New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK's Wrath of Righteous IC

For several weeks, excitement has been building in Kenabres - Armasse is coming! Traditionally an opportunity for scholars and priests to come together to study the lessons of history from wars past, since Aroden's death, this holy day has become more about training commoners in weaponry, choosing squires, and ordaining new priests. Over time, Armasse has grown to encompass jousting competitions, mock duels, battle reenactments, and other festival events. In Kenabres, the festival is eagerly anticipated, for it provides distractions from the horrors of being on the front line of the war. Smiles on faces normally marred by downcast eyes and furrowed brows do wonders for city morale in the weeks leading up to the event. Armasse is a citywide celebration, but the majority of the event, including its jousting matches and other entertainments, takes place at Clydwell Plaza, just west of the cathedral. All of you had gathered in good time, part of the massed crowd of soldiers and citizenry ready to hear Lord Hulrun himself speak and give his blessing upon the day...

------------------------

You awaken in pitch darkness.... Muscles bruised and heads aching sounds of moaning, clattering rocks and shifting stone echo around you in the darkness. Fuzzy phosphorescent glows faintly shimmering in the distance as your eyes struggle to adjust to the inky darkness. All of you struggle to breathe, dust filling the air and a smell of brimstone choking you slightly. Moans nearby alert you to the sound others. A soft dignified voice muttering in Elven
    Spoiler
    Show

My eyes, he has taken my eyes

While a male voice bellows in pain as he grunts "I need help. Someone, anyone you must help me"....

Spoiler
    Show

You awaken in pain in a pitch dark space....

Whatever equipment you own please adjust to what you normally carry on your person around town. Typically this will include arms and armour as its military themed festival

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: DrK's Wrath of Righteous IC

Arriving in the square you see a large man wearing full armor and carrying weapons, perhaps competing in an event, although his stern countenance is somewhat at odds with the festival mood.

He wears (in addition to armor and arms) a crimson cloak, a white surcoat emblazoned with a red sunburst and holds a full helm with a brilliant red plume under one arm.

He is tall, broad and athletic with a powerful and imposing stature. He has a rugged face criss-crossed with the scars of a seasoned campaigner and his long dark hair is tied back with a simple leather thong.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maxwell, despite his issues with the Crimson sons will be acting as their representative (as would be expected of him). He would have been looking for potential employers and perhaps competing in an event. He hasn't quite managed to find the festival spirit however and remains on his own, brooding.

Spoiler
    Show

--------------------

As his eyes open in the Darkness Maxwell rises to a crouch, remaining low but poised for action. He can't see, but doesn't want to draw attention by lighting the first light source or calling out. Instead his ears strain to make sense of the surrounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gear-wise Maxwell will be down the Javelins and backpack & contents.
    Last edited by Mark_L; 2014-03-16 at 03:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGirl

Arriving into the square you see a petite yet very striking young woman with vivid eye-catching red hair and a pleasant friendly smile looking around. A closer look will be obvious she isn't all human, little tell tale things about her giving away her angelic heritage. Her hair looking a little messy and unkempt but glinting faintly in the sunlight.

Spoiler
    Show

She's wearing functional but not particularly well maintained steel armour and strapped across her back is a well used heavy steel shield that looks like it has seen some action (or its a hand me down) and could do with a few dents taken out of the centre. It is otherwise plain. She has a mace handing from her belt next to a scimitar.

Her stature and size give the impression of a squire than a knight, only helped more by her eagerness and greenness at the formal military setting that she clearly does not look used to at all. She looks around at the events and celebrations with a grin and a twinkle in her eye when seeing something fun, sipping occasionally from a wooden tankard.

She is here alone, but will engage with anyone with a friendly smile and conversation if the chance arises. Her attitude seems very relaxed and confident, and she seems to be enjoying the festivities.

Spoiler
    Show

------------------

As her eyes open in the darkness, gazing round with her darkvision to see the carnage around her in a close radius. The swirling cloud of rubble making even her enhanced eyes have difficulty seeing very much. She makes out the bodies, some dead some still moving. Pushing herself to her feet with her hands to help get off the hard stone floor and reaching to her chest thankful as her hand finds and grips around her holy symbol, adding a little comfort to her in this moment of shock.

Not waiting for time to claim any more lives she moves to be as centralised as possible in the bodies, focusing on the symbol and calls loudly and confidently to the heavens.

Lady Everlight, shine your glory on us now!

Spoiler
    Show

Channel energy 30ft radius healing
    (1d6)[6]

[edit - forgot my trait adds 1 to the healing, so that's 7 not 6]

Spoiler
    Show

Fionnuala is down backpack and similar kit contained within.

Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-03-16 at 05:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

Arriving the square the others see a tall slender man with a rugged look, long flowing blonde hair is catch up by the wind. The armour, sword and shield look well worn but looked after. On his right hand you see a large ring and between his pecks there is a silver symbol of Imomedae.

You see no other worldly goods bar a small coin pouch.

----

As eyes open in the darkness and hear the cries of the injured.
    Flash Gets up and puts on the shield. (Striking a heroic pose with the shield)

"Hold fast and come to my voice I will aid where I can. Call to help me find you." his voice carries a note of determination and confidence.

Spoiler
    Show
    cast detect Evil

Spoiler
    Show
    I would rather attract the evil to help the others.
    Last edited by Luke GG; 2014-03-16 at 05:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Arriving in the square you see a pretty half-elven maiden with pale complexion, luscious copper-coloured hair that flows past her shoulders and cool-gray, intelligent eyes. She's reasonably tall, with a finely curved and athletic figure that could stop the average hot-blooded male dead at twenty paces, demurely clothed in finely-made yet simple travelling clothes in the red of the Hospitaliers Kenabres. Unlike most in the square, she does not appear to be armed, accesorized only with a backpack and a dispatch bag with the symbol of her order on it.

She appears to be hurrying somewhere, clutching the dispatch bag to her side, though appears to be relatively cheery even so, smiling and greeting passers by.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

-------------------------------------------

I open my eyes to a darkness and pain that's horrifyingly familiar. I rapidly summon energies for a spell that will banish the images of a desecrated hall now filling my mind and cast illumination over the immediate surroundings.

"Dancing lights!"

Four pale white orbs float out just above head height to take up equidistant positions on a 10ft-radius circle centred on me, casting normal light in an approximately 50ft square and dimly illuminating out to 90ft.
    Spoiler: Gear
    Show
    Gear-wise, Tali was pretty light on possessions anyway. Everything she owned was carried with her in her pack, which has come along for the ride.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Words and movement begin the darkness. Fionnula stands up releasing a wave of holy power that briefly illuminates the cavern in a golden pulse and the people nearby. A man in full armour clad in weapons is crouched nearby ready for action. An attractive young woman slowly rises a quartet of glowing orbs of light spreading out to illuminate the cavern. The ceiling and far walls of the vast cavern recede into the darkness. On one side the walls of cavern have collapsed downwards, rocks and dust still tumbling and sliding down the walls. Here and there an arm or leg pokes out from the wall of rubble, worryingly some are demonic nature, whilst others clearly human - though all are unmoving.

Some 60ft away to where the cavern seems to narrow a disturbing shape looms in the darkness. A vast spider the size of small building though it doesn't appear to be moving. Beyond the massive body a rift in the wall of the cavern suggests a possible way out.

As the lights from the pulse of radiance and the 4 glowing orbs spread out they also illuminate an massive tattooed blond barbarian lying nearby Maxwell and a young paladin standing posed, one foot balanced on a rock to accentuate the pose.

Spoiler: Flash
    Show

As his voice cries out you can 3 other voices shouting near you. Beside Tali is a tall thin looking man with long grey-white robes of the Riftwardens. As he raises his head you can see his elegant poised face is a mass of burns and scars - many now healed from Fionnula's healing but both eyes are milky white. His voice, clipped and well spoken rises out somewhat shakily. "I am Aravshnial. Who are you? Who is there? Are there any officers from the army here?"...

