young Teenage Peter Parker, and there is no WAY Sony agreed to let Marvel both introduce and then KILL him in the same film.
    Even for making way for Miles Morales.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kevin Feige made a statement that it will be Peter Parker and he will be around 16 years old. I don't think there is any chance Miles Morales will ever get more than a passing reference in the movies. Morales is as unlikely to be Spider-Man in film as we are to get a Spider-Ham movie. I really don't get the love for him (Miles, not Spider-Ham, Spider-Ham is great).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Even for making way for Miles Morales.
    I like Miles Morales, but introducing him to the MCU that way would justifiably infuriate just about everyone short of those who religiously hate Peter Parker and want to see him die.