New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

A 070 N/A.

By expending a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot, the wielder can cast a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaff's list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's class spell list.
    A spell does not have a level without an associated list. As an example, Control Water is level 6 for a Sorcerer or Wizard, but level 4 for a Cleric or Druid, and "—" (unavailable) for a Bard or Paladin. A Beguiler without the spell on their class list does not have a level associated with that spell, and thus the necessary spell slot is undefined and thus unavailable. The Beguiler cannot activate the runestaff with or without Use Magic Device.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 070 N/A.

A spell does not have a level without an associated list. As an example, Control Water is level 6 for a Sorcerer or Wizard, but level 4 for a Cleric or Druid, and "—" (unavailable) for a Bard or Paladin. A Beguiler without the spell on their class list does not have a level associated with that spell, and thus the necessary spell slot is undefined and thus unavailable. The Beguiler cannot activate the runestaff with or without Use Magic Device.
    I am quite sure this is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB, use magic device
    Use a Wand: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.
    Using use magic device lets you act as if the spell is on your class list and thus lets you activate the runestaff. The level for the required spell slots is determined by the class you are emulating.

Also every beguiler guide/handbook I have ever seen mentiones runestaffs as important tools to expand your access to different spells, and I would be very suprised if all of them are wrong.
    Last edited by lonewolf1210; 2015-06-15 at 05:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 070
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1210 View Post
    Using use magic device lets you act as if the spell is on your class list and thus lets you activate the runestaff. The level for the required spell slots is determined by the class you are emulating.
    You've somehow conflated two different Use Magic Device applications, and that's not how the skill works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Magic Device
    You must consciously choose which requirement to emulate. That is, you must know what you are trying to emulate when you make a Use Magic Device check for that purpose.
    Use a Wand simulates having the contained spell on your class list. It does not let you emulate some particular class's spell list. (If you do not otherwise have a spell list, it lets you function as if you had a spell list containing just that one spell.) Spell level is not a factor in Use a Wand, because that is determined by the item creator. Emulate a Class Feature is the only UMD application which would let you emulate having a particular spell list, and that doesn't change anything involved in Use a Wand. Also, as previously mentioned, a runestaff is not a regular staff, and thus Use a Wand does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1210
    Also every beguiler guide/handbook I have ever seen mentiones runestaffs as important tools to expand your access to different spells, and I would be very suprised if all of them are wrong.
    Popularity of misinformation does not change the actual RAW. If these various guides/handbooks have cited rules which validate their advice, I would appreciate you posting them here. I'm always happy to gain a better understanding of the D&D rules.

4. - Top - End - #154

AssassinGuy

You've somehow conflated two different Use Magic Device applications, and that's not how the skill works. Use a Wand simulates having the contained spell on your class list. It does not let you emulate some particular class's spell list. (If you do not otherwise have a spell list, it lets you function as if you had a spell list containing just that one spell.)
    I have to revise my previous statement and agree with you up to this point.

Spell level is not a factor in Use a Wand, because that is determined by the item creator.
    Just like with a wand, the creator of a runestuff also determines the spell-level of the spells within. Among other things, they determine the creation costs of the runestaff.

Also, as previously mentioned, a runestaff is not a regular staff, and thus Use a Wand does not work.
    The last sentence of my quote above is that this use of the skill is valid for all spelltrigger items, not just wands and staffs. Runestaffs clearly fall into that category.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The last sentence of my quote above is that this use of the skill is valid for all spelltrigger items, not just wands and staffs. Runestaffs clearly fall into that category.
    Can you cite a source for that claim? I don't see anything stating that runestaffs are spell trigger items in either Magic Item Compendium or its errata file.

6. - Top - End - #156

AssassinGuy

Can you cite a source for that claim? I don't see anything stating that runestaffs are spell trigger items in either Magic Item Compendium or its errata file.
    It is not stated explicitly, but can be derived through the process of elimination. Check MIC page 219-220 for all possible ways to activate magical items. Only the spell trigger activation fits with how runestaffs work.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 057
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Are such auras detectable by Detect Magic? I thought they were detectable by the various Detect Alignment spells.
    Nope; I got that one wrong, at least in the examples I used. Some auras are detectable (examples: Black Flame Zealot's Zealous Heart is Supernatural, as is Radiant Servant of Pelor's Aura of Warding), but most auras are Extraordinary and thus not detectable via Detect Magic. I'll revise my answer to include correct examples.

