New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Favorite underrated fantasy films

I just saw a pretty awesome fantasy movie. Mythica: A Quest for heroes, with Kevin Sorbo. Reminded me of some of the great fantasy movies I saw when I was younger, like LadyHawke. It's on ConTV.com, which is like free Netflix for Geeks, lol. I love it.

What are some of your favorite fantasy films that aren't the Lord of the Rings?

BTW, if anyone wants, the movie is here - http://on.contv.com/WatchMythica

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

smile Re: Favorite underrated fantasy films

I still think Willow was one of the most underrated fantasy movies out there

Also still like both Krull and Hawk the Slayer, though they are a bit dated now I guess...

That said, I would like to nominate the 2000 release of Dungeons and Dragons for some kind of "horrendous, misguided attempt at movie" prize.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite underrated fantasy films

I have a bit of a soft spot for Book of Vile Darkness, actually. Partly because of the brilliant dark atmosphere the soundtrack manages to infuse even some of the goofier scenes, partly because of the incredibly good creepy child scene, partly just because it was far less horrible than I'd anticipated it'd be.

As for really underrated fantasy films, Nightwatch gets the vote from me. Definitely one of the most stylish and innovative urban fantasy/horror films I know of.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll have to say "The Thief of Bagdad" from 1940, it was such an amazingly epic movie for the time and I'd dare say that some of the practical effects hold up pretty well even for today's standards. I watched it when I was very young and re-watched it when it sometimes was on television, never changed my mind about it. I just love that movie.

Though I have the impression that it's not a movie that is talked about that much today, it has been met with a ton of critical acclaim, so I guess it's not really underrated... If so, Krull can have my vote as well.
    Last edited by Kalmageddon; 2015-04-01 at 09:38 AM.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have an irrational love for The Company of Wolves. The transformation effects are horrible and lame, and worse, gratuitous, but just about everything else about the movie I find entrancing. Beautiful music, lovely sets, thoughtful script, and more symbolism than you'd find at a tarot card convention. Even the wolves just look sooo cuddly...
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by arcane_asp View Post
    That said, I would like to nominate the 2000 release of Dungeons and Dragons for some kind of "horrendous, misguided attempt at movie" prize.
    Yeah...for sure. I think all of the D&D movies are pretty lackluster, especially for their budgets, which is why I was impressed by what these guys did with Mythica.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eonas View Post

As for really underrated fantasy films, Nightwatch gets the vote from me. Definitely one of the most stylish and innovative urban fantasy/horror films I know of.
    Nightwatch is one of my absolute favorites. I had the fortune of being introduced to Timur Bekmambetov, a hero of mine, a few years ago at AFM. Brilliant Russian director.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Moving outside the "swords and sorcery" subset of fantasy, this is an unconventional example, but The Mummy was one of my favorites - having an interesting "Fighter Mage Thief" group dynamic with Rick, Evy and Jon.

Another of my favorites was Push, which had a fairly well fleshed-out psionics system that belonged in a smarter movie. Also, Chris Evans and Djimon Honsou (Korath in Guardians of the Galaxy) had a great rivalry going.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Being an unashamed Ray Harryhausen fan I'm going for the 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad'
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071569/?ref_=nv_sr_5

The best of three Sinbad movies and has the wonderful battle with the statue of Kali armed with six swords !
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-04-06 at 11:31 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Moving outside the "swords and sorcery" subset of fantasy, this is an unconventional example, but The Mummy was one of my favorites - having an interesting "Fighter Mage Thief" group dynamic with Rick, Evy and Jon.
    I actually think the Mummy is the best "party-adventure" movie made.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm not surprised to see Krull made the list, but it was my immediate first choice. I often end up introducing it to people, so it definitely slides into "cult classic" status.

Aside from that... I may be one of the only people who actually enjoyed the Dungeon Siege movie "In the name of the king". It was campy, predictable, and made of cliche, but it was fun despite that and still beat the socks off most sci-fi channel original movies.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

smile Re: Favorite underrated fantasy films

willow for me, a real favourite.

I greatly enjoyed !egend too, but lady hawke was just brilliant.

Definitely enjoyed krull. "Lord" hawk the slayer, eh, I really liked it as a very young kid. I enjoyed a lot less as an adult, making me cringe in several scenes, and each time he was called "lord hawk", whereas the rest of the movies on my list I still very much enjoy.

And of course there's the ones everyone remembers like Laberynth and such, very nice.

Now I think I'm off to check out mythic, sounds interesting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I saw the thread title and went Krull!

Legend must be added as well (50% on Rotten Tomatoes, really!? ). For the beautiful cinematography and music if nothing else. Plus it remains in my mind my introduction to fantasy.

Kull the Conqueror would make the list too, a second Conan movie with Kevin Sorbo as Conan*. I tend to like Kevin Sorbo. And it was more enjoyable than the Conan remake and better than Conan the Destroyer or Red Sonja.

*Technically Proto-Conan would be more accurate as the original Conan story was a re-writing of a Kull story which didn't quite fit Kull.

And got to say I loved the original Clash of the Titans.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Aside from that... I may be one of the only people who actually enjoyed the Dungeon Siege movie "In the name of the king". It was campy, predictable, and made of cliche, but it was fun despite that and still beat the socks off most sci-fi channel original movies.
    Please don't give Uwe Boll money
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonheart (not the sequel) The Black Cauldron (the Disney animated movie) and Dungeons and Dragons (2000) (I know it sucks, but I can't help but say there are big places where this movie simply works.)

Agreed. Uwe Boll is one of the worst directors of modern times, and we live in a time where Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer can churn out up to two craptacular movies a year.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

16. - Top - End - #16

Fire and Ice, the animated movie. Maybe not Ralph Bakshi's best effort, but still entertaining. Dark Wolf is awesome.

The Last Unicorn. That movie still gets me teary iced at the end. Bonus points for Christopher Lee playing the head villain.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Can we consider Dragonslayer, an underrated fantasy film?
    Because it marked my youth.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Dragonheart (not the sequel) The Black Cauldron (the Disney animated movie) and Dungeons and Dragons (2000) (I know it sucks, but I can't help but say there are big places where this movie simply works.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Fire and Ice, the animated movie. Maybe not Ralph Bakshi's best effort, but still entertaining. Dark Wolf is awesome.

The Last Unicorn. That movie still gets me teary iced at the end. Bonus points for Christopher Lee playing the head villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Can we consider Dragonslayer, an underrated fantasy film?
    Because it marked my youth.
    The only one I didn't love is the Dungeons and Dragons movie (I left complaining that gold and red dragons are immune to fire), well ok Fire and Ice didn't cross the love threshold but was good.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

19. - Top - End - #19

It was packaged as a 2 for 1 with a movie I was buying anyway and couldn't find packaged by itself. I'm guessing they'd had too much trouble selling it and decided to bribe people to take it, because the two BDs for one deal was cheaper than the bargain DVDs on the shelf.

By the point they hit that level, I don't think the sales statistics even matter anymore, Uwe Boll got his money loooong in advance, anyway. (I'm pretty sure BD/DVD sales statistics are purely wholesale figures, anyway.)
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    It was packaged as a 2 for 1 with a movie I was buying anyway and couldn't find packaged by itself. I'm guessing they'd had too much trouble selling it and decided to bribe people to take it, because the two BDs for one deal was cheaper than the bargain DVDs on the shelf.

By the point they hit that level, I don't think the sales statistics even matter anymore, Uwe Boll got his money loooong in advance, anyway. (I'm pretty sure BD/DVD sales statistics are purely wholesale figures, anyway.)
    Yeah but... Uwe Boll tho.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

There are a lot of good ones listed already, but I’m going deep into the vault and pulling out one I doubt anyone has seen.

That movies is called the warrior and the sorceress, an Argentinean affair from 1984. It stars a drunk David Carradine (seriously I swear he’s sloshed through this whole movie) as a mercenary warrior named Kain. He wonders into a desert town that’s controlled by two warring factions battling over the only well in town. It’s basically Yojimbo or A fist full of dollars.

Now I like this move, I like it a lot, David Carradine is always entertaining, even when he’s drunk or not giving a crap. However this film is not exactly for kids, the female lead is topless through the entirety of the film, in fact I think all the female characters are topless. The show is about as low budget as you can get, with little in the way of special effects although since it’s from 1984, what little there is, is all practical. Running time is just shy of an hour and a half. One of the most interesting things is that this movie is produced by Roger Corman, who isn’t exactly a small name.

Apparently according to wikipedia its considered a cult classic. If you’re a fan of Roger Corman’s films, or David Carradine, or you’re just in the mood for a lot of violence (although there's not alot of gore) and nudity, look into it. heck if you're into sword and sorcery, then look into it anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

It doesn't sound like a fantasy film from what you're describing. Where's the fantastical element coming in?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't sound like a fantasy film from what you're describing. Where's the fantastical element coming in?
    It’s got swords and a couple of monsters, some very vague magic. It’s supposed to take place on another world but you’d never know that. Really the fantasy aspects are a bit downplayed but they are there. I'm trying to not spoil too much of the film's details.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2015-04-08 at 04:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

My favorite Underrated Fantasy Films, which i mention under here :

1. Wizards (1977)
    2. Jabberwockey (1977)
    3. The Hobbit (1977)
    4. The Lord Of The Rings (1978)
    5. Dragonslayer (1981)

That's it....................

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Underrated?

Beastmaster.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think sadly most fantasy movies are pretty bad, and actually overrated. Can't really think of any I would consider underrated, except perhaps the most recend adaptation of Chinese Ghost Story. But it seems to me that most of the problems people have with it is that it's different than the more well known earlier one.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Out of all these, I can say I really liked Krull and Willow. I've seen a few others, but don't think they were underrated (though Wizards has one of my favorite scenes of any movie, ever).

I do want to watch the ones I haven't seen.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you liked Mythica, Arrowstorm (the production company) has a Christmas movie called the Christmas Dragon that is set in the same world, and Mythica 2 is currently on Kickstarter to raise money for special effects. They also have a number of unrelated fantasy and sci-fi movies, although I think Mythica is probably their best so far. A friend's daughter is one of the makeup people, and they do almost all of the filming here in Utah.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arcane_asp View Post
    I still think Willow was one of the most underrated fantasy movies out there

Also still like both Krull and Hawk the Slayer, though they are a bit dated now I guess...

Willow is, indeed, good.
    D&D is bearable, only on saturday night, if you're with friends and beers.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Yor: The Hunter From the Future.

What other movie has a scene where the main character stands on the edge of a massive canyon, shoots a giant bat with a horribly under drawn shot from a longbow, then jumps on the bat, (which has gone into instant rigor-mortis,) and uses it as a hang-glider to cross said canyon?

What other movie ties a He-Man action figure to a yo-yo string, pushes it across a cardboard chasm, then 'seamlessly' intertwines said shot within the edit of humans in the real set acting out the most dispassionate man v. robot fight in the history of cinema?

What other title has an entire cast, men and women, dressed in loin cloths and skirts? With said cast doing acrobatics and fighting all movie long? And not a single actor or actress has deemed to wear underwear?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist