New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Spoiler
    Show

Nothing much to say... a bit amazed how well the telepathy between Lumillion (what the...?) and Deku works. But while it feels like hardly anything happened, what did happen was well done.
    And we are left with a teaser about Shigaraki trying to negotiate and horn girl having some super power... which is not surprising but still.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing someone in obvious distress and not being able to help for strategic reasons must be difficult for someone like Deku (or anyone, really). But it could have ended very badly if Togata hadn't covered for him and Eri hadn't run back to the boss.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing someone in obvious distress and not being able to help for strategic reasons must be difficult for someone like Deku (or anyone, really). But it could have ended very badly if Togata hadn't covered for him and Eri hadn't run back to the boss.
    Spoiler
    Show

Deku doesn't realize it yet but Togata just saved his god damn life. This is the biggest, greatest fear in this series. You don't know what the villain's quirk is until they use it. When you get someone like Overhaul, that's TOO LATE. It's honestly horrifying an idea, and I was really worried how this would go.

I also feel really bad for Eri she's cute and I hope she has a happy ending in all of this. Don't hurt the small horned child!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I wonder if Eri is involved in the creation of all the masked minions?

Does seem a little like they are being treated like disposeable. But someone so smart as the boss should know better than to just randomly waste pawns life like that. Especially since he chided Shigaraki for doing the same.
    And i do wonder now about how the actual negotiations will go? i Do kinda hope our favorite nemesis will continue to grow and mature into a proper opponent for Deku.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #905

New chapter of Vigilantes! Apparently My Hero is going on a break, at least in the American Shonen Jump!
    Spoiler
    Show

We open with...a very weird reference to the Kamatachi yokai, and the reveal that while he's a fairly vanilla guy, Gentle-Man doesn't kink shame. Good for him. He tried to solve this problem without violence.

Knucklerduster disagrees with this idea and punches them to bits and pieces.

After that bit we get some more advancement of the plot, with Honey-chan giving out more Black to another villain, a big tough boy that Knuckleduster dusts up with his fists, and apparently that's what was bugging him. He wants to fight huge men. MANY STRONG MEN AWAIT HIM. I think it'll be more than that though.

We end the chapter with the reveal that, at least in some degree,e Honey's a trap, in that she dates older men for money and then likely gives them the black. Fascinating. Vigilantes is shaping up to be pretty interesting, I think.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter of Vigilantes! Apparently My Hero is going on a break, at least in the American Shonen Jump!
    Spoiler
    Show

We open with...a very weird reference to the Kamatachi yokai, and the reveal that while he's a fairly vanilla guy, Gentle-Man doesn't kink shame. Good for him. He tried to solve this problem without violence.

Knucklerduster disagrees with this idea and punches them to bits and pieces.

After that bit we get some more advancement of the plot, with Honey-chan giving out more Black to another villain, a big tough boy that Knuckleduster dusts up with his fists, and apparently that's what was bugging him. He wants to fight huge men. MANY STRONG MEN AWAIT HIM. I think it'll be more than that though.

We end the chapter with the reveal that, at least in some degree,e Honey's a trap, in that she dates older men for money and then likely gives them the black. Fascinating. Vigilantes is shaping up to be pretty interesting, I think.
    Spoiler: dafuq? (excuse my French)
    Show

So, I'm fine with gentle-man being nice to the perverts (who are a pretty weird idea for enemies) because... well, having a kink is fine. Molesting women over it is not. Or stealing. Also, no surprise Koichi got beat up, it was obvious people would assume he was with them...
    So, minor complaint... that panel where Knuckle shows up... the fact that you can see him punching the guy mid sentence before you even start reading... it seriously irritates me. In a show obviously it would work, but here you instantly know he's not going to be able to finish and somehow that ruins the moment. For me, anyway. But yes, violence to solve problems!
    But he's only using as much violence as he has to. That's... nice, I guess?

The fight with the baddie of the week was decent, as always though while I can follow the logic of him being strong but slow I guess Knuckle is pretty sure of himself if he risks taking one of these punches... then again, it's all but made clear he's a hero more to beat up guys than to stop crime.