It is not stated explicitly, but can be derived through the process of elimination. Check MIC page 219-220 for all possible ways to activate magical items. Only the spell trigger activation fits with how runestaffs work.
    I'm afraid the Magic Item Compendium text doesn't agree with you.
    Every magic item in this book has an Activation entry in its description that describes the type of action necessary (if any) to activate the item and the means of activation.
    Following the action type is a parenthetical descriptor that further describes the means of activation; these are described below.
    [Action Type] (spell trigger): Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. ...
    The book states quite clearly when an item uses spell trigger activation. Each runestaff has the following entry instead:
    Activation: As spell used
    No runestaff item specifies "(spell trigger)". Instead, they are activated as the spell used.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 67 - Clarification Request

Ok, so AoOs use your regular bonus, but what about opposed attack rolls (as in the disarm check)? They aren't AoOs. Do they keep the -5 penalty or not? I'm pretty sure they don't, but couldn't really find any rules determining this.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q/A 070

Just to be clear, I'm also from that thread, and this issue has been of some interest to me in the past as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    No runestaff item specifies "(spell trigger)". Instead, they are activated as the spell used.
    Curmudgeon, I wanted to know your opinion on the following text, which may differ from MIC, but should probably be considered in parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by WotC Product Spotlight - Preview 2 - The Runestaff
    When an arcane spellcaster is attuned to a runestaff, she can substitute any of the spells stored in the runestaff for a prepared spell or spell slot of equal or greater level. She must have the spell on her spell list and be of sufficient level to cast it, though she need not know it or have it in her spellbook. If she has some of the spells on her spell list, but not others, she can only substitute spells that are on her spell list. Most spells stored in runestaffs can be used up to three times per day, unless otherwise noted in the item's description. Spells cast from a runestaff act in all ways as if the wielder had cast them normally, including casting time, attacks of opportunity, saving throw DCs, caster level, and other effects.
    When I read this text, it leads me to be of the opinion that a runestaff is use-activated, requiring the consumption of a spell slot of higher level than the substituting spell as its activation cost. To activate any spell-substituting function of the runestaff, a caster must either have the substituting spell on one of their spell lists, or make the UMD check to emulate that class feature, and they must expend a spell slot of higher level as part of the use-activation. Any spell slot of higher level will do, (for instance, even a divine one,) for nowhere is it specified that the user must have been able to cast the spell from the expended spell slot had the user known the substituting spell.

I suppose my last sentence turns on my interpretation of the phrase, "and be of sufficient level to cast it". But I think the Use Magic Device skill does in fact provide what is necessary:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, UMD
    This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class. It just lets you activate items as if you had that class feature.
    The runestaff, when activated, allows the user to the cast the substituting spell, which is a process that resolves "in all ways as if the wielder had cast [it] normally".

Can you find a weakness in this interpretation?
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    To activate any spell-substituting function of the runestaff, a caster must either have the substituting spell on one of their spell lists, or make the UMD check to emulate that class feature, and they must expend a spell slot of higher level as part of the use-activation. Any spell slot of higher level will do, (for instance, even a divine one,) for nowhere is it specified that the user must have been able to cast the spell from the expended spell slot had the user known the substituting spell.
    A preview of a rulebook is an advertisement, and superseded by the actual RAW. But your "any spell slot" argument is unfounded. You can emulate having a second spell list, but runestaff activation is from a single list, as specified in the activation rule.
    By expending a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot, the wielder can cast a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaffs list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's class spell list.
    You can't jump across multiple lists, because "of the same level or lower" is a different computation depending on the list. A character with both Wizard and Cleric spell lists will have Control Water at two different values (6th level and 4th level). So the Beguiler emulating a second spell list has no filled spell slot available for making the "of the same level or lower" computation on that emulated (empty of spell slots) list.

I'm afraid this has gone well past the "simple" answer stage. If you want to address this issue further, please do so in another thread.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2015-06-15 at 02:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Q71If you take shape soulmeld for a meld that allows a save, is the DC 10+e+wis or 10+e+con?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q 72. Is there any way to obtain the benefits of an Item Familiar's "Invest Life" after 6th level?

From the SRD:
    A character of 6th level or lower may invest a portion of his life force into his item familiar, receiving bonus XP in return. These XP are actually part of the item, however, so if the item is lost or destroyed, the character loses not only the bonus but a quantity of his existing XP as well.

When a character chooses to invest his life energy into his item familiar, his current XP total and all future XP awards increase by 10%. However, if the character loses the item, he loses all bonus XP gained, plus an additional 200 XP per character level.
    It seems clear by RAW that you need to be level 3-6 to take this option.

I have an 10th level character I am in the process of leveling up to 11th. I only recently learned about this feat. This is exactly the sort of situation the retraining rules are meant to cover: a case where you learned about a character development option too late to use it. I have a feat (Alacritous Cogitation), gained at 6th level, which I'd be willing to retrain to take the Item Familiar feat.

The way I see it, that still doesn't change matters: even if the retraining rules gave me the feat at 6th level, I'd still be unable to do the Invest Life at 11th.

Am I missing any other avenues?

Q72a: The non-RAW question: does anybody know what motivation the writers had to limit this option to 6th level or lower? Everything else is wide open to higher level characters.

EDIT: Got ninja'd, updated Q number to 72.
    Last edited by FrancisBean; 2015-06-15 at 10:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q 73 Are there any official Alternate Class Features for the Beguiler?

Q 74 (This is, admittedly, inspired by Q70, so if this is inappropriate, I'm perfectly open to a response that I should take it to another thread rather than expect an answer) Could a caster use UMD to Emulate a Class Feature to use the Warmage's Eclectic Learning to add a spell to their class list for the purposes of using a magic item (presuming the spell in question is of a spell level lower than their highest available spell slot)?
    (I don't believe Eclectic Learning specifies that the spell is added 'to the Warmage's spell list' outside of flavor text or specific examples, so it could apply to any class's spell list.)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 72

Do you have 3550 gold pieces, access to something with permanent level drain, and access to someone who can cast Restoration with a caster level of at least 15th (who you can convince to memorize 5 Restoration spells in one day)?

Get yourself Level Drained down to sixth level (intentionally fail the saving throws), spend 2 weeks and 50 gp retraining that feat, and then spend 700 gp (600 gp to cast the spell, 100 gp of diamond dust -- needs to be 15th caster level to allow for the 2 weeks of training between the drain and the restorations) per casting to get back the 5 drained levels. You could also replace the 5 Restorations with a single Greater Restoration, saving you 90gp, but that puts the cost of a single spell over 3000 gp, which by the SRD means it is generally unavailable.)

(Your DM might go nice on you, and just require you to go down to level 5 and back, letting you select a different feat for your 6th level slot on the way. That'll cost you less than 2500 gp (280 gp per casting, plus 100 gp diamond dust each) -- and the caster has a week to cast Restoration all 6 times.)

(Admittedly, a PC who can cast Restoration will make these all cheaper, if they are of high enough caster level.)
    Last edited by marphod; 2015-06-16 at 01:10 AM. Reason: used wrong markup

15. - Top - End - #165

Q 75

The Magic Item Compendium includes the weapon property "Lucky". A weapon with this property allows one reroll per day when an attack roll misses. What if it's placed on ammunition: Does it work separately for each piece?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

A 74

The Warmage does not have a class feature called eclectic learning. If however you mean advanced learning the answer is no. Emulate Class Feature explicitly does not let you use the class feature itself. It only lets you count as using the class feature if that usage is required for the magic item to be activated. If an item requires a certain spell UMDing advanced learning will not help you. If instead an item required you to use advanced learning (i.e. getting another spell during level up) to activate you could emulate that usage.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-06-16 at 01:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

A 074 clarification

Just a nitpick to the above answer: the Warmage does indeed have an (alternative) class feature called Eclectic Learning (PHB2, p.67).

The rest of this answer is accurate, as far as I can tell.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

A 73

No, there are not.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Firbolg in the Playground

A71: That depends on the particular soulmeld. Each soulmeld has a class listed, which will set the DC calculation method. Should a soulmeld list more than one class with different methods, please ask your DM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoI, pg 53
    Classes: This line indicates which meldshaping classes can shape the soulmeld.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoI, pg 53
    Only a few soulmelds allow saving throws. The saving throw DC for a soulmeld equals 10 + the essentia invested into the soulmeld + the meldshaper’s relevant ability score modifier (Wisdom for incarnates or Constitution for soulborns and totemists).
    A 75: Ask your DM. Sorry, but the RAW does not specify what happens if this property is added to ammunition. Individual DMs may rule each arrow allows you to reroll a single attack, while others may rule any lucky arrows give you a 1/day ability and, once used w/ one arrow, it's used with all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 073 additional info

There's a fairly comprehensive list of ACFs here.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 76

In Unearthed Arcana, under "Monk Variant: Fighting Styles" on Page 52, it states:

A monk can abandon her fighting style by selecting a different bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level; however, if she does so, she loses the bonus on skill checks gained at 1st level and never gains the bonus ability of the fighting style (even if she meets the prerequisites).
    My question: if I abandon the fighting style at level 2 by taking a different feat, can I still take the fighting style's level 6 feat, or must I choose from the options available for the base monk class?

Example: I build a level 1 monk of the "Invisible Eye" fighting style. At level 1, I take Combat Reflexes as my bonus feat. At level 2, I take Monastic Training (Eberron Campaign Setting, pg. 38), instead of Lightning Reflexes (the listed Invisible Eye 2nd level feat). In doing so, I lose my bonus on Listen, and disqualify myself from the Invisible Eye bonus ability. When I reach level 6, can I still take Bind-Fight? Or do I have to choose between Improved Trip and Improved Disarm, the base monk options?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 076 No.

"Abandoned" means you no longer have the fighting style options available to you.
    abandon
    -verb (used with object)

1. to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.

2. to give up; discontinue; withdraw from: to abandon a research project; to abandon hopes for a stage career.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q 077

Does the out-of-turn action in Eternal Blade's "Island in Time" ability take away from a character's total actions in a round? From ToB, p 111:
    Using this ability does not change your initiative count, and you can use all your actions as normal. For example, if your intiative count is 15, you could act normally, use this ability to act again on initiative count 14, then act normally on the following round on initiative count 15.
    Emphasis mine.

So, does this effectively grant an extra turn once per encounter outside of your normal turn for that round? Or does it just allow you to split up your actions amongst your regular turn, and the point when you use this ability?
    Last edited by Shiloh; 2015-06-16 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    This is a were-bear who can get so angry he turns into a bear while he's a bear.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 077

If you have your Blade Guide available, you essentially get an extra turn once in an encounter. The rationale for Island in Time is that the Blade Guide is directing your actions, essentially creating a Blade Guide turn between your own turns. There is no modification to the Eternal Blade's actions otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q.078
    The feat Terrifying Strike (Drow of the Underdark, p. 54) specifically "doesn't stack with other fear effects". Does it mean pre-existing fear effects are not worsened but that a posterior fear effect would stack with it ?
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 078

Yes, that's correct. Terrifying Strike cannot make the target more fearful, but it doesn't have any control over subsequently-supplied fear effects other than Terrifying Strike. The 1-round duration doesn't allow much time for fear escalation, though.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q 079

How do the feats Shadow Blade or Desert Dodge (or similar) interact with Aptitude Weapons?

Shadow Blade and Desert Dodge grant a bonus when using a weapon from a short list. Aptitude Weapons let you use feats tied to a particular weapon when using a different weapon. Does the plurality of weapons listed for the feats mean that you cannot apply them to an aptitude weapon; that it would only works for feats that apply to a single weapon type? How about the Swordsage's first level Discipline Focus, which grants 'the benefits of the Weapon Focus feat' with all of a style's associated weapons?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

A 79

None of those apply to a "particular type of weapon" they are keyed to groups of weapons, so they do not work with the aptitude WSA.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 80

If an Ex ability gives a creature "a bonus on damage rolls against" something, but does not specify whether it means weapon damage, energy damage, or anything else of the sort, are there any rules that limit what kinds of damaging effects this bonus can be applied to, or does it apply to any damage roll the creature makes?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

A 80:

If it says it applies to all damage rolls, it applies to all damage rolls, including weapons, spells, breath weapons, or whatever else the creature might have. I presume this is about Knowledge Devotion?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics