New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flash on CW

1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Flash on CW

It's Arrow not Flash but since the two shows are crossovering like crazy, how about that winter finale tonight y'all?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now with half the calories!

2. - Top - End - #152

Wells being Barry's mother's killer just seems to obvious for them to be keeping it a secret. If that is the case I'd be pretty underwhelmed.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Wells being Barry's mother's killer just seems to obvious for them to be keeping it a secret. If that is the case I'd be pretty underwhelmed.
    Spoiler: Hypothesis
    Show
    How about Wells fighting Barry back in the past around Barry's mother, than Barry pulls Barry out of the house after Wells kills Barry's mother?

Or Wells going forward to the future at the normal rate, until The Flash disappears, when Wells as Reverse Flash starts going backwards, giving his former self the tech needed to build the future room and set things in motion, as it turns out that Reverse Flash going backwards also pulled Barry back with him, culminating in an epic battle around young Barry's mother, as both of them try to stop the whole thing happening in the first place?

4. - Top - End - #154

PirateGuy

I think if you go with a double time-loop theory,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wells has to be the later iteration. He's had knowledge of the effect his plans would have, and he fed info to RF in the showdown. (all speculation here, particularly the last one)
    "I know your powers are almost the same as the Flash" = "You don't work the same and can get out."
    "I know your cells regenerate and that's how you can withstand the damage inside there" = "feel free to beat me up" (BTW he does heal in the last scene, just very subtly, so Welles can control when it happens)
    "Detective Thawne, care to read him his rights" = "you know that name, don't hurt the guy for timeline reasons"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

So, the first episode of the year is out.

Spoiler
    Show

Are the police literally stupid? They evacuated the whole area, you have two morons standing there waiting for the Flash. Morons who don't have sweet ninja moves that make Arrow's villains plausibly dangerous, just dudes with energy guns. Shoot them with your bullet guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Are the police literally stupid? They evacuated the whole area, you have two morons standing there waiting for the Flash. Morons who don't have sweet ninja moves that make Arrow's villains plausibly dangerous, just dudes with energy guns. Shoot them with your bullet guns.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree. Flash's villains in general require a lot of mental gymnastics to ignore the fact that the majority of them should not pose any real threat to the flash, and "Captain Cold" in particular shouldn't be too much more dangerous than a thug with an assault rifle. Which is to say, someone to be wary of, and is definitely dangerous, but not something the Flash is needed to handle, and not something that should be difficult if the Flash does step in.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree. Flash's villains in general require a lot of mental gymnastics to ignore the fact that the majority of them should not pose any real threat to the flash, and "Captain Cold" in particular shouldn't be too much more dangerous than a thug with an assault rifle. Which is to say, someone to be wary of, and is definitely dangerous, but not something the Flash is needed to handle, and not something that should be difficult if the Flash does step in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eh, I buy that it's a super speshul cold gun that negates Barry's powers if Cold manages to shoot it, and that it has a much wider area of effect than a regular gun (plus it's a continuous beam, and we've seen this incarnation have trouble with inertia). But it shouldn't be that hard to punch him before he can even pull the trigger.

The fire one though...isn't the whole point of the suit that it's heat-proof, since Barry experiences hella friction?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

God, you can't simply shoot villains. You have to point a gun at them for long enough that they can either disarm you, kill you, or get away -- that's just being sporting.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Eh, I buy that it's a super speshul cold gun that negates Barry's powers if Cold manages to shoot it, and that it has a much wider area of effect than a regular gun (plus it's a continuous beam, and we've seen this incarnation have trouble with inertia). But it shouldn't be that hard to punch him before he can even pull the trigger.

The fire one though...isn't the whole point of the suit that it's heat-proof, since Barry experiences hella friction?
    Comic book logic. Every time these pesky questions come up, I just remind myself that it's comic book logic silly drama that is important, not thinking things through, and sit back and enjoy the show.
    Shouldn't superspeed be an autowin button for just about all Barry's problems? Yes, but CBL amd drama need it to be unreliable.
    Shouldn't X be a big problem for Barry? CBL &SD
    Why does Character X act like an idiot or suddenly do the opposite of something they've spent the whole episode doing? CBL & SD.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Shouldn't superspeed be an autowin button for just about all Barry's problems?
    Well, no. Barry is very clearly not at the height of his powers. He has problems with inertia. His speed isn't always "on." He can't go from zero to Mach 1 in the blink of an eye. It also seems like he can't use his powers when he's in a lot of pain (but only sometimes) and has no way of handling area of effect attacks. If his enemies actually beat him this way, it wouldn't be a problem. But they consistently win in stupid ways instead.

And the whole "moving so fast that the person next to you can't see you pacing back and forth" thing that was supposed to show how he was so in love with what's her face completely ruined all of this because it showed Barry was capable of this incredible speed that we never see again.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, no. Barry is very clearly not at the height of his powers. He has problems with inertia. His speed isn't always "on." He can't go from zero to Mach 1 in the blink of an eye. It also seems like he can't use his powers when he's in a lot of pain (but only sometimes) and has no way of handling area of effect attacks. If his enemies actually beat him this way, it wouldn't be a problem. But they consistently win in stupid ways instead.
    Comicbook logic.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

So, recently been playing the 3rd Phoenix Wright game. The Flash episode kept me thinking of the latest case I did.