About 40ft away from Flash a woman lies propped up on a rock, one of her legs buried in rubble and currently not visible. Her short dark hair and somewhat pretty face are streaked with dust and grime from the fall down to the cavern though she is clutching her sword in one hand, green eyes darting around the growing lights in the cavern. "Followers of the crusade, thank the Gods. Could one of you help please. My leg is trapped."

Even as she calls out a large rotund man dressed in now torn and filthy robes slowly crawls onto all fours. "I am a lord of Kenabares. She is a border scout, you... a hand points at the red haired Fionulla, "Come here and heal my injuries."

Spoiler
    Show

THe cavern is ~ 120 ft long by 100ft wide. A rift at the far side (~80ft away) seems to possibly indicate a route out.

The 3 NPCs are planted into the adventure to be your future friends and companions (or enemies!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I scramble to my feet, coughing in the thick dust; the images banished back into my subconscious mind for the time being. The presence of the spider is horrifying, but as it does not seem to be an imminent problem and too big to deal with anyway, I address myself to the most immediate concerns.

I cast around for my dispatch bag and the healing kit therein, but it seems I lost it in the fall. It would have been useful, but it's not as if I've ever been any good as a medic - better suited to adjutancy and purchasing than the healing arts - the healing kit a matter of policy rather than vocation.

I hurry to the blind man in front of me and put a guiding hand on his shoulder.
    "Aravshnial. My name is Tali Summers, with the Hospitaliers Kenabres. We were caught in a subsidence, I don't know who else is here with me." I look around. There are apparently others here, uninjured enough to help. I scowl internally at the Lord of Kenabres trying to claim all the aid for himself, but my tone is placating as I call out to him. "There are enough of us to help both of you, we'll be right over."

"Hey! You in the shining armour!" I call to the paladin striking a pose. "See if you can dig her out, she needs help," I instruct, gesturing in the direction of the trapped scout.

Then I begin guiding the blind elf towards the injured noble. "This way Aravshnial," I say as we walk. "You were down here already, you didn't arrive in the fall? What's happening down here?"

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming there is no evil taint in the air. If there is Evil I will edit this post.

Flash will survey the seen and go over to the trapped woman, and help free her.

To the Lord.
    "Title means nothing, if you use it to your own ends. You will be last to get aid from me."

To the scout.
    "How came you this way?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Post roughly at the same time RC
    Last edited by Luke GG; 2014-03-16 at 10:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

During the festivities, anyone who had seen Hotep had seen him following a loud-mouthed follower of Iomedae who annoyed most everyone he ran into, and called the large savege 'Bubba.' Hotep was obviously from one of the northern barbarian tribes. He is covered with no small amount of strange markings and tattoos ... most of which don't seem to make any sense. Most folks avoided him and his companion; the messy hair and layer of dirt and dust from the trail left him a little on the wild side. He wore mostly furs for his clothes and accessories, but his weapons and armor were well taken care of. A huge blade across his back, next to a set of small throwing spears were 'gifts' for his conversion to Iomedae, as was the wooden symbol he wore under his shirt. He used a long spear as a walking stick, but left little doubt he knew how to use it as a weapon. Given his appearance and company, there was probably little chance that many folk spent much time in his company.

--------------------------------------

Hotep woke to darkness at first, blinking and rubbing his head. He wondered at the strength of the beer he must have drank the night before, to feel so bad right now. With a muffled groan, he started to rise, but then he made out voices around him, ranging from scared to authoritative. Suddenly, there was light, and he raised one huge, hairy arm to cover his watering eyes. He took a moment to gather his (limited) wits, and see what was around him ... and it didn't look like a common room in any tavern Ash had ever taken him to.

With a start, he leapt to his feet, eyes scanning the floor. He started to speak, then remembered something and thought for a moment before finally calling out,
    "Where is good Sir Ash,
    Servant of Iomedae?
    Has anyone seen him?"

He looked very worried, as he leaned on his longspear.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As the big northman looks around he can just make out in the light of the dancing orbs a twisted longsword broken off halfway down the blade. The broken sword lying some 3ft form the collapsed rock face and an armoured hand sticking out. Hotep's eyes, even in the dark could make out the white tree of House Ash on the golden signet ring of the arm... Sir Ash had fallen.

Beside the Tali the blind elf nods and holds onto her hands for support. "I was not down here, like you all I fell. The Storm King split aside the earth and I fell..." as he speaks it jars your memories and you can all remember now what happened!

Armasse officially began at noon with the blessing of the festival by Lord Hulrun himself. THe crowds were thick in Clydwell Plaza, all ready and excited about the 2 days or martial tournaments. As the aged Inquisitor took to the stage and raised a hand for silence the crowd responded, th throng of some 4000 falling silent. Just as he about to speak there was a rippling clash of thunder and a bright light erupted from the West like a second sunrise, although one tinged with red. The blaze of light sent Hulrun's shadow massive and distorted with horns and tails across the façade of the cathedral before the thunder combined with a terrifying earth tremor and buildings swayed and hundreds were tossed to the ground. The screaming began.

The Kite, the fortress containing the wardstone of Kenabres vanished in a massive plume of red fire lightning and smoke. The wind whipping across the plaza sending shutters slamming and dust scarring people's faces. A moment later a massive roar echoed across the city, a roar that sent heart into the plaza as Terendelev, the Silver Wyrm and the city's greatest guardian took flight from the crowd where she been disguised as a human. The reason became apparent as another massive creature flew out of the crackling fire and lightning. A form as nightmarish as Terendelev was inspiring. 6 times the height of a man with a skin of raw fire a sword crackling lightning and a whip of serpentine evil. Khorramzadeh the storm King of the Worldwound!

EVen as the Balor descended down from the heavens other demons tore themselves free of the rift and leapt into the plaza. Massive gouts of fire, unholy rains of hellish rain and clawed babu's and toad like Glabrezu's began to tear through the throng. Even as the Crusaders began to try and fight, the clash of the near god like beings began in the sky above. But it was over all too quickly. Even as the dragon began to summon her protective enchantments the Balor struck, whip and blade tearing deep wounds into her body and wings and the centre of the plaza vanished in a massive cloud of fire and smoke as both colossal creatures crashed into the stones.

Even as the Cathedral collapsed upon Balor and Dragon the various heroes leapt into action but it was too late! More demons arriving caused more tremors and flames that shot across the square and with a tearing sound the very earth was rent asunder as a titanic 6 legged insectile demon tore into reality. All of you could feel the earth opening underneath you, buildings, statues of great heroes and dozens of people all plunging down into blackness. Your last sight was great silver wyrm meeting your gazes with her own sapphire gazes and her last strength throwing out a net of magical force to slow you descent before a crackling flame wreathed sword shot from the smoke severing her neck, then the fall into darkness as the earth above crashed together sealing you in the cavern..."

The girl beside Flash buried her face I her hands. "The city. She is lost. THe crusade is lost. and final sad sounding "Irabeth. Gods protect you and see you safe from harm."

The well dressed man is less well disposed. A curt "Well hurry up" to Tali as she tends to Aravashnial. The elf again holding her, "Who is the loud man Tali. Who is the armoured one you speak of? Is he a knight of the City?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

A man in green hood and brown leather stalks the sidelines of the festival, having volunteered for guard duty to avoid the brightness of the celebration. A sword and dagger hand at his side, a bow on his back. His rough beard is streaked with early gray, his blue eyes showing clearly in the shade of his hood. A roughly carved stag's head over a crudely painted sword hangs from his neck.

--------------------------------------

Voices ring in his ear, bickering and ordering, each sound sending an ache through his neck. His attention focuses on the voice, bringing the memories back.

Fallen. All fallen. Failed. Couldn't stop them.

Still alive. Why am I still alive?

But I am. So I must continue.

He rises slowly, taking stock of the situation. He crosses to help dig out the wounded. "Ogier Strongbow, of the garrison. If the battle is still going, those able ought rejoin." I may die yet today. Let it not be in vain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    down pretty much the entire contents fof his paladin kit save holy symbol. Still has weapons and arrows.
    Last edited by stack; 2014-03-16 at 08:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hotep paused, leaning down to the man who had led him from his home. While the man had been eccentric and unorthodox, he was the only person Hotep had known during his time in the southern lands. He rested a hand on the man's tabbard, shaking his head slightly.
    "Return home, Sir Ash.
    Iomedae calls you now.
    Drink deep and long, friend."

As he stood and turned to the others, his foggy mind slowly dredged up memories from earlier. The festival ... the arrival of the Storm King ... the fall of Terendelev ... a last act of defiance ...

Moving over to join the others who were moving about, he nodded to them. Silent for now, he helped where he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will lend his strength to removing the debris from anyone buried. Not sure if you need a strength check or something. Str 19 here for lifting purposes

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

Flash fixes gaze with the scout after he has freed her foot.

"I am Flash Albright the 3rd. The city is not yet doomed, as yet we live there is hope."

Taking her hand he helps her to her feet and half carries her.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy roll on the scout to bolster her spirits ( and get her to like me more :) )(1d20+8)[20]

"Agree that man, we must look to help who we can and fight were we can, but remember we serve no purpose dying for nought."

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateGuy

With his customary loathing of pompous civil authority Maxwell turns to the self titled lord "You'll live."

Seeing those conscious are being dealt with he quickly checks some of those buried in rubble for signs of life, keeping one hand on his great sword should he be fortunate to find a demon to slay.

Spoiler
    Show
    Expecting not to find anyone alive, but it's usually the quiet ones that need help first.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGirl

Fionnuala moves over to the lord, seeing the scout being helped from under the stones by the warriors and Tali aliding the Riftwarden. Giving him a careful gaze over assessing the injury with well honed skill, whilst giving a friendly good natured little put down sermon as she aids him with a caring smile.

Of course, my lord. By her light i will bring you aid and comfort. But pleasure understand... Sarenrae sees no divide between rich and poor, i am her servant and do her will above all others. And I intend to spread her light to everyone hurt here. But i will make sure i am happy you are safe and well before i leave your side

And she smiles to the lord, very friendlily but letting him know it is his need she is tending to, not his rank.

Spoiler
    Show

Heal cheak on him, taking 10. (17)

If he is crawling she probably wont need to use spell heals on him for now, but will set any wounds that need immediate attention. Otherwise she will reassure diplomatically so he is less brash (seeing how he is clearly getting no fondness from the others in the pit with them).

Diplomacy cheak to calm the lord down without making a faux pas
    (1d20+10)[19]

Fionnuala when happy he isnt critical looks around to see who else is needing her aid, looking to move over to help the scout once the rubble is clear.

Spoiler
    Show

IC she has no idea who she is down here with or their abilities so unless you start healing she will dive in making checks on the scout (heal cheak take 10 = 17)

Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-03-16 at 08:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"The armoured one appears to be a paladin of Iomedae. There are a few other armed men with him, but I don't know if any are from the army. The loud one claims to be a lord of the city above," I explain quietly to the blind elf as I lead him over to where a young woman is now tending to the noble. I draw myself up, taking on the more regal bearing that had been schooled into me from a young age.

"I am Contessa Tali Summers of Arkney as was," I introduce myself to the pair, with a wry smile at the girl to reassure her that this isn't a prelude to me throwing my weight around. I address most of the remainder of my speech directly to the noble. "But let's not stand on ceremony. To be blunt, I fear you now share my situation. With the fall of The Kite and our guardian Terendelev and the Storm King here in person, Kenabres is surely lost."

"We find ourselves deep behind enemy lines, and finding our way out to safety is no sure thing. We must not be short-sighted. You commanded others to leave the scout to tend your wounds. But who is better placed than a scout to lead us out of this place? Your wounds are not serious; you will not die from them. But who else here is a scout? Who else can lead us from these caverns and guide us through enemy lines? Your command could have doomed us all, yourself included."

"No, let us not stand on titles. They are the least important thing in this cavern if we are all to survive."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check:
    (1d20+12)[31]
    To get the noble to settle down and focus on survival more than any petty indignities he feels may be suffered against his rank.

I suppose there's also a chance this man may have known Tali's parents.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2014-03-17 at 03:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Aravishnial nods his head, slow tears of blood still seeping from his ruined face. "Contessa, It is imperative we escape. As one of the men said we may be able to rejoin the battle but it seems more likely that we must escape the city and warn Queen Galifrey herself of what has befallen Kenabares." Standing more upright he speaks more quietly into Tali's ear. "You must be eyes Contessa, I do not know these people but if you aid me I can lead us out of here."

Spoiler
    Show

Aravishnial: Moves from indifferent --> friendly XP ding!

The nobleman at hearing of Tali's noble status nods and with the aid of Fionnualla rises slowly making a great deal of his aches and bruises and scrapes. He smiles and nods at the red haired cleric thanking her for her courteous treatment as he stares with barely concealed contempt at Flash and Maxwell. "I am Lord Horgus Gwern, I'm sure you will have heard of me." And indeed most of you have, he is well known as one of the richest of the lords in the city with a keen eye for business, though not one renowned for his generosity.

At Tali's words he nods. "I apologise Contessa, I was shaken from my fall and the battle above. Of course we must work together to escape." He turns to the others, "Please soldiers. I am rich and if you aid me in escaping this rocky prison I shall reward you with gold." Looking at Flash, Maxwell, Anevia, Hotep and Ogier he smiles in smug manner "I will promise each of you 2000 Mendevian crowns for my safe passage back to the city, or if that is filled with demons the nearest place of safety". Not including Tali here is clearly just an assumption that offering her money would be too crass rather than an unwillingness to pay her.

Spoiler
    Show

After Fion' and Tali's words of kindness
    Unfriendly --> Friendly XP DING

As Flash digs out the young scout she tries to stand before falling back clutching her leg. As Fionnuala arrives beside she clutches the cleric's hand in thanks. "Thank you for the healing, though I think the bones are broken." Though with a bit of aid and using the shafts of several of the broken arrows Fionnuala manages to make a splint of sorts enough to allow Aneiva to stand. "Much better, at least I am mobile. Though I may not be much use in a fight! Though..." she looks around at Ogier, Hotep, Flash and Maxwell, "there appears to be plenty of muscle here." Looking at the nobleman she also whispers to the red haired cleric "He is not as bad as he seems."

Then looking at the spide she nocks one of her few arrows, "It looks dead but maybe we should make sure?" Although she seems brave her eyes do dart towards the hulking brutes that are Maxwell and Hotep.

Spoiler
    Show

After healing and splinting
    Indifferent --> Helpful XP DING

Maxwell and Hotep as they still prowl the cliff face avoiding the odd tumbling rock or piece of statue or roof tile soon also find a handful of silvery scales that glitter and almost glow. Looking at the side plate sized scales they realise they must come from the now dead silver wyrm that has been savior of the city for at least 3 human generations. As the pair of warriors examine them they notice that 6 of them are different, each one shimmering and showing a reflection of a face. Although not that of Maxwell or Hotep. 6 scales do this, each one showing a shimmering reflection of one trapped survivor - Hotep, Maxwell, Ogier, Fionnuala, Tali and Flash...

Spoiler
    Show

Will Hotep and Maxwell share the magic scales :-)

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Flash will happily hand over the scout to be checked over by Fionnuala (smiling at them both). "you can always lean on me, if needed.."

"Let me suggest we examine are surrounding."

Flash will then stride purposefully to the spider body, drawing sword and shield.
    Last edited by Luke GG; 2014-03-17 at 03:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hotep stared at the glowing plates, wondering what they were. After a few moments thought, he realized they probably belonged to the dragon, who must surely be dead now. The images within them indicated they were special, most likely magic ... but the way they creeped him out, it was just as likely that they were haunted.

Gathering the scales, he helped Maxwell bring them over to the others.
    "Six dragon scales here.
    They hold our pictures within.
    Blessings or curses?"
    He looked hopefully at the smarter members of the group ... which was pretty much everyone BUT Hotep.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGirl

Fionnualla seeing the armoured warriors gathering around and looking like they can handle protection should anything stir focuses on what she does best. Making sure Aneiva is stable enough to stand she looks to the Riftwarden carefully examining his ruined eyes trying determine the extent of the damage and the cause, knowing its well beyond her powers to restore his sight needing a much more powerful clerics ability, and even then doubtful. Speaking softly to him as she very very gently wipes his face free of blood and grime, knowing that's all she is able to do for now but hoping this might raise his spirits just a little in this darkest of times.

My name's Fionnualla, a cleric of Sarenrae. Though your injuries are far beyond my simple skills you have my help until I can get you to better care than I can offer you here

Her voice has the distinct cheerful jack-the-lad Absolom city accent, though she is sounding sincere and concerned as she tends him. Fionnualla gives him a warm kindly smile even though it would be lost on him, before sharing it with Tali, Flash and Aneiva in turn. Then she looks round to the other survivors sharing her positive though slightly nervous attitude with them all.

That goes for each of you all too. By the Dawnflower we will get out of here and to safety

As Hotep approaches she looks to him and to what he is holding a little puzzled and intrigued.
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-03-17 at 04:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateGuy

Maxwell will study the scale containing his image for a short time, pondering its meaning before stowing it and helping Hotep carry the others to the group.

"These are surely a final boon from the Wyrm, but I am uncertain as to their meaning"

Looking towards Tali and Fion, "Perhaps our learned friends can shed some light"

Spoiler
    Show
    woo, mythic here we come!

Turning to Horgus, "My name is Maxwell Crimson, a captain of the Crimson sons. I will accept this contract for service, although I do hope your estates were not limited entirely to Kebabres.

Maxwell introduces himself to the remainder of the party, shaking or kissing hands as appropriate.

"I suggest we stick together and proceed with utmost caution until we know what lies above"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

<Tali is fine. I don't like using my title, but I thought it necessary for his lordships benefit. Of course I'll guide you,> I tell the Riftwarden quietly in elvish.

I'm pleased by Lord Horgus' new spirit of cooperation as the others gather round and I recast the Dancing Lights spell. "That's the spirit! First things first. Who do we have, and what are your skills? We'll need to know such things if we're to work effectively together. For those who didn't hear earlier, I'm Tali Summers. I'm sorry to meet you all under such circumstances. I was with the Hospitaliers, but healing's not my speciality. I have a way with people, and with magic as you can see." I gesture to the lights and then quickly clean myself up with a prestidigitation spell as a case in point. My clothes, skin (and especially my scrapes and cuts) rapidly become immaculate. "I can do that for anyone else who wants it as well."

I look around the group for the next taker. "Who else do we have?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

For the 4 clustered around the scales you can feel a link with a single scale...

Spoiler: scales
    Show

Each scale is a mini artifact CL19. Each PC may choose a single effect...
    • Alter self 3/day
    • Resist energy (Cold or Elec only 3/day)
    • Align weapon (good only) 3/day
    • levitate on column of mist 3/ Day

Even as the party begins to gel Flash advances on the spider corpse some 50ft distant. As he gets within 10ft the corpse seems to wriggle and 4 massive bloated maggots wrigge forth, each the size of a size pony...

Spoiler
    Show

Corpse of spider is 10ft from flash, 50 from everyone else

4 giant maggots wriggled forth.
    Players may begin.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGirl

Before she gets chance to answer Tali, Fionnuala sees the foul creatures burst forth giving a look of disgust at the maggots, and a nervous glance to the blinded riftwarden, crippled scout and also to Tali. Taking a step in front of this group presenting a last line of defence should these creatures have any unusual burst of speed but drawing no weapons she takes this time instead to make a plea for her goddess' aid.

Abominations... my lady will not stand for your filth! In your glorious name, Sarenrae i call upon you with open heart and soul to bless my allies with your golden light!

Spoiler
    Show

Bless cast 50ft radius (everyone)
    +1 attack. +1 save vs fear. 1 min.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

(Before attack) Ogier, bow in hand, looked out into the darkness. "We should form-up and move out. (Assuming he isn't visibly armed, disregard if false) Lord Gwern, please take my sword, yours seems to have been lost in the calamity. It is solid, though not of quality to match your station." He offers the sturdy, if unadorned, weapon hilt first.