My big weird thing... I think I have to disagree with Zodi here? Though, I guess both things are possibly, but I read it not so much as a honey-trap but as her being... well, I'll say prostitute for lack of a better word. As in, he knows what he's getting into. At least mostly. (Well, apart from whatever trigger-related she might plan to do with him) Like... our villain is a highschooler and a prostitute! What the hell, vigilantes? This seems a bit too mature for... I don't know. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems too mature to me, even if the stories also deal with death and perverts.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #907

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: dafuq? (excuse my French)
    Show

So, I'm fine with gentle-man being nice to the perverts (who are a pretty weird idea for enemies) because... well, having a kink is fine. Molesting women over it is not. Or stealing. Also, no surprise Koichi got beat up, it was obvious people would assume he was with them...
    So, minor complaint... that panel where Knuckle shows up... the fact that you can see him punching the guy mid sentence before you even start reading... it seriously irritates me. In a show obviously it would work, but here you instantly know he's not going to be able to finish and somehow that ruins the moment. For me, anyway. But yes, violence to solve problems!
    But he's only using as much violence as he has to. That's... nice, I guess?

The fight with the baddie of the week was decent, as always though while I can follow the logic of him being strong but slow I guess Knuckle is pretty sure of himself if he risks taking one of these punches... then again, it's all but made clear he's a hero more to beat up guys than to stop crime.

My big weird thing... I think I have to disagree with Zodi here? Though, I guess both things are possibly, but I read it not so much as a honey-trap but as her being... well, I'll say prostitute for lack of a better word. As in, he knows what he's getting into. At least mostly. (Well, apart from whatever trigger-related she might plan to do with him) Like... our villain is a highschooler and a prostitute! What the hell, vigilantes? This seems a bit too mature for... I don't know. I can't put my finger on it but it just seems too mature to me, even if the stories also deal with death and perverts.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well I mean I also agree that she's a quote unquote prostitute. It's just that in Japan there is a specific type of "thing" school girls do with regards to dating older men for money. Sometimes it leads to the sex and sometimes they just wanna hang out with a cute girl. It's just kind of a Japanese thing, I just can't remember the name of it.'

It's definitely frowned upon, and showing that she does it kind of cements that yeah she's a "bad person" as far as their cultural lens is concerned.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Vigilantes
    Show
    So all these guys are just data points for some experiment? Seems like a pretty risky way to go about it. Each subject apprehended gives the authorities a lead to go on. Mindless quirk-related rampage with black tongue tend to stand out among the cases. Granted it looks like the authorities aren't making too much progress right now, but that might change.

The three pervert opening kind of went over my head. I get it's a stock character type for Japanese manga but, I don't know. It just felt a bit weird to have gentleman chatting so casually with them. Knuckleduster was right to sock them, drugs or no. Maybe I'm getting too old to find panty snatching buffoons funny.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler: Vigilantes
    Show
    So all these guys are just data points for some experiment? Seems like a pretty risky way to go about it. Each subject apprehended gives the authorities a lead to go on. Mindless quirk-related rampage with black tongue tend to stand out among the cases. Granted it looks like the authorities aren't making too much progress right now, but that might change.

The three pervert opening kind of went over my head. I get it's a stock character type for Japanese manga but, I don't know. It just felt a bit weird to have gentleman chatting so casually with them. Knuckleduster was right to sock them, drugs or no. Maybe I'm getting too old to find panty snatching buffoons funny.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually cool to see that Gentle-man probably could of became a good hero if he had gone legit. He has the right temperment for it. These guys are just weirdos, you don't need to go Bakugou on them. They're goofs and creepy and weird and they're a strange reference to Kamatachi but they don't...DESERVE to be punched like that? You could probably just like, hand cuff them. If they tried to stop you you'd just swat them like a bad dog.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well I mean I also agree that she's a quote unquote prostitute. It's just that in Japan there is a specific type of "thing" school girls do with regards to dating older men for money. Sometimes it leads to the sex and sometimes they just wanna hang out with a cute girl. It's just kind of a Japanese thing, I just can't remember the name of it.'

It's definitely frowned upon, and showing that she does it kind of cements that yeah she's a "bad person" as far as their cultural lens is concerned.
    I know it's a thing in Japan but other crimes happen there as well... and yeah, she's a villain and the recent chapter of the main story suggests possibly worse things somehow this makes me reeeeeally uncomfortable. I can't say why exactly, I'll admit.

