New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld thread IV: In memory of King Saline

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    If Albert is a mirror to Jillian, it is a very badly warped mirror. Jillian was often very upset with her father, but she never betrayed him, her side or the people under her command. Jillian and Banhammer where just to VERY different people. And the court treated her HORRIBLY just because she was a warlord. Which of course made her not want to be in Faq and never allowed things to get better. If Albert did kill one of his own people then he did something Jillian never would have really even thought about doing.
    Jillian despised her father's pacifistic beliefs and his insistence on courtesy and nicesties. She went against those things whenever she could.

Albert sees no value in military order and the camaraderie of fellow warriors (which are Jillian's sacred mainstays) apparently or in fighting for your nation.

Jillian ruined her father's tea-parties. Albert ruins his mom's military exercise.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Yes
    Initiate glare procedure.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Initiate glare procedure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You were asking for it. Besides I was nice enough to elaborate. Shouldn't have bothered.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

You were asking for it.
    Oh common, I was joking

I don't hate you. Much ;)

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Oh common, I was joking

I don't hate you. Much ;)
    Would I take it serious I wouldn't have bothered to respond.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Jillian ruined her father's tea-parties. Albert ruins his mom's military exercise.
    Jillian never croaked one of her own and lied about it. (Unless this was a set up). And the military exercise was a test of his abilities as a warlord. Screwing it up is bad for him personally.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Jillian never croaked one of her own and lied about it. (Unless this was a set up). And the military exercise was a test of his abilities as a warlord. Screwing it up is bad for him personally.
    Jillian and her father appreciated different things. To Jillian loyalty, camradeship and honesty are very important. To her father it was manners, niceties. Albert's crime may seem bigger but Jillian's father thought she was just as deviant and immoral.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Jillian and her father appreciated different things. To Jillian loyalty, camradeship and honesty are very important. To her father it was manners, niceties. Albert's crime may seem bigger but Jillian's father thought she was just as deviant and immoral.
    Except that Banhammer was wrong, and Jillian right, by Erfworld's standards.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Banhammer would be even more horrified by Albert than he ever was by Jillian. At least Jills character issues could be channeled in useful ways. Had he gotten Princess Anarchy as his heir old FAQ would have ceased to exist way before they could interact with any part of the plot.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Banhammer would be even more horrified by Albert than he ever was by Jillian. At least Jills character issues could be channeled in useful ways. Had he gotten Princess Anarchy as his heir old FAQ would have ceased to exist way before they could interact with any part of the plot.
    I'm sure Jillian thinks Albert's character issues can be channeled into useful ways eventually. She's not disbanding him in the last update, is she?

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm sure Jillian thinks Albert's character issues can be channeled into useful ways eventually. She's not disbanding him in the last update, is she?
    She would if she could. More seriously using Princess Anarchy? How? I don’t see it. Well maybe to justify joining the battle herself.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

She would if she could. More seriously using Princess Anarchy? How? I don’t see it. Well maybe to justify joining the battle herself.
    She sends him on solo commando missions

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She sends him on solo commando missions
    But wasn’t the whole point of popping him to ensure the continiutation of Faq? Sending him on solo missions would risk that wouldn’t it? Letting him sit on his princess butt while she goes out to fight makes more sense. (for her)

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

New Update.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remind me not to get on the bad side of Vinny!.

Also, Albert has a few more facets to his personality than we might have first thought. Some good (the whacamole), some potentially less so (already lusting after Vanna).

Makes me wonder if he and Parson will ever cross paths, and what would happen if they do.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-11 at 02:57 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Albert, what am I supposed to think about you? Showing compassion for another life. But you are still an selfcentered brat so...

I'm not sure what happened at the end. Lesson learned or not? Accident or not? Our little Princess Anarchy sleeps upside down? But he can't drain other Units... All very confusing, I will have to think about this for a bit.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Smart idea to have Albert stay with the soldier. Better idea that Vinny visited him. I am still getting the feeling that Albert was set up somehow.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

...isn't that the Dramatic chipmunk?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Smart idea to have Albert stay with the soldier. Better idea that Vinny visited him. I am still getting the feeling that Albert was set up somehow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there is anyone with means to do so, it would be Vanna. Whether she would be willing to do so, depends on her loyalties. She is AFAIK a contractor to FAQ, which means there could be someone from outside pulling the strings here. Aside from that, she has clearly Duncan under her charm, but we don't know, what will she use him for.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there is anyone with means to do so, it would be Vanna. Whether she would be willing to do so, depends on her loyalties. She is AFAIK a contractor to FAQ, which means there could be someone from outside pulling the strings here. Aside from that, she has clearly Duncan under her charm, but we don't know, what will she use him for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I wonder if it isn't Vanna under Duncan's sway. Duncan is happy about who this turned out. While Vanna is not a happy camper.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if our Young prince is really telling the truth.
    Maybe he was under a sort of rage... it could exist a trait like that for some combat units: they gain bonuses but don't think too much.
    Maybe it's anunusual trait for royals, and it's still unnoticed even by his mother, but it could explain the "great shot" and "it was an accident"
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm more going with the feature that perhaps Albert can't miss. Which means even though he's targetting an inanimate object, it instead went to a unit.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm more going with the feature that perhaps Albert can't miss. Which means even though he's targetting an inanimate object, it instead went to a unit.
    Except it didn't do that when he was showing off his specials when he first popped.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that confirms at least that sex, or perhaps romantic entanglement, isn't quite so completely independent of heir popping as was previously assumed. It's not necessary, but it does have a definite potential influence.

Albert's a brat, but it looks like there's some good possibilities for development here.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Eh, the dialogue implies that, according to the rules of erfworld, the target dummy was a valid target.

I think it's something deeper. Albert's Signamancy implies not just rebellion but anarchy. He's made of contradictions.

He's a Transylvitan, but without the life drain. He's a Royal who is an Anarchist. Jillian would have been a fine princess for a more martial kingdom, she was only rebellious because her personality clashed with that of her father. However, Albert is inherently contradictory, he's a Royal, which means authority, but his signamancy indicates that he should be rejecting the very authority he supposedly represents.

I'm wondering if Albert isn't Erfworld's immune system response to Parson. Parson is running roughshod over Erfworld by understanding, and exploiting, the Rules. He approaches the rules of the world from a purely mechanical standpoint, with no preconceived notions for how things are done. Remember Parson attacking the siege during the BFGK. Nobody involved even thought that strategic attacks on specific units, followed by a retreat to minimize losses, would be a good idea until they thought about it. The Rules reward sticking around to win the fight (Thus earning XP), so everybody assumed that was the correct move. Parson saw the Retreat option, not as a way to retreat from a losing battle, but as a way to minimize losses once you've taken out your real target.

Maybe Prince Albert inherently ignores any arbitrary rules he encounters. He has to respect the actual game mechanics of Erfworld, but he inherently ignores anything else that gets in the way of his true goals.

His mother told him to take part in the training exercise (That's an Order, so hey must Obey). She then set the arbitrary rule of "Target the Dummies".

Albert actually WAS trying to hit the dummies, but what he REALLY wanted to do was hit the guy who attacked him. Since "Only hit the dummies" was an arbitrary rule getting in the way of his true goals, he instinctively ignored it.

This means that Albert may eventually end up on the same playing field as Parson. He knows and respects the game mechanics of Erfworld, as he must. However, he ignores any preconceived notions about how to use or apply those mechanics. He has no concept of "Honor" or "How things should be done", only effectiveness.

Of course, he may not be as creative as Parson when it comes to finding exploits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ettin in the Playground

Whenever really, really bad luck is involved, I look for the Carny. (I'd look for Luckamancers if they were ever important.)

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Orc in the Playground

Well, Clay Dice did manage to curse Wanda so badly that later that turn she lost her entire side and ended up serving under a complete psychopath.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ettin in the Playground

People. People.

Albert killed the guy deliberately. I don't think there's any question about that, and I'm not sure how else I could read this page:

But a punch, of course, wouldn't change the truth.

"I'm a great shot," he said again, more quietly.
    If he hadn't killed the guy deliberately, he would know that, and would keep saying it; it's not like he has any reason to concede to Vinny here aside from actual guilt. His line there is straight-up admitting it -- he knows what Vinny is saying, he knows what it means for him to choose "I'm a great shot" as his reply, and if there were some other explanation he would say something else.

There isn't. He knows the truth. He murdered a guy in a fit of pique. To the extent that it was an "accident", the accident was that he lost his temper for a moment. (Given his personality, I think he might legitimately think of it that way; I think he believes what he's saying. But, I mean, he also knows deep down that that means he did it deliberately.)

Also, as evidence, consider the lines immediately before it -- for a moment there, if he weren't bound by alliance, he would seriously try to hurt Vinny. If he had the authority to do so, he would seriously consider breaking the alliance in order to hit Vinny. For the crime of... pointing out the implication of Albert's own words, and making him admit to murder. Albert has a seriously nasty temper, so there's no reason to doubt that he murdered the guy; and, again, the intensity of his reaction to Vinny's words doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Beyond that, just from a narrative standpoint, I think it would be very terrible writing to have this not be deliberate murder. This is Albert's establishing scene -- we know almost nothing else about him. Sure, he could be mind-controlled into having done it, and then mind-controlled into believing he did it (although we have no reason to believe that anyone in the hex has that kind of power), but, outside that, narratively... doing that here? When establishing a major character? And then, presumably, later on, saying "no, no, it was all a trick, the foundational event that we gave you to help you understand this character and his development was all a cheap magic trick because politics etc etc" -- that would really be awful. It'd be taking the emotional heft of this scene and turning it into a lazy tweeeest in a way that would undermine his entire character.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-05-12 at 05:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But the question is not if it was an accident. Ist if Princess Anarchy learned his lesson. I hope not. 10 Quatloos Alberts attitude will only get worse.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    There isn't. He knows the truth. He murdered a guy in a fit of pique. To the extent that it was an "accident", the accident was that he lost his temper for a moment. (Given his personality, I think he might legitimately think of it that way; I think he believes what he's saying. But, I mean, he also knows deep down that that means he did it deliberately.)
    I think so too, but maybe he just wanted to hurt him and not murder him almost outright. I think he did murder him in fit of rage, based on his casual relation to the corpse. He has no remorse over what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    It'd be taking the emotional heft of this scene and turning it into a lazy tweeeest in a way that would undermine his entire character.
    Judging from everything we know about Fate and Luckamancy and Rob, it could be either...

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Well that confirms at least that sex, or perhaps romantic entanglement, isn't quite so completely independent of heir popping as was previously assumed. It's not necessary, but it does have a definite potential influence.
    Another possibility is that he has Transylvito characteristics because his creation was primarily funded by Transylvito. Which sort of fits with the "game" logic of all "reproduction" being an economic act in Erfworld. Prince Albert is a joint venture, and Don King has majority shares.

It will be interesting to see if this is just a matter of Signamancy, or if there's some kind of hidden twist to Albert being half-Transylvito. Like him having low loyalty to Faq, or some kind of secret Loyalty/Duty to Don King.