"I prefer my bow anyhow."

Regarding the scales, he takes the one bearing his likeness tentatively. "On omen, but for good or ill? Who can tell with a dragon? Still, more like a boon than a curse, I will take it to remember." Another hero fallen, leaving us behind.

Sighting the maggots, an arrow springs to Ogier's hand, leaping toward the vile mass, another soon following.
    Spoiler
    Show
    rapid shot, 5' step if needed for a clear line
    att (1d20+3)[4]
    damage (1d8)[4]

att (1d20+3)[22]
    damage (1d8)[6]

can't wait for a compound bow.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I withdraw slightly from the spider, leading Aravishnial with me.

<There are enemies near! Hold my shoulder,> I tell the blind man. <Enormous maggots crawled from the corpse of a gigantic spider 50ft to the down the passage. They were disturbed by the paladin of Iomedae. We should be able to take them, but be prepared to follow my movements. There are nine of us, three warriors, one archer, a cleric, an injured scout and Lord Horgus as well as ourselves. This cavern is about one-twenty feet by one hundred with an exit on the far side. The maggots stand between us and our goal.> I fire off a rapid description in elvish to keep him appraised.

<I'm going to cast a spell now, do not be alarmed by my motions.>

I slip a hand into my pocket, relieved to find my acid flask is unbroken. Using it as a focus, I make several arcane gestures with my free hand before unleashing the energies with the trigger word: "Acid Splash!"

Spoiler
    Show

Spell: Acid Splash, infinite uses, targeting nearest unengaged maggot.
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+2)[13]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[3] (+1 draconic heritage, +1 acid flask focus)
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2014-03-18 at 02:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateGuy

Maxwell moves forward drawing his great sword.

"Look lively ladies, let's see what you've got"

Spoiler
    Show
    50ft is just a little too far in heavy armor! Maxwell will fade to one side to try to set up possible flank with flash when I arrive next turn...and keeping out of the way of any more mobile characters who may charge...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hotep took one of the scales reverently, nodding to the assessment of the others. For now, he placed it in his pack. When others introduced themselves, he tapped his chest.
    "Hotep of the North.
    I fight well with sword and spears.
    I throw sharp sticks, too."

Upon the announcement of creatures approaching, he turned and jogged forward with the others. One hand pulled free a small hunting spear, which he released when he was halfway to the maggots.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Advance 25' forward (move action) and draw javelin (free action). Throw javelin at the nearest unengaged maggot (standard)
    Attack: (1d20+3)[9]; Damage: (1d6+4)[9]

EDIT: WOOSH!

Status - HPs: 21/12; AC: 16; F: +4 / R: +2 / W: +2; Rage 7/7
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-03-18 at 12:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

RogueGuy

"Take the wounded back to a save place. I will hold it off."

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge spider
    (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage (d8+2)[6]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The 4 massive maggots wriggling and covered in filth and spider gore hungrily point their toothed maws at the party. An arrow thuds into one of them before a second later a tiny ray of acid splats into it as well, the combination causing it to pop with a vile splattering sound.

With a clatter a spear slides along the floor beside the spider's body as Maxwell moves to flank the disgusting beasts. Flash merely charging straight in but missing with a great swing of his sword that clangs off the ground. A golden glow spreads from Fion' enveloping the party and filling them bold thoughts.

At the back Aveni looks at her quiver with a mere 4 arrows in it, "Can you spare a few arrows? With my leg I cannot help more than that..." she calls out to Ogier.

Lord Gwern stands stock still, sword clutched in his hands as he remains beside Aravishnial. The elf clutching Tali's arm a quiet"I still have some magics left to me. If you have need of healing or if the battle goes poorly I may be able to assist."

Down by the spider the 3 remaining maggots all swarm atop the paladin of Iomedae, two lunging forward with mandibles, one merely vomiting up its stomach onto Flash.

Spoiler
    Show

Bite (1d20+1)[3] dam (1d6+1)[2]
    Bite (1d20+1)[15] dam (1d6+1)[4]
    Regurgitate - DC 13 Fort or sickened for 1 minute