@Haruspex You're totally justified in not finding it okay but the thing is, in terms of curing these people, or, making them stop long term, convincing them is more helpful than hitting them. They won't just learn a lesson by violence and unless you plan to kill them...
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Did like this bit as well. It were kinda refreshing that at least Gentle-Man would not just scream hentai and overreact in typical japanese fashion. It is really sad that his Quirk were not enough to cut it in the pro scene.

Well.. as a few others have pointed out then socking them one does absolutely nothing to stop their crime spree. And in attempting to stop a relatively minor crime (theft/harasment) then Knuckleduster perform a major one (violent assult).

Well.. the Japanese has so many other stupid cultural ideas. So i really dont see why i should allow this one to color my view of someone.
    Though not like randomly drugging people is not bad enough.

Also, wonder if there are laws in place against quirk enhancement. Else i would think it would be easier to just pay test subjects.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, I'm not advocating the use of violence to correct criminal behaviours, though I realize that it might have come across that way. I was just thinking that the entire scene seemed to be making light of what the skating perverts were doing. Oh hi you molest people and steal their underwear off their bodies? You can't just buy them from a store, lololol.

Of course, talking them down into turning themselves in and/or stopping is the preferable option to beating them, though we don't know how far Gentleman would have gotten; the three didn't show any remorse as far as I could see.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree that gentlemen would make a fine hero if he wasn't a quitter in his youth.

Basically the only hero school exam we saw is related to Yuuei, which is the top best school in the country. I assume there are many lesser schools with hero program that doesn't need you to defeat a giant robot for its entrance exam.

Also this is just conjencture, related to that the only hero license exam we saw is related to yuuei and it's school provisional exam. I assume someone who didn't enter a hero school could actually still get hero license equivalent to how someone who never went to high school can get a GED diploma, though it'd be harder because he didn't spend 3 years of his life specifically for it, again just like how getting GED diploma is hard for working person compared to a high school diploma.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I'm not advocating the use of violence to correct criminal behaviours, though I realize that it might have come across that way. I was just thinking that the entire scene seemed to be making light of what the skating perverts were doing. Oh hi you molest people and steal their underwear off their bodies? You can't just buy them from a store, lololol.
    They were purely being a nuisance though, calling what they did molest is certainly overdoing it. Their actions mainly seemed to provoke outrage and anger.
    And in assulting them violently Knuckleduster suddenly turned into the biggest criminal. Those morons should just quietly have been arrested by the police. And dealt with by the normal justice system.

I agree that gentlemen would make a fine hero if he wasn't a quitter in his youth.

Basically the only hero school exam we saw is related to Yuuei, which is the top best school in the country. I assume there are many lesser schools with hero program that doesn't need you to defeat a giant robot for its entrance exam.
    I do think calling him a quitter is a bit unfair. It does seem fairly clear that the schools to a large degree judge people on the strenght and utility of their quirks. And Gentle-Man just dont have a really useful one.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    They were purely being a nuisance though, calling what they did molest is certainly overdoing it. Their actions mainly seemed to provoke outrage and anger.
    And in assulting them violently Knuckleduster suddenly turned into the biggest criminal. Those morons should just quietly have been arrested by the police. And dealt with by the normal justice system.

I do think calling him a quitter is a bit unfair. It does seem fairly clear that the schools to a large degree judge people on the strenght and utility of their quirks. And Gentle-Man just dont have a really useful one.
    I guess calling him a quitter is unfair. But I guess that separate legitimate heroes and wannabees a bit more. Because you can see that his quirk _can_ be useful if he train it, and in the recent chapters of main manga the lesson is basically "there's no useless quirk, your quirk can be strong or weak depending on your creativity and your training."

But I'll give it that people with legitimately powerful quirk would have easier time, like in all thing in life.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

I guess calling him a quitter is unfair. But I guess that separate legitimate heroes and wannabees a bit more. Because you can see that his quirk _can_ be useful if he train it, and in the recent chapters of main manga the lesson is basically "there's no useless quirk, your quirk can be strong or weak depending on your creativity and your training."
    I kinda disagree with that, i dont think its the lesson of the last few chapters. To me that seemed more like "strong quirks can initially be a little hard to control"

17. - Top - End - #917

Right, I can't disagree with your view on that, but what I take from the last few chapters can be summarized as "There is no useless stand quirk, your stand quirk is as useful as how the owner use it." I guess I watch too much JoJo where that's the basic tenet of the series.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

If Mineta and the Earbud girl (I've forgotten her name) can enter Yuuei with their quirks, his mobility quirk could've made it in if he'd trained properly.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

19. - Top - End - #919

And as I said, I'm not talking about Yuuei. I'm sure there are minor schools with hero program that doesn't ask you to beat giant robots as entrance exam, and don't ask you to get provisional exam in first year and such. Basically, "minor" superheroes exists.
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-03-13 at 07:23 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

If Mineta and the Earbud girl (I've forgotten her name) can enter Yuuei with their quirks, his mobility quirk could've made it in if he'd trained properly.
    Well.. Mineta is a weird fluke that should have failed purely on his personality and physique. Earbud girl on the other hand has a quirk with both solid detection abilities and close combat applications.

As for minor super hero schools. We have not been told or shown of any. And i cant think the entry requirements would be to much lower.

I see it a little like how special forces also need to set some rather tough demands for endurance and strenght. Because thats whats needed for the task they face.
    Its simular with super heroes. They need to be able to deal with someone that has a strong quirk and are going on a rampage.

21. - Top - End - #921

As for minor super hero schools. We have not been told or shown of any. And i cant think the entry requirements would be to much lower.
    There's Ketsubushu academy, for instance (where the joking gal who likes Eraserhead teaches). Also in the provisional hero license arc, we see that there's hundreds of students, they're all from various minor hero schools other than Yuuei and Shiketsu. Stain was also from some unnamed minor hero school.

I don't have time look for reference, so I can't give anything concrete, this is mostly just my personal reading obviously, but my read is that there's actually many hero schools, and most of them is actually relatively closer to ordinary high school than Yuuei. Yuuei is Special with capital S, where their sport week replaced The Olympic as japan's sport show.

Also this guy exists.

http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/...saki_Mizushima

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

Well.. Mineta is a weird fluke that should have failed purely on his personality and physique. Earbud girl on the other hand has a quirk with both solid detection abilities and close combat applications.
    And Gentle-Man's has mobility and close combat applications. She's also worked hard to explore the extent of the detection abilities and to use it in combat, no reason he wouldn't have been able to hone his quirk as well.

Even Moonfish is considered a big time villain and his quirk is dental manipulation. We've seen again and again that how one uses their quirk mattter much more than how inherently strong it is.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

There's Ketsubushu academy, for instance (where the joking gal who likes Eraserhead teaches). Also in the provisional hero license arc, we see that there's hundreds of students, they're all from various minor hero schools other than Yuuei and Shiketsu. Stain was also from some unnamed minor hero school.
    Oh yeah, i do know about those, its just that as such i dont think of them as minor, just less prestigeous compared to Yuuei. At least quirkwise they did not seem that much weaker, and with all the competition we have been told takes place in the Hero world, then i cant believe their physical entry requirement are that lower.

And Gentle-Man's has mobility and close combat applications. She's also worked hard to explore the extent of the detection abilities and to use it in combat, no reason he wouldn't have been able to hone his quirk as well.

Even Moonfish is considered a big time villain and his quirk is dental manipulation. We've seen again and again that how one uses their quirk mattter much more than how inherently strong it is.
    Well.. are there that much aplications in his quirk? so far it mainly seems like he can move at the speed of a small scooter. But sadly so can someone with a bike.

As for Moonfish, then he is a very bad example. You cant talk about how the use matters than how strong it is, when your example has a really, really strong quirk. Moonfish were straight up shredding his way though a forest, thats not a weak quirk. Its just an absurd one.

24. - Top - End - #924

Oh yeah, i do know about those, its just that as such i dont think of them as minor, just less prestigeous compared to Yuuei. At least quirkwise they did not seem that much weaker, and with all the competition we have been told takes place in the Hero world, then i cant believe their physical entry requirement are that lower.

Well.. are there that much aplications in his quirk? so far it mainly seems like he can move at the speed of a small scooter. But sadly so can someone with a bike.

As for Moonfish, then he is a very bad example. You cant talk about how the use matters than how strong it is, when your example has a really, really strong quirk. Moonfish were straight up shredding his way though a forest, thats not a weak quirk. Its just an absurd one.
    I mean the idea is that Gentle-Man could probably learn to increase his speed, or reduce the amount of points of contact he requires to swiffer about, or make it be like his elbows and knees instead of just his feet and palms. Alternatively all Gentle-Man really needs to do is learn how to do Mugen's capoera break dancing fighting style from Samurai Champloo and suddenly he's a tornado of undefeatable might. You can't knock me down if I'm already on the ground.

Moonfish's quirk is super weak and pathetic. He can move his teeth around. It took a lot of work and dedication to make his teeth become growing branching spike lasers like they are now. His quirk is something that on the surface would appear weak (the power to move your teeth) that he has clearly perfected into a brutal killing form.

25. - Top - End - #925

Doing so without any tools is a significant thing to do? Like, if someone could run 40 kph for whichever long he want, going through alleys and markets and buildings, imagine the utility in an urban chase.

Also I'm really sorry, I really don't mean to be rude, but if you say his quirk is "being able to move as fast as a scooter" I don't really think you're actually paying attention. Because specifically, the twist is that it's not his actual power, like how "moving in fast and precise manner" is not actually Star Platinum's power in Stardust Crusaders, or "changing his limbs to be incorporeal" is actually pipboy senpai's power (I assume untrained, that's what people think his quirk was originally). His quirk is closer to be "Ability to slide on any surface that he contact with three of his limbs" which can even be used for vertical movement and defense. And he literally said that he can move faster, it's just that it's dangerous and he never did any faster than a bicycle after he got injured, which he improve with a biker gear for protection. Those are not even alternate reading, it's specifically mentioned, word by word, in the manga. Sure it's not super powerful quirk like "ability to lift 100 tons" or whatever, but still super useful quirk. And trained, I assume those can be made much stronger, especially the speed.

Basically in a lot of stories and specifically this manga, usually there's "obvious use of a power" and "what the power is actually about," and it's also specifically mentioned, word by word, in the main manga (that you can re-register your quirk if it's not what you think it is). For example, if you have a quirk that you registered as "ability to summon water" it might actually be "ability to control water vapor in the air." Someone with power that he thought as "ability to change tv channel with a thought" might actually have "ability to interface with wifi" but he never tried it. Someone that thought has "ability to heal wound" might have "ability to control speed of cell metabolism" that he never thought to try or train.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean the idea is that Gentle-Man could probably learn to increase his speed, or reduce the amount of points of contact he requires to swiffer about, or make it be like his elbows and knees instead of just his feet and palms. Alternatively all Gentle-Man really needs to do is learn how to do Mugen's capoera break dancing fighting style from Samurai Champloo and suddenly he's a tornado of undefeatable might. You can't knock me down if I'm already on the ground.
    Even some standard ground-based submission fighting styles like Jiu-Jitsu or Judo would have some interesting twists when you can make you and your opponent move while you're trying to pin/submit him.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

And if you knock yourself down you spare me the effort of doing so, while at the same time putting your head in the perfect heigh to get kicked. There is a reason for why to many martial arts put so much efford into avoiding getting knocked down while going itto other. Its something that leaves you at a serious disadvantage.

Moonfish's quirk is super weak and pathetic. He can move his teeth around. It took a lot of work and dedication to make his teeth become growing branching spike lasers like they are now. His quirk is something that on the surface would appear weak (the power to move your teeth) that he has clearly perfected into a brutal killing form.
    Excuse me.. did i miss some side story that told the story of Moonfish?
    Because else i would really prefer if you did not present a idea as a fact. The only Moonfish we have seen is the stuff of nightmares, and i would like to see you tell some with a mouthful of doom-laser-teeth that their quirk is weak..
    So far what we have been shown is that his Quirk is to grow and control his superhard teeth as he desires.

Doing so without any tools is a significant thing to do? Like, if someone could run 40 kph for whichever long he want, going through alleys and markets and buildings, imagine the utility in an urban chase.
    Well.. sadly thats not much different from what you can get a police dog to do. With the added benefit that the dog can track you by smell, and dont need pay.
    Else, yes you have managed to run.. for example.. Moonfish up in a dark alley, what now?

Also I'm really sorry, I really don't mean to be rude, but if you say his quirk is "being able to move as fast as a scooter" I don't really think you're actually paying attention. Because specifically, the twist is that it's not his actual power, like how "moving in fast and precise manner" is not actually Star Platinum's power in Stardust Crusaders, or "changing his limbs to be incorporeal" is actually pipboy senpai's power (I assume untrained, that's what people think his quirk was originally). His quirk is closer to be "Ability to slide on any surface that he contact with three of his limbs" which can even be used for vertical movement and defense. And he literally said that he can move faster, it's just that it's dangerous and he never did any faster than a bicycle after he got injured, which he improve with a biker gear for protection. Those are not even alternate reading, it's specifically mentioned, word by word, in the manga. Sure it's not super powerful quirk like "ability to lift 100 tons" or whatever, but still super useful quirk. And trained, I assume those can be made much stronger, especially the speed.
    We have not seen him move up and down walls yet, so until he manages to do that i will stick to my "able to move as fast as a scooter comment". And we have so far no hard evidence for his speed limit being much above that.
    And yes, it is a really useful quirk, it could make him a great messenger or something like that. But so far we dont have any evidence its much use when you need to take down someone with a upper 1% quirk on a rampage.

Baring plot armor, then in a risky situation then i would prefer a police officer with a taser over Gentle-Man 9 times out of 10.

Basically in a lot of stories and specifically this manga, usually there's "obvious use of a power" and "what the power is actually about," and it's also specifically mentioned, word by word, in the main manga (that you can re-register your quirk if it's not what you think it is). For example, if you have a quirk that you registered as "ability to summon water" it might actually be "ability to control water vapor in the air." Someone with power that he thought as "ability to change tv channel with a thought" might actually have "ability to interface with wifi" but he never tried it. Someone that thought has "ability to heal wound" might have "ability to control speed of cell metabolism" that he never thought to try or train.
    It might be said so, but what we have more been actually shown is that the quirks dont change much. Whats developed is the applications of it.
    And what happens in other stories really dont matter much here. I mean, were this Bleach then Gentle-Man would already be on his second power boost because All for one were secretly his dad..

Even some standard ground-based submission fighting styles like Jiu-Jitsu or Judo would have some interesting twists when you can make you and your opponent move while you're trying to pin/submit him.
    It would be super useful in a judo fight. Sadly judo is less useful against someone trying to punch your face in. Or for that matter 50% heavier than you.
    (and the last part is not to hard, Gentle-Man is sadly not to big)

28. - Top - End - #928

And if you knock yourself down you spare me the effort of doing so, while at the same time putting your head in the perfect heigh to get kicked. There is a reason for why to many martial arts put so much efford into avoiding getting knocked down while going itto other. Its something that leaves you at a serious disadvantage.

We have not seen him move up and down walls yet, so until he manages to do that i will stick to my "able to move as fast as a scooter comment". And we have so far no hard evidence for his speed limit being much above that.
    And yes, it is a really useful quirk, it could make him a great messenger or something like that. But so far we dont have any evidence its much use when you need to take down someone with a upper 1% quirk on a rampage.
    He used it to ride up the arm of that one huge guy, and he uses his quirk to get up to his apartment on top of that building. Also, it's really hard to hit someone on the ground who's going as fast as a vehicle, even if it's a motorized scooter. That's like...actually fast still?

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

He used it to ride up the arm of that one huge guy, and he uses his quirk to get up to his apartment on top of that building. Also, it's really hard to hit someone on the ground who's going as fast as a vehicle, even if it's a motorized scooter. That's like...actually fast still?
    Alright if he can get up a vertical surface then it is a bit better than i remembered. Would make him a good firefighter/resque worker then.
    But else, when his mobility is so bad he dont dare going that fast normally then i dont think its going to be of much use. I mean yes its going to be hard to hit him, especially if he is going away from you. But it will also be really hard for him to hit.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

Alright if he can get up a vertical surface then it is a bit better than i remembered. Would make him a good firefighter/resque worker then.
    But else, when his mobility is so bad he dont dare going that fast normally then i dont think its going to be of much use. I mean yes its going to be hard to hit him, especially if he is going away from you. But it will also be really hard for him to hit.
    But that's the thing. He himself said that he doesn't dare go faster because he's afraid he might crash and he doesn't have enhanced durability. So:

- Gentle-man could go faster, he's just scared to do so.
    - Training to improve his reflexes and maneuvering could make him much better at avoiding a crash, and therefore make him more confident to push his speed further.

I mean, it's not a top tier quirk by any means, but there's a fair amount of potential in the ability to just zip on the ground and on walls as fast as a car, and it's not like there's not a bunch of heroes with also pretty middling-seeming quirks.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2017-03-13 at 06:24 PM.