The fire guy made clear to me what this guy would be like in person:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZRN2-488g0&t=4m1s (just a few seconds till the pertinent part)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I had some trouble with this too. When the villains with no super powers announce when and where they will be and the police take the time to block off the area, why is the Flash needed? A sharpshooter could easily take them down and risk fewer lives and property damage.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I had some trouble with this too. When the villains with no super powers announce when and where they will be and the police take the time to block off the area, why is the Flash needed? A sharpshooter could easily take them down and risk fewer lives and property damage.
    Comicbook logic.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dominc Purcell and Wentworth Miller. Hang on, I know this show!

Spoiler: Hey sis.
    Show
    If Sis (Did I hear 'Nadia'?) is played by this lady, I will flip out. It's not like she's in Walking Dead anymore.

Scratch that. She's already cast.

...and then there's the fact that Clock King is also T-Bag.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2015-01-22 at 04:52 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #166

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Dominc Purcell and Wentworth Miller. Hang on, I know this show!

Spoiler: Hey sis.
    Show
    If Sis (Did I hear 'Nadia'?) is played by this lady, I will flip out. It's not like she's in Walking Dead anymore.

Scratch that. She's already cast.

...and then there's the fact that Clock King is also T-Bag.
    And Peter Stormare is Count Vertigo. Arrow and Flash have been big ol' reunions of Prison Break and Spartacus (Slade, Captain Boomerang, Amanda Waller, Nyssa Al Ghul, and one debuting on Flash in a few weeks).

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Ok comic book logic and all but boy was that a dumb epsiode for all the reasons people said but also crossing the beams will defeat the bad guys, so will punching them in the head ! Seriously how many times did Flash shoot pass them trying to get them to cross the beams when he could have just punched them, or taken their guns
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Ok comic book logic and all but boy was that a dumb epsiode for all the reasons people said but also crossing the beams will defeat the bad guys, so will punching them in the head ! Seriously how many times did Flash shoot pass them trying to get them to cross the beams when he could have just punched them, or taken their guns
    Really the whole thing would be a lot easier to swallow if the guns actually gave the wielder some metahuman powers rather than just being guns. Like I could easily see captain cold having an aura of cold around him, protecting him from most mundane attacks and slowing down the Flash as he approaches, forcing Barry to find a way to deal with him that isn't just running up and grabbing the gun or punching the dude in the head. And at the same time you are introducing a plot element of equipment that effectively turn normal people into metahumans temporarily, and you have both a plausible plot for problem of the week and a long term story hook for the show, without changing too much of anything else in how things played out.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Really the whole thing would be a lot easier to swallow if the guns actually gave the wielder some metahuman powers rather than just being guns. Like I could easily see captain cold having an aura of cold around him, protecting him from most mundane attacks and slowing down the Flash as he approaches, forcing Barry to find a way to deal with him that isn't just running up and grabbing the gun or punching the dude in the head. And at the same time you are introducing a plot element of equipment that effectively turn normal people into metahumans temporarily, and you have both a plausible plot for problem of the week and a long term story hook for the show, without changing too much of anything else in how things played out.
    Pretty much this. I literally spent the whole show down thinking that the police, who have a task force dedicated to catching the flash specifically, were gonna have sharp shooters on roof tops a half mile or more away, take them all out. Or at least, try to.

Or for Cap Cold to reveal he had some kind of bombs around or something to keep the cops hands tied till after it was over or something. Seriously, was it that hard when he made the calling your out video to go "Oh, and by the way, I've planted some bombs around the city in random locations so that if anyone comes withing 3 miles of this fight, I can kill thousands of people instantly. So, Cops, keep your distance, the only one's I want to see there tonight are me, my partner, and the Flash."
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about this it makes sense in other ways to. Captain Cold is clearly different from when he was introduced. I can't see the cold, professional criminal that he initially was portrayed as broadcasting his face and where he was going to be to every policeman in town.
    Heatwave even points out he's gone from being someone who plans every detail of a crime for minimal risk and exposure to someone obsessed with the Flash. So it already looks like the guns are affecting their users minds
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-01-26 at 01:04 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

That could make a cool reveal later down the line.

"Um, yeah, not to add pressure, but, I think that tech I made is actually giving them brain tumors that are effecting there mental functions."
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #172

To be fair though, it wouldn't have done much good. Barry I.D. him instantly based on the damage and a hood and goggles would have been better than a lot of criminals work with anyway.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

I am on the fence with the second half of the season... and after being blown away with the first half that is disappointing. I do dig the idea of them finally saying the words "Speed force"
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

24. - Top - End - #174

It's a little embarrassing how B movie this show is becoming.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    It's a little embarrassing how B movie this show is becoming.
    By embarrassing you mean awesome right? The B movie thing is the only reason I started watching!
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-01-30 at 04:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

I just couldn't take anymore of it after the mid-season break. The action is fine and some of the characters are acceptable, but it's so much of the weepy melodrama.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    but it's so much of the weepy melodrama.
    Let me tell you about The CW...
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Let me tell you about The CW...
    I know, believe me I know.

I will watch one of their shows in spite of that - and the obnoxious casting - if the rest of it is enough to make me see beyond it. At some point The Flash fell beneath my tolerance threshold.

29. - Top - End - #179

PirateGuy

If you couldn't take the melodrama, good news: Barry outed his feelings for Iris, things were awkward for a bit but they're buds again. Other than that it's a bunch of running on buildings, giggling about how cool Barry's powers are, and wondering if Wells would be LESS obvious if he just got a shirt that said "totally not the bad guy."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Wells would be LESS obvious if he just got a shirt that said "totally not the bad guy."
    Wait, somebody on The CW acquires a shirt? Now we're talking about a whole new show.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome