New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

frown Moon Called will return in a month...

MC forgot to let her mom know she was going to the mall with her friends after school today...and has been grounded for a month as a result. She asked me to let y'all know this, please keep my imouto in your thoughts and prayers.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

2. - Top - End - #2
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Moon Called will return in a month...

For a MONTH?

Man! That's bad....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Dang. Well, She'll be in my thoughts this weekend. Give her my regards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently when she got home, her mom was frantically out looking for her...

Not sure if she'll be able to get on from school this time. Hopefully after her mom simmers down the sentence will be reduced. I can only pray...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holy Fudge! That's a long time! I could hardly handle being gone for three days!
    I hope MC's mom shortens or lifts the sentence.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

MC's poor mental health...*pets a MC plushie*

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Em Blackleaf View Post
    Holy Fudge! That's a long time! I could hardly handle being gone for three days!
    Physics couldn't keep you occupied?
    We will never speak of this again.
    And, wow. That is a long time. A whole month seems a lot longer when you're deprived of something special. Seriously, that's crazy. I hope she can cope and somehow shorten the sentence. Come back soon!

8. - Top - End - #8

I think Mooncalled may need a "See You Later" thread stickied.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mean offense, and it's nice to know that someone is gone, and I do feel bad that they are... but...
    It was her fault that she was grounded... why are we holding her in our thoughts and other board objectionable content that is presented that clearly marks a form of respect one would give someone that is either ill, dying, or need of help that is outside of their will or control?

It's a bad thing that she is gone, but, I just can't provide more than that in thought.

Sorry. =/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    Not to mean offense, and it's nice to know that someone is gone, and I do feel bad that they are... but...
    It was her fault that she was grounded... why are we holding her in our thoughts and other board objectionable content that is presented that clearly marks a form of respect one would give someone that is either ill, dying, or need of help that is outside of their will or control?

It's a bad thing that she is gone, but, I just can't provide more than that in thought.

Sorry. =/
    Ditto.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry. =/
    Double ditto.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry. =/
    Mainly because the punishment seems out of proportion. MC will be unable to get on for a month, because she messed up on one occasion. While it may be not be appropriate to hold her in the same position as people who are ill/dying/in need of help, she can still be missed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I take it that she either uses someone elses computer, or she cn't use one at her house whenshe's grounded, right? I'd have to agree with Keris Rain about it being a ridiculous punishment considering the circumstances (incidentally, how old is Moon Called? I would assume that her forgetting to mention something like that would only bea problem if she was less then 13 years old).
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-01-17 at 05:44 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Her exact words to me were "cut off from outside contact for a month". Which means (I presume) both computer useage at home, and contact with her RL friends as well...

Also, it's been a really crappy week for her as well, seeing as she had a terrible cold, missed two days of school at the end of the semester because of it, and had to have her cat put down yesterday.

And on top of that the punishment being far out of proportion to the crime...

Maybe I'm too soft-hearted or something...but when one of my friends is feeling bad, I feel absolutely terrible. So when my imouto has this kind of week, well, I want her to have all the help she can get.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2008-01-17 at 06:18 AM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

It was her fault that she was grounded... why are we holding her in our thoughts and other board objectionable content that is presented that clearly marks a form of respect one would give someone that is either ill, dying, or need of help that is outside of their will or control?/
    First, I actually agree with you. It is her own fault that she was punished.

Then again, I understand Bushranger, since the punishment itself seems out of proportion to me.

But somehow I get the feeling of a déjà vu, from this thread.

And quite some more I remember of her complaining that she doesn't really get along with her mother and siblings.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Mainly because the punishment seems out of proportion. MC will be unable to get on for a month, because she messed up on one occasion. While it may be not be appropriate to hold her in the same position as people who are ill/dying/in need of help, she can still be missed.
    My memory may be faulty, I am old after all, but I don't think this is a "one time occasion". Seems I recall other threads about similar circumstances lately. And as a parent, I don't even think I'd say this is out of proportion with the crime. We're only hearing her version of the story. Perhaps "I forgot to say I was going to the mall after school" was more accurately "I still wasn't home three hours after I was expected to be and my parents didn't know where I was and had no way to find me or contact me". I somehow doubt mother would be out looking frantically if she were just ten minutes late.

When my daughter was her age I would be mightily upset if she failed to be wherever she told me she was going to be. It's a worrisome thing for a parent to not know where your children are in this day and age (especially if said child is a young girl) and it's important enough to make an impression about how important it is that I don't think drastic punishment for the sake making that impression is uncalled for at all.

But that's me.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    MC forgot to let her mom know she was going to the mall with her friends after school today...and has been grounded for a month as a result. She asked me to let y'all know this, please keep my imouto in your thoughts and prayers.
    im just curious as to HOW you aquired this information.
    edit @V: okay.
    Moon called, good luck.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2008-01-17 at 07:35 AM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

She sent me a frantic PM before her mom got home, and then another (presumably "last request") PM after her mother returned, asking me to let everyone know that she'd be gone.

I don't go airing everything people tell me privately out here in public here on the boards. But I guess I should clarify things a little bit.

From what she said, it seems that, having recovered enough from her cold to go to school yesterday, she didn't remember that she'd arranged to go to the arcade after school with her friends, and didn't realise she'd forgotten to tell her mom until she got back home and found her gone. And then couldn't remember her mom's cellphone number to let her know she was safe.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2008-01-17 at 07:28 AM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for telling me. I can see why she'd forget something like that considering what her week was like. I don't think the other 2 occasions sounded relevant to tis unless her mother just likes being awkward (unless Moon Called was missing something out, I fail to see how spending too much time on a forum can be a problem, and I fail to see how banning someone from doing something they like can have any real effect on a subject that the person may naturally be weak in).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

frown Re: Moon Called will return in a month...

I agree. I'm mostly addicted to the Internet, and, with no false modesty, I do REALLY well in school. Ahem. On a more related topic; If you're not back in a month, I'll find out where you live and kidnap you and take you back to the Playground! Well, we'll miss you, Moon Called.
    Thank you Tiffanie Lirle for the totally awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    So? This is the town. We don't listen to the laws of reality.
    We rewrote it for our own convenience.
    In memory of Gary Gygax, 1938-2008

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that I think about it, If MC's mother didn't have time to help her with maths herself, couldn't she try fidning games on the internet which would help before getting MC to take dated screen prints of her performances? That actually stands a good chance of actually having some benefit (turning it into a punishment seems especially ridiculous considering how it was implied that MC's other grades were okay).
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

To Moon Called

May ever well be thy way ye wend
    And ever glorious be thy end
    Long ye not nor overmuch pine
    For friends so true, long-sundered, we
    Ever thee, in our hearts shall be
    Moan ye not nor groan over thy dam's fine
    For she loves ye more
    Than ever we could confess
    Forbearance, I beg ye to profess
    Dig well the Dean's lore
    Earn back her trust
    Be not afire with wanderlust
    Fear not the cold nor the dark
    In prayer, in pledge, in sighing thought
    Here we'll ever hold thee, this sanctum wrought
    Of friends' wellwishes, of songs of sighing, hark!
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with the others in that, while regretable, wasn't entirely out of MC's hands. For one, I can buy the forgetting but there had to have been someone she could have gotten in contact with for her moms number.

Second it is NOT inappropriate to stop someone from doing something that takes up an inordinate amount of time when other areas of their life are suffering, such as school. They might be weak in the area, but that usually means that by devoting a little extra time to it, they can bring the grade up.

And not all people can be addicted to something and maintain good grades.

So I'm with the others and am siding with MC's mom. This coming from a girl who was grounded from the internet more than once in high school.

Cheers,
    Syka
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Ah, to be young and never ever allowed outside. Them were the days. Seriously though, this person has it lucky. I remember once I was ten minutes late for dinner and my parents locked me in a tiny closet. At the bottom of a lake!

25. - Top - End - #25

Sorry. =/
    Good point. My parents would be very worried if I did something like that. However, less worried if I left a note or something.
    I sympathize with both MC and her mom, with the fact that my parents would do something similar in my case, and I hate not being online.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgaelbert
    Physics couldn't keep you occupied?
    We will never speak of this again....
    Haha. You Stalker. :P
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"Out w. friends at mall" > fridge magnet > fridge door != rocket science

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The "keep her in our thoughts and prayers" thing was a bit too much, IMHO. It's the kind of thing you say when someone is ill or hospitalized with a risk of death...

This is just a minor thing, and one that she brought upon herself, dunno. I hope she comes back soon, of course. But I trust her mom's judgement.

And regarding this kind of things happening to her regularly, if her parents do think she spends too much time in the net and that it is a bad thing for her, I understand that they try to prevent it. I'm addicted to it myself, and being an adult man I can see the negative things it can bring, even more for a teenager.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well. Let her know that we'll still be here. Waiting. Watching.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Being a semi-rebellious teenager myself, and having read a few parenting books to anticipate my mom's reaction to stuff I do, I'd have to say Moon Called's mom is probably at fault.

Allow me to elaborate. I know from experiance that when a parent is worried, they overreact. If I show up an hour late from school, they would be worried, and probably ground me for a month. But the next day, they'd come in and ask why I was late. "I was studying at Will's house, and lost track of time. Sorry." They'd tell me to not do it again, but probably shorten the sentace to a few days. I don't have a cell phone, and I assume neither does MC. If she did, her mom could have called her.

Teenagers screw up. We do it multiple times daily. And there are a million things she could do worse than going out with her friends and forgetting to call. And seriously, a month? A month with no computer, and presumably no RL friend contact.

It's ok to care about your child and try to protect them. Smothering them by overreacting to problems and barring them from social contact of any sort? Not as ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow

that makes me feel grateful for the fact that i can go where I want when I want to an be home when I want to, but then again If I ever mess up bigtime I'm on my own.

But Seriously different parents react differently, one of my friends is 17 and has to be home by supper and then is limited till like 8 or so unless it's a special situation. Actually It's like that with a lot of my friends, which is sad because i'm free at night and they aren't.

I've notice that restrictions get tighter as you get older in the adolescence age, as parents start to fear more and more of their children becoming degenerates and losing control of them they start to either A. tighten the reins or B. Go into Deception and watch everything you do, calling other parents to see if you are where you are supposed to, or getting on computers to look up website history, and calling phone companys for their text messages.

Another Friend of mine has been subject to this and we have came across his moms car across the road at from places we were and following us once while i was driving.

I lost her and he got punished for it. Why? because we "weren't where he said we would be" even though we were, we just took another route, and we believe she couldn't find the place so she just "assumed" he wasn't there.

Parents are kooks and chances are, when we become one we probably will become one to.

That sounds depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtiburon on Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy games are meant to be single player, epically deep stories, massive character depth, AND A GOD DAMN LINEUP BATTLE! I hate that free roam ****... There needs to be a world map, and an airship. Those are the basics that should never be abandoned in a FF game... Otherwise, it's just not a final fantasy, it's something else.